Dan & Phil Part 58: Momisnotonfire & AmazingDaddy

paper-roses
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 58: Momisnotonfire & AmazingDaddy

Post by paper-roses »

I think Dan and Phil tend to do better when they play visual novel type games. I enjoyed their Undertale and Horse Prince videos a lot and I'm liking the Dream Daddy videos for the same reasons. Watching them progress through and react to a storyline is more entertaining, the videos are usually longer so there's more content, and they actually discuss things rather than just screaming and arguing with each other for ten minutes. On their part, those videos should be easier to make too, they're so low effort; just reading and clicking. I wish they'd do more, I feel like watching them play a game like Hatoful Boyfriend would be hilarious.

aiwankusayu
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by aiwankusayu »

archived wrote:
ColourlessGreenIdeas wrote:They uploaded a new gaming video, but there isn't really that much to say about it tbh
I watched about half of it and then had to do something so I'll probably finish it tomorrow if I can be bothered. I don't know why but I'm not enjoying their gaming videos at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love gaming videos in general but just something about their current content isn't as exciting. I think I either have to really like the game, the game has to be a horror game so I'm interested because I'm always in a state of fear or the commentary has to be very entertaining. The games they are playing at the moment aren't my personal cup of tea nor are they horror so me liking them really relies on the commentary and the problem is it is just so generic? Predictable? Like I could be watching any two random friends playing the games, there isn't really anything special about it. Of course, this is all my personal opinion.
True. It's probably also because of the fact that they kept playing the same type of games, so their reactions were just as repetitive. Some people also said that DnP are more "genuine" this year *IDB flashbacks*, but I beg to differ. They're more fake than ever, as if they're robots playing a game since their reactions are just according to their personas that they have built. No wonder people are falling out of them.

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by larrie »

speaking of the gaming channel, am i the only one who is really over the sims? like they've made almost 50 videos about this damn sim. enough.

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

larrie wrote:speaking of the gaming channel, am i the only one who is really over the sims? like they've made almost 50 videos about this damn sim. enough.
Yeah, there's only so much you can do with one sims family. They're probably just going to drag it out for as long as possible though, because they know that it gets them views...

Just make a new sims family already. Or play a different game (which would be preferable).

cloudcastles
Learner
Learner

Post by cloudcastles »

I can't handle any of their gaming channel stuff anymore honestly it's just so repetitive and the banter is just dan screaming and saying 'same' to everything. And yes, definitely tired of the Sims.

archived
Informer
Informer

Post by archived »

I love the Sims... but I don't love their Sims series - it just moves too slowly for me. The serires doesn't excite me, even with abductions and an alien abby it still seems kind of dull.
yeehaw partner

JuiceBox
Talker
Talker

Post by JuiceBox »

Didn't they start the Sims shortly after it came out? Like October 2014 IIRC.

I don't know how many of you watch channels solely dedicated to The Sims, but those creators have to stay on top of every new expansion, stuff, and game pack that comes out, complete every new challenge created by the community, and usually juggle two or three story-based series at once just to keep Sim fans happy.

The fact that Dan and Phil have kept up a series for three years with the same Sim on the same lot just goes to show how disturbingly crazed the Phandom is for not only D&P but also a pixel merge of them that should've naturally died in early 2016.

Long rant to basically say they're lazy and it's offending me for no reason.

autumnmorning
Learner
Learner

Post by autumnmorning »

JuiceBox wrote: The fact that Dan and Phil have kept up a series for three years with the same Sim on the same lot just goes to show how disturbingly crazed the Phandom is for not only D&P but also a pixel merge of them that should've naturally died in early 2016.
If I'd get a dollar for every time I see a comment by 'Dil Howlter' on Youtube...
There are so long breaks between Sims videos that most viewers don't even realise they are essentially repeating themselves after a few episodes, e.g. through house makeovers and running gags (strange clothing, speech bubbles...).
I don't specially mind the Sims videos, even though they are clearly centered on D&Ps commenting and not on the game itself. That's probably why I can't watch more than two in a row, their personas are just too much after a while.

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

autumnmorning wrote:That's probably why I can't watch more than two in a row, their personas are just too much after a while.
They really have just become exaggerated versions of themselves by this point, haven't they? :roll:

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by larrie »

i liked his last video because i've been curious about his ancestry for a while. i was kind of surprised, for some reason i expected him to have more non-european ancestry. now i want to do one of those tests but i'm broke :(

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

larrie wrote:i liked his last video because i've been curious about his ancestry for a while. i was kind of surprised, for some reason i expected him to have more non-european ancestry. now i want to do one of those tests but i'm broke :(
i remember when dan first told people his grandma is adopted and everyone started trying to act like he was poc, and started making up shit about him being part native american, or part asian because of his physical traits. and i was just looking at him thinking "he looks like a very pale southern european"
The Internet knows all your secrets

archived
Informer
Informer

Post by archived »

illegal_mind wrote:
larrie wrote:i liked his last video because i've been curious about his ancestry for a while. i was kind of surprised, for some reason i expected him to have more non-european ancestry. now i want to do one of those tests but i'm broke :(
i remember when dan first told people his grandma is adopted and everyone started trying to act like he was poc, and started making up shit about him being part native american, or part asian because of his physical traits. and i was just looking at him thinking "he looks like a very pale southern european"
Same, I'd love to know! ALthough mine would probably be pretty white seemings as my mum has found our family tree back like 300-400 years and they are all very white.

Even if his grandma was partly poc Dan would be so watered down it hardly counts as poc.

Despite loving the video, it isn't really 'once a month' quality if I am 100% honest. I know his upload schedule is brought up a lot on this thread but the basic idea for the video wasn't even really his and so it was (in basic terms) 'Dan reacts to his DNA test results'. I don't know, I liked the video but every time a new video comes I still feel a twinge of disappointment because I'm not honestly sure whether it was really worth the wait.
yeehaw partner

JuiceBox
Talker
Talker

Post by JuiceBox »

I'm so tired of the tumblr-catered political agenda. He's gotta pander to his audience I guess.

What's up with his hair though?

onmywayhome
Learner
Learner

Post by onmywayhome »

dunno why those dna videos bring to my mind buzzfeed-type of content, in his case - nothing new/special/original for ordinary subscribers, a ton of info for the crazy fans
i watched it while ironing lol, but to me it was boring... nice little message there tho that racism is bullshit, but nothing special aside that
queen of typos

I'm not a native English speaker, so I make a lot of mistakes, but I hope you will forgive me <3

aaa123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by aaa123 »

illegal_mind wrote:
yes omg I'm glad other people thought the same. I haven't been able to see the video yet so ignore me if this is completely wrong, but that whole belief people had that he was poc was ridiculous. I'm 100% portuguese and to me he always just looked like the whitest portuguese/spanish/italian person imaginable. I never understood why people were so adamant that he wasn't white, it always seemed strange to me.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

aaa123 wrote:
illegal_mind wrote:i remember when dan first told people his grandma is adopted and everyone started trying to act like he was poc, and started making up shit about him being part native american, or part asian because of his physical traits. and i was just looking at him thinking "he looks like a very pale southern european"
yes omg I'm glad other people thought the same. I haven't been able to see the video yet so ignore me if this is completely wrong, but that whole belief people had that he was poc was ridiculous. I'm 100% portuguese and to me he always just looked like the whitest portuguese/spanish/italian person imaginable. I never understood why people were so adamant that he wasn't white, it always seemed strange to me.
i watched the video out of curiosity. he's 99.99% white. it says in the 1800s his scandinavian ancestors moved to africa. i assume there had to be some procreation between one of his ancestors with a black person in order for the test to point that out.
i think he also pushed it a bit. when he first talked about his grandma being adopted, he made it seem like she was from somewhere that made her look not white. and with his obsession with east asian culture, especially south korea at that time, people started making it up that his grandma was probably non-white. and to some people that still stands. because a few times i've seen people discuss dan's racial heritage, i've seen northern europeans say southern europeans aren't white whenever it was pointed out his grandma could be greek or italian or any other southern european

JuiceBox
Talker
Talker

Post by JuiceBox »

I'm really lost..why are they so obsessed with Dan have a diverse background? As much as even I don't want to admit it, he's just an average English guy. It's really not all that shocking.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

JuiceBox wrote:I'm really lost..why are they so obsessed with Dan have a diverse background? As much as even I don't want to admit it, he's just an average English guy. It's really not all that shocking.
fetishization of "exotic" cultures, especially east asians, most specifically japanese and korean. dan has always been a weeabo, and he used to be pretty obsessed with south korea as well(to the point of spending thousands of £ ordering clothes from online korean shops). plenty of the phandom is into japanese pop culture, mostly anime, and quite a lot of the phandom started getting obsessed with kpop back in the day(to the point when many left the phandom, the ones that didn't have their social media suddenly be about 1d, became about kpop artists).
and maybe also to make themselves feel better because now they wouldn't be only watching white youtubers, they'd also be watching that one brit dude that is like 1/4 poc

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

aaa123 wrote:
illegal_mind wrote:
Wait, were people seriously trying to say that Dan was poc? Dan is literally as white as they come...

I thought today's video was ok, but I've seen so many other videos like this one already, so it just didn't feel very original? I could imagine the creepier side of the phandom going crazy over it though.
JuiceBox wrote:What's up with his hair though?
It's really short and really curly, and the sides appear to be shaved/significantly shorter than the front, so I guess it looks like it's just sitting on his head like a hat because of the style?
Last edited by ColourlessGreenIdeas on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

ColourlessGreenIdeas wrote:Wait, were people seriously trying to say that Dan was poc? Dan is literally as white as they come...
yes, they were. maybe not as much nowadays. but back in like 2012-13, when dan would talk about the fact that his grandma is adopted, he'd also heavily imply she didn't look white, and people started making guesses of her ethnicity, and i think east asian was the most assumed one.
i think the native american one came from him hanging out with kalel and people seeing some similarities with them, and she's claimed to be part native american, so people added that one in.
if he hasn't mentioned his grandma being adopted in a while, most people probably just assume correctly that he's white, but the ones that have been around for long enough to hear him talk about his not white looking grandma, might think he's not fully white

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”