Serious Discussions ( Why Is cultural appropriation Bad?)

aceisthebest
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Serious Discussions ( Why Is cultural appropriation Bad?)

Post by aceisthebest »

I can understand people who don’t appreciate ‘’culture appropriation’’ when a certain individual from a one culture is trying to display a different culture in a negative light, or demeaning specific practices of a another culture. However, I do not understand when particular people just start attacking another person, forcing their personal morals on them by saying things like ‘’oh you’re wearing a bindi and you are not even Indian’’, ‘’you are an insensitive person because you are appropriating culture’’. I see that similar comments or opinions are becoming a trend on the Internet. In fact, it’s almost impossible to see a photo of a non-oriental individual wearing a kimono (for instance), without the glaring accusation of ‘’cultural appropriation and insensitivity’’ from another person. I see people get increasingly angry and (in my opinion) unnecessarily irritable at other people on charges of ‘’cultural appropriation’’. But what I genuinely do not understand is WHY ‘’culture appropriation is a BAD or considered NEGATIVE. I have researched in VAIN to find reasons for WHY ‘’cultural appropriation’’ is BAD but I have not come across any substantial or convincing reasons. One argument that recurrently cropped up, (as I researched the cause behind the negative reactions of ‘’cultural appropriation’ ) ‘is that people who are appropriating a certain culture, are essentially ‘’getting away’’ with imitating a particular practice that individuals (belonging to that specific culture) are ridiculed or ostracized for pursuing.

I realize that this can be frustrating for individual who belongs to this culture. Moreover, I appreciate that is not easy/simple to observe someone practice or don certain acts/clothing of one’s culture without the fear of being looked down upon. I know it’s difficult to see an individual from another (dominant) culture practice a certain aspect of you culture that you have received negativity from. However, I do not understand WHY seeing your culture bloom, spread and being collectively appreciated is bad? I am Indian. If I see an individual who is NOT Indian don a bindi, why should I feel that they are ‘’ripping off my culture’’? Instead why shouldn’t I see this as an opportunity to observe people from other cultures appreciate and understand the beauty of the Indian culture and act upon that appreciation by incorporating aspects of the Indian culture into their daily lifestyle?
Being and Indian I know that not all bindi’s have religious value. In fact, I am positively certain that plastic bindi’s or the type of bindi’s that are USUALLY donned by non-Indians merely have a purpose of serving as decorative aesthetics. Furthermore, I have come across INDIANS who are not HINDU but wear similar bindi’s as jewelry or adornation in special occasions. If this particular Indian jewelry does not have relevance to a particular religion or group WHY is it OFFENSIVE?

From what I understand, the people who accuse others of ‘’cultural appropriation’’ are sending a message that cultural practices or clothing should simply be limited or available to individuals who belong to that culture. People with this opinion are literally portraying through accusations of ‘’cultural appropriation’’ that culture should not spread, and cannot be experienced or appreciated if you are not of that particular culture. In other words, it is basically saying that if you are not ‘black’, then on moral grounds, you are not allowed to create music that is mostly popular amongst black musicians; because that is ‘stealing’ from their culture. I feel, that instead of indulging in bitter thoughts of how your culture has been historically demeaned by another ‘dominant’ culture, why not see this as an opportunity to see your culture grow and be accepted? Why not experience the pride of your culture’s global acceptance rather than rant about how your culture has been mistreated? I am conveying that if your culture not being mistreated CURRENTLY, why should you bring up HISTORICAL instances of your culture being shamed? Why are you bent on focusing on the negative, when CURRENTLY nothing is negative occurring (aka you or your culture are NOT being brought down). Aren’t we encouraging MORE hate, misunderstanding, and bitterness between cultures? WHY can’t we accept each other cultures and accept the fact that CULTURES are meant to spread and be universally admired because they create strong bonds, and celebrate the background of individuals. Why can’t we be content that individuals of other ‘’dominant’’ cultures are finally beginning to view our culture in a positive light?

As an Indian am I not appropriating the western culture by wearing western clothes and watching western TV shows on a regular basis? Aren’t I shamelessly appropriating the other cultures and eating Italian and Arabic food, or listening to Portuguese music? Aren’t we all ‘’stealing’’ from the Anglo- Saxon culture by conversing in English?

I believe that if cultural appropriation was this harmful or negative, a lot of things would be drastically different. Firstly, we would not be able to communicate because without the existence of ’culture appropriation’’ English would not be a language that is spoken globally, nor would we able consume countless foods that are specific to particular cultures such as (fish and chips, curries, or noodles).

By sending this message that ‘’cultural appropriation is wrong’’ we are purposefully creating a path for more instances of misunderstanding, inaccurate stereotypes and aloofness between different cultures. We are causing different cultures to spread further and further apart without the foundation of sincere understanding and appreciation between them. We need to remember that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Fruitbatz2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Serious Discussions ( Why Is cultural appropriation Bad?

Post by Fruitbatz2 »

It mostly to do with the concept of white privilege. Since whites have not faced oppression, it's seen as disrespectful when a white person dresses up as a culture who has faced oppression.

I don't know, my opinion is kind of neutral on it, but that's basically why it's seen as bad. I just don't really care, tbh. Lol

aplesounsegoun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by aplesounsegoun »

People aren't against cultural appropriation, people are against cultural appropriation when the appropriation turns the culture into a costume.

When you wear something as a costume, you are wearing it because it's weird, abnormal and "other." How do you think that makes a person of that culture feel? This is the same logic people use to justify racism, bigotry, etc. That line of thinking is not okay.

If you incorporate something into your day to day life because you respect and understand it's origin, then that type of cultural appropriation is okay.

If you're wearing it to seem cool and edgy, it's not okay. If you're wearing it to coachella, a concert, as a Halloween costume, then it's really not okay.

Also, keep in mind that this is literally the FIRST time in history that minorities have had a say in how their culture is incorporated into the main stream culture. This is because society is starting to give minorities an equal voice. The important part of the cultural appropriation issue is that everyone continues to keep this line of dialogue open, instead of shutting down minorities by saying that they shouldn't be offended. (I am a minority btw).

We've been culturally appropriating African and Native American culture for centuries in America (headwear, etc). It's never been addressed because no one ever listened to how the minority culture felt about it. Let's not go back to that.

aplesounsegoun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by aplesounsegoun »

People aren't against cultural appropriation, people are against cultural appropriation when the appropriation turns the culture into a costume.

When you wear something as a costume, you are wearing it because it's weird, abnormal and "other." How do you think that makes a person of that culture feel? This is the same logic people use to justify racism, bigotry, etc. That line of thinking is not okay.

If you incorporate something into your day to day life because you respect and understand it's origin, then that type of cultural appropriation is okay.

If you're wearing it to seem cool and edgy, it's not okay. If you're wearing it to coachella, a concert, as a Halloween costume, then it's really not okay.

Also, keep in mind that this is literally the FIRST time in history that minorities have had a say in how their culture is incorporated into the main stream culture. This is because society is starting to give minorities an equal voice. The important part of the cultural appropriation issue is that everyone continues to keep this line of dialogue open, instead of shutting down minorities by saying that they shouldn't be offended. (I am a minority btw).

We've been culturally appropriating African and Native American culture for centuries in America (headwear, etc). It's never been addressed because no one ever listened to how the minority culture felt about it. Let's not go back to that.

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by RoseHammer »

I feel like you can appreciate a culture by using it's influences in whatever artform you have, that's what humans have done for thousands of years. But I do think there is a certain line where exaggerating and cheapening things ( like, say, putting a full Indian headdress on some hipster model for a photoshoot ) is kind of disrespectful.

And while I'm not necessarily offended, I can tell you that I'm annoyed asf by white ( or American really ) kids who get so into Japanese culture that they start saying they're actually Japanese on a spiritual level. They watch too much anime and manga and think that they're suddenly something else. Just no.

That being said, I think as with nearly everything on the internet some people do get waaay too touchy and misinterpret things. I love middle eastern culture, japanese culture, mesoamerican culture, ect. and my art is heavily influenced by certain styles derived from other cultures. But I do make a point of giving credit where it's due and not just act like I came up with all of it on my own.

aplesounsegoun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by aplesounsegoun »

Also, I'm not sure if you're in America....but minorities are often ostracized for participating in their own culture because it's seen as if they're refusing to assimilate. But it's okay for someone who's white to participate, and when they choose to participate in an offensive way like I said in my original post (i.e. turn it into a costume), they strip the culture from the item. So that's another reason why cultural misappropriation pisses a lot of people off.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about why people are against cultural appropriation and most people have the wrong idea about why people disapprove. A large part of that is because the discussion is still relatively new, but I hope my posts helped clarify some of your questions.

aceisthebest
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by aceisthebest »

^Yes, thanks. You actually did explain the controversy behind it pretty well. I mean,I have asked a bunch of people about this, but all I've really gotten is ''oh because it's ripping off another culture'' without them actually saying HOW. Well now, I know lol :)

aplesounsegoun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by aplesounsegoun »

aceisthebest wrote:^Yes, thanks. You actually did explain the controversy behind it pretty well. I mean,I have asked a bunch of people about this, but all I've really gotten is ''oh because it's ripping off another culture'' without them actually saying HOW. Well now, I know lol :)
Yea, it's definitely confusing. It's a really new topic and I don't think people have learned how to articulate it properly yet.

I won't lie, you'll meet extremists that say that you should never use a minority culture if you're white, and I don't agree with that. I don't think a lot of minorities do either. They're definitely extremists.

You will meet people that say it bothers them when white people use their culture even if it's not in a disrespectful way, and I think that's fine. They're not saying that they can't use it, just that they're bothered by it. I think that's a natural response to seeing someone not part of your "group" use something that has so much meaning to you when maybe you can't, or haven't been able to in the past.

alienrasta
Informer
Informer

Post by alienrasta »

I've been wondering the same thing and i'm glad this thread was made so I could be informed as well.

one thing I've wondered, is why african americans get mad if white people have dreads? I don't understand how that's cultural appropriation. I get if someone is displaying it in a negative light, or just for a costume like someone said up there but if someone just likes the style, why is it bad? would that mean people whose hair isn't naturally straight can't straighten their hair bc it's cultural appropriation to those whose hair is naturally straight? (that's a genuine question) i'm not trying to sound ignorant, i really just want to know. sorry if i said anything that offended someone

aplesounsegoun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by aplesounsegoun »

nicoleebxo wrote:I've been wondering the same thing and i'm glad this thread was made so I could be informed as well.

one thing I've wondered, is why african americans get mad if white people have dreads? I don't understand how that's cultural appropriation. I get if someone is displaying it in a negative light, or just for a costume like someone said up there but if someone just likes the style, why is it bad? would that mean people whose hair isn't naturally straight can't straighten their hair bc it's cultural appropriation to those whose hair is naturally straight? (that's a genuine question) i'm not trying to sound ignorant, i really just want to know. sorry if i said anything that offended someone
In order to say exactly what's happening, I would have to know all of the details about the situation you're referring too....but here are a few guesses as to why it's happening.

1. Remember, there's an important distinction between incorporating aspects of another culture because you respect that culture, and incorporating those aspects because YOU want to be seen as cool and edgy. The former implies that you believe that culture should be considered as normal and accepted. The latter implies that you don't think it should be accepted as mainstream and that's why you're participating in it. It's a small distinction that has huge implications with regards to how that person views race and culture. The non-black person with dreads being criticized in this particular situation might have done something to lead a black person to believe that the only reason they have dreads is because they want to be seen as edgy. Also remember, there are 41.7 million African Americans in America. Not everyone is going to have the same interpretation of someone's actions. That's why these type of situations are tricky. Unless we read someone's mind, we have no way of knowing. Most people tend to let these type of situations go because of that, but others get more emotionally agitated.

2. They may just be extremist and believe white people shouldn't be allowed to participate in minority culture in any way. I feel like very few people on both sides of the issue think this way though.

3. Regardless of whether a white person culturally appropriates in a respectful way or a disrespectful way, they will always be in a position of privilege. Their use of the minority culture will be seen by the vast majority as more acceptable than a minority's use of their own culture. When I brought my mom's ethnic food to school, no one talked to me. When a white girl brought it, they were cool and unique. It sucks. It really hurts. A lot of people have faced years of racism in America, and all of these memories are brought to the forefront when you see cultural appropriation. Ethnic culture is what ties us to our parents, grand-parents, great grand parents and other relatives that sacrificed everything so that we could have the privileges we have today. And how do we repay them? By not participating in our traditions because we're scared of being bullied. For a lot of minorities this struggle is a significant part of their formative years. So people tend to get really heated about it and jump to the worst conclusions. I'm not saying that it's okay. But sometimes all of these emotions get drudged up and people get really mad and direct their anger at the wrong person. Even if that person is not doing anything wrong.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I can understand why certain cultures get angry at people stealing their culture, but sometimes I think it can be taken a bit too far. Not long ago, my friend (Who is white) posted a selfie on Tumblr saying something like "Happy Saturday! :)" She happens to have dreads, and she's very proud of them, and all of a sudden she was attacked by not one, not two, but literally a dozen people telling her how disgusting she was, how she's racist, and how DARE she wear dreads because she's not allowed too and only black people are allowed to have them.

She got so upset she had to turn off her messages and delete the picture because she was getting so much hate, I really felt bad for her especially considering how much she adored her hair. She didn't get rid of the hair though

alienrasta
Informer
Informer

Cultural Appropriation

Post by alienrasta »

i know there was a topic on this already, but i wanted to make a new one for these pictures specifically. sorry if that's not allowed :oops:

how is this cultural appropriation?
what if you genuinely like the hair? i remember when i was a kid, i had pin-straight hair and always wanted curly hair, and as i got older, i now have wavy hair and constantly straighten it. most of the time whatever u have, u want the opposite. so what if thats the type of hair you've always desired? i'd take it as a compliment if i naturally had that type of hair and someone wanted to copy it and have it too. if you're wearing it as a costume or to be rude and pass urself off as "black", i understand how it's cultural appropriation. but other than that, i don't.

also: i know this may sound ignorant and like im an offended white person (which im not), i just want to know the answer. why is it okay for people who speak up against cultural appropriation to generalize white people and act as if we're all racist and privileged? i don't think u should base all people off of a couple people, no matter who.

alexjay
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Post by alexjay »

I don't think it is either. I personally know a white girl that naturally has hair that looks like just like that. If someone wants this hair or cornrows because they think it looks beautiful then freaking let them.. pisses me off when people say stuff like that bitch from the hunger games.. i think thats anti-progressive honestly.
<3

alienrasta
Informer
Informer

Post by alienrasta »

alexjay wrote:I don't think it is either. I personally know a white girl that naturally has hair that looks like just like that. If someone wants this hair or cornrows because they think it looks beautiful then freaking let them.. pisses me off when people say stuff like that bitch from the hunger games.. i think thats anti-progressive honestly.
yes!!!!!!! i saw that video of her complaining and i thought it made no sense

shutupnow

Post by shutupnow »

yes lol i saw this video and SO many people were like cultural appropriation and im like seriously? its just hair what if she loves it and wanted it for herself. People are doing too much its 2015 get over it

frenchfriesandpizza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by frenchfriesandpizza »

It's so immensely different to "culturally appropriate" by wearing stereotypical things as a costume to be racist in some way, like if you were to wear saggy pants, chains, a grill, blackface and THEN the hair style... But to say the hairstyle on its own shouldn't be worn by "white people" etc etc is just a wrong and racist way to think. People want segregation and voice it under the guise of cultural appropriation.. I love the melting and merging of cultures no matter what the race... EVEN white people have many different cultures. especially across the world, even just across the continent cultures are vastly different. If we all stuck to what we "belonged to" the world would be a very boring place.

It's all about intent. If you go around calling yourself Shaquisha and making "baby daddy" jokes while wearing the hairstyle, you're being a racist fuck... But without that malicious intent a hairstyle is a hairstyle is a hairstyle... And clothes are clothes. We're all individuals! If you believe something is beautiful you have a right to wear/do it, no matter what race or cultural background. People who say differently are unfortunately racist themselves. Tumblr has brought about some very interesting points of view.. Have you noticed it's mostly young white kids who have never struggled a day in their lives who fight so passionately about the "mayos staying in their lanes". The internet is such a crazy place

1million
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by 1million »

Imagine... whenever black folks dye their hair blonde or straighten it... if white folks complained about 'cultural appropriation'. But they don't... because 1) it's ridiculous and petty, 2) they'd fear being labeled as 'racist'.

courtesanlife
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by courtesanlife »

It's clear people don't even really understand what cultural appropriation is, yet they are upset when it is correctly used to describe certain situations. Pick up a book, or five. :roll:

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

1million wrote:Imagine... whenever black folks dye their hair blonde or straighten it... if white folks complained about 'cultural appropriation'. But they don't... because 1) it's ridiculous and petty, 2) they'd fear being labeled as 'racist'.
I don't have an opinion on this, but just to play devils advocate. A lot of people assume that when Black girls straighten their hair that they're trying to look white. Same with when Asian girls really want double lids or pale skin. Why is the reverse (white girls trying to get really kinky hair) not true?

Also cultural appropriation only occurs when it's majority cultures using minority cultures....so in America at least, it wouldn't be considered cultural appropriation if it was minorities using white culture.

Again, not saying that OP's post is cultural appropriation, but I just wanted to point out these discrepancies.

Kitten18
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kitten18 »

1million wrote:Imagine... whenever black folks dye their hair blonde or straighten it... if white folks complained about 'cultural appropriation'. But they don't... because 1) it's ridiculous and petty, 2) they'd fear being labeled as 'racist'.
White people aren't the only people with natural straight hair... so how is that even an argument. We Asians have straight hair too. Either way, I'm not going to make a fuss about how people choose to wear their hair.

Return to “Education”