Dan & Phil Part 59: Dan ft Phil

TheStubborn
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 59: Dan ft Phil

Post by TheStubborn »

I think because they are SO PRIVATE we don’t know anything about their life’s (I know people always talk like they know but we don’t actually know anything it’s just theories) especially when you compare them to other youtubrs who share a lot of their life’s so I think that makes people really interested to know more, I have seen posts about what’s inside their fridge and what shampoo and body wash they use :rofl: :roll: .
I don’t blame dan&phil it’s not their fault of course

BluntyMe
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by BluntyMe »

TheStubborn wrote:I think because they are SO PRIVATE we don’t know anything about their life’s (I know people always talk like they know but we don’t actually know anything it’s just theories) especially when you compare them to other youtubrs who share a lot of their life’s so I think that makes people really interested to know more, I have seen posts about what’s inside their fridge and what shampoo and body wash they use :rofl: :roll: .
Ugh!! don't get me started.
I literally just saw a post on tumblr developing the theory that they are in a polyamorous relationship with another person because there were 3 toothbrushes on their bathroom on the video where Dan sprays himself deodorant in his eyes.
I mean they could be but come on peeps. These are youtubers not Blue's clues

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

BluntyMe wrote:
TheStubborn wrote:I think because they are SO PRIVATE we don’t know anything about their life’s (I know people always talk like they know but we don’t actually know anything it’s just theories) especially when you compare them to other youtubrs who share a lot of their life’s so I think that makes people really interested to know more, I have seen posts about what’s inside their fridge and what shampoo and body wash they use :rofl: :roll: .
I literally just saw a post on tumblr developing the theory that they are in a polyamorous relationship with another person because there were 3 toothbrushes on their bathroom on the video where Dan sprays himself deodorant in his eyes.
As interesting as that theory sounds, that's a far stretch.

I feel like Dan and Phil are so private that it makes people become curious, especially when there is evidence that they are keeping something hidden. Then once people know that there's more going on than meets the eye, they wanna find out more and they fall down the rabbit hole.

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged »

BluntyMe wrote:They judge their entire life based on the snipets of it they CHOOSE to show us.
Eh, not completely accurate. They also judge their lives based off of snippets other YouTubers have chosen to show us (possibly without D&P's consent) and well as snippets that likely were not meant to be seen by us.
BluntyMe wrote:The fact thet don't speak up about how incredibly obnoxious is to have people follow you home and knock on your door to ask for a selfie it's something beyond my comprehention. How are they ever going to have a healthy relationship if they know peoole are camping outside their door at all times?
Yeah, I don't fully understand why they don't speak up more about that. They've spoken up about being ambushed at airports before, and I can recall Phil making some kind of post about his family's privacy a while back. Are people actually camping outside their homes at all times? Of course not. They'd have to bring in the authorities if that were the case. Most of the phandom doesn't know where they currently live. AFAIK the ones that do and take the extra step to stalk them don't admit to D&P that they were waiting for them- it's likely more of a "pretending to bump into them" sort of thing. Perhaps, if it became a recurring issue, they'd have no other choice but to make a big deal out of it.

BluntyMe
Talker
Talker

Post by BluntyMe »

manged wrote:Eh, not completely accurate. They also judge their lives based off of snippets other YouTubers have chosen to show us (possibly without D&P's consent) and well as snippets that likely were not meant to be seen by us.
Oh no no, that's not exclusively to D&P, I absolutely agree with you but I was talking about the Phannies, in this case.

cheeringphil
Informer
Informer

Post by cheeringphil »

cmiiw, i remember back in the radioshow day, people used to wait in front of the bbc right? and i remember phil made a statement about not waiting outside the bbc. if he could do it back then, why phil/dan/both of them dont make a statement about the current situation? sometimes i just dont understand these two. i know only statement wont do much, but at least some part of phandom will understand and shame the ones who show up in their house.
su'udzon at its finest

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

cheeringphil wrote:cmiiw, i remember back in the radioshow day, people used to wait in front of the bbc right? and i remember phil made a statement about not waiting outside the bbc. if he could do it back then, why phil/dan/both of them dont make a statement about the current situation? sometimes i just dont understand these two. i know only statement wont do much, but at least some part of phandom will understand and shame the ones who show up in their house.
Exactly. Maybe i could understand if they were the only ones getting hurt, but their fans attack each other and others all the time. You'd think they'd at least say something then, but no.

BluntyMe
Talker
Talker

Post by BluntyMe »

onetruetrash wrote:
cheeringphil wrote:cmiiw, i remember back in the radioshow day, people used to wait in front of the bbc right? and i remember phil made a statement about not waiting outside the bbc. if he could do it back then, why phil/dan/both of them dont make a statement about the current situation? sometimes i just dont understand these two. i know only statement wont do much, but at least some part of phandom will understand and shame the ones who show up in their house.
Exactly. Maybe i could understand if they were the only ones getting hurt, but their fans attack each other and others all the time. You'd think they'd at least say something then, but no.
Well, I get people waiting outside venues and I can even understand when a celebrity goes to your country / city and see people waiting outside their hotel, not because it's normal but because I've seen it.
But to me, stalking their lives and even going to the extent of going where they live, that's just too much.
In the places I've mentioned before it's to be expected, even if you don't do it, you know that there will be people waiting for you as you get out.

They are condoning this behaviour by not addressing it.
They either don't really mind or don't even care. Until they say something about it, people will assume it's all fair game

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

BluntyMe wrote:Well, I get people waiting outside venues and I can even understand when a celebrity goes to your country / city and see people waiting outside their hotel, not because it's normal but because I've seen it.
But to me, stalking their lives and even going to the extent of going where they live, that's just too much.
In the places I've mentioned before it's to be expected, even if you don't do it, you know that there will be people waiting for you as you get out.

They are condoning this behaviour by not addressing it.
They either don't really mind or don't even care. Until they say something about it, people will assume it's all fair game
Yeah, i'm just saying that once the decision to not say anything starts to affect other people, it crosses a line. I know the police have had to get involved at least twice due to the phandom attacking people. It just seems like a dick move to not tell their fans to, like, not send people death threats.

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged »

Also, the phandom is sort of self-policing. For every one person who would legitimately stalk D&P, there are maybe fifty people who will actively condemn it with some kind of post, and hundreds of others who will like or retweet/reblog the calling out in agreement. In a sense, D&P don't even need to say anything because it will be handled for them, and they don't have to look like "the bad guys" (even though most of us would agree that speaking out against a subsection of their fanbase doesn't make them bad guys).
onetruetrash wrote: I know the police have had to get involved at least twice due to the phandom attacking people.
Wait whaaat?

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

manged wrote:Also, the phandom is sort of self-policing. For every one person who would legitimately stalk D&P, there are maybe fifty people who will actively condemn it with some kind of post, and hundreds of others who will like or retweet/reblog the calling out in agreement. In a sense, D&P don't even need to say anything because it will be handled for them, and they don't have to look like "the bad guys" (even though most of us would agree that speaking out against a subsection of their fanbase doesn't make them bad guys).
Yeah but there will also be people who make up bullshit excuses like "we really did accidentally bumped into dan right outside his house!" and people will believe because they're popular in the phandom.
onetruetrash wrote: I know the police have had to get involved at least twice due to the phandom attacking people.
manged wrote: Wait whaaat?
It happened once with charlieskies and recently my friend talked to someone who said that the police had to get involved in their situation, but they didn't go into specifics.

BluntyMe
Talker
Talker

Post by BluntyMe »

OMFG THAT'S MENTAL!!! Once the popo is involved, you know it has gone way too far.
I agree that we, as community, are very vocal but they won't listen to anybody but them and even if they voice their opinion nothing is to be taken for granted as they might not even listen to them either.
This guys can't never win, can they?

mitsubishimacchiato
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by mitsubishimacchiato »

Hey, long time lurker here! First of all, at first I thought this site was only for trashtalking Youtubers. When I opened the Dan&Phil forum, I was surprised that there are actually lots of fans who have constructive criticisms and honest opinions about Dan & Phil (and not only focus on their ship and stuff, bcs I'm not a shipper and I'm sick of reading their youtube comments that mostly say, "OMg, tHey aRe TouCHinG!! pHan iS rEaL!!1!"). I'm happy that I finally have a space to talk about their stuff without having to be extremely obsessed lol
Disney_Wolf wrote:Off topic from the Tumblr discussion but I was reading comments that got me thinking.

There were comments from a few people claiming that Dan and Phil promote this unhealthy obsession saying that it's Dan and Phils fault that their fans (and the commenter in particular) got so obsessed with them that she bought merch and talked about nothing but them etc.
But tbh, I don't think that is Dan and Phil's fault. Or maybe I'm just blind to some master manipulation going on from them (which I don't think there is any of them manipulating audience but there has definitely been a few comments suggesting this).
I was curious to what you guys think? Do you think these commenters have a point that Dan and Phil somehow promote their fans to have an unhealthy obsession on them? Or not?
This thread slowed down a bit so I'm just trying to revive it. Interested in your thoughts though :tu: x
This is a kinda late response lol, because I need to wait for my 2-posts approval to be able to post here.

To be honest, I kinda feel that way. I'm 19 now, and I discovered their channels last year. I love Youtube and I watch lots of creators, but somehow, other creators don't make me feel overly obsessed (?) (this, of course, is very subjective). An impulsive fangirl I was, I bought their book and well... I regret it so much. As an avid reader, I'm so dissapointed of tabinof bcs it doesn't really have much writings in it. It's just a visual version of their videos. No in-depth stories, just things that I could get for free on their youtube channels. (Gosh, still regret it till this day. I spent so much money on their book!)

And one thing that I notice is that they never try to address their fans' (obsessive & unhealthy) behavior in one particular video. They always say that their fans are cool and stuff (which mostly aren't), and they close their eyes to their fans' toxic behaviors. In contrast, what they do is somehow encouraging & embracing this fan culture. They made videos about tumblr tag, their own memes, etc. They often appreciate the phanfictions, and Dan in particular has made lots of videos that kinda supports this kind of fan behavior (videos about shipping, "feels", etc.)

I'm not saying that Dan&Phil are 100% guilty. I'm saying that both fans and creators have their own responsibility to create a healthy relationship. Dan&Phil clearly don't manipulate their fanbase (unlike those PaulersDoucheGang or Sam Pepper), but I think they need to do something more than just make videos about 2020 tumblr tag and memes. (And at the same time, their fans need to be more chill.)

Yesterday I watched PJ video, in which he talked about "what to do when you meet your favorite youtubers"

[video][/video]

It's really good because it addresses issues regarding fan behavior (and how sometimes it makes him nervous and anxious if fans are screaming wildly when meeting him lol). At the end of the video, he reminds his viewers that after all, he's just a human. It's okay to feel nervous and excited when meeting your idol, but then again, he's just a human (that happens to be very creative and make a youtube channel). I think Dan&Phil should make this kind of video at some point.

(Sorry if the english is not good & my writing's too long :roll: )

BluntyMe
Talker
Talker

Post by BluntyMe »

Welcome mitsubishin
I mean I agree! I am an avid fangirl if you go to my twitter it's all about Adore Delano, who I had the pleasure of meeting last October.
The problem, lays imo on the fact that people tend to forget they are humans, very famous humans but still regular people.
Who on earth would like to be stopped on the street with someone screaming in your face? It's INSANE but then again, that seem to be their reality.
I firmly believe they could wind down some Phannie's behaviour if they would just address the matter.
Granted it won't stop and shippers will be shippers till proven otherwise but they might take a step back.
If I to be on their shoes, I wouldn't like to see the comment section of my videos being all about a ship, who I'm woo hooing with.
I think that the only video where that wasn't the case was the one Dan posted about suffering from clinical depression.
If I was him that would be my north to be taken content wise with the occacional emo angsty jazz he's been doing for nearly a decade.
I really have an issue, despite the fact that I still love their content, with feeling that they are both somehow stucked in 2011.
They are not growing with their community, their community more often than not has outgrown them.
I'm in my 30s, I started watching them in my mid 20s and sometimes its so damn hard to relate to them on their main channel content. Lately I only been able to fully enjoy their livestream where I find them to be remotely genuine

whatever this is
Learner
Learner

Post by whatever this is »

I can think of two reasons as to why they don't speak out, one being is that maybe they think it'd be pointless. they tried to control the Phandom, but ultimately Phannies still do what they want and keep being awful
they say "don't stalk us at airports", they stalk them to find their home address and stalk their family members. AND stalk them at airports.
[tweet][/tweet]
That's the post Phil made about people waiting for them outside the BBC building, btw

One time Dan asked the Phandom not to spam comment sections with don't cry, craft\PROTIP\soft and neat because that just makes everyone hate Dan and Phil, but of course nobody listened, and if my memory isn't tricking me, Dan once said something along the lines of "How silly of me was it to think I could control my fanbase". Don't remember where I got that from, but I think he did say something like that. In all honesty IMO they didn't try enough. But idk if a main channel video would make it all better or worse.
Dan made that customer service blog for that reason, but it only backfired and he just ended up deleting it, which is a shame because it's not like he's not allowed to speak up, but at the same time seems like the Phandom doesn't want to know how he and Phil feel if it doesn't fit their narrative. So I think dnp might be scared and at the same time they don't want to scare the Phannies off because, even though they're the ones who do the most creepy and disrespectful things, Dan and Phil still depend on them financially. They're too nice and in all honesty can be very spineless, which is, once again, a shame. It's also true that Dan in particular has been sort of encouraging the whole excessive shipping culture, at least he used to, it's like he was targeting his content at Tumblr\fangirls. That's how his channel blew up in 2012-2013.
Btw, just found this post from one of their very good friends, Bryony, who also used to be a youtuber. I think it's interesting because she knows both of them really well and they most likely talk about that kind of stuff with her.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

like i said before, if dan and phil addressed the phandom with the issues, a lot of them would stop, and only the fanatics would keep doing it. and at that point it would be out of dan's and phil's hands.
iirc after they asked people to not show up at the bbc, a lot of people were outraged and plenty still went there. dan and phil would actually sometimes use other exists in order to avoid the phandom. we know this as a fact because the phandom would be waiting for them before they even arrived, take photos of them as they arrived, and wait until they left. so if they weren't seen leaving, that meant they used a different exist to avoid the phandom. and iirc there was one time a parent, i think a dad, was pissed dan and phil didn't come outside the bbc to meet their kid and the other fans who were there for them, despite the fact they weren't even allowed to be outside the bbc waiting for them.

on an unrelated and more moderated note. the thread is about to reach page 40, which means it'll be locked and a new part will be started. so if you have any title ideas for part 60 speak now or forever hold your peace, because if no one comes up with anything i'm gonna give it the same name as this one
The Internet knows all your secrets

BluntyMe
Talker
Talker

Post by BluntyMe »

I used to follow Charlie back in 2011 and I came across this video not so long ago.
I wouldn't like this to happen to D+P
[youtube][/youtube]
I bet this is the exact reason why they haven't changed or evolved yet

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

whatever this is wrote:I can think of two reasons as to why they don't speak out, one being is that maybe they think it'd be pointless. they tried to control the Phandom, but ultimately Phannies still do what they want and keep being awful
they say "don't stalk us at airports", they stalk them to find their home address and stalk their family members. AND stalk them at airports.
[tweet][/tweet]
That's the post Phil made about people waiting for them outside the BBC building, btw

One time Dan asked the Phandom not to spam comment sections with don't cry, craft\PROTIP\soft and neat because that just makes everyone hate Dan and Phil, but of course nobody listened, and if my memory isn't tricking me, Dan once said something along the lines of "How silly of me was it to think I could control my fanbase". Don't remember where I got that from, but I think he did say something like that. In all honesty IMO they didn't try enough. But idk if a main channel video would make it all better or worse.
Dan made that customer service blog for that reason, but it only backfired and he just ended up deleting it, which is a shame because it's not like he's not allowed to speak up, but at the same time seems like the Phandom doesn't want to know how he and Phil feel if it doesn't fit their narrative. So I think dnp might be scared and at the same time they don't want to scare the Phannies off because, even though they're the ones who do the most creepy and disrespectful things, Dan and Phil still depend on them financially. They're too nice and in all honesty can be very spineless, which is, once again, a shame. It's also true that Dan in particular has been sort of encouraging the whole excessive shipping culture, at least he used to, it's like he was targeting his content at Tumblr\fangirls. That's how his channel blew up in 2012-2013.
Btw, just found this post from one of their very good friends, Bryony, who also used to be a youtuber. I think it's interesting because she knows both of them really well and they most likely talk about that kind of stuff with her.
I mean, for some things, them speaking out would most likely help like the attacking people thing.

And to be fair about the customer service blog, any time Dan was challenged like with the vday video, he'd basically just go off on the asker and call them stupid and it wouldn't solve anything. People would also get attacked because Dan got mad at them which led to a mob of fans getting mad them. It's not really the phandom silencing anything that doesn't want to hear anything other than their narrative, but rather the blog was a good idea that was badly executed.

Post by Guest »

whatever this is wrote:I can think of two reasons as to why they don't speak out, one being is that maybe they think it'd be pointless. they tried to control the Phandom, but ultimately Phannies still do what they want and keep being awful
[tweet][/tweet]

Wow, really interesting to read Bryony's thoughts. Thanks for sharing this!

Post by Guest »

onetruetrash wrote:
BluntyMe wrote:
As interesting as that theory sounds, that's a far stretch.

I feel like Dan and Phil are so private that it makes people become curious, especially when there is evidence that they are keeping something hidden. Then once people know that there's more going on than meets the eye, they wanna find out more and they fall down the rabbit hole.
I saw this theory too, but it was pretty quickly shot down if I remember correctly. The third toothbrush was a reflection. :D

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”