Help needed with hair extensions (purchasing soon)

deej
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help needed with hair extensions (purchasing soon)

Post by deej » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 pm

I need some hair extensions. My hair is long(ish, bra strap length) but quite layered, almost but not quite "myspace" hair. Very layered from the middle of my ear down. It's thick, but fine, if that makes any sense. I have so many layers because I like to wear it wavy/curled, and without them my hair makes my head look like a big triangle, and I also need fullness on top; the curse of a pear shaped face.

Anyways, the reason for the hair extensions is that when I braid my hair the braid has no substance. It's rat-tail thin because of all the layers. I'd like to have a big fat long braid. So I want to have a more substantial braid and add some length back that braiding eats up. I would also like to be able to curl, straighten, chalk dye for fun, wash and otherwise maintain easily. So, I do know that I want human hair, remy not yaki........possibly body waved but probably straight.

I've done some research and watch some videos and thought I was ready to order but there are still a few questions.

I am absolutely going to buy weave hair (tracks?) and some clips and make my own clip-ins. I have no fear or worry about doing so after watching some videos.

What I don't know is how much hair I need. Most of the hair I've looked at comes in bundles of 100 grams, or about 3.5 or 4 ounces. I've read over and over that in order to do an entire head you need 3 bundles to do a full head. I'm assuming that means for a sew-in or glue-in type usage. Right? Would one bundle be enough or should I get two?

I would also prefer non chemically treated hair if at all possible. A few of the review type videos I watched mentioned strong odors that didn't even come out after washing. How do I know? When it says "virgin" in the description? I do know that some of the cheaper non-remy hair is treated to make it look smooth and shiny and that it doesn't last.

I would like to be able to wash and condition the hair after I wear it. I won't be wearing it every day or even every week. Maybe once or twice a month? My head can get sweaty and I don't want them to stink up the place.

Any favorite online hair stores? Best bang for the buck and all that.

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Re: Help needed with hair extensions (purchasing soon)

Post by Winter song » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 pm

WIth extensions, you get what you pay for. You won't find quality, virgin, thick hair for less than hundreds of dollars and that's the bottom line. Most hair is treated when sold because nobody would buy frizzy, unruly hair that is prone to fading in color. I've had extensions that even bleach won't lighten. For the amount of hair, 100 grams is not enough for a seamless look. You need to compare the amount of hair on your head and that's how much hair you would need to have it look natural and then how much more you want to add for thickness. It's always better to use too much hair than too little because your ends will end up looking out of place and unnatural. Keep in mind the length, 100 grams of 14 inches will be slightly thicker than 100 grams of 18 inches.

If you are simply going for some length or volume on occasion, you don't need top of the line extensions. My hair is extremely thick and coarse and I bought the extensions I could afford at the time ($80- they suck relatively speaking) but they did the job when I needed slightly longer or voluminous hair although when braiding it was thinner than my natural hair. However, if you are buying hair for thickness (or a fat braid) the quality of the hair definitely comes into play. It's very hard to have a thick braid if the hair is super fine or in a small quantity.

I'm sorry I can't point you in the direction of a reputable brand but just from my own experience and the tons of hair my friends go through, I just want you to know you really do get what you pay for. When it comes to extensions, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

deej
Debater
Debater

Post by deej » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks for your very informative reply.

A bit more information that you made me think of....

When I speak of braiding, I mean a single french braid.

I'm not worried about them looking seamless or the ends looking unnatural right out of the gate. I've always cut my own hair and I anticipated having to blend them in. I've never worn my hair straight and flat in my life, and I've learned that with enough tousled curls your layers don't have to be perfect.

I have a couple things I do now to make my braid thicker....curl or wave it first, or second day hair that was curled and has product still in it. I also don't' braid too tightly. So I'll probably do the same with the extensions, which might save me a few dollars.

I was wondering about the length affecting weight, thanks for explaining it.

I've seen on videos that sometimes with thinner hair they will fold it double or even triple before sewing the clips in. Good Idea or not?

Thanks again.

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:37 pm

deej wrote:Thanks for your very informative reply.

A bit more information that you made me think of....

When I speak of braiding, I mean a single french braid.

I'm not worried about them looking seamless or the ends looking unnatural right out of the gate. I've always cut my own hair and I anticipated having to blend them in. I've never worn my hair straight and flat in my life, and I've learned that with enough tousled curls your layers don't have to be perfect.

I have a couple things I do now to make my braid thicker....curl or wave it first, or second day hair that was curled and has product still in it. I also don't' braid too tightly. So I'll probably do the same with the extensions, which might save me a few dollars.

I was wondering about the length affecting weight, thanks for explaining it.

I've seen on videos that sometimes with thinner hair they will fold it double or even triple before sewing the clips in. Good Idea or not?

Thanks again.

I really wouldn't suggest doubling the wefts. I would just make more wefts. By doubling or tripling them, you just create a thicker chunk of hair so instead of your hair being in-between each weft to blend, it would just sit on top of it. The best way I can explain this is with foiled highlights. If they didn't keep any hair between each layer, it would be a giant chunk of blonde rather than the blended, multidimensional look it gives. It's pretty much the same principle with extensions.

As for a thick braid, the amount of hair is really what matters. As I said, I have extremely thick and coarse hair and even my hair can't really generate the big voluminous braids that stand out above the average braids. Since my extensions weren't thick as even half my hair, my braids were really thin. I mainly used the extensions for length and didn't count on them to add any thickness to my hair. If your natural hair gives you a relatively thin braid, you would need to have more extension hair than hair on your head. Dry shampoo, waves, etc. are great for giving body to the hair but it doesn't actually make the hair any thicker so it would look pretty much identical in a braid regardless what you do to it.

If you mainly want to use the extensions for braids, I would buy the cheapest hair you could get in a very thick weft. In a braid, bun, half-do (any style that isn't down) the quality of the extensions really doesn't matter it's the amount of hair. The thicker the extensions are, the more they will add to all your styles. Unless you plan to wear them down on a daily basis, I wouldn't really worry too much about the overall quality. I've seen professional extensions look terrible so it really is how you style the hair, not necessarily the hair itself.

And of course I'm sure you already know but your haircut really effects how thick your hair looks. Long layers will always make the hair look thicker regardless of it's actual texture. I would strongly suggest growing out all your layers while maintaining the length you want. I used to have a similar hair cut because I wanted to thin my hair and looking back in photos compared to now, it's like light and day.

deej
Debater
Debater

Post by deej » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I did end up going with cheap hair. The bundle is a bit heavier than most offered (160g) and I don't yet know if that means thicker wefts or just longer wefts. We'll see when it gets here.

I paid about $90.00 for 20 inch straight. After trimming and blending I think they'll be just right. I've been looking around for placement tips and I'll just have to play with it once I get the individual extensions made up.

I didn't think that doubling the weft sounded like a good idea. For reason you mentioned and also because if I ever did want to wear the extensions down and straight I think the thick stitching would show. Seriously though, I can only really imagine wearing them down for a costume or something.

Thanks again for all your helpful answers.

I have layers because I want more volume at the top of my head and less at the ends of my hair. After years of looonnngg layers in my fine-but-thick hair I finally bit the bullet and chopped in the layers I have now. I'm really loving having more volume on top.....longer layers were just too heavy and pulled my hair flat. The thinned out ends help me avoid the triangle look. I've had, over the years (I'm old...closer to 50 than 40) everything from very short pixie cut hair to below my butt. Right now I'm liking it more than I have in a long time. I just want my braid to be a little thicker and longer.

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 am

I'm glad you ended up happy! I hope I helped :)

Joline
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Joline » Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 am

Lsybeauty’s 100 percent virgin Brazilian remy hair, full lace wig & lace front wig give you long, gorgeous hair in minutes. It’s both tangle and shed free, and arrives styled in a free loose wave. It can easily be restyled for other textures and looks, from straight to body waves, to jerry curly and even kinky curly. It is double knotted for strength, but all the knots are bleached slightly for a more natural looking appearance. The glueless wig cap works for either lace front and full lace, so it’s easy and comfortable to wear.

We are a hair extension company & we deal with human hair only. We will guide you with all the necessary information & help you require regarding hair extensions.
We offer free color consultations to help you choose the right color for you. Check out our selection of wigs here! 
Lsybeauty Hair’s 100 percent virgin Brazilian remy hair, full lace wig & lace front wig give you long, gorgeous hair in minutes. <3

SuperSonya
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by SuperSonya » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:50 am

This thread is still helpful. Thanks!
:HK:

Return to “Hair Discussion”