akui
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 51: Butt Up, Eyes Closed

Post by akui »

Wow so many good answers! :tu: :tu: :tu:

For me, I would love to see both of them have a scheduled show, whether on tv or youtube. Because the youtube red thingy, really makes me feel google are taking a netflix/hulu road, so consider that, it's not entirely impossible to have a good quality show on youtube red. I also see them work separately, except for the radio. (Yeah, if they spend less time together the radio rating will definitely go up, and bbc will like that.)

Phil is very versatile, he fits so many shows (radio or tv), food, travel, kids, quiz, talking to ppl in general idk. He can be oprah if he wants.
I don't know. Dan is more like "in studio" type kindda host, so maybe talk show, if he want he defiantly can take a more serious news, social political type route, like John Oliver/Jon Stewart perhaps, I would also like to see him try stand up, I think he's already doing stand up-ish in his liveshow, like Simon Amstell, as deerly mentioned.

I'm not sure they've reached their popularity peak yet, but I'm sure they are not reaching their full potential. I have high hopes for them.

So in five years, I see them struggle a bit after the world tour ends, and starting to find their directions, and starting to work separately. Also I'm phan as fuck so they moved out to a nicer apartment and get a dog.

In ten years, hopefully everything worked out, they are successful and happy, so they can adopted a baby and started a family. I can see Phil be a stay home dad while Dan out their earning big bucks. Also koi pond house.

This is my vision, sorta. Also I'm considering the possibility of them starting a company like fine bros or smosh since they already registered a production company, but neither of seem to be entrepreneur so... maybe not.

Also, sorry for my english.

daichii
Informer
Informer

Post by daichii »

Wow so many books sold! I truly wonder if they're writing another one. I mean idk what on earth it could be about but considering tabinof's success it would be quite dumb of them not to try with another one.

I think they (esp Dan) would like to do more shows. Honestly Dan was the happiest when they were touring and after the world tour ends (depending on how successful it is) they might come up with a second book and tour idea. lbr it has been their most successful proyect so far.

As for their channels future, idk dinof is a mess right now and I can't imagine what type of vids he'll come up with. He's had like 3 or 4 original vids this year and the rest have been isg and phan collabs/book promo stuff. So for me, dinof and the direction Dan will take with his content or whatever he wants to do with his career will be defined within the next 1-2 years. I can def see him as a tv host if dinof dies, even if it's not with Phil.

As for Phil, his channel's content has been quite good during 2014/2015 (esp 2014 with notable mentions such as the 7sc and the brain tour) and he is slowly re-branding after letting go of dpn. The downside here is that his most viewed vids are collabs with Dan, so if Dan stops doing yt he might do so as well.

In two months will be the 10 year celebration for AP and ngl I'm so excited for that. I don't see the AP persona lasting that long tho, but I think he will slowly move on from it and it will be such a gradual change that we'll look back on it the same we do now with his pre-Dan vids. Also Phil would be perfect for voice acting and more radio stuff. I mean his voice is pure perfection

Now for dapg, that thing will die quickly if they don't put more effort into it. I don't see how anyone can keep an interest if they don't do more series.

Now for their personal lives, if they keep living together with no mentions of any relationship 5-6 years from now it will be obvs phan is real. Phil would be 35 and Dan 30 with no known gf, I mean come on. Who knows if we'll stick around that long tho.

And if phan isn't real then they probs will live with someone else 5-6 years from now and might let us know. Idek, I don't care that much for their personal lives future tbh. I care more abt the stuff we'll get to see.
:love2: Image :love2:

hyliandeity
Informer
Informer

Post by hyliandeity »

Fairly off topic but I recently got one of Dan and Phil's wrist bands as a Christmas present (not that I asked for it) and the fact it's numbered makes me interested to speculate just how much money they make from the smaller things like this. My number is 22,681, but the amount sold since this one was purchased will have definitely increased... so i'll just round upwards and work from 23,000.

The bands are £2.99 each, so adds up to £68,770. That's not including the price of postage, or the deduction from the actual manufacture of the object (i'm guessing they must cost around 10-50 pence to create, tbh they have jacked up the price quite a lot for one wristband). I'm not too sure what dnp would get from this as well, considering that they'll only be getting a fraction of the sales-money. But it's interesting! That's a lot of profit just for selling a piece of plastic and I can only imagine how much they get overall from the danandphilshop.

joliefolie
Learner
Learner

Post by joliefolie »

Personally, I would love D&P to produce, script, direct and act in their own YT show. On a joint channel of some kind, or perhaps one show on each. Phil would script, Dan would direct, and both would act or voice act.

It could be an animated show (like Marzia is doing with her pugs), it could be a sitcom, it could be an extension of TATINOF... I feel like a large scale, more professional grade project like this, semi-fictional at the very least, would allow them to grow creatively / remain enthused about their work while maintaining creative control & their closeness to their audience. It would also reduce Dan's existential fear of succumbing to Gleamer syndrome by establishing them once and for all as creative content producers who vlog (as opposed to vloggers who... vlog).

I would like them to stay with YouTube. I feel like they act the most comfortable and feel closest to their YT audience, with no external producer hovering over them for censorship or 2nd guessing - and I sincerely (still) believe it's an important independent content platform, open to being redefined by different paths to success.

As a viewer I would prefer that D&P call the shots creatively and hire a crew to help them, rather than be hired by the BBC to work on BBC projects. The main problem is that they would need to work prolifically enough to produce these new projects AND keep producing classic vloggy content simultaneously, which based on their past performance is unlikely to happen consistently.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

karma_yeah
Talker
Talker

Post by karma_yeah »

Akui Thanks for the great question. I've really enjoyed reading people's thoughts, and I think all the positive ideas speak to their versatility. They seem to be able to do a wide range of media: audio, video, stage, and print media. I'm not good at predicting the future, so I just think whatever it is will be comedic, creative, and funny. I'd like to see them as cartoon characters at least for a little while. (I've seen some amazing cartoon style fan art, and their voices are great!)

I'm a total phan, so on the personal side, my phan googles see them living together in a house with at least 2.5 kids and a dog (and the requisite garden with koi pond :) ) -- although I don't think they'd ever do a formal coming out video like other you tubers have, since I don't think they are "gay" (bi, pan maybe?) and I don't think they are comfortable discussing their sexuality in general.

I wonder if they'll even get married. In an early sims one of them said something about marriage just being a piece of paper -- (maybe someone with a better memory can be more accurate) and have they ever talked about weddings? I don't really see either of them as a stay-at-home parent, (they both like performing so much) but lots of celebrities are able to balance work and family.

So if they don't "come out" or have a formal wedding, would they ever address their relationship, or just go on about their lives? For me, if they move to a new place together (i.e. to a house or bigger place), then they are together. There's no financial need for a roommate anymore. I suppose they could say they just prefer not living alone, but if they reach their 30's and there's still no other man/woman in either of their lives, I think that's the only conclusion.

And wtfamidloinghere - thanks so much for your thoughtful answer, it's an interesting insight from someone who learned English as a second language. (Your English is great btw - typical American, I speak no second language, just remnants of high school French!). When D&P do accents, they joke and apologize for insulting whatever country it is, but I think Phil does the better American accent. It may just be a skill, being able to hear something accurately and then reproduce it.
What goes around, comes around.

violet-writer
Learner
Learner

Post by violet-writer »

hyliandeity wrote:Fairly off topic but I recently got one of Dan and Phil's wrist bands as a Christmas present (not that I asked for it) and the fact it's numbered makes me interested to speculate just how much money they make from the smaller things like this. My number is 22,681, but the amount sold since this one was purchased will have definitely increased... so i'll just round upwards and work from 23,000.

The bands are £2.99 each, so adds up to £68,770. That's not including the price of postage, or the deduction from the actual manufacture of the object (i'm guessing they must cost around 10-50 pence to create, tbh they have jacked up the price quite a lot for one wristband). I'm not too sure what dnp would get from this as well, considering that they'll only be getting a fraction of the sales-money. But it's interesting! That's a lot of profit just for selling a piece of plastic and I can only imagine how much they get overall from the danandphilshop.
jesus christ that is a lot of green. i love discussions like this bc im a nosey fuck.

in 5-10 years, they could take so so so many different routes. i think they could sustain popularity, because of the phandom if that makes sense. being a fan of something is way more than it used to be, which they (and bands like 1d) are lucky for. now its appreciation of a thing within a community, and that community is what keeps some fans in the phandom.

did that make sense? what im trying to say is, they could still be doing youtube, or working under their personas and have fans. i hope this isnt the direction they go in, i hope they move on from yt before their views dwindle and they do challenges every week... but who knows.

i doubt they'll write another book, though. dan mentioned repeatedly that they wouldn't. but dan did seem happiest on stage, and he once said that he measures his happiness with how much creative output hes put into the world, so i hope he continues in a path of writing or acting or whatever it is that makes him happy and that he can succeed in.

phil i can see being a writer for childrens show/movies, bc he can find humour in silly things- its a trait i find quite nice about him.

on their living situation, i mean... can you imagine dan living without phil? like honestly. imagine all the depressing tweets LMAO. so no i think they'll be living together, but who knows about the joint branding. maybe it'll become stronger and they'll be a duo in presenting or something. the possibilities are endless with where they are now in life. its all so exciting :love2: and im happy ive gotten to see them grow into more professional people who have grown from their careers
The story so far:

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

blueapple_x
Informer
Informer

Post by blueapple_x »

violet-writer wrote: i doubt they'll write another book, though. dan mentioned repeatedly that they wouldn't.
When was this?

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

violet-writer wrote:i doubt they'll write another book, though. dan mentioned repeatedly that they wouldn't.
when the first wave of youtuber books emerged, dan was always asked on younow if he'd ever write one, and he'd always say no. and yet, here we are now with them preparing to take their book on a world tour
The Internet knows all your secrets

zvezdochka
Talker
Talker

Post by zvezdochka »

*patiently waits for alittledizzy to contribute to this collective fluff*
Last edited by zvezdochka on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kathrynxjane
Debater
Debater

Post by kathrynxjane »

[tweet][/tweet]

Just a side note from the amazing discussion going on.
Dan isn't back in London yet. I'm guessing he is going home tomorrow as it is a bank holiday anyway.

(still trying to work out what I think will happen in 5 and 10 years but it is taking a while to group together all my feelings)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
“I wish humans were less socially awkward and we could pokemon battle without it being weird” :tu:

blueapple_x
Informer
Informer

Post by blueapple_x »

illegal_mind wrote:
violet-writer wrote:i doubt they'll write another book, though. dan mentioned repeatedly that they wouldn't.
when the first wave of youtuber books emerged, dan was always asked on younow if he'd ever write one, and he'd always say no. and yet, here we are now with them preparing to take their book on a world tour
I remember him saying something like "what would I even write about?" when asked on younow if he'd write a book. I suspect this was before they were given the opportunity to write tabinof but I can't remember when exactly he said it, or if he even said it more than once (because this is the only instance I remember where he mentioned it around the time youtuber books were becoming popular). Anyone remember more instances at the top of their heads?

But anyway, when did he ever say they wouldn't write another book? As in, a second book? And "repeatedly", no less?

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

zvezdochka wrote:*patiently waits for alittledizzy to contribute to this collective fluff*
I'll contribute half fluff, half realism. :D

Professionally: My guess would be that in five years their youtube careers will definitely have hit a peak and declined and it's really a crapshoot on if BBC or some other network wants to try and cash in on fading relevance, or if they swallow enough pride to accept whatever means of milking a fanbase they are offered.

There is a slim chance (moreso for Dan than Phil, just judging on current projects) that they get into a nice career presenting or hosting. Dan's smoother he's got a ways to go before he comes off as a completely professional presenter. I think to be good presenters they're going to need to widen their appeal outside of the mainly teenage demographic they're hitting and I'm unsure as to how a youtuber would even go about that, unless some network/station just took a total chance on them and plopped them into a time slot and left them there long enough that people just got used to them naturally.

I think they'll be successful with something, they will have MANY options, I just don't think any of the options will take them as high as their youtube peak in popularity or financial success. They're probably gonna have to work more for less comfort and money and stability, but I'm okay with that because youtube might be exhausting for them but it's ultimately an easy ride that rewards them tremendously for less time/effort than most other people on this planet have to put in just to make a living. My hope for them is that they've banked enough off this past year (and past few years) to pad the rest of their life out nicely. They're in that weird place where yes they are millionaires but they are probably not millionaires to the point where, unless they drastically scaled back their lifestyle, they would live comfortably off that without working.

Non-professionally: Assuming they're still together then - house/garden/dog/koi pond. Maybe married, maybe not - depends on too many factors for guesswork so I'd basically just be writing fanfic here if I kept going. By ten years out I'd certainly assume they'd be in a family mindset unless one of them just has broken out of the youtube mold and become mainstream famous. I think by 2026 they'll be putting all that misplaced paternalism Dil is privileged into practice on a real kid.

Poison Ivy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Poison Ivy »

I disagree with D & P becoming like Shane Dawson and desperately trying to stay relevant, just because I do believe that they can grow with their audience and expand it, even. They could host, they could present, or work behind the scenes. They aren't really famewhores and I don't find their content lazy most of the time.

I remember reading in TABINOF that Phil was offered internships with movie studios. Maybe he could do something with that.
:love2: "Where there is kindness, there is goodness, and where there is goodness, there is magic" :love2:

karma_yeah
Talker
Talker

Post by karma_yeah »

On the book discussion, if they are together (puts on phan goggles) and are still together in their 30's, they should consider a book and/or movie about their REAL story. For 2 people to find each other the way they did, and so young, and to still be together 10 or 15 years later is the kind of love story I think would sell big. In the U.S. anyway
What goes around, comes around.

danphil333
Debater
Debater

Post by danphil333 »

Here i am.Once again i am gonna be negative. I think that they are not good (bad actually) presenters at all. They are missing something important in my opinion. They are not natural at presenting. Everything they have done with the bbc and the brit awards (presenting, interviews) left me with the biggest second hand embarrassment ever.
They are good at the radio show but not with the format they have now, its too rushed. Phil has a really nice voice for the radio and their old show was way better even if they were less experienced. They work well together but whenever there is a third person between them it becomes a disaster.

The only way i can see Dan on tv presenting is in a completely scripted environment. I dont think he can do tv, stand up comedy or anything that requires him to improvise, to think on his feet and act quickly. He can do anything mainstream that don't require a personality. In my country we call them "plant pots", they are just pretty faces reciting something or just existing. Anyone else with a pretty face can be in their place and no one will notice.(i hope you understand what i am trying to say, i cant explain any better).Maybe he can do directing that he likes so much.

Phil is actually better at that improvise thing but too awkward at scripted stuff. I would like to see him doing some kind of show. Something eccentric, wacky, bizarre, i dont know. It will not be mainstream in any way but interesting. Sadly i dont think i will get to see that any time soon or ever. He is not what mainstream tv wants. I would love to see him do more voice acting, he is really good at it. Or something behind the scenes that would really suit him. Maybe he can write scripts or he can come up with ideas for segments and shows. Something creative. He has a masters degree in Postproduction and Visual Effects, even if his channel doesnt actually show that i think he could be really good in this field of work.
Image Time to Clark Kent it up

Lucet
Debater
Debater

Post by Lucet »

danphil333 wrote:Here i am.Once again i am gonna be negative. I think that they are not good (bad actually) presenters at all. They are missing something important in my opinion. They are not natural at presenting. Everything they have done with the bbc and the brit awards (presenting, interviews) left me with the biggest second hand embarrassment ever.
They are good at the radio show but not with the format they have now, its too rushed. Phil has a really nice voice for the radio and their old show was way better even if they were less experienced. They work well together but whenever there is a third person between them it becomes a disaster.

The only way i can see Dan on tv presenting is in a completely scripted environment. I dont think he can do tv, stand up comedy or anything that requires him to improvise, to think on his feet and act quickly. He can do anything mainstream that don't require a personality. In my country we call them "plant pots", they are just pretty faces reciting something or just existing. Anyone else with a pretty face can be in their place and no one will notice.(i hope you understand what i am trying to say, i cant explain any better).Maybe he can do directing that he likes so much.

Phil is actually better at that improvise thing but too awkward at scripted stuff. I would like to see him doing some kind of show. Something eccentric, wacky, bizarre, i dont know. It will not be mainstream in any way but interesting. Sadly i dont think i will get to see that any time soon or ever. He is not what mainstream tv wants. I would love to see him do more voice acting, he is really good at it. Or something behind the scenes that would really suit him. Maybe he can write scripts or he can come up with ideas for segments and shows. Something creative. He has a masters degree in Postproduction and Visual Effects, even if his channel doesnt actually show that i think he could be really good in this field of work.
I beg to differ. Dan is very good at presenting live, while Phil is not so. He might be good at some weird eccentric tv show, who knows. That's just my opinion. I think that Dan tends to overcompensate when he sees that Phil is feeling uncomfortable in some situations, that's why I think he talks over/and for Phil.
Dan is definitely not only a pretty face. He's very opinionated and stands his ground. He's also a fast thinker, like the situation with an angry dad, Phil stayed out of conflict, while Dan actually asked what the problem is. Of course, he needs experience, not many of the great presenters are born with the ability to do this job. It's a work in progress. A lot of learning will be required.
They both own a YouTube channel, so they're already pretty good at scripted content. Also the tour. I think their dynamics (when they are a duo) are better when their content is scripted. When it's live, Dan talks over Phil, Phil has a number of uncomfortable moments and it's just a straight on mess sometimes.

meiveen
Lurker
Lurker

Post by meiveen »

I don't watch their radio show, I just listen to it, and I have to say it's really easy listening. I enjoy it, am entertained, and would love to see them doing more of it in the future. However. I can't tell how much that relies on me being already a fan of theirs, knowing their inside jokes, etc. Someone said that they made a friend watch the videos and the general consensus was that she didn't really get the inside jokes so that's a thing they're going to have to deal with if they want to expand their audience and keep working together... I could see Dan doing more talk-y stuff, idk about on the spot presenting or interviews in general he likes to be prepared and even the hunger games one was p awkward lbr. Phil could go creative. Think PJ with Oscar's Hotel, something that uses his quirky sense of imagination. (I really hope they continue doing radio.) I hope they don't milk yt, it physically hurts me to see some of these washed up yters trying to stay relevant. They're smart, so I'm hoping for the best.

Personal life, I don't think they'll come out but it'll be pretty obvious to everyone when they continue living together. Ten years, house and dog, maybe a kid since Phil will be what? 38 by then?

fakelights
Debater
Debater

Post by fakelights »

I don't think they are bad presenters, but they for sure aren't that great either. In the last year they have improved quite a lot. They are still awkward as fuck most of the time, but with some more experience I'm sure they can at least be okay(ish) presenters. Said that, I'm still not sure if they are to go on that route. I can see them working more behind the scenes or having their own thing (don't ask me what, i have no idea lol just something different than what we probably expect).

On their personal lives, oh well... Who knows if they will still be friends in 10 years?! jk jk jk But yeah, agreed with others here saying that if they are still living together and no sign of other people in their lives, I'm taking that as confirmation (not that I need any now anyway...)

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

They should stick to radio and voice acting and start exploring the world of writing, directing and producing for others. Phil's business acumen and his creativity will help them to survive the years ahead.

Guys; anymore new thread name suggestions, please post in that thread before I open a new poll :tu:
Credit:amazingfiru

danphil333
Debater
Debater

Post by danphil333 »

Lucet wrote: I think that Dan tends to overcompensate when he sees that Phil is feeling uncomfortable in some situations, that's why I think he talks over/and for Phil.
When it's live, Dan talks over Phil, Phil has a number of uncomfortable moments and it's just a straight on mess sometimes.
its interesting how two people can view the same thing in such a different angle
i always see it as phil being uncomfortable and having uncomfortable moments because (most of the time) rude dan is talking over him.
i agree, they can work and practice but they are definitely not natural or have the talent for it.
meiveen wrote:However. I can't tell how much that relies on me being already a fan of theirs, knowing their inside jokes, etc. Someone said that they made a friend watch the videos and the general consensus was that she didn't really get the inside jokes so that's a thing they're going to have to deal with if they want to expand their audience and keep working together...
sometimes i try to listen to the radio show or watch an interview they did as a complete outsider. like i dont know anything about them. And then it hits me that they are not good at all. even though i enjoy them normally
Image Time to Clark Kent it up

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”