bonnyrebecca

Forum rules
Please keep in mind - No Homophobic or Racist Posts!
peanutella
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bonnyrebecca

Post by peanutella »

She's a vegan youtuber who used to be friends with Essena O'Neill. I used to like her because she seemed like a nice, down to earth girl, but recently she's been acting kind of obnoxious and arrogant.
Non.

paperdoll12
Learner
Learner

Re: bonnyrebecca

Post by paperdoll12 »

I've always liked her videos more than Essena's and she definitely comes across as more real and friendly than Essena ever did, in my opinion.

The drone footage in her past few videos has been unreal.

slicker
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by slicker »

she's a bit pretentious.

luvey
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by luvey »

i really liked her at first. i got sucked in when she did that first 30 days of vlogging last year. but there is something really irritating about her this time around. and yeah, she is coming across as a know it all and rather pretentious this time around.

paperdoll12
Learner
Learner

Post by paperdoll12 »

One thing I do find really annoying is the way she talks about university and pursuing any type of education - not sure why this seems to be a common theme among some of the popular vegans on social media.

I think Bonny seems like a nice girl, but she does need to calm down a bit on the talking down to people bit she does in some of her videos.

justahuman
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by justahuman »

I like her videos too. But she's starting to get kinda bratty/ doing excessive cussing when things don't go her way. Like the whole camera situation, it wasn't that big of a deal, like seriously how many ways can she possibly film her food/ bike rides lol?

peanutella
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by peanutella »

justahuman wrote:I like her videos too. But she's starting to get kinda bratty/ doing excessive cussing when things don't go her way. Like the whole camera situation, it wasn't that big of a deal, like seriously how many ways can she possibly film her food/ bike rides lol?
Yes, this! I get so annoyed at the cussing and overall attitude which is becoming really bitchy and mean.
Non.

Chloe_Bean
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Chloe_Bean »

I find her to be really rude. Her and Tim are constantly late, they do everything last minute, and she laughs it off like it's cute or funny when it's not excusable seeing as how they aren't THAT busy. I also think people have a point when they call her out on not volunteering or anything, it's not like she doesn't have the time, the only reason she thinks she's so busy with youtube is because she's such a huge procrastinator lol.

xkiwilava
Informer
Informer

Post by xkiwilava »

One thing that really annoys me about Bonny is the way she responds to criticism on Tumblr. She will get the slightest bit of criticism and she will put a million laughing crying emojis being like GUYS LOOK AT THE STUPID THINGS PEOPLE SAY THIS IS SO DUMB I DO SO MUCH FOR THE VEGAN COMMUNITY or whatever. If being a vegan truly has made you such a radiant, grateful, and appreciate human being connected with the planet then how about you calm down with the sassy attitude.

justahuman
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by justahuman »

^ I've noticed that too. Just like in her newest video about avoiding fats. She was being ridiculously aggressive about a youtube comment and was being condescending to her viewers.

kyaraslife
Informer
Informer

Post by kyaraslife »

I have followed her on Youtube since the last time she did her 30 days of vlogging. I really liked her style of vlogging. it was refreshing and I looked forward to it. When I found out she was doing it again in May I was pretty stoked. But this time around it was pretty different, and her attitude annoyed me so much I had to finally rant.

First off, when she started off the vlogs she was hanging out with Stephanie. I found that girl to be very very obnoxious and her laugh and constant happy go get attitude seemed very fake to me. Seemed like it was heightened when she was around bonny, because on her own channel she didnt come off as that insufferable.

Next I gotta comment on Bonny's cussing. OMG she cusses so much and over uses the word "fuck". This was new to me cause she came off as very personable and nice in her previous vlogs and didnt cuss. She seem to make a huge huge deal out of every small situation and records her cussing on camera. Especially with the camera issue. you are vlogging for youtube, you dont daily vlog every single day of the month either. There are lots of youtubers who use pretty affordable cameras to daily vlog. She keeps on talking about having to replace lenses and etc.. It doesnt make any sense at all why she needs all this expensive gear.

Also whats up with her new new found love to come so strong on bashing every single person who is not following in her steps and following a "vegan diet"? She sounds very very preachy, judgemental and hypocritical tbh. It is great that the vegan diet works for her, and she is found what works for her lifestyle given her family history of illness, influence from Tim etc etc. But this girl and her friend Emily Hunt loves to bash non vegans and call who doesnt follow a vegan diet as "fucked up". Isnt a huge part of being vegan about being humble, understanding and appreciating the lifeform around you? Screw that but isnt it just basic decency to respect other people's choices? the vegan lifestyle is a choice and its not for everyone, she is super misinformed and the brattyness is huge on this one.

Also her knee injury;I dont know the amount of pain and the extent of it, but surely biking is not helping her injuries.

What finally made me super angry was the fact that she devoted one entire video to talk and rant about how everyone is making judgements on her eating patterns and how annoyed she was at it. She is becoming unbearable to watch by the day and i hope she stops being so bratty.

peanutella
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by peanutella »

I feel like she's very slowly turning into Freelee or something. Her current attitude is repulsive and not doing her any favours.
Non.

illuminate
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by illuminate »

I kind of like her -- though I like her friend Emily Hunt better, she's way cooler and is actually studying for a degree in nutrition. I find it irritating that she sometimes cites misinformation, and most of the time provides no evidence for her claims at all. I'm definitely pro-vegan, because I care about not destroying the planet in the next 50 years, but Bonny comes off as sooo preachy sometimes.

BeccaRain
Learner
Learner

Post by BeccaRain »

Chloe_Bean wrote:I find her to be really rude. Her and Tim are constantly late, they do everything last minute, and she laughs it off like it's cute or funny when it's not excusable seeing as how they aren't THAT busy. I also think people have a point when they call her out on not volunteering or anything, it's not like she doesn't have the time, the only reason she thinks she's so busy with youtube is because she's such a huge procrastinator lol.
These things are definitely what annoy me most about her.

I've been following her across different platforms for a while now and especially loved her when Essena and crew were still around because she seemed so much more humble, kind, and honest than all the rest of the vegans. However, now that I've seen a lot of her, there's just things about her that get on my nerves.

As you mentioned, what bothers me most is how defensive she gets when people suggest she do things such as volunteering/work/etc outside of just Youtubing. She always responds that "Social media is my full time job" and that by promoting veganism on social media she is doing "more good than she could be volunteering." ??? This bothers me so much. Of course she's getting the vegan message across the many via social media and that's great, but she's only really accessing/helping in any way the privileged people of the world that have smart phones and Internet connection and can afford to be picky with food. And it seems that she has a lot of free time. Aside from when she does 30 Day Challenges, she doesn't upload a huge amount of videos. I would also like to see her answer more questions on her Tumblr as I definitely think that's the best platform where she can connect and answer questions. Otherwise, from what I've seen in her snapchats/videos, she spends a majority of the day biking, eating out, or making food. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it's disappointing that she argues that she doesn't need to volunteer or do anything other than social media when she seems to have the time to do so. She could make such a different in her local community (or worldwide) if she did.

In addition, I believe she said her and Tim are going to the Thai Fruit Festival for 3 months. (I may be totally incorrect on that number - it's either 1 month or 3 months) From what I've gathered, the TFF is just a glorified event in which vegans, under Freelee and Harley, mostly just spend a long period of time together biking and eating fruit.

On the other hand, there's a huge demand for native English speakers to come to Thailand and teach English in rural schools around the country. English obviously gives young students in Thailand a significant advantaged upon entering a global work force. There's volunteer options and ones in which you can get payed for teaching. Imagine the experiences Bonny could gain if she instead went to Thailand to teach English, therefore immersing herself in the culture and making connections with local people?

I'm being picky with her, I know. She's just so preachy about doing good in the world that I can't help but think of ways she could set a better example.

Like a lot of you all have said, it really bothers me how defensive and arrogant overall she gets about many comments/messages she receives. Also, she's definitely a huge Freelee/Harley follower, and for me that's a huge turn-off when looking at vegan Youtubers. I can appreciate what Freelee and Harley have done initially to help spread the vegan movement, but their awful attitudes, willingness to attack others, arrogance, and huge advocacy against education cover any of their positive efforts. I truly despise them.

There's so much more I'd like to say, haha. I've been waiting for a Bonny thread to pop up! I respect that she's making the effort to spread the vegan message and whatnot, but there's some hypocrisy and things that bother me about her.

Chloe_Bean
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Chloe_Bean »

Exactly, she's not super consistent with her social media anyway. She doesn't upload more than once a week normally, and she hasn't been super active on instagram or tumblr either(although she's been posting more on instagram lately). If social media is her job she should be have an uploading schedule and be on tumblr every day.

^ And IA about teaching or something in Thailand, a lot of vegan youtubers seem to live there for months at a time and all I see them doing is going to the gym and working on their e books (and don't even get me started on some youtubers and their cookbooks when they make the same boring ass meals every day in their vlogs that don't require a recipe lol), my friend just got back from teaching there for 6 months.

At the end of the day, Bonny is lazy, and social media, while it might be work, is not as hard or time consuming as she tries to make it seem, clearly.

luvey
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by luvey »

what happened to her traveling? she quit teaching dance because she and her bf were planning lots of traveling.

BeccaRain
Learner
Learner

Post by BeccaRain »

luvey wrote:what happened to her traveling? she quit teaching dance because she and her bf were planning lots of traveling.
She's leaving for Thailand for an extended period of time in 3 days or so. I believe she'll also be going to Hawaii (to see Ellen Fisher) and LA sometime this year, too. Not sure though.

luvey
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by luvey »

BeccaRain wrote:
luvey wrote:what happened to her traveling? she quit teaching dance because she and her bf were planning lots of traveling.
She's leaving for Thailand for an extended period of time in 3 days or so. I believe she'll also be going to Hawaii (to see Ellen Fisher) and LA sometime this year, too. Not sure though.
thanks. i was curious and confused because it has been a while since the time she quit work...and now with barely any travel. wonder why she didn't keep the job until it was actually closer to her travel time.

Chloe_Bean
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Chloe_Bean »

So is Tim living off Bonny or his mom? Because he doesn't have a job right? And he doesn't have a consistent social media presence to be making money on it. These people always claim they are living off of savings but I find it hard to believe they've all saved 20,000+ dollars working in the jobs they've had. Like that Stephanie girl who has been traveling for a year now and is apparently living off of savings she earned in high school, what job was she doing? lol

peanutella
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by peanutella »

Yeah, the money thing is weird. Are there any Aussies here who could estimate how much rent they would be paying on an apartment like theirs? They eat out a lot, and generally seem to spend quite a lot of money. I've been wondering for a while now how they're able to pay for all of this. I did think Tim had a job though. Surprised to read he doesn't.
Non.

Return to “A-M”