New Co-worker Issues

freshlemon
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Co-worker Issues

Post by freshlemon »

I work in an office setting as a designer and 2 new employees joined our team after working alone for a few months. I wanted to know if I'm being paranoid or something about one of my new co-workers...

My new co-worker, let's call her Maggie has only been with us for a month to the dot. Last Friday, she lashed out at me to not email my boss about her projects. I have been with the company for 2 years so I know what my boss likes and doesn't like. I emailed my boss whether she wanted a certain design made as a box packaging and she said yes. Maggie, out of left field, asks me what I asked my boss and why...Tells me that she was designing a bag packaging and that I knew she was working on it all this while...She doesn't want to be excluded in any emails pertaining to her projects...Tells me that I'm not the art director and that we should all speak together before a project starts... I defended myself saying I wasn't art directing her and was simply confirming what our boss wants. Since then, I have been less than nice to her because she is turning out to be not the person she started 4 weeks ago.

Fast forward to today, we sent in our time cards to our other boss and he is able to see all our hours. He calls me and asks if Maggie usually starts work at 9am. He asks me this because Maggie and our other co-worker has been coming into work way half an hour everyday since they started 4 weeks ago. So, I ask Maggie, "What time do you officially start work?" She tells me 8:30 and that she can't really tell me because she lives ~so~ far away from work and traffic affects her arrival time to work. If she does come in late, that means that she would have to stay past 5pm, meaning I would have to stay as late as her (because I'm the only one with the key and there is no way in hell I am doing that for one person's laziness). She then tells me, "Then, they (our bosses) should give me a key..."

I tell myself, HA, you've only been here for a month. They're NOT giving you key. I feel she is a bit condescending with her words, or is that not the right term? Should I be nicer to her or just let it be until my bosses see what she's really like?

takoyaki
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: New Co-worker Issues

Post by takoyaki »

SCrew being nice to her she sounds like a total btch. I don't quite understand the time card part, is she coming in half an hour late or half an hour early? If she's coming in late, since your boss asked you anyways, let him know that not only is she coming in late but she's being rude and disrespectful to you.

I've had many jobs and people pull that sht on me allll the time. I don't know what your situation is but in my case it's usually because I'm young or look young. In high school, I worked in retail part time and when we get new workers who are like 30~40 years old and either also working part time or doing full time (but still in the same position as me) they treated me like a child just because they were so much older than me. I understand because they most likely have kids only a couple of years younger than me so they can't help me differentiate me from them BUUUUT some of them are so freaking nasty... like they're in their 30's and they act like mean girls in middle school, rolling their eyes and bossing me around and think I can't do anything when I've worked there for 6 months ~ a year while the struggle with the cash register since they've only worked a week.

And the key thing is so funny. In my case, I've had coworkers who are in their early twenties, college/uni students who are key holders and these ADULT coworkers get all jealous about wanting to become key holders. Kind of stupid because you get the extra responsibility and have to stay late but it's not extra pay. They just wanted the power that comes with it.

Don't play nice, don't take that sht.

ChelseaBlue_129
Learner
Learner

Post by ChelseaBlue_129 »

Be careful the job market out there sucks right now. Whatever you do don't risk your job. Sometimes you have to sit back quietly and let people screw up. That way they take the heat not you. Don't lose your temper. Just stay in your lane, let her screw up on her own if that's what it comes to, and make sure to cover your ass discreetly so no one can blame you.

freshlemon
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by freshlemon »

takoyaki wrote:SCrew being nice to her she sounds like a total btch. I don't quite understand the time card part, is she coming in half an hour late or half an hour early? If she's coming in late, since your boss asked you anyways, let him know that not only is she coming in late but she's being rude and disrespectful to you.

I've had many jobs and people pull that sht on me allll the time. I don't know what your situation is but in my case it's usually because I'm young or look young. In high school, I worked in retail part time and when we get new workers who are like 30~40 years old and either also working part time or doing full time (but still in the same position as me) they treated me like a child just because they were so much older than me. I understand because they most likely have kids only a couple of years younger than me so they can't help me differentiate me from them BUUUUT some of them are so freaking nasty... like they're in their 30's and they act like mean girls in middle school, rolling their eyes and bossing me around and think I can't do anything when I've worked there for 6 months ~ a year while the struggle with the cash register since they've only worked a week.

And the key thing is so funny. In my case, I've had coworkers who are in their early twenties, college/uni students who are key holders and these ADULT coworkers get all jealous about wanting to become key holders. Kind of stupid because you get the extra responsibility and have to stay late but it's not extra pay. They just wanted the power that comes with it.

Don't play nice, don't take that sht.
She's coming in half an hour late. AND what do you know, she came in 30 minutes early today for the first time since she started. I was right next to her when I spoke with my boss so I couldn't say much. Next time, I am definitely speak the truth.

Also, what irks me about her is that she asked me TWICE that she was going to come in early to finish projects at 8AM. Meaning, I would have to come in early to open the office. Both times, she ended up coming late and didn't even apologize. She has no respect and didn't show any decency. After the second time, I decided I'm not doing anything to help her.

I am younger than this chick. I'm 25 and she's 38 and it is SO true about the age and attitude you mentioned. Yes, she's more knowledgeable in some parts of the job, but you can't go around acting like you're superior than me.

What sucks is that my bosses are keeping an eye on my other new co-worker who's apparently not doing his job well. D:

freshlemon
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by freshlemon »

ChelseaBlue_129 wrote:Be careful the job market out there sucks right now. Whatever you do don't risk your job. Sometimes you have to sit back quietly and let people screw up. That way they take the heat not you. Don't lose your temper. Just stay in your lane, let her screw up on her own if that's what it comes to, and make sure to cover your ass discreetly so no one can blame you.
Totally agree on the job market. I'm thankful for my job and I try not to get things get to me. *Breathe in. Breathe out.*

compelledsoul
Informer
Informer

Post by compelledsoul »

I would speak to your boss privately, if they have an office, and let them know the situation. Just sitting back and letting her get in trouble could work, but it could also make you look bad b/c your boss could ask why you didn't inform them earlier of the situation so they could watch for it (her unprofessional behavior). At the same time, if she lives so far away, she could TRY and leave a little earlier, or if she knows she's going to be late at least she can give the office a call. But obviously it's a regular occurrence so she won't have the decency to do that. She's 38 and has only worked there a month, she should know better than to think she can get a key so she can stay "late". Your boss should be aware of both new co-workers, even if you don't want to stress your boss out, they do have the right to know since they have asked you about it. Definitely make sure you do it in private though so she cannot overhear you or ask you about it, b/c it really is none of her business what the boss asks you. Tell your boss everything that has been going on (from the emails to the coming in late and not staying late etc). Although, I understand that is easier said than done.

UsedToLoveThem
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by UsedToLoveThem »

Inform your boss of her behavior. She's late while everybody else makes it on time. She is rude. And she - as the new part of the team - is obviously not willing to adapt to the rules of the company or else she would get up earlier and make sure she is on time. The way she treats you and behaves is less than professional.
If your boss is keeping an eye on the other new coworker he better keeps the other eye on her. It's not your fault they are both turning out to be disappointments and if it doesn't change they'll both be out of job soon. Not your problem, though. Your boss knows you, so unless you are known to be a bitch towards coworkers (which I doubt, because you are worried about telling your boss) he will trust you. Besides, he already saw that she's not working her required hours.

freshlemon
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by freshlemon »

*Update*

My boss has finally seen the light! :D She has started to catch on my co-worker's behavior and attitude towards her and they got into several arguments this week – because of color choices (we're graphic designers). I also did tell my boss things got heated this morning about that issue.

Co-worker has been ranting on and on about how my boss is rude to her and how the office needs "spirited" people because we're just a mom and pop shop. My boss says my co-worker has control issues and is not adapting to how we usually work and co-worker has been non-stop preaching about we need more communication and more systematic changes.

Oh my gosh, I feel so liberated. My boss is on the verge of firing her and my co-worker admitted she's looking at options and not going to stay any longer if she's treated badly by my boss.

Sorry, not sorry..Screw "Maggie". She has no gratitude.

elel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by elel »

Looks like Maggie is the same level as you? But you will have a lot of more experience and has stayed longer with the company? However, both of your job title and job function are the exact same?

If that is the case, then my advise is to stay out of it. Getting her to work on time and saving her ass to get the design right is not your job. You are being her Hero and were trying to save the day for her, but she is not appreciating it. I think she just has too much pride. Let her fall on her own swords. Stay out of it and if your boss wants to address any issue in relation to Maggie, ask them to do it him/herself.

Be very careful and don't get people to think that you are the only person that has issues with Maggie. Even though in reality, you are the only one that actually cares and helps out.

elel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by elel »

Only realised that this post has been a year old!!! I'm so sorry, please ignore my reply, I'm sure things got sorted!

Return to “Work”