High Schoolers

BornThisWay94

Re: High Schoolers

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Diorette wrote:
BornThisWay94 wrote:It's a nice language but it's very hard to learn (Well for me it was). It was fascinating though.
I'm with french just like you, I took it for 3 years at my school and my mom has tried to teach it but it's just too hard for me.

French was very easy for me to learn. I took it for a few years and I loved it.

The Doctor
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by The Doctor »

Nostalgia wrote:The book we use (Cambridge Latin Course I) is also a fantastic resource. It weaves a story into the lessons, which makes the class more engaging.
oh oh oh you just wait 'till you get to the green book! I did fine with the red book but with the blue and green ones I am literally DYING! The stage tests are still pretty easy, though. Since you're in Latin 1, tell me advise you: MEMORIZE THE ENDINGS AND VOCAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough! Just spend 10-20 minuets a day studying and it will aid you SO MUCH in Latin 2 and 3 or 4 if you take it! Really! I wish I worked harder in Latin 1 because now I'm in Latin 3 and it's too late to go back and study every single stage again. Please, learn from my mistaaaakkkkeeesss!!!!! :love2:

sous les étoiles
Informer
Informer

Post by sous les étoiles »

Grade: 11th
Favorite Class: AP English & TV Production
Loathed Class: Algebra 2
Best Grade Class: AP English & TV Production
Clubs, Extracurriculars: Cross Country, Spring Track
Anything Else?: I'm 100% done with school. I'm not looking forward to this year or senior year because I don't want to think about college.

lalal0ve
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lalal0ve »

Grade: 12
Favorite Class: History
Loathed Class: Phys Ed
Best Grade Class: French
Clubs, Extracurriculars: ...
Anything Else?: I like this one guy but he's kinda an ass. Oh and I cannot wait to graduate.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

The Doctor wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:The book we use (Cambridge Latin Course I) is also a fantastic resource. It weaves a story into the lessons, which makes the class more engaging.
oh oh oh you just wait 'till you get to the green book! I did fine with the red book but with the blue and green ones I am literally DYING! The stage tests are still pretty easy, though. Since you're in Latin 1, tell me advise you: MEMORIZE THE ENDINGS AND VOCAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough! Just spend 10-20 minuets a day studying and it will aid you SO MUCH in Latin 2 and 3 or 4 if you take it! Really! I wish I worked harder in Latin 1 because now I'm in Latin 3 and it's too late to go back and study every single stage again. Please, learn from my mistaaaakkkkeeesss!!!!! :love2:
Okay, GOT IT. Endings and vocab.
I keep confusing videt with venit. ARGH. (Sees/Comes)

almanac
Learner
Learner

Post by almanac »

everyone is talking about languages!!

right now i am in french 5 AP and arabic 2!!

i took 3 years of latin too, but they made me drop it this year cause it didn't fit into my schedule :(
i'm in my school's inaugural arabic 2 class :) our french teacher is also a native arabic speaker, so she's been teaching arabic 1 for a few years, and this year is the first time we get to do arabic 2!!

it's soo rewarding. :) like now we can write paragraphs w/ simple sentences and then you finish the paragraph, and look at what you've written, in a whole different alphabet! it's amazing!

and i LOOOVEEE french, i got to go to france for a foreign exchange program and it was the best experience ever. i want to go to mcgill for college, and then i'll be surrounded by "french" culture in north america, and and i can still speak english and won't feel completely alone. hopefully i am also going to europe this summer, and spending a lot of time in france. my penpal has an apartment in paris that she said i can stay in !!

~~♥above it all♥~~
Informer
Informer

Post by ~~♥above it all♥~~ »

^^ Danngggg french classes sound cool. I am currently taking spanish and I love it and hate it. I hate my teacher becuase he is sstill teaching us Spanish one stuff and we are in Spanish two. So when Spanish 3+4 comes around I am screwed. My school only offers three languages :( french, chineese and Spanish. I would LOVE to take Arabic or german.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

I did French in high school and I sucked at it. I did a year of Spanish and I loved it but it got cancelled after that year because not enough people took the class. But then by the time I left Spanish was the compulsory language that the younger grades took :( So annoying

TheFosterKid
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheFosterKid »

~~♥above it all♥~~ wrote:^^ Danngggg french classes sound cool. I am currently taking spanish and I love it and hate it. I hate my teacher becuase he is sstill teaching us Spanish one stuff and we are in Spanish two. So when Spanish 3+4 comes around I am screwed. My school only offers three languages :( french, chineese and Spanish. I would LOVE to take Arabic or german.
Grade: 11th Grade
Favorite Class: I'm not sure. Probably a mix of AP Computer Graphics, AP Physics, and maybe English
Loathed Class: AP Calculus.
Best Grade Class: Probably Computer Graphics or Spanish 2
Clubs, Extracurriculars: Nothing really. I mostly stay after school to finish Computer Graphics work.
Anything Else?:

So the quarter is over and I got all As and a C in Calculus. At first, I was annoyed and depressed. I almost had my first straight As in high school. But no... I had to get a C in Calc. But now, it's almost humorous. Almost.

I took a test to get into the high school I got in (the guy who created Google went to my school). I was taking German at my old school but I had to switch to Spanish because my new school didn't get in. And I freakin' LOVED German. Not that many people took the class so there was about 15 or less of us, but I liked it that way. I also thought it was pretty easy to learn but I know there were some kids that struggled. I don't know if it's because I'm actually good at languages or because I thought it had a lot words similar to English words.

If you ever get the chance to take German, I totally recommend it.

Post by Guest »

Grade: 10th
Favorite Class: Yearbook
Loathed Class: Literature
Best Grade Class: Biology and Math
Clubs, Extracurriculars: I play sports year round and am a part of a few different clubs and do community service every week.
Anything Else?: I hate this year.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

OMG I wanna take German so badly! My dad did German for a while and he's still pretty good at it. I'd love to learn it - some say that Latin and German are great complements to one another.

Bluffology
Informer
Informer

Post by Bluffology »

Grade: 10th
Favorite Class: Psychology
Loathed Class: Food Prep - Surprisingly it was the class I was really looking forward to in the beginning of the year.
Best Grade Class: Biology - Not because I actually know what's going on, just because of the extra credit and getting to use notes on your tests.
Clubs, Extracurriculars: Want to join debate ...
Anything Else?: I really don't want junior year to come, heard it was the hardest. Don't know if I want to graduate early or not. Everyone says senior year is the best, but that's if you have a social life.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Psychology class sucks here. You are luuuucky.

Bluffology
Informer
Informer

Post by Bluffology »

Nostalgia wrote:Psychology class sucks here. You are luuuucky.
I think it's the teacher I have that makes it interesting. He's a great story teller.

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Bluffology wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:Psychology class sucks here. You are luuuucky.
I think it's the teacher I have that makes it interesting. He's a great story teller.
You're so lucky you have a great teacher. What's he like? Teachers that are funny/love to share their personal lives
are awesome.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

Grade:Ok, I'm English so I'm not really certain what grade it would be. I'm in year 11 here, which I think is like grade 10 over there? I think it's the equivalent of being in your sophomore year of high school.
Favorite Class: Either History, Maths or English(my English teacher shows us the best films).
Loathed Class: Media studies.
Best Grade Class: Probably Maths or Chemistry.
Clubs, Extracurriculars: We don't really have many clubs or anything like that at my school. I used to play netball though.
Anything Else?: Since everyone else is talking about languages, I take French and German. I think I prefer German to French, just because I find it easier to pronounce and it just clicks in my brain. I'm thinking about taking Spanish as an extra qualification when I'm in sixth form.

ChanelleJo
Debater
Debater

Post by ChanelleJo »

Nostalgia wrote:Grade: 10
Favorite Class: Latin, because it's really such a fascinating language. I love how Latin vocabulary (wocabulary, hehe) has helped me out so much with English vocabulary. I had no idea what mendacious meant, so after pondering for awhile, I realized that 'mendax' in Latin means liar, so mendacious probably means 'prone to lying, or cheating'. I was right. WOO! The book we use (Cambridge Latin Course I) is also a fantastic resource. It weaves a story into the lessons, which makes the class more engaging.
Loathed Class: AP World History is the bane of my existence. It's rote memorization and that makes it extremely boring.
Best Grade Class: Latin! I have a 97 right now. *knock on wood*
Clubs, Extracurriculars: Key Club, World Vision Club, JCL (Junior Classical League), Certamen Club, UNICEF.
I take classical piano private lessons and I volunteer at the library every week.
Anything Else?: My life is really boring and I hate monotony.

Um.. Latin = Dead language
Even you find it on american banknotes [like "E pluribus unum" or "Novus ordo seclorum"], plants and creatures have latin names, I still find it useless. Waste of time.
You might notice some spelling mistakes or grammar errors. Sorry, not a native English speaker.

Kikis
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Kikis »

Favorite Class: Mandarin Chinese- I have a really great teacher
Loathed Class: Math- I'm failing
Best Grade Class: Both of my marketing classes
Clubs, Extracurriculars: DECA, Ping Pong
Anything Else?:
I don't feel like started another topic for this. So here we go.In my fashion marketing class we have to come up with modern day costumes designs for a play of our choosing(I chose Julius Caesar). I got the designs for the women down but I'm clueless as to what to draw for the men and the children.
How sad it would be, should laughter diasapear

Bluffology
Informer
Informer

Post by Bluffology »

Nostalgia wrote:
You're so lucky you have a great teacher. What's he like? Teachers that are funny/love to share their personal lives
are awesome.
Oh yes, he tells us a lot of stories about his personal life. He tries to get real life examples into the things he teaches so we can relate to them and understand them better.

Psychology is really interesting, but I'm sure if I have a boring teacher, I wouldn't care for it at all.

nebuleuse
Learner
Learner

Post by nebuleuse »

Grade: 10(I think I'm from the U.K)
Favorite Class: Math and Classics
Loathed Class: Chemistry and Physics
Best Grade Class: English and Math
Clubs, Extracurriculars: Trampolining and hockey :D
Anything Else?: I hate my school so I might move to a new school next year! (yay)
"It's a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up"

Return to “Education”