Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed

Kleineganz

Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed

Post by Kleineganz »

I've been following the SourceFed/Phil DeFranco coverage of the Republican National Convention and I have to say that YouTube/Google got them a pretty swanky set up there (and why do all men look better in a suit and tie?).

Anyway, here's "Day 1"

[youtube][/youtube]

Like him or not, I would consider him one of the most successful YouTubers out there right now. He may not have the most Subs (although he's close to the top), but his channels have content of substance and he employs quite a sizeable staff these days.

guestgue

Re: Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed

Post by guestgue »

I haven't watched any of his coverage, but in general I really like Phil and his crew.

I will say that I think Vlogbrothers are pretty "there" in far as successful Youtubers though. They also have a project channel (Sourcefed and Scishow) but also get complete control over Youtube every year for P4A, not to mention Vidcon coverage. Their outside connections probably stretch farther as well (but some of that might be due to John's authorship)

But yea, I've always enjoyed Phil. I think he does a great job of balancing humor, his perspective, and the real story. I like that for his stories he actually links the source he's getting his info from. Often times I'll end up reading the article and then further readings as well.

I will say that you're right though, it's truly incredible what he's been able to do because of Youtube.

Sticky Gloss
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sticky Gloss »

I really enjoy Phil. Especially after watching a few of his live shows. He has a good way of drawing people in with fluff topics and then actually feeding you bits of news that most of his viewers might otherwise never take the time to find out about on their own. He's doing a really fantastic job with his company as well. No complaints from me.
forever stuffin'

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Phil posted this photo today and wow - he has come so far in 6 years. Good for him!

troncat
Informer
Informer

Post by troncat »

Want to revive this thread. SourceFed & Philip Defranco are so damn amazing. Lee Newton is my spirit animal.
ImageImage

herpderpin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by herpderpin »

I love Phil. I like Sourcefed most of the time, but occasionally I think they get a bit extreme and sidetrack a LOT from the story they're reporting on.

dudewtf
Informer
Informer

Post by dudewtf »

Love them both but watch more Sourcefed than I do the PDS.

timewasting
Informer
Informer

Post by timewasting »

I love Phil! His videos are the first ones I click on in my subscription box and I love how generous he is to his subscribers. I can't believe people complain about the $100 Amazon gift card and tell him to be more original about his gifts :x
At first I was iffy about Sourcefed but Elliot, Joe, Steve and Lee drew me in.

troncat
Informer
Informer

Post by troncat »

It's funny how people organise their subscription box. I always click on Phil's videos LAST because I have never been disappointed in him for over 5 years. Every time I watch a video of his I enjoy it no matter what the content. So I leave him till last because I'll always have a smile on my face when I turn off my computer haha

Is anyone else going to follow Elliott and Lee's HACKS series when it premiers? I'll be interested to see Elliott's writing chops for a longer scripted series.
ImageImage

enchanted15
Learner
Learner

Post by enchanted15 »

I look forward to watching TableTalk everyday! At first I didn't reallly get/ or like SourceFed, but the group has really grown on me.

troncat
Informer
Informer

Post by troncat »

enchanted15 wrote:I look forward to watching TableTalk everyday! At first I didn't reallly get/ or like SourceFed, but the group has really grown on me.
I adore Table Talk. Still not a big fan of Morning Mouth Off, but I watch it. I really despised Trisha at first. I cannot stand people who are "oh em gee sew nerdy" and I couldn't bare to watch any video with her in it. But she has 100% grown on me and I think she's utterly adorable now. I remember when SourceFed first launched at Elliott was hated by everyone but now he's the fan favourite lol

They've all really hit their stride now. It's wonderful to watch.
ImageImage

an0n
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by an0n »

I really do like them, and maybe this is cause their target audience is males (based on analytics) but I get a bit sick of some of their fart and other similar jokes all the time. Like I find particularly when Lee and Joe are together it can just get too immature.

turnme-up
Debater
Debater

Post by turnme-up »

I unsubbed from Phil two years ago but watched his Draw My Life video recently... can anyone tell me if him and Shay are still friends? And what happened between Phil and Kassem? I tried to do ~investigation~ on their channels but came up dry.

ScarletBloodDoll
Learner
Learner

Post by ScarletBloodDoll »

turnme-up wrote:I unsubbed from Phil two years ago but watched his Draw My Life video recently... can anyone tell me if him and Shay are still friends? And what happened between Phil and Kassem? I tried to do ~investigation~ on their channels but came up dry.
This is only what I have gathered more or less, anyone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Phil and Shay have had a rather strained relationship ever since the fallout with the Station channel.
The fallout with Phil and Kassem came when RWJ and Maker Studios began their infamous spat. Obviously sides were taken and Phil posted this comment on the RWJ article, "In my opinion another title to this article could have been "What Happens When Ray William Johnson Pokes a Sociopath with a Stick". Good luck Ray."
It was not taken kindly by the folks over at Maker Studios, I do not believe Shay directly responded to Phil but Kassem posted passive-aggressive comments to Twitter, which Phil replied to, and least to say it wasn't taken with a grain of salt by Kassem.

troncat
Informer
Informer

Post by troncat »

an0n wrote:I really do like them, and maybe this is cause their target audience is males (based on analytics) but I get a bit sick of some of their fart and other similar jokes all the time. Like I find particularly when Lee and Joe are together it can just get too immature.
This. I also don't like when they compromise their stories for the sake of stroking their own ego. Like they'll be halfway through a story and then it will completely derail into them shoving their overly cheesy sketch comedy down our throats. I find it's mainly Lee and Elliott who are guilty of it, especially since they come from sketch backgrounds.
ImageImage

Oubliette
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Oubliette »

I used to like SouceFed but they grew very annoying very quickly. Some of the reasons why I unsubscribed:

1. Lee's extremely high pitched voice. I know this might sound ridiculous but my ears can't stand her pitch. It's just too annoying when she talks like that during the entire video and it's not pleasant. That's why "reporters" should have a more toned down voice, so the audience is more receptive. This is a personal preference thing anyway. BTW, this is NOT the main reason lol.

2. Their jokes are way overdone and childish. They do this thing where they talk over each other when they're making a joke and it is sooo overdone. They're trying too hard to be like "The Office" and it is NOT paying off for me. The nature of their jokes is just plain stupid and childish and sometimes I feel like they just report news in order to make jokes. Some of their skits are plain stupid too.

3. Sometimes I feel like the girls are trying too hard to impress or to "fit in" with the guys, especially Meg.

4. They have way too many different segments and I got tired of my subscription box to be filled with 90% SourceFed.

5. Their video titles have become misleading and a joke.

6. I have the vibe from some of them feeling a little bit "holier-than-thou" when it comes to certain topics.

7. They can be super subjective with their news sometimes and that could be a problem.

There are more reasons but I'll leave it there for now.

I'm still subscribed to Phil though, I like his style better and he's "more mature" when it comes to reporting the news. I have always been a fan of Phil and he's one of the very few YouTubers whom I think DESERVES more than he has now, only because he's managed to do something extremely different and with a much needed purpose with his channel. He delivers news to the younger audience in a way that is appealing but not overdone (like SourceFed) and he's able to entertain at the same time. He's captured the attention of those who dislike reading the newspaper or watch the news on TV and he's managed to integrate his viewers in his discussions.

I think he did an EXCELLENT job covering the elections and I applaud him for that. I watched every single live video he made and I even watched him more than the stupidly biased big networks on TV. He has this no-bullshit policy that I love and he's up to date with everything. He's really good at what he does and I hope he continues doing it. SourceFed, on the other hand, is the total opposite of Phil and maybe that's what he wanted anyway. I'm glad Phil is the way he is though and I hope he doesn't go down the SourceFed road anytime soon.

To summarize my thoughts, here's the age range for which I think SourceFed and Phil's show are for:

SourceFed= 20 and under
Phil= 21 +

herpderpin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by herpderpin »

I agree entirely with the above post. It's so frustrating when they should be reporting on a story but instead it becomes an opinion-fest that basically sounds like "you're dumb if you don't agree with us."

it goes like..

"something happened"
"OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED"
"YEAH!! BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"YEEEAHHH!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"UGH MY OPINION MY OPINION MY OPINION"
"YEAH MY OPINION IS FACT"
/end segment

herpderpin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by herpderpin »

I like the Sourcefed bloopers because I think Lee can be hilarious in those but I just can't make it through most Sourcefed segments anymore. I do really enjoy Elliott's vlogs though.

MunsterCheese
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by MunsterCheese »

herpderpin wrote:I agree entirely with the above post. It's so frustrating when they should be reporting on a story but instead it becomes an opinion-fest that basically sounds like "you're dumb if you don't agree with us."

it goes like..

"something happened"
"OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED"
"YEAH!! BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"YEEEAHHH!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"UGH MY OPINION MY OPINION MY OPINION"
"YEAH MY OPINION IS FACT"
/end segment
You forgot the ''ask an almost unrelated comment question''

MunsterCheese
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by MunsterCheese »

I unsubbed from SourceFed just because it was drowning my sub box. I still follow them on tumblr though so I can see if the discuss anything I'm interested in, and I watch every Comment Commentary, bloopers, truth or dare, and behind the scenes video because I genuinely enjoy most of the gang there.

The other day I was watching a video (last week's t or d, I think?) and the top comment said something like "this exactly why Meg has been getting so much hate lately" What's that about? I find her to be a bit much sometimes, but I always got the impression that she was a crowd favourite.

Return to “Phil DeFranco / SourceFed / TheDeFrancoFam”