Unsure of Future

Gurl_Plz
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unsure of Future

Post by Gurl_Plz »

I should first start off saying that I am 16. About seven months ago, I came to the conclusion that I didn’t want to go to college. Truthfully, I never wanted to go, but I’d trick myself and everybody else into thinking that I wanted to be this ‘successful business hotshot who had her life together’. My problem comes from what I should do next. My main passion in life is music and writing(cliche, right?) and it’s the only thing in my life that I’m good at. I know the chances of earning any kind of live able income is slim to none, and I realize and except this because I’m going to make music no matter what. I was kind of wondering if I should have some sort of backup plan? There’s a lot of career technical high schools where I live, and I was thinking about enrolling in dental hygienist courses. Trade schools are also something that I’ve thought about. I come from a poor family and don’t have expensive tastes and would live quite modestly because that is what I’m used to. I’d be perfectly content working as a manager at Kohls or something of that nature. However, I don’t know if this type of thinking is necessarily ‘realistic’ as I am very idealistic in nature. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long ramby post.

Note: I should probably clarify that my passion for music and writing has nothing to do with me not going to college. I’m not trying to ‘chase a dream’ so to speak and accept whatever becomes of it. I know deep down that college/university is just not for me.

Branflakes
Debater
Debater

Re: Unsure of Future

Post by Branflakes »

Personally I chose to go to college, but you don't by any means need to go to college to live a happy and/or successful life. Higher education will always be there if you change your mind. I graduated from nursing school at 22 and most of my classmates were in their upper 20's early 30's, and one of them was 54 years old. At 16 you have plenty of time to explore a variety of options and find what you want to do, whether that involves college, trade school, or neither. No reason to rush into something that won't make you happy in the grand scheme of life. College is by no means necessary to have a well-paying, satisfying career.

Bumblebee88
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bumblebee88 »

I agree with ^

Gurl_Plz
Learner
Learner

Post by Gurl_Plz »

Branflakes wrote:Personally I chose to go to college, but you don't by any means need to go to college to live a happy and/or successful life. Higher education will always be there if you change your mind. I graduated from nursing school at 22 and most of my classmates were in their upper 20's early 30's, and one of them was 54 years old. At 16 you have plenty of time to explore a variety of options and find what you want to do, whether that involves college, trade school, or neither. No reason to rush into something that won't make you happy in the grand scheme of life. College is by no means necessary to have a well-paying, satisfying career.

Thank you so much for your advice! I think I’m going to ‘take it easy’ so to speak and not worry too much about college or trade schools etc. Since elementary school, I’ve been obsessed with figuring out my future and it’s caused me a lot of stress and anxiety over the years. Btw love your profile pic <3

clocksgotick
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by clocksgotick »

i relate so much

I_only_envy_cats
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by I_only_envy_cats »

Late to the party, but I mostly agree with what has been said. You are very mature for your age, so there's that. I have a bachelor's degree and I'm pretty good at what I studied, if I say so myself. Yet, I'm currently unemployed. Don't buy into this whole "you're nothing without a degreeeee" kind of thing and for the love of god, don't let people convince you that you will automatically find a stable job if you have one (it's only true for STEM degrees). And you don't have to be a "girlboss" to be valuable. And a degree doesn't make you smarter. It doesn't even make you more educated, because self-study is a thing. Don't do something you're not interested in just because society pressures you to do so. Of course, be realistic, but you seem to be doing well to be honest.

You say you like music. Try mastering an instrument, it's a valuable skill to have. Maybe go to a music academia or something (English is not my first language, and I have no idea where you live). Only time will tell. Good luck! ;)

Return to “Education”