Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed Part 2

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Phil DeFranco (sxephil) / SourceFed Part 2

Post by Presence »

Lilly_paddycake wrote: As someone else said really what it boils down to is YouTube doesn't owe these creators anything. If Philip Defranco or Casey Neistat left the platform, there would be a dozen up and comers that would take their place.
LOL! Don't tease me like that!

Phil brings zero value. Casey has already used the platform to secure a lifetime of financial security and garner Internet fame. Yeah, they can both take a bow...

rai1234
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Post by rai1234 »

Lilly_paddycake wrote:
squirtlessquad wrote:
But I caseys defense the video wasn't talking about the shooting or covering it or speculating or anything regarding specifics. It was talking about the charity/gofundme for the victims. He's not really making content with subsistence. It's just a "hey there's this thing we're setting up if you wanna donate".
He also didn't make it about him at all.

sometimes people on GG just get so caught up in hating the youtuber that they disregard any detail that is on the youtubers side.

I think Phil is a shithead and Casey creeps me out but I think they're right on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter that he didn't show any footage of the shooting. The fact is that he was raising money for the Vegas Shooting victims, involved in the tragedy. So technically he was still going to profit off the tragedy, even if he was going to donate the profits from adsense.
I didn't read any comments that people wrote that weren't seeing Phil or Casey's side because they just don't like them. Everyone seems to have legit reasons why they think they are wrong. Also in Phil's video today he even explained that Jimmy s video had ads because those were partner ads and not associated with YouTube. So Casey and Phil can continue to bitch about being demonitized but YouTube told them why and haven't bent the rules for anyone else.
As someone else said really what it boils down to is YouTube doesn't owe these creators anything. If Philip Defranco or Casey Neistat left the platform, there would be a dozen up and comers that would take their place.
Adding to this, he already had a fundraiser going on for the victims, why the extra "I'll donate the money from this video"? He can easily donate that same amount of money out his own pocket and it wouldn't make a dent in his bank account. Phil and Ethan made such a big deal out of it when Casey only got mildly pissed when it was demonetized. It boggles my mind that YTers become millionaires making mediocre content (maybe except Casey puts in some effort) and then feel entitled to that money, when it's not an employer-employee relationship. Youtube truly doesn't owe anyone anything. They'll protect their own asses and advertisers before those creators.

And omg, Phil today mentioning that Gizmodo's "lousy" reporting on the situation made him happy because it gave him and his videos "more legitimacy" and tweeted a couple days ago that he's happy his platform is replacing them and traditional media, and shitting on them because they never apologized for falsely reporting something: a) there are always retractions and corrections in articles as big as NYT articles but they rarely apologize, b) this MF NEVER apologizes or corrects anything when he falsely reports something, and ignores every bit of criticism when he's gathering comments for his Friday show. Biggest hypocrite. There are so, so many examples of his hypocrisy I can write a freaking book about it.

Post by Guest »

^
^
weird, he gets his news from traditional media :?
its not like he is a reporter who risks his life to get the footage and write them down, he reads what other reporters spent hours on including research alone
this guy is a joke :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

To an extent I understand the concept of "donating the money the YouTube video makes" because it lets people basically "donate for free" (not everyone has "that $2 you were gonna spend at Starbucks" that so many YouTubers whinge about) but with that said, there are other ways to do that, other platforms where monetization would not have been against the platform's policies. Just off the top of my head YouNow comes to mind, hell even some kind of Twitch event, if you want to enable people to "donate for free" YouTube ads are not the only way to do that.

At face value I would say they're in the right because it SOUNDS like YouTube plays favourites, but in reality the facts show that that's not true... and this was either a very POORLY thought out action... or a very WELL thought out one. You either get traffic generated to your channel for that charity video where the proceeds go to the Vegas victims - or you DON'T get that extra traffic and they can call YouTube the Big Bad once again.

I'd love to think they're not that calculated and I'm just bitter. I just don't really believe in YouTubers their size (in terms of following and ego) doing anything that isn't thoroughly calculated. Phil and Casey are both trying to put brands on the map, their content is thought through from the first to the last second with the prospect of growth of the brand and channel in mind. I don't see how you CAN'T foresee this happening when YouTube is your every day all day job where you have constantly been confronted with demonetization over the past 6 months.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nesoi »

Return to “Phil DeFranco / SourceFed / TheDeFrancoFam”