Buying a mac foundation - opinions?

justafleshwound
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Buying a mac foundation - opinions?

Post by justafleshwound »

I've never actually been colour matched by MAC (I'd guess a NW15 maybe 20) but I am tempted to try a foundation. I'm getting married next year and I want my face to look incroyable.
Are their foundations any good?
Which one would you recommend? I prefer a matte finish as I hate looking shiny.
I'm pretty sure I'd be a NW, but I don't like the MAC solution of balancing out pinkness with yellow. I'd rather just buy a foundation that matches my skintone so I guess an NC foundation. Are they gonna be awkward if I don't want to buy a NW foundation? Anything with yellow tones is going to look orange on me and I don't want my face to be a different colour from my body. I spent my teenage years buying yellow toned foundations out of lack of choice and I'm over it.

Tsubaki
Informer
Informer

Re: Buying a mac foundation - opinions?

Post by Tsubaki »

Personally, I'm not a fan of MAC foundations but they have a variety of matte finishes in their line. The Studio Fix Fluid is the one I know that is matte and offers medium coverage that can be built up to full. You can also give any foundation a more matte effect by putting powder over it. It could give additional coverage too.

When they match you, you have the decision to take it off and try another one. Alternatively, they could put a NW on one half and NC on the other. A good SA wouldn't have any problems letting you try what you request. They won't be awkward about it unless you don't make yourself clear. If you find it too orangey, you tell them. I find that they tend to match people a little too dark.

By the way, NW is more pink and NC is more yellow. I'm not sure whether you want a pink toned one because yellow makes you orange, or if you have yellow tones in your skin and you want a yellow-tone one.

kylizzle
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kylizzle »

Get a sample and try it out for a few days, If you buy the foundation and then want to take it back they usually do return it or swap for a different product if you say you didn't get on with it. Try the foundations without their primers and stuff underneath if you're not going to buy the products. So if the girl uses a primer with your foundation, but you never wear primer, ask not to have it put on with that. I personally hate Studio Fix Foundation but love Mineralize SPF Foundation and nobody seems to buy that. Mac foundations are different on everyone.

Try other brands too, mac aren't the most amazing. Lancome Teint Miracle and Nars Sheer Glow are both amazing foundations :)

Honolulu
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Honolulu »

Face and Body is my favorite foundation! It's light to medium coverage and looks very natural on the skin

justafleshwound
Talker
Talker

Thanks for all the help and opinions.

I'm pink toned and would like a pink toned foundation.
I know MAC do it backwards and so whilst I'm considered cool toned everywhere else I'm warm toned in Mac? Confusing. So is it NW or NC foundations which are cool toned?

I'll look into Mineralise SPF and Face and Body.

YouslessTube
Naughty
Naughty

Post by YouslessTube »

justafleshwound wrote:Thanks for all the help and opinions.

I know MAC do it backwards and so whilst I'm considered cool toned everywhere else I'm warm toned in Mac? Confusing. So is it NW or NC foundations which are cool toned?

Don't buy MAC, I bought the pro longwear foundation and suffered w/ big painful cystic acne.

justafleshwound
Talker
Talker

YouslessTube wrote:

Don't buy MAC, I bought the pro longwear foundation and suffered w/ big painful cystic acne.
Thanks. I am worried about that. I am very prone to hormonal acne around my chin anyway and I'm worried about a heavy foundation aggravating it further.

I think I'll still get matched as it makes it easier to find matches elsewhere. I got matched at YSL yesterday and I'm a BR10 so I assume I'll likely be a NW10 in MAC. Do MAC give away foundation samples? I won't buy a foundation at that price without a sample first to see in daylight. I've heard a lot of stories of people buying one and it being off when they got home.
It's looking like my aunt can get me a YSL foundation. If I like the samples I have, I'll skip MAC. The Le Teint Touche Eclat looks like it has good reviews.

YouslessTube
Naughty
Naughty

Post by YouslessTube »

justafleshwound wrote:
YouslessTube wrote:

Thanks. I am worried about that. I am very prone to hormonal acne around my chin anyway and I'm worried about a heavy foundation aggravating it further.

I think I'll still get matched as it makes it easier to find matches elsewhere. I got matched at YSL yesterday and I'm a BR10 so I assume I'll likely be a NW10 in MAC. Do MAC give away foundation samples? I won't buy a foundation at that price without a sample first to see in daylight. I've heard a lot of stories of people buying one and it being off when they got home.
It's looking like my aunt can get me a YSL foundation. If I like the samples I have, I'll skip MAC. The Le Teint Touche Eclat looks like it has good reviews.
Where I live they don't give samples at all, they don't even take back products if you don't like them. I wish I could give you my foundation for you to test it out to see how your skin reacts to it but I'm an NC35. I feel so bad spending $53 as a full bottle of foundation is sitting unused/untouched on my vanity. :(
No clue about YSL but it's good, I heard. Try the Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua, youtubers rave about it.

Squash
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Squash »

I would not recommend their foundation if your skin is acne prone. They have the best color range but they will give you clogged pores, white heads and acne. Make sure you try out the foundation on your akin for at least a week.

Peachykween
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Peachykween »

Does anyone else break out from Mac foundation I’ve tried to love it so many times

Fm00
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Fm00 »

Stopped using mac foundation as i started to break out. Ysl is good

Return to “MAC”