Soafloaf
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why do you use this forum?

Post by Soafloaf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 am

Hi guys,

For university I am doing my dissertation on the world of YouTube and I was wondering if any of you would answer this question for me:
Why do you use this forum? To find out others opinions and discuss debates over YouTubers? Or for the community? Or anything else!

holysandwich
Wallflower
Wallflower

Re: Why do you use this forum?

Post by holysandwich » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:16 am

The Millennial generation (which makes up a great portion of the viewership, along with Gen Yers) are one of the most distrusting generations to date. Because it's so easy to scam and lie, new "checks and balances" exist for things as mundane as restaurants (Yelp), businesses (Google Reviews), and even YouTube content (this forum). I need help on knowing who to trust because, truth is, the Millennial Gen doesn't GIVE trust to people. It's assumed it has to be earned, more than ever (this goes for most "brands," including the people behind the video camera). On top of that, it's nice to rant. I don't have any friends that watch Gurus like I do, so it's a nice place to come and chat (and b*tch at times) and get stuff off my chest/hear feedback. Hope that helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latin-spice
Debater
Debater

Post by Latin-spice » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am

I just made an account today because it's nice to be surrounded by like minded individuals who won't rely on personal attacks if you happen not to agree on something. Unlike YouTube, this site, from what I've seen, has moderators that keep posts on topic and are ready to reprimand users for changing the subject or attacking one another. There's no such community on YT unless you'd considered renegade fans who take anything but ass kissing to their idol as a reason to whip out their insults. That's just my take anyway.
:tu: Sleep farts are the true test of any relationship :tu:

bubblegumbitch
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by bubblegumbitch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:33 pm

holysandwich wrote:The Millennial generation (which makes up a great portion of the viewership, along with Gen Yers) are one of the most distrusting generations to date. Because it's so easy to scam and lie, new "checks and balances" exist for things as mundane as restaurants (Yelp), businesses (Google Reviews), and even YouTube content (this forum). I need help on knowing who to trust because, truth is, the Millennial Gen doesn't GIVE trust to people. It's assumed it has to be earned, more than ever (this goes for most "brands," including the people behind the video camera). On top of that, it's nice to rant. I don't have any friends that watch Gurus like I do, so it's a nice place to come and chat (and b*tch at times) and get stuff off my chest/hear feedback. Hope that helps!!

All of this + it's very entertaining. It's a nice way to relax and chill too, I usually read GG over Netflix

PecanPancakes
Learner
Learner

Post by PecanPancakes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

This place is hilarious! I have laughed so hard at comments before that I thought I make bruise a rib. I dislike some You tubers that at one time I loved. I wondered if anyone else had the same feelings as I did so in 2010 (old GG), I googled the YouTuber and found GG. What I enjoyed was that I could speak my opinion without being harassed by fans of Goobers. I'm not a mean person but I'm not a kiss ass either and if I call another Adult out on something that is dishonest I would like to be addressed by no one other than the person making the video. GG gets a lot of unnecessary flack but in my opinion it is in their best interest to keep gossip here and not on their videos or social media. I also enjoy that this forum has everything from hair, skin care, to television.
But the biggest reason is again, I can state my opinion freely and not be harassed or told to go kill myself because a Youtuber's foundation looks like a cake faced orange nightmare.

smars27
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by smars27 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:09 pm

Eh I was curious about a youtube friendship that ended and I saw a yt comment on a video that led me to here (never go that figured out btw) . I spent a while lurking but this site kept crashing and I kind of learn if you log out and leave and there are too many users you kind of have trouble getting back on. I've always liked and been entertained by chit-chat in forums (last one IMDB, don't remember the rest) but usually I tend to get bored quickly but thankfully the ppl on here are snarky but not so immature/hateful that it gets draining.

I will say there are 3 big reasons that I've actually stayed and been entertained longer than I thought I would on this website:

1. accountability- time on yt translates into cash so even though I don't directly dip into my pocket I am spending my time on ppl that I want to make sure are worth spending my $/time on. Not really into promoting/enabling ppl to be assholes/shady so I need to make sure that I'm not supporting anyone undeserving.

2. fullfills my needs as as entertainment: you can talk about a video but there's not really a good place to talk about youtubers as a whole so it met that need and requirement. I've always been curious about ppls and entertainers but most of the stuff you read on them is pretty controlled. And I'm just curious about ppl & always have been. I'm also known as a bit of a gossip around the office so it's safer to gossip about these type then ppl it will get back to (And my work is really really boring and so this helps me make it through the day)

**It also feels more safe then YT and the ppl are just a bit more on my level than the kids that proliferate the comment that are like: first comment! chain letter xxx, I hope you have a good day!, sob story and all that other generic superficial crap.

3. YT has gotten boring/repetitive and I find when something gets boring, I have to find a site to help me stay interested as sort of add-on entertainment or I lose interest completely. (I would have never finished Buffy without TWOP)

So hope that helps. People come and go on these types of forum but it fullfills a void that has been lacking on youtube and helps keep them a bit more transparent. I feel like youtubers/youtube try to shut these types of things down because it goes against their image and the more I think that, the more I want to contribute because I don't like snakes in the grass.

Hope that helped! Know it was a bit long but figure you wouldn't mind. Good luck!
If you must kill another for your life to matter, what have you really proven?

If you seek to be understood you must be the one that first tries to understand.

The content of your character matters more than something as fleeting as status

jrgold19
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by jrgold19 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:51 am

Because im a bitch

bubblegumbitch
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by bubblegumbitch » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 am

^ lol yes that too

YouslessTube
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by YouslessTube » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Cause no one here attacks you with DON'T LIKE IT DON'T WATCH IT remarks. Lol.

hshgege
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by hshgege » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:10 am

Because who doesnt like a bit of gossip :D

guru_gossip
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by guru_gossip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 pm

To talk about Trisha Paytas, there are so many of her haters here I find it hilarious to read their comments :rofl:

hellyeah
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Why do you use this forum?

Post by hellyeah » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:55 am

To talk with like minded people. Some youtubers I discuss I actually liked, might still like, or I'm hoping they get their shit together and come out on top. Or a combination
of the three. You can't really voice your opinions in their video comments less you get attacked by all the minions and stans. Same with their social media account. When I come here I don't have to blow smoke up anyone's ass. Plus we are anonymous unless we choose to share parts of ourselves and lives. I know gossipers who have met in person.

hellyeah
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Post by hellyeah » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:57 am

jrgold19 wrote:Because im a bitch

LOL. Same. Image

Hiddenagenda22
Learner
Learner

Post by Hiddenagenda22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 am

I'm here for the drama & inside scoop. We only see one side of Youtubers & it's absolutely never their true colors. I spend 50 hours a week in an office cubicle. I don't have many friends & the few I have, are not females. "Gossip" is only a term used on the internet for me these days.
I enjoy chatting with others & realizing that I'm not the only one giving a side eye during many of the videos I watch on a daily basis.
"When You See A Woman Wearing McQueen,
There's A Certain Hardness To The Clothes That Makes Her Look Powerful.
It Kind Of Fends People Off."

sous les étoiles
Informer
Informer

Post by sous les étoiles » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:59 pm

i follow threads of the gurus i used to watch. i don't watch any now but it's interesting to see people who are hate-watching them 24/7 and what they have to say even though it's over the top about 100% of the time.

baileyjay
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by baileyjay » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:44 am

A lot of reading

Trick Pony
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Trick Pony » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:52 am

I joined because of the gossip haha

nadine21
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by nadine21 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:38 am

well i like the entertainment fact <3
<3 :tu: New chick in town love to gossip

gurugurl4gossip
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by gurugurl4gossip » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:44 am

I like to see if other people noticed the same things I did in videos.

pwomp
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by pwomp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:28 am

Because I'm not good at sleeping and social media is boring when everyone else is asleep.

eevee
Informer
Informer

Post by eevee » Sat May 14, 2016 9:01 am

I like to discuss youtubers and get gossip about them, i think it's kinda a natural instinct to want to know more about celebrities, especially ones who put so much of their life publicly on youtube
But darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

New York Gal
Talker
Talker

Post by New York Gal » Mon May 16, 2016 5:38 am

'cos I'm a Gossiper. pmsl :rofl: :rofl:

lildeathling
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lildeathling » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:12 pm

because it's addicting

Saraneth7
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Saraneth7 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:40 am

Somebody tweeted about this site. I am now going through the forum to read some tea lol
We all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy “
A.D.

Libby_UK
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Libby_UK » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:30 am

Because it's a change to everyone worshipping the particular guru, and thinking am I the only one who can see through the crap? It's coming out of the twilight zone into a bit of reality.

Return to “Guru Gossip Discussion”