urmel
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 62:DanIsNotAYoutuber and AmazingHiatus

Post by urmel »

hagino wrote:

Maybe I'm too old (same age as Dan), but I don't like his older videos. He DID mature a lot since the beginning of youtube, in my opinion.
Idk if that's necessarily an age thing as much as it is a taste thing, I'm also Dan's age and love his 2012-2014 stuff. Also the charity advert video, that's late 2011. And the Uncle Ken video but that was privated ages ago.

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

Ghostie_
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Ghostie_ »

I hope the drama around the V day video didn’t make them break up. That’d be horrible...

I can’t imagine being in a closeted relationship for a decade without someone seeing them...taking a photo of them holding hands and spreading it...which is why I wonder if they broke up.

With Real person fiction...ehhh personally reading it would weird me out but I suppose as long as they’re not sending it to them directly...
Just your friendly neighbourhood bitch

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

The videos I really love of Dan's are his "younger" ones but in general I like the life stories with skits like about the panic button or the Bahamas disaster. I'm also around the same age as Dan.

I got real sick of people who don't even watch DnP policing fanfiction. They literally wrote fanfiction for their own book. And from Dan's it was pretty obvious he knew the common tropes. They said they're fine with it so let people live. The people in the fanfic aren't the real DnP anyway because none of the authors know them personally.

What Dan was getting at was stalking them (I know I learned the address they live at from message boards trying to keep it secret which is ironic) or tweeting them invasive shit about coming out (when they hadn't) or about wanting couple pictures or whatever. I think as long as fanwork stays fanwork and the 4th wall is there it's all fine. Although with DnP there is no 4th wall because they're on too many of the same websites as the fans. But again: They said they're fine with it. If they hated fanwork they wouldn't have done the tumblr tag videos or written fanfic for TABINOF.

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

I’m not even sure what I should do about that. The video is still out there (It’s easy to put it down; I could just claim it) but it won’t change anything. There will always be copies of it. That’s what Dan implied in his video too, because of his social media accounts. What’s once posted on the internet will always stay there.

Of course, it’s a shame it was ever un-privated, but that’s the dangerous thing about the internet.

We can’t ever stop the people from posting it – it’s just not possible.

Just like @Smarties; My curiosity got the better of me and I watched it as well. Not the first time I watched a video I was not supposed to. We all do things we shouldn’t do, unfortunately.

I’ll dare to be very honest now: I got a bit annoyed at the “Dan and Phil police” right now who tried to “teach” the fandom what to do and what not to do. As in: “Stop writing fanfiction about them – especially explicit content. They don’t want that! Dan said so in his video”
Where did he? He said not to bother their private life – which I fully agree. He didn’t say anything about fanworks.
If anything the fans do, affects the relationship of someone – then they go too far. I don’t see something wrong with fanworks as long as they don’t shove their fanworks into their faces or harass them in general. As some certain other youtubers did (Onision for example……)
I know some celebrities don’t want that. A football player made the websites delete all kind of fanfics about him. An author made the websites delete all of the fanworks about her book characters. But Dan and Phil were not bothered by the fanworks or they could’ve easily made the fans stop.

By the way: About Dan being annoyed at the fans. I do get it somehow. I've read some comments, but especially what they write to him in his live shows. I was like "WTH" the whole time. Is it because their fans are just so young that they post weird shit like that?
I would be annoyed too if I got such weird comments all the time.

Maybe I'm too old (same age as Dan), but I don't like his older videos. He DID mature a lot since the beginning of youtube, in my opinion.
Btw. unrelated, but even though Dan is handsome on the first sight. The more I watched Phil, the more I think he's good-looking as well.
Totally agree!
Sorry if I came like a Dan and Phil police type (lord knows with the amount of fanfic I read, and how much researching I did on them back in the day, I’m not exactly guilt free from getting in their lives), it was more that I’m seeing people begin to act as if the fact that they came out makes them spreading the video more okay. There will always be copies, nothing is ever gone from the internet, but making more copies and sharing them on a larger scale despite explicitly being told not to just gets to me. Some people treat it like fanfic, which is a fine freedom of expression that they agree with, when in reality it’s actually not even close.

I feel we all could drone on and on about the annoying younger fans, but to completely honest, who wasn’t kinda like that when they were younger? The only difference now is that fans of these internet celebrities have way more connection with them than with traditional celebrities. That being said, the stuff people say to either of them or about them still makes me think “who would write this?!”. Although with the amount of creepy stuff they get towards them, I feel Dan and Phil do a pretty good job at taking it.

also unrelated, Phil certainly looks better post-fringe, watching any post 2015 video where he has the fringe just makes me shake my head.
there is definitely a typo in this post

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

I think slight age-related thinning made the fringe just not look as good, that haircut needed lots of volume to shine.

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

Smarties wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:19 am
The videos I really love of Dan's are his "younger" ones but in general I like the life stories with skits like about the panic button or the Bahamas disaster. I'm also around the same age as Dan.

I got real sick of people who don't even watch DnP policing fanfiction. They literally wrote fanfiction for their own book. And from Dan's it was pretty obvious he knew the common tropes. They said they're fine with it so let people live. The people in the fanfic aren't the real DnP anyway because none of the authors know them personally.

What Dan was getting at was stalking them (I know I learned the address they live at from message boards trying to keep it secret which is ironic) or tweeting them invasive shit about coming out (when they hadn't) or about wanting couple pictures or whatever. I think as long as fanwork stays fanwork and the 4th wall is there it's all fine. Although with DnP there is no 4th wall because they're on too many of the same websites as the fans. But again: They said they're fine with it. If they hated fanwork they wouldn't have done the tumblr tag videos or written fanfic for TABINOF.
everybody is asking about a new apartment tour and I just wanna say to those fans “you know they were stalked right? showing the whole of the internet the exact layout of their apartment doesn’t sound too smart”. I’ve never even seen their address but I heard the odd stories about someone stalking them

Moon
Learner
Learner

Post by Moon »

Ghostie_ wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:16 am

I can’t imagine being in a closeted relationship for a decade without someone seeing them...taking a photo of them holding hands and spreading it...which is why I wonder if they broke up.
Well i think it's possible. i'm not a fan of pda myself (and almost never do it) so i do think it's not difficult to not do it when they are not in private
:bunny:

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

Even if you didn’t like pda, I think being in a closeted relationship for that long would tear the people apart. It’s not like they would have been closeted from the public, but Dan’s own family. Maybe if you loved someone enough (and it’s abundantly clear that even if they aren’t dating, they deeply care for each other) you could do it, but it would really take a special type of people.

Nhian
Talker
Talker

Post by Nhian »

Bookworman355 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 am
Even if you didn’t like pda, I think being in a closeted relationship for that long would tear the people apart. It’s not like they would have been closeted from the public, but Dan’s own family. Maybe if you loved someone enough (and it’s abundantly clear that even if they aren’t dating, they deeply care for each other) you could do it, but it would really take a special type of people.
They’ve said in the past that they rarely leave the house unless it’s for a work event - in which case they would have their Dan and Phil personas up. There are very few photos of them out there that aren’t taken by them/at organised events as is - never mind looking couple-y. Not too much of a stretch.

brexitboy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by brexitboy »

what is PDA

Moon
Learner
Learner

Post by Moon »

brexitboy wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 am
what is PDA
Public display of affection
Like holding hands, kissing, cuddling but in public

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

Moon wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:05 am
brexitboy wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 am
what is PDA
Public display of affection
Like hand holding, kissing, hugging etc

Moon
Learner
Learner

Post by Moon »

Also, if we almost never get pictures of them from other source than official/other youtubers in public (there is but it's really rare) it does means that they are rarely seen or photographed in the first place. When people get pictures with them it's when they are travelling like at the airport or train station, it's not difficult to not stop and kiss while there. And gay couple are less likely to do pda than straight couple because of homophobia anyway

YellowLadybird
Informer
Informer

Post by YellowLadybird »

Ghostie_ wrote:
I hope the drama around the V day video didn’t make them break up. That’d be horrible...

Well considering Phil has been out to his friends and family since 2007 and the internet was still speculating because it never got leaked (apart from the video) and all of his closest people kept schtum, it wouldnt surprise me to find out theres many other things we dont know about his or Dan's non YouTube life.

Illogic_ally
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Illogic_ally »

YellowLadybird wrote:
Ghostie_ wrote:

Well considering Phil has been out to his friends and family since 2007 and the internet was still speculating because it never got leaked (apart from the video) and all of his closest people kept schtum, it wouldnt surprise me to find out theres many other things we dont know about his or Dan's non YouTube life.
Exactly, plus it seems weird that Phil would’ve kept it a secret this whole time if it wasn’t to help Dan hide his sexuality. Phil said in his video his friends and family know, so it’s odd that he’d either not have made it known years ago, or just not addressed it at all and kept private.

Personally I don’t think Dan would’ve mentioned that he and Phil had a romantic relationship if they weren’t still in one, because he’s not stupid - he knows that a huge part of the fandom would take that as confirmation. He spent a year+ working on this video, It seems doubtful that he didn’t think through the implications and didn’t intend them to be as much confirmation as he was willing to give.

I have to say, if they have been together this whole time, props to them. Maintaining a long term relationship is tricky at the best of times, let alone when you live and work together, and are hiding that from the public eye at a large scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i've mentioned it throughout the years that it's not that hard for them to hide their relationship with each other.
were they seeing someone else, yeah i think the phandom would've caught on, because they do have a habit of somehow being at the same places as dan and phil and "stalking" them. people literally have happened to have been in the same hotel they've been on vacation. iirc when dan and phil went on holiday to the isle of man a couple years back with phil's family, a phandom member happened to work at a shop there and spotted them. so if they were dating other people, the other people would've been spotted with them, but it's just the 2 of them(that's why whenever they were spotted with their managers and any woman from their team, the phandom would go nuts about it, because they'd start making up rumors about them dating said woman). it really wouldn't be that hard for them to keep pda behind closed doors.
we[lgbt+ people] are sorta used to having to be careful about pda. sure plenty of us are comfortable enough to engage in pda on the streets, at restaurants, and any other places with lots of people, but we're still aware of our surroundings and discern whether it's safe or not to do it. because if we're feeling less comfortable where we are, we'll be keeping our hands to ourselves, no display of affection whatsoever.(not sure if any of you saw on the news the other week that a flight attendant and her gf were on the bus, and there was a bunch of dudes that noticed them, likely from some type of affectious behavior, and start harassing them to make out, when they didn't do it, the dudes beat the crap out of them. lgbt+ people have to be aware of the places it's safe to do pda, and sometimes, even when we think it's safe, it's not).
with dan and phil hardly leaving the house, and when they're on holiday, it was with phil's family or with close friends like bryony and wirrow, who likely knew about their relationship, it wouldn't be that difficult for them to keep pda to a minimum when not behind doors.
would being in a closeted relationship affect them, yes, but hundreds if not thousands of people worldwide are in closeted relationships and keep it a secret for years because they don't think it's safe to come out to family, so i don't think it would've been a reason for a break up. the vday video could've definitely put a lot of stress on it, but i think at that point, they were early on in the relationship and their lives weren't as intertwined, that if they had broken up due to it, they wouldn't be living together or be part of each other's lives, they would've gone their separate ways
The Internet knows all your secrets

LylaJovana
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LylaJovana »

So disappointed that they both seem to be taking advantage of the momentum of their coming out videos to sell shitty merch. I'm not surprised at all but disheartened, yeah. I know it's "good for business" but feels extremely emotionally manipulative.
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

Honestly I've got to wonder how many of you who can't imagine being in a closeted relationship are... well, queer adults who might actually be in a position to be in a closeted or semi-closeted relationship. Even in accepting countries, the numbers of relationships that have both people out and acknowledging their love life to their friends, family, and in their professional lives is probably a lot lower than you might want to think it is. Dan and Phil being out to their friends and Phil's family doesn't sound insurmountable to me or frankly even that unusual.

Post by Guest »

So they both are just going to put one video out and throw merch at us but then disappear?

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

Bookworman355 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:39 am
everybody is asking about a new apartment tour and I just wanna say to those fans “you know they were stalked right? showing the whole of the internet the exact layout of their apartment doesn’t sound too smart”. I’ve never even seen their address but I heard the odd stories about someone stalking them
Well some fans got a picture with dan by basically waiting outside their flat and pretending to run into him it was really gross. Then people „exposed“ the person spreading the address and didn‘t censor the address properly so I was able to guess it with a bit of London knowledge.

I don‘t know how these people think DnP will believe they‘re running into them by pure chance right outside their door. Though maybe it was just that once? Or those people who still stalk them don‘t post the pics because they‘re afraid of backlash.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”