REHASHING

Vivastian
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

REHASHING

Post by Vivastian »

GG is a wonderous, giant, terrifying platform. Posters will come from all walks of life, everyday, just to discuss the private lives of people who post online video. Conversations here can range from well-articulated discussions on YouTube culture and branding to which hand Dan is most likely to masturbate with. People come and go, topics ebb and flow, and newbies are being birthed (signing up) every single day.

Which is great! More new people means new minds, new perspectives, new experiences to self-project. Sometimes they fill a hole for others who just can't dedicate the time anymore.

However, in a thread such as D&P's, with 40+ topics (and counting), it means that there's a serious amount to read through.

It is to no one's surprise, then, that topics can surface that have beaten to death long before said person thought it up in their own mind. It's 2015, and it's hard to have an original thought. This thread is no exception.

Therefore, I have created the "Rehashing" topic, for all the things that no longer belong or are relevant to the main thread. Obviously, no one can tell you what to post (with the exception of mods), but here you can talk about whether they are/aren't, the voldy, or whatever without the older posters having to sift through it. Good for everyone, yeah?

Possible topics include:

-Sexuality discussion
-VDay video
-Sleeping arrangements
-Emma Blackery

If there are no new developments and it doesn't tie into the current convo in any way, then don't post it in the place made for new developments and current convos.

And, by God, if you don't know whether something has been discussed before, ask.
loease wrote:It's easier to not care.

MeAndMyCrew
Lurker
Lurker

Re: REHASHING

Post by MeAndMyCrew »

Honey, it's a GREAT idea that this thread was created as it reinforces the level of dire importance people place on how things run on the Dan & Phil thread. For anyone new joining in it's presented as a fun & lighthearted conversation where anyone can have an opinion on anything - at least that's what's touted anyway; the whole 'all are welcome, say anything' bit - but that really isn't the case.
This must be around the 3rd cycle of 'older posters' fleeing the main thread and getting annoyed because new posters come in with boring, irrelevant, already-settled topics, concerns & opinions; what a nuisance it must be to tolerate this behaviour.

Dan & Phil's main thread is Serious Business & 'we've done all the work for you, go look it up!'

At what point does a new poster join this prestigious club? Supposing that's a thing... Why is there a hierarchy here for 'gossip & speculation?' Why does anyone take offence really when we're supposedly not even that invested anymore?
What's with the bouts of sass & shading going on to the newbies, lol? Why bother to shut them down when most of y'all did the same thing ad nauseum? Who gets to dictate what - Number of posts, date joined, friendship circles, straight/other, pro or anti-phan?
This seems pretty ridiculous altogether, but I do enjoy the amusement of it all.

The threads were dying, but segregation of newer posters is probs the best idea given the tedium of having to like D&P at all, eventually they'll come around to established ways of thinking, etc.
Merci!

mermaid blood
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mermaid blood »

MeAndMyCrew i've noticed you critique the forum quite lot, (some of it really valid, i don't disagree with all of your above points actually), but is there any reason why you don't participate in discussions more?

the problem with a topic being considered for the rehashing category, is that it's probably being rehashed for a reason. it keeps evolving, it's why people watch a youtuber's content, it's why they're drawn in and why they get invested. i like rehashing topics that resonate with me, the self-esteem talk in the thread yesterday was an example. there isn't a separation that can be drawn between new and old, because these aspects of their content still exist and we still pick up on them and continue to watch (for some reason even though content is going through a rough patch, lol).

often forums suffer from a 'complain there are no new decent discussions, stop posting, start whining about newbies' mentality because of the domino affect. no one wants to put in the effort of talking about newer events or content and they blame it on having to dodge around discussion they've already seen. imo, the only way non-organised boards like this one work, is if you pick what interests you and you dive in there. ignore what doesn't. there's no set flow to a discussion board, if you're worried about 'interrupting' a conversation to ask or post something non-related, i feel like the basic concept of the format is probably not suited to your platform style. (twitter is a good example of a more random conversation style, but what the hell can you discuss in 140 characters?). i'm guilty of this, but partially it's cause i'm uninspired when i visit, seeing the same stuff talked about. so i log out. domino effect!

not criticising your choice to open this thread, Viv, i think it's useful for the giant elephants in the room when it comes to D&P, like their relationships and sexuality. when i was new i wanted a quicker way to see what had been discussed on that front too, instead of going through every 40 page thread. not because i wanted to talk about it with other new people who also weren't up to date on every little thing, but because i wanted to ask questions of people who'd been fans for longer. it's actually impossible to know what has already been rehashed if you are new. it only works if others in the main thread are pointing newer people towards it, which could become a problem, not just with exclusivity and cliques, but if no fans who know the answers or have links up their sleeves come into this thread and join the convo. not blaming them, there's only so many times i can have the same conversation about the same thing multiple times in a month. so i'd be one of those people 75% of the time.

idk, there are no easy solutions are there. just rambling out my thoughts.

coach
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by coach »

MeAndMyCrew for someone who seems to be lowkey accusing others of taking the forum too seriously, you seem to be taking the forum too seriously.

Viv I think the idea of having a rehashing thread is a good one, but I can't see it going well in theory. If a person is unlikely to go back to past threads to check out what people had to say about an old topic, they're also unlikely go to this thread instead of the main one.

I think an alternative could be being consistent about directing people toward the FAQ when they make questions that have already been answered or discussed. It'd be more newbie friendly too. Someone (can't remember whom soz) also suggested a group of the regulars get together to read and summarize the topics that were discussing in each thread, to make it easier for newcomers to find old conversations that are relevant to the what they want to discuss.
if i ever manage to write a post without typos on the first try i've probably been replaced by a pod person jsyk

MeAndMyCrew
Lurker
Lurker

Post by MeAndMyCrew »

@ coach Lol, idk, man... I keep it trill one hunnit!

felucca
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by felucca »

To be honest the only subject I'm starting to feel really done with is us discussing ourselves. New and old posters alike complaining about other posters, the tone in the thread, what topics are brought up... Maybe bring up a good topic of your own then? Keep a pleasant tone yourself? Set a good example.

Look I know rehashing can be a pain in the butt, I really do, but entire pages of bitchy complaints about how bad the thread's gotten don't exactly make it better, ya feel me? It just brings the tone down. I know I wouldn't want to join a forum where people get shot down for asking a simple beginner's question, or shaded for participating in a discussion that "no one" cares about. Maybe ignore topics that don't interest you and let the people who are interested discuss in peace - at least they're trying to discuss Dan and Phil (are you)? Also remember we've got a FAQ to which we can redirect people (nicely pls). If there's a question you're sick of answering that isn't there yet maybe consider writing that FAQ post yourself, if you feel up for it. No posts there yet about the Vday video, or sleeping arrangements, or sexuality, or Emma Blackery.

Not meaning to sound harsh because I agree with mermaid blood - it's a difficult question. No one wants to wade through pages and pages of irrelevant discussion and at some point enough is just enough. But at the same time we can't expect everyone to be a Dan and Phil expert (or a D&P Thread expert) so some rehashing is pretty much inevitable, and maybe we need to accept that and learn to deal with it in a more constructive manner. Because I s2g, if I come back one more time to see three new pages filled with nothing but rehashing and complaints about rehashing and people being upset by the complaints and people rolling their eyes at the people being upset... I will bloody ignore it, is what I will do.

Constructive suggestion: be nice to the newbs, ignore the trolls, got a problem with someone write a pm if you think the person can be reasoned with, and foe the people whose stupidity or personality just keeps continuously pushing all the wrong buttons for you because hun that shit won't ever change (foe button can be found in your account settings.) Oh and do participate in the discussions you do find worthy, why not. Thumbs up the good stuff instead of ripping down the bad.

p.s. not saying I've always been very good at this myself, but hey, we're all learning all the time right? ;)
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

slutty_angels
Informer
Informer

Post by slutty_angels »

I think so long as it's to do with dan and phil then it belongs on the thread, if you don't want to contribute to the conversation, don't, if you don't want to read it, scroll past. You're not obliged to reply so I can't see what the problem is.

slutty_angels
Informer
Informer

Post by slutty_angels »

If someone wants to talk about something they want to do just that, not just read random opinions from months back-so let them. You don't own the conversation/space. It's one thing to say -"we've talked about that you can find it here ......I don't want to add anything else." It's another thing to say go talk about that somewhere else cause I don't want to.

Not refering to anyone in particular, just my opinion. Also imo the "are they aren't they" might be pointless but it's interesting and always relevant. I don't care about the sexuality/personality discussion at all, but I just scroll past

daichii
Informer
Informer

Post by daichii »

wow I hadn't read the responses here
sometimes it feels as though this forum caters only to the old posters and what they want to have in the forum tbh and the replies are a huge example of how a new idea can be crushed in less than a day smh
:love2: Image :love2:

felucca
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by felucca »

^ Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't want to contribute in crushing a new idea or anything. I agree with the general problem and wanted to acknowledge that, while trying to find a way for us to maybe solve the issue in the main thread (and between all the numerous side threads we already have). But what do I know, if people do feel the need for a side thread for these kind of things then the need is there - and the thread is right here too and free for all to start using right away, so please do. :tu:
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

slutty_angels
Informer
Informer

Post by slutty_angels »

daichii wrote:wow I hadn't read the responses here
sometimes it feels as though this forum caters only to the old posters and what they want to have in the forum tbh and the replies are a huge example of how a new idea can be crushed in less than a day smh
My point was the "go talk about it somewhere else cause we've already talked about it" seemed to be catering to older users....
And I was expressing my opinion, I wasn't saying "you can't have this thread" that would be ridiculous :)

daichii
Informer
Informer

Post by daichii »

^gotcha!
it's just weird that instead of letting the thread be and filled out by what new people want to discuss it started off by discussing why it should or should not exist, but anyways maybe it will work out or if not there's always pm, tumblr, twitter and other places to discuss old stuff :)
:love2: Image :love2:

slutty_angels
Informer
Informer

Post by slutty_angels »

daichii wrote:^gotcha!
it's just weird that instead of letting the thread be and filled out by what new people want to discuss it started off by discussing why it should or should not exist, but anyways maybe it will work out or if not there's always pm, tumblr, twitter and other places to discuss old stuff :)
Oh if this is what people would prefer to do, that's cool, personally I like talking about the old stuff that other people are bored of so I'd be more than happy if there was a place/people who wanted to discuss it :))

on reflection I might have posted it in the wrong place so I'll shut up now :tu:

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

The best way to overcome this (personal opinion) is if someone with vast knowledge of specific question/info to add it to the FAQs, so it be easy to divert the person there. However if its more of discussing then whatever is still currently relevant may still be in the main thread but those no longer relevant/out-dated/nothing to-do with D&P directly can be in the OT thread.

Unfortunately D&P ambiguous relationship and hairstyle is still relevant/current date :roll: Scrolling down button is my friend ;)
Credit:amazingfiru

MultipleKitty
Stalker
Stalker

Post by MultipleKitty »

Hi, I'm a newbie here and I'm going through every single thread to catch up so I don't inadvertently make myself unlikable. :HK:

eaturpie
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by eaturpie »

Thank you for this thread I feel so overwhelmed lmao

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”