there is definitely a typo in this post

shuhua
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 62:DanIsNotAYoutuber and AmazingHiatus

Post by shuhua »

does this count as a "it hits different" moment? or irrelevant?
Image <3

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

shuhua wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:11 am

"Two of the worst people I know - actually, the worst person I know and Phil."

Lolololololololololol. Thanks for posting that. I had no idea about Dan apparently running off all of Phil's friends from that time if the YouTube comments on that video are correct.

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

Hippo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 am
shuhua wrote:

Lolololololololololol. Thanks for posting that. I had no idea about Dan apparently running off all of Phil's friends from that time if the YouTube comments on that video are correct.
Stuff like this kinda remind me of the Charlieskies situation, and how apparently everyone thinks Dan was/is this possessive person that tried to get rid of all of Phil’s friends. What I think really happened was that Dan didn’t like them, and as Phil got closer to him, he began to see his point of view more, but it’s just easier for people to vilify Dan and say he’s the reason none of his old friends like him (although it’s entirely possible, it wouldn’t matter considering where we are now 11 years later).
On the other hand, if you look at anything from the “old” Dan and Phil (pre 2014? Idk really how to define it) following June, it “hits different” (sorry I just hate that saying so much).

hagino
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hagino »

Bookworman355 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:29 am
Hippo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 am
shuhua wrote:

Stuff like this kinda remind me of the Charlieskies situation, and how apparently everyone thinks Dan was/is this possessive person that tried to get rid of all of Phil’s friends. What I think really happened was that Dan didn’t like them, and as Phil got closer to him, he began to see his point of view more, but it’s just easier for people to vilify Dan and say he’s the reason none of his old friends like him (although it’s entirely possible, it wouldn’t matter considering where we are now 11 years later).
On the other hand, if you look at anything from the “old” Dan and Phil (pre 2014? Idk really how to define it) following June, it “hits different” (sorry I just hate that saying so much).

I hate that saying "hits different" too... Got really annoying.

If Phil lets Dan chase away his friends, then it's his fault too. No matter how much I love a person, if they chase off people I really like, then I'd be offended and would argue. And for Phil's friends too: Instead of bitching on social media; how about not letting Dan chase them off but be persistent?
Therefore I doubt Phil's friendship with them was close to begin with.
It's just easier for Phil's friends to blame Dan, which is pretty childish, in my opinion.

I hope I could write clearly what I meant. I really need more practice with the english language...

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i mean it's not unheard of for people that start a new relationship to start neglecting their friends and put the significant other at a higher priority.
and the charlieskies situation is proof of that.
dan and phil used to hang out with charlie. there's even a photo of dan and phil with charlie and his bf stephen. charlie got mad at dan because he felt like dan stole his friend. phil was spending more time with dan and focusing less on his friends. it's very common for that to happen in new relationships, especially if we take dan's issues with his sexuality into circumstance.
it's entirely possible dan didn't like matt, so he didn't want to be around him, and phil being his non confrontational self, sided with dan instead of trying to clear things up between the 3 of them.
yeah, we can attribute the fault to dan, because if he didn't like the person i doubt he'd want to be around them. but phil also played a part in it. but when your friend is in a relationship and starts ignoring you, the default behavior is to blame the new boyfriend for forcing them to cut the ties, instead of realizing the friend also is at fault. phil isn't dan's little puppet. even if he is non confrontational, if he wanted to hang out with matt without dan, he could, he chose not to, so he's also at fault for cutting ties with matt
The Internet knows all your secrets

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

If I recall, Phil was still responding and tweeting to Charlie up until the whole Charlie and friends twitter fight with Dan. After that was when Phil (at least publicly) stopped talking to Charlie.
I don't know about Matt, I haven't actually heard of the guy before tbh but I think that maybe Dan ain't entirely to blame for Phil not hanging with Charlie. That somewhat seems more of an insecure charlie trying to ruin friendships rather than an insecure Dan trying to ruin things but idk, I guess we'll never actually know the whole story

shuhua
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by shuhua »

Lol yea the "it hits different" comments flooding all of their vids/social media definitely got old fast. I'll admit tho it has been interesting seeing all these old videos pop up in my recommended. If Phil chose to not keep up with some of his old friends I definitely feel it was of his own free will to stop pursuing time and effort with those friends even if it was in part a reaction to Dan not being fond of them.

And yea the, "Two of the worst people I know - actually, the worst person I know and Phil." comment was so petty it had me :rofl:
Image <3

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

While it’s interesting to see these old videos with an insight into what was actually happening, it still feels weird to me. I’ve always been someone who found it weird to ship real people together, and now while it appears they’re together (cause, yah you can’t exactly date easily after calling someone your soulmate to millions), it just seems like the same forcing it and “invading privacy” stuff again.
While it does leave you thinking, I really admire how they aren’t saying anything about their relationship. Considering Dan just recently came out, it’s not as if they have had a easy to define relationship after 10 yard. People keep asking about it as if it’s as easy as we’ve been together for blank years or haven’t been together. There is no way they could maintain their privacy and explain the entirety of their relationship like people would like. If there is ever anything “big” I’m sure they would say something else eventually, but for right now I hope at least most of the phantom can deal with that.

Ashbowers
Learner
Learner

Post by Ashbowers »

I k ow this is like the most taboo thing to mention in the phandom but what do you guys think of the vday video now?

hagino
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hagino »

Ashbowers wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:21 pm
I k ow this is like the most taboo thing to mention in the phandom but what do you guys think of the vday video now?
As this is a gossip site, I hope this topic is not taboo here, at least.

I can't say I feel this about the vday NOW, because I always thought it was real. There was no way that video was a joke and I don't think anyone really believed in Dan and Phil's excuse that it was a prank. They are not very good actors (don't want to offend anyone, but that's what I think)

So yeah, I already believed it was real before. And now especially.

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

hagino wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 pm
Ashbowers wrote:

I can't say I feel this about the vday NOW, because I always thought it was real. There was no way that video was a joke and I don't think anyone really believed in Dan and Phil's excuse that it was a prank. They are not very good actors (don't want to offend anyone, but that's what I think)

Them not being good actors was my reasoning for it being real as well. Though I was always more in the “They dated and then broke up which caused Dan to pull away for a bit” camp. I guess I still could be but I would like to believe Dan would have said something if they had broken up. Because he was talking about their early romantic relationship anyway so might as well.

It’s of course very sad to have something like that leak when Phil had the experience with being outed by a friend even though it turned out okay. And with Dan being afraid to be out at all. But it is out there and it is part of fandom history and I admit my curiosity got the best of me when I found out about it (years after I starter watching through a friend who was new to the fandom because it is kept that secret if you’re not digging).

Nhian
Talker
Talker

Post by Nhian »

Smarties wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 pm
hagino wrote:
Ashbowers wrote:

Them not being good actors was my reasoning for it being real as well. Though I was always more in the “They dated and then broke up which caused Dan to pull away for a bit” camp. I guess I still could be but I would like to believe Dan would have said something if they had broken up. Because he was talking about their early romantic relationship anyway so might as well.

It’s of course very sad to have something like that leak when Phil had the experience with being outed by a friend even though it turned out okay. And with Dan being afraid to be out at all. But it is out there and it is part of fandom history and I admit my curiosity got the best of me when I found out about it (years after I starter watching through a friend who was new to the fandom because it is kept that secret if you’re not digging).
Definitely real which makes it even more heartbreaking that it got leaked. Now, knowing the type of bond Dan and Phil have, it’s really sad that it was exposed to the world when they weren’t ready. (That being said it is a really sweet video)

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

Nhian wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:13 pm
Smarties wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 pm
hagino wrote:
Ashbowers wrote:

Definitely real which makes it even more heartbreaking that it got leaked. Now, knowing the type of bond Dan and Phil have, it’s really sad that it was exposed to the world when they weren’t ready. (That being said it is a really sweet video)
Honestly it’s really saddening that it took them coming out for so many people to realize how heartbreaking it was that the video was released. Whilst it wasn’t the phandom’s fault that it leaked, people never seemed to care when they shared it. It’s not the same as us looking at stuff that they previously posted, allowing the world to see even if they never knew how big they’d get, this video was to be private. While I’ve had the video, I have never personally watched it, which doesn’t make it any less bad that I was a part of the sharing of the video. I don’t know how people do watch it, it’s such a clear breach of privacy.
Especially considering Dan was in the closet, I can’t imagine how much of a mess that whole situation was.
Being outed to friends and family is already traumatizing, being outed to friends, family, and thousands of strangers is 100x worse.

To be honest, I don’t think any of us truly thought it was a prank, an April’s fools joke in February? While Dan was in a different country? Finding out it was actually real isn’t shocking (most people aren’t at least), and genuinely just really sad.
While they may have broke up (I personally can’t imagine them being in a closeted relationship for a decade), I think Dan’s fear of being outed was what drove them apart, not a break up (considering they’re still friends if they aren’t dating, it wasn’t your usual break up). Alternatively they could have broken up and the insistent questions started to annoy him, but Dan always came of as annoyed with the phandom, never Phil so I kinda doubt it.
Either way, neither of them deserved to have that video be spread the way it was, and it was a shame it was ever unprivated.

hagino
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hagino »

Bookworman355 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:46 am
Honestly it’s really saddening that it took them coming out for so many people to realize how heartbreaking it was that the video was released. Whilst it wasn’t the phandom’s fault that it leaked, people never seemed to care when they shared it. It’s not the same as us looking at stuff that they previously posted, allowing the world to see even if they never knew how big they’d get, this video was to be private. While I’ve had the video, I have never personally watched it, which doesn’t make it any less bad that I was a part of the sharing of the video. I don’t know how people do watch it, it’s such a clear breach of privacy.
Especially considering Dan was in the closet, I can’t imagine how much of a mess that whole situation was.
Being outed to friends and family is already traumatizing, being outed to friends, family, and thousands of strangers is 100x worse.

To be honest, I don’t think any of us truly thought it was a prank, an April’s fools joke in February? While Dan was in a different country? Finding out it was actually real isn’t shocking (most people aren’t at least), and genuinely just really sad.
While they may have broke up (I personally can’t imagine them being in a closeted relationship for a decade), I think Dan’s fear of being outed was what drove them apart, not a break up (considering they’re still friends if they aren’t dating, it wasn’t your usual break up). Alternatively they could have broken up and the insistent questions started to annoy him, but Dan always came of as annoyed with the phandom, never Phil so I kinda doubt it.
Either way, neither of them deserved to have that video be spread the way it was, and it was a shame it was ever unprivated.

I’m not even sure what I should do about that. The video is still out there (It’s easy to put it down; I could just claim it) but it won’t change anything. There will always be copies of it. That’s what Dan implied in his video too, because of his social media accounts. What’s once posted on the internet will always stay there.

Of course, it’s a shame it was ever un-privated, but that’s the dangerous thing about the internet.

We can’t ever stop the people from posting it – it’s just not possible.

Just like @Smarties; My curiosity got the better of me and I watched it as well. Not the first time I watched a video I was not supposed to. We all do things we shouldn’t do, unfortunately.

I’ll dare to be very honest now: I got a bit annoyed at the “Dan and Phil police” right now who tried to “teach” the fandom what to do and what not to do. As in: “Stop writing fanfiction about them – especially explicit content. They don’t want that! Dan said so in his video”
Where did he? He said not to bother their private life – which I fully agree. He didn’t say anything about fanworks.
If anything the fans do, affects the relationship of someone – then they go too far. I don’t see something wrong with fanworks as long as they don’t shove their fanworks into their faces or harass them in general. As some certain other youtubers did (Onision for example……)
I know some celebrities don’t want that. A football player made the websites delete all kind of fanfics about him. An author made the websites delete all of the fanworks about her book characters. But Dan and Phil were not bothered by the fanworks or they could’ve easily made the fans stop.

By the way: About Dan being annoyed at the fans. I do get it somehow. I've read some comments, but especially what they write to him in his live shows. I was like "WTH" the whole time. Is it because their fans are just so young that they post weird shit like that?
I would be annoyed too if I got such weird comments all the time.

Maybe I'm too old (same age as Dan), but I don't like his older videos. He DID mature a lot since the beginning of youtube, in my opinion.
Btw. unrelated, but even though Dan is handsome on the first sight. The more I watched Phil, the more I think he's good-looking as well.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

hagino wrote:

Maybe I'm too old (same age as Dan), but I don't like his older videos. He DID mature a lot since the beginning of youtube, in my opinion.
Idk if that's necessarily an age thing as much as it is a taste thing, I'm also Dan's age and love his 2012-2014 stuff. Also the charity advert video, that's late 2011. And the Uncle Ken video but that was privated ages ago.

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

Ghostie_
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Ghostie_ »

I hope the drama around the V day video didn’t make them break up. That’d be horrible...

I can’t imagine being in a closeted relationship for a decade without someone seeing them...taking a photo of them holding hands and spreading it...which is why I wonder if they broke up.

With Real person fiction...ehhh personally reading it would weird me out but I suppose as long as they’re not sending it to them directly...
Just your friendly neighbourhood bitch

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

The videos I really love of Dan's are his "younger" ones but in general I like the life stories with skits like about the panic button or the Bahamas disaster. I'm also around the same age as Dan.

I got real sick of people who don't even watch DnP policing fanfiction. They literally wrote fanfiction for their own book. And from Dan's it was pretty obvious he knew the common tropes. They said they're fine with it so let people live. The people in the fanfic aren't the real DnP anyway because none of the authors know them personally.

What Dan was getting at was stalking them (I know I learned the address they live at from message boards trying to keep it secret which is ironic) or tweeting them invasive shit about coming out (when they hadn't) or about wanting couple pictures or whatever. I think as long as fanwork stays fanwork and the 4th wall is there it's all fine. Although with DnP there is no 4th wall because they're on too many of the same websites as the fans. But again: They said they're fine with it. If they hated fanwork they wouldn't have done the tumblr tag videos or written fanfic for TABINOF.

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

I’m not even sure what I should do about that. The video is still out there (It’s easy to put it down; I could just claim it) but it won’t change anything. There will always be copies of it. That’s what Dan implied in his video too, because of his social media accounts. What’s once posted on the internet will always stay there.

Of course, it’s a shame it was ever un-privated, but that’s the dangerous thing about the internet.

We can’t ever stop the people from posting it – it’s just not possible.

Just like @Smarties; My curiosity got the better of me and I watched it as well. Not the first time I watched a video I was not supposed to. We all do things we shouldn’t do, unfortunately.

I’ll dare to be very honest now: I got a bit annoyed at the “Dan and Phil police” right now who tried to “teach” the fandom what to do and what not to do. As in: “Stop writing fanfiction about them – especially explicit content. They don’t want that! Dan said so in his video”
Where did he? He said not to bother their private life – which I fully agree. He didn’t say anything about fanworks.
If anything the fans do, affects the relationship of someone – then they go too far. I don’t see something wrong with fanworks as long as they don’t shove their fanworks into their faces or harass them in general. As some certain other youtubers did (Onision for example……)
I know some celebrities don’t want that. A football player made the websites delete all kind of fanfics about him. An author made the websites delete all of the fanworks about her book characters. But Dan and Phil were not bothered by the fanworks or they could’ve easily made the fans stop.

By the way: About Dan being annoyed at the fans. I do get it somehow. I've read some comments, but especially what they write to him in his live shows. I was like "WTH" the whole time. Is it because their fans are just so young that they post weird shit like that?
I would be annoyed too if I got such weird comments all the time.

Btw. unrelated, but even though Dan is handsome on the first sight. The more I watched Phil, the more I think he's good-looking as well.
Totally agree!
Sorry if I came like a Dan and Phil police type (lord knows with the amount of fanfic I read, and how much researching I did on them back in the day, I’m not exactly guilt free from getting in their lives), it was more that I’m seeing people begin to act as if the fact that they came out makes them spreading the video more okay. There will always be copies, nothing is ever gone from the internet, but making more copies and sharing them on a larger scale despite explicitly being told not to just gets to me. Some people treat it like fanfic, which is a fine freedom of expression that they agree with, when in reality it’s actually not even close.

I feel we all could drone on and on about the annoying younger fans, but to completely honest, who wasn’t kinda like that when they were younger? The only difference now is that fans of these internet celebrities have way more connection with them than with traditional celebrities. That being said, the stuff people say to either of them or about them still makes me think “who would write this?!”. Although with the amount of creepy stuff they get towards them, I feel Dan and Phil do a pretty good job at taking it.

also unrelated, Phil certainly looks better post-fringe, watching any post 2015 video where he has the fringe just makes me shake my head.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

I think slight age-related thinning made the fringe just not look as good, that haircut needed lots of volume to shine.

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”