Working in beauty in the beauty guru era.

FEDORALICIOUS
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Working in beauty in the beauty guru era.

Post by FEDORALICIOUS »

I'm from the US and work as a freelance beauty writer working towards becoming a beauty or lifestyle editor for a website or magazine. I know we have to roll with the punches as the job markets change as technology and the public's interest advances (similar to how radio and newspapers have become less used throughout the years) but lately I've been frustrated with my role as a beauty writer today and am working hard to stay confident and keep doing my thing. I write for some big name websites but often find it hard to deal with PR companies. I'm constantly working hard to stay in touch with PR teams so they can keep me updated on when new products come out, but I never get these news updates until it's too late. But I'll see countless beauty gurus on YouTube talking about new launches before I even know about it.

I feel like a burden asking for samples for photoshoots, swatches and consideration for products galleries and stories yet they send gurus on luxury trips and entire collections of lines. Anyone else work in the industry and trying to navigate through in the beauty guru era? I love my job, I love interviewing nutritionists, skincare experts, dermatologists, doctors, estheticians, makeup artists and even influencers themselves. I don't meant to come off jealous of influencers, just trying to figure out how beauty writers and editors will find their place right now.

I'm editing to include that roles for makeup artists, estheticians and makeup product sales people might have changed too and am interested in how everyone is navigating.

eggsbenedict
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Working in beauty in the beauty guru era.

Post by eggsbenedict »

ahh honey I really feel for you. I'd imagine that you were more qualified/knowledgeable than many beauty gurus on youtube. As I am not in a beauty career the only real advice I could give you is to KEEP GOING! If this is something you love doing keep going, make yourself indispensable so that PR companies will continue to keep you in the loop.

much love xx

FEDORALICIOUS
Debater
Debater

Post by FEDORALICIOUS »

ahh honey I really feel for you. I'd imagine that you were more qualified/knowledgeable than many beauty gurus on youtube. As I am not in a beauty career the only real advice I could give you is to KEEP GOING! If this is something you love doing keep going, make yourself indispensable so that PR companies will continue to keep you in the loop.

much love xx
Thank you so much!! That's what I'm trying to do. It's just a matter of going along the new changes. I've even met makeup artists who are certified and find it frustrating because people think makeup is easy just because people make it look easy on the internet.

fghtffyrdmns
Debater
Debater

Post by fghtffyrdmns »

This thread will be interesting. Have you thought about posting on MakeupAddiction on Reddit? I'm sure you would get some decent responses through there.

I don't work in the industry, but I can imagine how hard it must be trying to stay on top of everything. You actually have to work[/] to discover new brands/launches, whereas the YouTube/Instagram beauty "gurus" don't have to lift a finger. I personally love watching BGs on YouTube, but I tend to gravitate towards the smaller channels. They're generally more knowledgeable, put more actual useful information into their videos and work hard.

Return to “Work”