Bernadette Banner

steamyhottea
Talker
Talker

Re: Bernadette Banner

Post by steamyhottea »

Okay, so first I have to admit I really like Bernadette Banner and her videos. I jumped on the bandwagon after the videos that folks keep bringing up (like the Christmas one) have been taken down from her channel. Maybe I didn't find her accent annoying because I was also marathon watching Frasier, but for the most part I think it's pretty soothing. I started watching her videos after my daughter was born and my post partum fried brain found the aesthetic, the accent, and the neat and tidyness soothing.

I have noticed some of her money and spending related comments a little jarring because I knew immediately she must have plenty of money based on the size and location of her apartment, although I assumed it was related to her Youtube success. She must make a good amount from adsense alone, as well as the sponsorships and I saw she had a collaboration with Vogue as well. So she has avenues for lots of income at this point. That being said, it was a bit of a bummer to hear her parents owned the apartment first. Although, I don't think her channel probably wouldn't be that successful in a run down closet elsewhere in New York, which is what most reasonable people can afford. So on a purely selfish level, whatever, keep filming in your million dollar apartment so my tired mom brain can look at nice sewing videos. I'm a garbage human and not afraid to admit it and I don't care where all this delicious aesthetic comes from, just GIVE IT TO ME. But, I don't think she needs to play up attempts to be financially relatable with comments like not buying faire food or eating packed food at hotels or not buying haircuts. Or, just keep the relatability related to the content, like not spending more on fabric. Sewing and craft gals of ALL economic spheres can relate to having to cut themselves off from buying more fabric (or yarn, DMC floss, etc). It's very on brand, it's not jarring at all, and it is relatable.

I did join her Patreon and she posts monthly vlogs where she opens up more and is just more herself. I signed up because I ran out of content and needed more and actually really like hearing what she's up to. I know her accent, which I do think is self chosen, is a posh accent for Americans (hence why Frasier Crane, esteemed Seattle radio psychologist, uses it - omg how old am I) so I can see why it would seem kind of snobby. But I also haven't seen the videos before she started making changes, so maybe I'm missing something. Mostly I just appreciate that she's living her aesthetic. Personally since I've had this womb fruit and staying home with her, I've gone old timey as heck with long skirts and aprons and hair kerchiefs and making sourdough from scratch because WHY NOT. Life is too short.

Oh and on the fast fashion thing - I don't think she's ever indicated that people who can't afford to sew or buy ethical clothing should be ashamed. Being for something doesn't mean you're automatically against people who are unable to do the thing you are for. I wish our general societal thinking would move away from that. I'm for using bamboo diapers for my kid but that doesn't mean I walk around with disdain for people who use regular diapers. They have to do what's right for them and their family. But I will promote sustainable diapers because I do care about it and sometimes people just don't know. I sure as hell didn't know synthetics are basically plastic, so I've learned something new and it's given me something to think about. But I'm not offended and I don't feel shamed or judged because I still have synthetic fast fashion clothing. I just see someone who is passionate about something using her platform to hopefully do some good. I don't see it as someone getting up on a soapbox to make me personally feel bad. I think everyone has at least one thing they really care about and that's OK.

Penelopeia
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Penelopeia »

steamyhottea wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:45 pm
Okay, so first I have to admit I really like Bernadette Banner and her videos. I jumped on the bandwagon after the videos that folks keep bringing up (like the Christmas one) have been taken down from her channel. Maybe I didn't find her accent annoying because I was also marathon watching Frasier, but for the most part I think it's pretty soothing. I started watching her videos after my daughter was born and my post partum fried brain found the aesthetic, the accent, and the neat and tidyness soothing.

I have noticed some of her money and spending related comments a little jarring because I knew immediately she must have plenty of money based on the size and location of her apartment, although I assumed it was related to her Youtube success. She must make a good amount from adsense alone, as well as the sponsorships and I saw she had a collaboration with Vogue as well. So she has avenues for lots of income at this point. That being said, it was a bit of a bummer to hear her parents owned the apartment first. Although, I don't think her channel probably wouldn't be that successful in a run down closet elsewhere in New York, which is what most reasonable people can afford. So on a purely selfish level, whatever, keep filming in your million dollar apartment so my tired mom brain can look at nice sewing videos. I'm a garbage human and not afraid to admit it and I don't care where all this delicious aesthetic comes from, just GIVE IT TO ME. But, I don't think she needs to play up attempts to be financially relatable with comments like not buying faire food or eating packed food at hotels or not buying haircuts. Or, just keep the relatability related to the content, like not spending more on fabric. Sewing and craft gals of ALL economic spheres can relate to having to cut themselves off from buying more fabric (or yarn, DMC floss, etc). It's very on brand, it's not jarring at all, and it is relatable.

I did join her Patreon and she posts monthly vlogs where she opens up more and is just more herself. I signed up because I ran out of content and needed more and actually really like hearing what she's up to. I know her accent, which I do think is self chosen, is a posh accent for Americans (hence why Frasier Crane, esteemed Seattle radio psychologist, uses it - omg how old am I) so I can see why it would seem kind of snobby. But I also haven't seen the videos before she started making changes, so maybe I'm missing something. Mostly I just appreciate that she's living her aesthetic. Personally since I've had this womb fruit and staying home with her, I've gone old timey as heck with long skirts and aprons and hair kerchiefs and making sourdough from scratch because WHY NOT. Life is too short.

Oh and on the fast fashion thing - I don't think she's ever indicated that people who can't afford to sew or buy ethical clothing should be ashamed. Being for something doesn't mean you're automatically against people who are unable to do the thing you are for. I wish our general societal thinking would move away from that. I'm for using bamboo diapers for my kid but that doesn't mean I walk around with disdain for people who use regular diapers. They have to do what's right for them and their family. But I will promote sustainable diapers because I do care about it and sometimes people just don't know. I sure as hell didn't know synthetics are basically plastic, so I've learned something new and it's given me something to think about. But I'm not offended and I don't feel shamed or judged because I still have synthetic fast fashion clothing. I just see someone who is passionate about something using her platform to hopefully do some good. I don't see it as someone getting up on a soapbox to make me personally feel bad. I think everyone has at least one thing they really care about and that's OK.
Everyone can go ahead and state their point of view. I do not know if your goal was to change ours, but it does not work for me. I wouldn't give Bernadette one penny of my hard earned money to support her on patreon. And i am just trying to sit here and imagine following scenario: let's say i have a kid and my husband is a staying at home dad and i am the only one working , and than i come home and find out he wastes our money on youtubers ...... i would not be amused. i am totally here for giving money to charities and to people or animals, who are in the need, but to someone like Bernadette? lol. No.

queequeg19
Debater
Debater
Been thanked: 0

Post by queequeg19 »

She's unlisting a bunch of videos and saying to people they can create their own playlist if they are worried they won't be able to see them again. The thing is she's saying you can't share the link in the comments of any of her videos. If she was so concerned with the older videos resurfacing for all to see just unlist them and don't tell anyone before hand.

Thedaisyalden
Learner
Learner

Post by Thedaisyalden »

queequeg19 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:24 am
She's unlisting a bunch of videos and saying to people they can create their own playlist if they are worried they won't be able to see them again. The thing is she's saying you can't share the link in the comments of any of her videos. If she was so concerned with the older videos resurfacing for all to see just unlist them and don't tell anyone before hand.
Again? Didn’t she already do this earlier this year? If true, I’m absolutely convinced that the two users (one claiming to be her, one who I seriously thought was Cathy Hay) who have posted their elaborate defenses of her on here actually ARE her. It seems highly coincidental that after both posts she has gone through and removed/hidden a bunch of videos.

HarmanBee
Learner
Learner

Post by HarmanBee »

Are Bernadette and Cathy Hay still friends?

Bernadette had this thung on her account in IG where people could "scream into the void" and one of her comments in stories was (replying to someone) thatshe recently was betrayed by a close friend and she though she would go into a mental breakdown but they both learn to move on and be indifferent. At the same time Cathy Hay posted a video/held live of FR team and Bernadette wasnt there. Then BB went and unlisted some videos on her channel and the majority of them contained Cathy Hay (except the Costume College video). I went on checkng both insyagrams and seems like Bernadette isnt following Cathy anymore? Or Am I so stupid and simply cant find it? Also Cathy's likes aren't popping up in new post of BB on her instagram and viseversa.

In her recent video with black hat she posted several hours aho she seemed to be tired and her voice wasnt as happy as usual.
Last edited by HarmanBee on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edwardianbrownies
Lurker
Lurker

Post by edwardianbrownies »

HarmanBee wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:27 pm
Are Bernadette and Cathy Hay still friends?

Bernadette had this thung on her account in IG where people could "scream into the void" and one of her comments in stories was (replying to someone) thatshe recently was betrayed by a close friend and she though she would go into a mental breakdown but they both learn to move on and be indifferent. At the same time Cathy Hay posted a video/held live of FR team and Bernadette wasnt there. Then BB went and unlisted some videos on her channel and the majority of them contained Cathy Hay (except the Costume College video). I went on checkng both insyagrams and seems like Bernadette isnt following Cathy anymore? Or Am I so stupid and simply cant find it? Also Cathy's likes aren't popping up in new post of BB on her instagram and viseversa.

In her recent video with black hat she posted several hours aho she seemed to be tired and her voice wasnt as happy as usual.
Omg! I saw that story and I was really wondering who it was. I am schocked! I was really trying to find out who it was, but I think you might be right, Cathy has not liked or interacted with any of BB's posts. They are still Facebook friends. It might also explain why she didn't rave about the Foundations Revealed opening... Her articles are still up on the website. Maybe she didn't get paid by Cathy? I really wonder how she has betrayed BB.

Also, BB is almost at 1m followers on Youtube. Does anyone think she buys followers? It seems insane to me that her channel has grown so much and that she has so many videos with over 1m views when she has a really small niche.

unrelentingspleen
Lurker
Lurker

Post by unrelentingspleen »

Well if this is true then I guess we know the reason for her unlisting spree.
They're both still following each other that i can see so idk. But I did find it odd that none of the costuming community promoted Cathy Hay's sewing program last week. Usually it's this whole big deal. Bernadette does a whole social media campaign, a few others at least do IG posts and Costuming Drama will talk about it in a vlog but it was radio silence across the board this time. I wouldn't be surprised if Cathy was just using Bernadette for views/promo, considering Bernadette was constantly shouting her out and she gained a massive following for it.

HarmanBee
Learner
Learner

Post by HarmanBee »

Yes now I see that they both follow each other on IG, but no mutual likes and I dont know maybe I rememmber it wrong but Cathy's video about her Worth dress had a different title? BB for sure unlisted the videos where she and Cathy were together (except the one about Costume College), but some like Cosy Sewing retreat and "Where did she take me" are now gone.

airlocked
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by airlocked »

Wow that's awkward then especially in terms of the peacock dress

itsnotaphasemom
Lurker
Lurker

Post by itsnotaphasemom »

and she removed a dozen of her posts on IG in a last few days
cathy hasn't liked her posts since september 28

god i need some drama
sewing community is nice but sooooo boring
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

edwardianbrownies
Lurker
Lurker

Post by edwardianbrownies »

My tinfoil over why the feud happened :

1- BB has applied for a visa to move to England (as confirmed on Patreon). Cathy was perhaps supposed to help her in that regards but backed out.
2-Some drama on Foundations Revealed. She is nowhere to be found anywhere on the website and is not on the Facebook group anymore, and no account on the FR website.
3- Cathy is jealous of BB's success.

HarmanBee
Learner
Learner

Post by HarmanBee »

edwardianbrownies wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:59 am

1- BB has applied for a visa to move to England (as confirmed on Patreon). Cathy was perhaps supposed to help her in that regards but backed out.
2-Some drama on Foundations Revealed. She is nowhere to be found anywhere on the website and is not on the Facebook group anymore, and no account on the FR website.
I guess one doesnt exclude the other, everything can happen! But doesnt she have more then one friend besides Cathy Hay?

And is she really going to move to UK? That's interesting... Did she state that on Patreon?

itsnotaphasemom
Lurker
Lurker

Post by itsnotaphasemom »

and she removed a dozen of her posts on IG in a last few days
cathy hasn't liked her posts since september 28

steamyhottea
Talker
Talker

Post by steamyhottea »

HarmanBee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am
edwardianbrownies wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:59 am

I guess one doesnt exclude the other, everything can happen! But doesnt she have more then one friend besides Cathy Hay?

And is she really going to move to UK? That's interesting... Did she state that on Patreon?
Can confirm as someone subscribed to her Patreon that she is trying to move to the UK. My goodness so much exciting drama has transpired

HarmanBee
Learner
Learner

Post by HarmanBee »

Did anyone notice that Bernadette stopped posting for #fallforcostume? She stopped on day 13 and I havent seen anything new. I wonder if she got her visa or not...

Seraphinianus
Talker
Talker

Post by Seraphinianus »

I wish her luck if she wants to move over here, I hope she has very good private health insurance and never gets sick. If Bernadette is as poor as she's making out she is, she will struggle when it comes to converting US dollars to GBP. She still won't be able to afford to get her hair cut, and I think she'll have a bit of a shock at how expensive everything is on a day to day basis as opposed to coming here for a holiday and going home again because if she's living here and needs it then she'll HAVE to buy it. If she goes to a fabric shop here she'll probably get half of the tweed she bought and it'd still cost her more. I've paid £12 a metre for a good patterned cotton fabric and I needed 3 metres. Which is fine, again, if you're used to going to the garment district in the US and paying less and it's a one off, but on a day to day basis in the UK it's different.

But, I have a feeling mummy and daddy will step in and she will be gifted a beautiful period cottage that she can sit in and sew to her hearts content...

meowcatmeow
Learner
Learner

Post by meowcatmeow »

Seraphinianus wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:40 am
I wish her luck if she wants to move over here, I hope she has very good private health insurance and never gets sick. If Bernadette is as poor as she's making out she is, she will struggle when it comes to converting US dollars to GBP. She still won't be able to afford to get her hair cut, and I think she'll have a bit of a shock at how expensive everything is on a day to day basis as opposed to coming here for a holiday and going home again because if she's living here and needs it then she'll HAVE to buy it. If she goes to a fabric shop here she'll probably get half of the tweed she bought and it'd still cost her more. I've paid £12 a metre for a good patterned cotton fabric and I needed 3 metres. Which is fine, again, if you're used to going to the garment district in the US and paying less and it's a one off, but on a day to day basis in the UK it's different.

But, I have a feeling mummy and daddy will step in and she will be gifted a beautiful period cottage that she can sit in and sew to her hearts content...
£12 a metre for quality cotton fabric seems like a pretty normal price to me? I'm in the US and that's about what I would pay. Also I doubt the cost of living in the UK is that different from NYC. Maybe in the more expensive parts of London, but there are plenty of places in the UK that are much more affordable than Manhattan. Plus she's lived there before so she probably knows what she's getting herself into.

quietuptown
Stalker
Stalker

Post by quietuptown »

HarmanBee wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:11 am
Yes now I see that they both follow each other on IG, but no mutual likes and I dont know maybe I rememmber it wrong but Cathy's video about her Worth dress had a different title? BB for sure unlisted the videos where she and Cathy were together (except the one about Costume College), but some like Cosy Sewing retreat and "Where did she take me" are now gone.
BB has unfollowed Cathy, but it seems Cathy still follows BB.

HarmanBee
Learner
Learner

Post by HarmanBee »

quietuptown wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:20 am
HarmanBee wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:11 am
BB has unfollowed Cathy, but it seems Cathy still follows BB.
No, they still follow each other. Just checked.

Penelopeia
Learner
Learner

Post by Penelopeia »

In all honesty, i think she wants to move to London out of some daydreaming fantasy about the victorian lifestyle. In her head she is probably picturing herself living in 221b and being Sherlock Holmes. In Europe there are plenty of people who are extremly talented and are into victorian sewing and clothes, she should stay in the US, where her way of life is considered something special. And it is not like it is going to be easy in Britain with Brexit comming and Coronavirus rules everywhere. Not a good time to move. Unless- of course- her parents are going to buy her a nice little house somewhere in the middle of scottisch landscape, than the life will be pretty nice for her.

Return to “Costubers”