KathleenLights

andthensome
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: KathleenLights

Post by andthensome »

xyz wrote:i just cant with her accent! I know cubans from miami (that sounded weirdly stereotypical?) and they have a similar accent but hers is so much more pronounced and i swear it's contrived. She also speaks a lot slower than other ppl i know from miami and to that is so she can up her accent. Does she speak spanish? because i also have a few cuban friends that are like 2nd/3rd generation that do not but will put on an accent in "certain situations"?
I feel like lately she's been playing it up more- maybe people comment that they find it cute or something? Personally, I don't mind accents at all, but I find it distracting when she throws in a heavily accented word or phrase just to be funny or whatever.

sheilaaa
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sheilaaa »

I just love this girl!

CaroG1282
Debater
Debater

Post by CaroG1282 »

Y'all, her accent is not fake. I don't know where this is coming from. People have different accents. I have lived in Miami my entire life and she sounds like every other Miami native (or Cuban who came here as a young child). If I made a video you guys would probably say my accent is fake too sheesh. :? The very first video I saw of Kathleen without knowing anything about her, my first thought was "aw, she sounds like home."

There are (in my opinion) plenty of reasons to pick at Kathleen, but her accent isn't really one of them. It's not even that pronounced.

Disfigurine
Learner
Learner

Post by Disfigurine »

xyz wrote:
andthensome wrote:
xyz wrote:i just cant with her accent! I know cubans from miami (that sounded weirdly stereotypical?) and they have a similar accent but hers is so much more pronounced and i swear it's contrived. She also speaks a lot slower than other ppl i know from miami and to that is so she can up her accent. Does she speak spanish? because i also have a few cuban friends that are like 2nd/3rd generation that do not but will put on an accent in "certain situations"?
I feel like lately she's been playing it up more- maybe people comment that they find it cute or something? Personally, I don't mind accents at all, but I find it distracting when she throws in a heavily accented word or phrase just to be funny or whatever.
I mean, i dont mind accents either, except when they are fake, which i think hers is at least to some degree. Like if you watch some of her vids like where she is talking to her husband and gets caught up in the convo, it's like the accent disappears. Thats just really my major gripe with her!

I watched her older videos and she sounds the same. Maybe she was trying to disguise her accent at first and now she feels more comfortable? I have a Miami accent like hers and I try to hide it too until I feel comfy then it comes out.

nshoren7
Talker
Talker

Post by nshoren7 »

I love Kathleen! She is just so genuine. I love how honest she is! I also like that she focuses on great quality drug store products. She is humble and unpretentious; such a breath of fresh air in the YouTube world. She is a nice change from the Jaclyn Hills of the world. After hearing Kathleen say that she is "over Sigma", I immediately subscribed!

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

socialight wrote:
CaroG1282 wrote:
cantstopwatchingyt wrote:... ..
I'm also not 100% on the Kathleen love train, although I do mostly like her.

If we're talking actual things that bother me about Kathleen, I would say I find it weird she just up and married her husband and doesn't seem to have gone to college or done anything productive (other than starting a YouTube channel) since graduating high school. Has she ever said anything about college or having a job before YouTube? Her KatChats bother me so I may have missed it.

I also didn't like her anxiety video.
I can't watch her vlogs or katchats. I can only stand to watch her tutorials, to be really honest. As you said, unless she mentioned it in her katchats and we completely missed it, she is private about her 'processional' or 'academic' life. She is basically just married and the only 'children' she has are her dogs. I'm curious about what her goals/aspirations were before youtube got big for her. What else is there to her, so to speak.
Lol, then watch her katchats if you want to know more about her.
Its funny how the people who complain about YTers not disclosing every damn detail conveniently don't watch the very videos that mention all the details.

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

I love her a lot.
I first discovered her through her Naked 3 tutorials and every tutorial was so awesome and easy to recreate. :tu:
Lately I've noticed she's being a little heavy handed with bronzer, and she ends up looking orange in some videos.

Hope she doesn't sell out though.

socialight
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by socialight »

tired_of_bs wrote:
socialight wrote:
I can't watch her vlogs or katchats. I can only stand to watch her tutorials, to be really honest. As you said, unless she mentioned it in her katchats and we completely missed it, she is private about her 'processional' or 'academic' life. She is basically just married and the only 'children' she has are her dogs. I'm curious about what her goals/aspirations were before youtube got big for her. What else is there to her, so to speak.
Lol, then watch her katchats if you want to know more about her.
Its funny how the people who complain about YTers not disclosing every damn detail conveniently don't watch the very videos that mention all the details.
I don't care enough to watch, to be honest.

CaroG1282
Debater
Debater

Post by CaroG1282 »

I have watched her KatChats, and to my recollection she has not mentioned anything that we were asking about. So yeah.

She seems like a nice girl and I too started watching her because of her Naked 3 tutorials (the best ones out there IMO), but she just seems really one-dimensional. For someone so young I feel like she should have more going on than just YouTube and her husband. But that's just my opinion.

Disfigurine
Learner
Learner

Post by Disfigurine »

It is your opinion. Youtube has actually become a "career" to some people it's weird but it's true. She's showed off her sister and freaking adorable niece in some videos, she's talked about her family and friends so she has more going on than just her husband.. Youtube is her job. I get enveloped in my job sometimes too and I try to keep my personal life seperate from my professional life. I think she's smart for letting us in a little while still not divulging every little detail about her personal life. I find her relationship with her husband adorable and down to earth. As a veteran I can relate to it. It's so hard being away from your partner while you or they're deployed so I can understand why she spends most of her time with him.

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

CaroG1282 wrote:I have watched her KatChats, and to my recollection she has not mentioned anything that we were asking about. So yeah.

She seems like a nice girl and I too started watching her because of her Naked 3 tutorials (the best ones out there IMO), but she just seems really one-dimensional. For someone so young I feel like she should have more going on than just YouTube and her husband. But that's just my opinion.
She has mentioned about where she's from, her middle school and high school in KatChats. I guess you could ask her a question about college the next time she plans a Q&A. She has mentioned that its hard for her to keep a job because of Danny's deployment. YT and Danny are two things she loves, but there's obviously more to her life than what we see for some 20minutes in a video... She recently created a lipstick so maybe she'll slowly start having her own makeup as well
:respekt:

thatcalifornian
Talker
Talker

Post by thatcalifornian »

I love Kathleen and I was so relieved that in her November Favorites video she didn't mention her colourpop products (the ones she created). I'm sick of gurus who shove their products that they made in your faces relentlessly and I was holding my breath the whole video thinking she would bring it up and was honestly really happy that she didn't.

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

I just recently discovered her on Youtube because of her ELF hauls, which are very useful to me because ELF is the main makeup brand that I use.

I feel like a lot of popular Youtube gurus don't review ELF at all because they are "above" that brand or something, but ELF, despite its price point, actually have a lot of good stuff. I'm glad that Kathleen reviews ELF, and it's also one of the reasons why I'm rediscovering emilynoel83. I love that Emily, despite having made close to 1000 videos, still showcases ELF products every now and then.

I don't know if Kathleen's accent is put on or not, but I honestly like it a lot. I'm from California, and my husband is Mexican, and her accent actually reminds of people I used to hang out with back home; even though I know that she's Cuban.

She appears to be very mature beyond her age and I like that she doesn't air her dirty laundry online. For example, I really liked that she didn't go into details about her parents' divorce or the extent of her dad's injuries after the accident in her anxiety video. I feel like that's very respectful. She just mentioned that those were two very traumatic experiences that triggered her anxiety and for the most part kept the chat about herself.

I don't really care to know if she has any higher academic plans or anything more about her personal life than she cares to share. I like that she keeps her professional life on Youtube separate from her personal life (for the most part).

As for her actual tutorials, I suppose they are kind of one-note, but I actually enjoy her unboxing videos, haul videos, and KatChats more because I kinda just like listening to her talk and her mannerisms, haha.

socialight
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by socialight »

I'm going to post part of a discussion being held with regards to Kathleen in CoffeeBreakwithDani's thread. Kath doesn't have a thread in the rant section - so I'm curious to hear what you guys think.
socialight wrote:
WhisperingSoul wrote:
ihatesnobbyyters wrote: I like her too, but as far as her commenting back to her subscribers, that's one reason I dislike her. I've commented on many of her videos and she replies to pretty much everyone else that commented at the same time but not to me. And I'm talking every single time. So I just don't even bother anymore.
YES!! I was just going to say this. She is nice, but honestly she never connects with her subbies. Its not just a recent thing that she has more subs either, she literally ignores most of her subs. She also spams the hell out of a lot of bigger YouTubers comments. She doesn't spam her channel or anything, but she makes sure to comment on almost every single bigger YouTubers channel. I like Kathleen, but as humble as she acts and as "grateful" as she says she is to her subs, she sure doesn't seem to like connecting with them much......I even told her that we share the same anniversary date, several times, and still nothing. Several people have complained about it too so its not like she just has so many subs she can't keep up. She was like this even when she had a few thousand.
I actually unsubscribed to her for that very reason. I'm so glad someone finally acknowledged this. Even back when she had a measly 5000 subs, I never noticed her answering comments. She just complains when people leave hate about her relationship with her husband because he looks older than her.

She doesn't spam her channel or anything, but she makes sure to comment on almost every single bigger YouTubers channel.

^ I need to see that. That's probably how she got popular so fast. I remember back when she did collabs with AlisonLovesJB and had her name dropped in videos by MissBel01xox (Belinda Selene).
---

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

socialight wrote:
WhisperingSoul wrote:
ihatesnobbyyters wrote: I like her too, but as far as her commenting back to her subscribers, that's one reason I dislike her. I've commented on many of her videos and she replies to pretty much everyone else that commented at the same time but not to me. And I'm talking every single time. So I just don't even bother anymore.
YES!! I was just going to say this. She is nice, but honestly she never connects with her subbies. Its not just a recent thing that she has more subs either, she literally ignores most of her subs. She also spams the hell out of a lot of bigger YouTubers comments. She doesn't spam her channel or anything, but she makes sure to comment on almost every single bigger YouTubers channel. I like Kathleen, but as humble as she acts and as "grateful" as she says she is to her subs, she sure doesn't seem to like connecting with them much......I even told her that we share the same anniversary date, several times, and still nothing. Several people have complained about it too so its not like she just has so many subs she can't keep up. She was like this even when she had a few thousand.
I actually unsubscribed to her for that very reason. I'm so glad someone finally acknowledged this. Even back when she had a measly 5000 subs, I never noticed her answering comments. She just complains when people leave hate about her relationship with her husband because he looks older than her.

She doesn't spam her channel or anything, but she makes sure to comment on almost every single bigger YouTubers channel.

^ I need to see that. That's probably how she got popular so fast. I remember back when she did collabs with AlisonLovesJB and had her name dropped in videos by MissBel01xox (Belinda Selene).
---
Hehehe, I go to her for tutorials and recommendations, I'm not looking to make a best friend (coz that would be ridiculous) or share some emotional connection with. For example, my birthday coincides with the date her lippie stix released (26/11) but I really didn't bother sharing that tidbit because, well, I couldn't be bothered. I would never unsubscribe someone whom I'm learning so much from just because they don't answer to my comment, but maybe that's just me. Her skills are what matters more to me.

As for answering comments, whenever she releases a video, I always scroll down to see the comments and literally every one of them is answered. Probably when people comment a day or two after the video she doesn't reply? I can provide screencaps of her comments if anyone is interested. Its unfortunate that all comments don't get replied to though. Wish there was a way out there :(

I do follow a lot a bigger YTers and the only one that Kathleen left a comment on just ONCE was Jaclyn Hill. I really don't think her popularity is due to the reason that she comments on bigger blogger's channels. She is talented and grounded, uses a lot of drugstore products and has a lot of variety in the tutorials she does....as of now. I also find her techniques easy to follow and she doesn't look ridiculous when she does her highlight and contour routine. She mentions the YTers she follows and watches all the time in her videos, that's why I feel she genuinely likes them and she's not just using them for popularity.

Honestly, she's a breathe of fresh her from the so-called "gurus" on Yt and that's why she's getting so popular.
(hope she still stays this sweet and grounded)

Japanlover666
Informer
Informer

Post by Japanlover666 »

I love her

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

tired_of_bs wrote:I would never unsubscribe someone whom I'm learning so much from just because they don't answer to my comment, but maybe that's just me. Her skills are what matters more to me.

Honestly, she's a breathe of fresh her from the so-called "gurus" on Yt and that's why she's getting so popular.
I agree 100%. She has replied to my comments in the past, and tbh I see her commenting back to subscribers much more often than other youtubers. I get that this site is for complaining, but honestly let's not dig up reasons to trash someone when there aren't any. Kat is probably one of my favorite gurus at the moment, she's just so genuine and sweet and she has a really fresh take on makeup. Let's appreciate that because it's hard to find these days despite the abundance of "beauty gurus/experts".
XOXO

tired_of_bs
Naughty
Naughty

Post by tired_of_bs »

Waldorfdarling wrote:
tired_of_bs wrote:I would never unsubscribe someone whom I'm learning so much from just because they don't answer to my comment, but maybe that's just me. Her skills are what matters more to me.

I agree 100%. She has replied to my comments in the past, and tbh I see her commenting back to subscribers much more often than other youtubers. I get that this site is for complaining, but honestly let's not dig up reasons to trash someone when there aren't any. Kat is probably one of my favorite gurus at the moment, she's just so genuine and sweet and she has a really fresh take on makeup. Let's appreciate that because it's hard to find these days despite the abundance of "beauty gurus/experts".
Yeah, I always see that she's replied back to comments on YT. Probably not Insta, but definitely on YT. And I feel that she does indeed connect with her followers. That's why she has a "Kat Chats" series where she shares parts of her life. Honestly, I've seen people come up with more ridiculous reasons for thrashing people. One person on this forum complained about her forehead. :? :?

matte
Debater
Debater

Post by matte »

socialight wrote:I'm going to post part of a discussion being held with regards to Kathleen in CoffeeBreakwithDani's thread. Kath doesn't have a thread in the rant section - so I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

I'm genuinely confused as to why you think she should care that you have the same anniversary as hers.

socialight
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by socialight »

matte wrote:
socialight wrote:I'm going to post part of a discussion being held with regards to Kathleen in CoffeeBreakwithDani's thread. Kath doesn't have a thread in the rant section - so I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

I'm genuinely confused as to why you think she should care that you have the same anniversary as hers.
You missquoted me. WhisperingSoul wrote the thing about the anniversar, not me.

I just copied critics on Kathleen from Dani's thread. Don't shoot the messenger She doesn't have a rant thread so there isn't any where else to write this stuff.

From personal experience, she has never answered any of my comments and I always saw lot's of unanswered praise and questions in her videos back when she started and way way less subscribers. I got bored of her videos and got a uppity vibe from her.

There's no reason for people in this thread to be devasted that there are people who are not keen on kathleen. It's not the end of the world.

Return to “KathleenLights”