Eve Bennett

Forum rules
Please keep in mind - No Homophobic or Racist Posts!
polarbearjuliet
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eve Bennett

Post by polarbearjuliet »

keliza wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:34 am
I don't know how language education works in the UK. I took a language to AP level in the US which meant I had the equivalent of four semesters college level. I wouldn't say I was fluent, but I could mostly think in the language, carry on conversations, get my point across if I didn't know the exact word. I would think an A level proficiency would be at least as good, then two years of university be studying only languages and months abroad...but Eve still has to review basic travel phrases? Spanish and German are not especially difficult. Not necessarily criticizing her if the teaching system isn't useful but it just strikes me as odd.
I did French and Spanish (admittedly, starting back in 2003 and not at Oxbridge) and I had 120 credits a year, of which 60 were my two language modules and the rest was made up of literature and culture. I hadn't done enough research, I hadn't realised how little language learning there was in a language degree. Once I'd realised, I grabbed every linguistics module I could find - more interesting to me personally but still not actual language learning. If I'd done a single language, I suspect it would have been 30 credits of language and 90 of other stuff.

bbyblue
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bbyblue »

Why does she stare in the viewfinder so much lol

hannz16
Debater
Debater

Post by hannz16 »

Did anyone see her studytub project story ? Someone asked about her year abroad and she said it’s likely: she wants to go to Berlin sept- Christmas , then travel Latin America, then go to Argentina from March ...

So, she should’ve just not complained so much online. I know things might change, but as of now it’s all fine basically.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

hannz16 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:22 pm
Did anyone see her studytub project story ? Someone asked about her year abroad and she said it’s likely: she wants to go to Berlin sept- Christmas , then travel Latin America, then go to Argentina from March ...

So, she should’ve just not complained so much online. I know things might change, but as of now it’s all fine basically.
Her original plan was the other way round, she was going to go to Argentina first. I think she's swapped it around since she's far more likely to be able to get to the continent first before South America

SilentSue
Learner
Learner

Post by SilentSue »

She's basically a massive drama queen. Things always work out for her in the end, making her histrionics completely laughable. It was the same for her exam dramas when she was "convinced" she'd messed up her A-levels, and her "mental health" issues jeopardising her studies leading her to get a First...

tyingtides
Learner
Learner

Post by tyingtides »

SilentSue wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:17 am
She's basically a massive drama queen. Things always work out for her in the end, making her histrionics completely laughable. It was the same for her exam dramas when she was "convinced" she'd messed up her A-levels, and her "mental health" issues jeopardising her studies leading her to get a First...
I do agree that she is a bit of a drama queen, although I don't think it's fair to talk about her genuine mental health issues like that. I can see in some aspects of her portrayal of them she was a little dramatic, but at its core, her mental health forced her to take focus away from her academics. Although she was always going to be fine, she didn't think so. I've been in that same boat and whilst (I would like to think) I'm not as dramatic as Eve, a decline in mental health may not necessarily affect your results but it sure as hell affects your work ethic and motivation. As Eve has always been very motivated, I'm sure that's why she felt like she was going to fail.

keliza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by keliza »

I hope Eve realizes soon that as inconvenient as she is finding things, her professors and tutors are also finding it challenging. Most of them probably have children or aging parents to care for or be concerned about, or family members who have to work in risky jobs and can't stay home and safe. They also have to think about their students that don't have home conditions suitable for studying and how to be fair to them. Being frustrated with being stuck at home is fine but she really should stop rolling her eyes when everything doesn't happen on her schedule. At least not publicly on YouTube.

Guess I am just annoyed when people whine about still being accountable for things when my own job has zero slack and I know hospital workers going to work without PPE and teachers trying to teach from home while their own kids need to be helped through schoolwork. Real life doesn't stop for your convenience. She's pretty lucky she got some real time off.

ailsa_mac 731
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ailsa_mac 731 »

Hey I'm also a 2nd year modern languages student at another university though. My university just announced that they are cancelling all years abroad for next year and giving people the option of transferring to the 3 year degree or doing final year next year (not sure yet how it'll work with class levels and the dissertation but I'm taking that option) then doing the year abroad after (coming back to graduate) because they believe it'll last until into next academic year. I assume most universities will probably take the same or a similar course of action because its logical and means that students are able to stay safe. Of course it means there's a ton of scramble for last minute accommodation and what not but what else can they do?

tutu10
Learner
Learner

Post by tutu10 »

Lol at Eve doing Fabletics ad, she doesn't even work out, she only goes on walks. She's so money hungry, I bet she started walking because of the ad.

thequietlurker
Talker
Talker

Post by thequietlurker »

She's talking about making a workout video... 😬 I really hope she doesn't:

1) She's not fit. At all. She's never shown ant interest in fitness prior to this. So it'd just be for that sweet sponsorship money.

2) Making a "get fit in quarantine" video is SO irresponsible and feeding into the narrative that you must use this time productively, and also that weight gain in quarantine should be avoided. As someone who's talking lots about having some disorder eating, I would've hoped she'd be more responsible than that.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

Yeah this video just felt out of place to me. Her sponsorships are normally quite well aligned with her brand and this one just is not. It makes sense for Molly to occasionally do ads for Fabletics since she does seem to work out fairly regularly, but I'm pretty sure Eve has only really started exercising in quarantine.

hannz16
Debater
Debater

Post by hannz16 »

ECH wrote:Yeah this video just felt out of place to me. Her sponsorships are normally quite well aligned with her brand and this one just is not. It makes sense for Molly to occasionally do ads for Fabletics since she does seem to work out fairly regularly, but I'm pretty sure Eve has only really started exercising in quarantine.
I recall from her instagram live when someone commented ‘at least you’ll still be making money’ and she said no as no ads, which again shows she’s being dramatic as she’s so lucky to have a platform right now and make ANY money! and here we are with a AD video

MiaGo
Learner
Learner

Post by MiaGo »

There are some many Youtubers who have been getting into Fitness lately (Lydia Violeta comes to mind) why on earth did they pick Eve for this ad? She didn’t even run her “run 5 tag 5 donate 5” ... Nothing wrong with that but not someone
who should talk about fitness?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sergeantsantiago
Talker
Talker

Post by sergeantsantiago »

Someone posted this article on Ruby Granger thread and it's a really good read:
https://www.ebb-magazine.com/essays/stu ... oductivity

Eve's response to it though is super defensive lmao. It does focus mainly on Ruby but it's critique is well-reasoned and not uncalled for or harsh. I think it can get a bit overwrought in places, but overall its message is really solid and summed up some thoughts on Studytube I didn't know how to explain. It doesn't matter that Studytubers have "good intentions" -- that doesn't absolve them (or you Eve) from some of the things the article highlighted. Good intentions don't automatically equate to good actions or being a good influence after all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verygoodja
Lurker
Lurker

Eve Bennett

Post by Verygoodja »

MiaGo wrote:There are some many Youtubers who have been getting into Fitness lately (Lydia Violeta comes to mind) why on earth did they pick Eve for this ad? She didn’t even run her “run 5 tag 5 donate 5” ... Nothing wrong with that but not someone
who should talk about fitness?!

I think they maybe want to *DiVeRsIfY* or something. People who are into fitness might likely already own fabletics, they might want to widen their customer base to less athletic or fit people (like eve) to gain more customers that they may not have gotten otherwise? Like “oh I don’t have to be into sport to wear this, I can wear it round the house like Eve!”

I mean they’ve got Sierra Schultzie advertising fabletics, and she’s known for lying about her size and all she does for exercise is short walks. And that’s only started recently.

Studytuber
Talker
Talker

Post by Studytuber »

Did anybody else see Jack Edward's little indirect on it?

geegee1003
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by geegee1003 »

Studytuber wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:05 am
Did anybody else see Jack Edward's little indirect on it?

Am I missing something what's this about?

astridivy
Learner
Learner

Post by astridivy »

Guys I know I’m so late with this but having just watched Eve’s DITL of an online student video and read back her old tweets (see screenshot) I’m so mad.

To act like she cannot possibly cope studying at home because she’s an OXFORD student is so ridiculous and entitled. None of us have access to library books we need for the semester and we are all going stir crazy at home. I go to one of the best unis in Australia and haven’t come across anyone complaining like this... we’ve all just got on with it as best we can. I wrote a bunch of assignments where I didn’t have access to the best books for the topic. Granted I’m sure Oxford is v challenging but to be so entitled when there’s so many people struggling is extremely tone deaf. It isn’t an Oxford problem!

This tweet just rubbed me the wrong way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verygoodja
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Verygoodja »

Did anyone see this tweet? She seems to have deleted it now. I’m going to be starting a languages degree in September and I’m in contact with a lot of other people also doing similar MFL courses at the uni next year, none of us choose these degrees to become fluent? Like yes obviously it’s a massive plus, but you also choose to study a language because you love the language & want to learn more about the culture? I’m not too sure how to explain myself here, idk this tweet just came across as a bit angry and excessive when I read it. Like eve, I know you’re frustrated, but what are universities supposed to do? We can’t travel internationally yet, most places are under lockdown, it’s just an extremely unfortunate situation that will have to be adapted for. And if fluency is such an issue, she could always live in Germany or Spain after her degree - if they do take the year abroad away.

tyingtides
Learner
Learner

Post by tyingtides »

Verygoodja wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:59 am
Did anyone see this tweet? She seems to have deleted it now. I’m going to be starting a languages degree in September and I’m in contact with a lot of other people also doing similar MFL courses at the uni next year, none of us choose these degrees to become fluent? Like yes obviously it’s a massive plus, but you also choose to study a language because you love the language & want to learn more about the culture? I’m not too sure how to explain myself here, idk this tweet just came across as a bit angry and excessive when I read it. Like eve, I know you’re frustrated, but what are universities supposed to do? We can’t travel internationally yet, most places are under lockdown, it’s just an extremely unfortunate situation that will have to be adapted for. And if fluency is such an issue, she could always live in Germany or Spain after her degree - if they do take the year abroad away.

That tweet just made me really angry. If the purpose of doing an MFL degree was to become fluent in the language I would've applied for one, but as you said, a large portion of it is learning about culture and history. You can become fluent without even learning a language through school/uni. Lollll she is so entitled it's funny at this point. :D

Return to “A-M”