The Off Topic Part 3:Don't Be A Drama Llama

bluecaterpillar
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Off Topic Part 3:Don't Be A Drama Llama

Post by bluecaterpillar »

anybody else seen the controversy surrounding the british lgbt awards? basically, some nominees are not q'ueer or trans, and there's also a 'straight ally' category (in which zoella is one of the nominees). #boycottlgbtawards is trending on twitter rn.

tbh i think it's ridiculous that some people have been nominated when they've done pretty much nothing except not be homophobic. zoe seems to have been nominated bc she's friends with tyler oakley and she wrote a book with a gay character in. how does that deserve an award?? also wtf is with nominating straight celebs like adele and little mix in the best music artist categories?
sarcasm is the highest form of wit

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

bluecaterpillar wrote:anybody else seen the controversy surrounding the british lgbt awards? basically, some nominees are not q'ueer or trans, and there's also a 'straight ally' category (in which zoella is one of the nominees). #boycottlgbtawards is trending on twitter rn.
I think the category "straight-ally" is ok but they need to nominate those who really are allies and made contributions; and the fact that 2/3 of all nominees across are not LGBT that is not right :roll:
[youtube][/youtube]

As there are lots of music lovers here; do any of you enjoy this band?
[youtube][/youtube]
Credit:amazingfiru

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

Any of you guys follow the final American Idol and the latest The Voice US? Any Glambert here saw his good friend Alisan auditioned, beautiful voice.
[youtube][/youtube]

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

phantasia01 wrote:Hi first time poster long time lurker lol, and I kinda need a little help. I really wanna get a tattoo that's related to dan and phil but I don't want a quote or cat whiskers. So do you guys have any ideas that aren't to big? Like a symbol or something that relates to them? Thanks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get manged's Danma avatar, something that people will never know, and when you regret it in a few years you can just pretend it's a relative

sorry, i wouldn't recommend getting a D&P tattoo personally 8-)
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

ImageImageImage

daphenaxa
Informer
Informer

Post by daphenaxa »

I think if you really want to get a tattoo inspired by Dan and Phil, you should get something personal. Like something that makes you think of them, something that represents why you like them so much and feel connected to them to the point of getting a tattoo about them. It's something personal and can be anything really. That way, it will also still be relevant in the futur even if you stop liking/following them that much etc. I think getting a tattoo is a very introspective act.

GrimlyGrindan
Lurker
Lurker

Post by GrimlyGrindan »

daphenaxa wrote:I think if you really want to get a tattoo inspired by Dan and Phil, you should get something personal. Like something that makes you think of them, something that represents why you like them so much and feel connected to them to the point of getting a tattoo about them. It's something personal and can be anything really. That way, it will also still be relevant in the futur even if you stop liking/following them that much etc. I think getting a tattoo is a very introspective act.
I agree! When it comes to getting tattoos based around people, I especially think it's best to focus more on a memory related to them that makes you happy and not explicitly based on the people themselves. You never know what will happen. Best worst case scenario you just stop liking them, but can remember the fond moments. Worst case is some Lostprophets shit and hopefully the tattoo is disconnected enough that you can still remember fond moments, but are able to deny the relation when others ask.

achika
Learner
Learner

Post by achika »

sweetmm wrote: As there are lots of music lovers here; do any of you enjoy this band?
[youtube][/youtube]
AUGH I knew I came in here at the right time, lordy how I love this band. I've had Genghis Khan on repeat pretty much since it came out and the video is so great. I've loved everything they've been releasing from this album so far. Have you heard the newest single? Just came out a couple weeks ago.

[youtube][/youtube]

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

achika they seem to have a distinct sound that somewhat made their songs seems similar. maybe its just me :|

Amazinglyonfire
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Amazinglyonfire »

Well. Dan and Phil are coming to my city, Denver. As I am a credentialed media member I made an "audition" video to see if I could meet them. Here it is in case everyone wants to see.

[youtube][/youtube]

I promise to be here more often btw. Hope everyone is well
"I don't know if they're together ... but they sure as hell are a couple"

"You know what rhymes with concentrate? ..... shut up!" Phil - Sonic 4

majitzu
Informer
Informer

Post by majitzu »

Amazinglyonfire wrote:Well. Dan and Phil are coming to my city, Denver. As I am a credentialed media member I made an "audition" video to see if I could meet them. Here it is in case everyone wants to see.

[youtube][/youtube]

I promise to be here more often btw. Hope everyone is well
Yeah, I watched it when you post it. It would be great if they can do that. I don't have many hopes but there is always a posibility. <3

deerly

Post by deerly »

Bittersweet_A wrote:First of all, deerly, привет из Прибалтики!
Second, I didn't mean that I have only one feel-good song (there are many), but this just was the most recent one. I am a huuuge music nerd, if I may say so about myself. Thanks a lot for reminding me of the first FF album (very nice choice ), I have it at home and loved it so much and was listening to it a lot around 2006/07, especially when I was doing some house work Now I have to blow the dust off it and give it some proper listening once again.

I hope that I am not getting on anyone's nerves posting here about music etc.
Йееей, я так рада, когда люди, чьи посты мне нравятся, оказываются ещё и русскоговорящими : D

Sorry I'm so late, I've completely forgotten that this thread exists. I didn't mean you only have one feelgood song, of course, sorry if it seemed like this, can't express myself very well. My most recent feelgood finding is Neon Indian's album VEGA INTL. Night School, they're amazing.
As a fellow music nerd I very much enjoy your music talk! I'll PM you so we can be music nerds together :tchin:

Sorry I'm talking about music again, feel free to ignore. Do you guys know if Dan or Phil (I doubt it v much because he doesn't share his music at all) ever heard of Patrick Wolf? He's friends with Perfume Genius (and some people and last.fm say that they are quite similar even though I don't see it), Florence Welch and MIA and Tilda Swinton. Also with Patti Smith, but I don't know if that fact would interest Dan or Phil.
His music is very eclectic and his lyrics are clever, sometimes dark and always full of beautiful metaphors. His persona development through the albums remind me of Dan SO MUCH. Song examples: A Boy Like Me -> The Bachelor -> House. He's got songs about being bullied at school, disappointing parents but wanting them to be proud of who he is because he is proud of it, about his struggles with identity, wanting to be independent but also desperately seeking Home and that Home is not a place but a person etc etc. And he's a big furry LOL and refers to his husband in his songs as The Conqueror, aw.
Sorry, I just love the guy and it's such a shame if Dan and Phil don't know about him and miss all the gig opportunities because he's absolutely breathtaking live and I envy them. Srsly, I feel like Phil would enjoy his acoustic folk-y stuff and Dan would enjoy his strange electronic stuff.
Also my friend once said that if Dil was a real person it would be Patrick haha.
There are a few (sorry, a lot) of Patrick's photos under the spoiler, check his fashion choices out. Tbh that's the reason I wasn't very affected by Dan's questionable leathery things and f-d up shirts and even liked some of them. Years of fangirling over Patrick made me accept and love these things.
In conclusion I'll share this because I have a feeling that this song and video is very Phil. [youtube][/youtube]

greatnessflicker
Learner
Learner

Post by greatnessflicker »

I really enjoyed that song! What of his would you recommend next if you are into more into acoustic folk-y stuff rather than electric?

btw have you heard of sufjan stevens? he too is very eclectic and has hauntingly beautiful lyrics and he means so much to me that i want to dan to listen and love him as much as I do. His songs range from struggling with his faith, his complicated family relationships (his mother abandoned him and suffered from hallucinations and bipolar disorder), friendships/loves (sufjan steven's sexuality is pretty ambiguous and the subject of much debate in certain parts), and the importance of place (he has two albums dedicated to two different us states). He's such a good guy and though his songs can be really dark they are also so life-affirming sometimes.

Also, after doing a quick google search of this patrick wolf guy, a few people have compared him and sufjan :)

one of my fav soof songs. its not really emblematic of his style because he's gone from acoustic to very synthetic/rock to now sort of back to folk, but it is a good example of his earlier work.
[youtube][/youtube]

mintsans
Learner
Learner

Post by mintsans »

greatnessflicker wrote:I really enjoyed that song! What of his would you recommend next if you are into more into acoustic folk-y stuff rather than electric?
(butting in the conversation because I love Patrick too!)
perhaps his first two albums will be more of your liking since they are a lot more acoustic-folky than anything after The magic position:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I also think Dan and Phil could have a shared interest in Patrick's music if only they ever got to listen to it.

deerly

Post by deerly »

greatnessflicker, like mintsans said you may love his first two albums. Also there is Sundark and Riverlight that contains acoustic versions of the songs from different albums.
But these are my personal recs under a spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Not acoustic, but it's a folk song and it's Eliza Carthy on the backvocals (what a wonderful voice she has!) I love the juxtaposition of their voices, how she sounds very low and raspy and Patrick sounds gentle and youthful. It's usually the other way around because gender roles and all that crap and they just reversed it. Sorry I can talk about this song for days. Bonus live versions: one there he changed the lyrics a bit to make it more political and wears the most charming outfit ever and the one with Florence Welch
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
I know Sufjan, but I'm yet to give him a proper listen because I don't know where to start. Maybe you can give me album recs?
I really loved the song that you linked (maybe because it's not entirely folk-y, like you said) and I also like The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us and Casimir Pulaski Day. I like his lyrics, the Christian symbolism/references are v interesting even though I'm jewish & atheist haha.
I have a feeling you'll enjoy Keaton Henson and Owen Palett. I have to warn you I can't stand listening to too much Owen in one go because his lyrics are some Xiu Xiu level of fucked up shit sometimes. Very nice music tho.
mintsans wrote:(butting in the conversation because I love Patrick too!)
Aw I'm so glad! You posted Railway House which reminded me of this amazing artwork from
mintsans wrote:I also think Dan and Phil could have a shared interest in Patrick's music if only they ever got to listen to it.
IKR!! I wanna be their acquaintance just to give them music recs from time to time and then f off and never bother them again.

Patrick with MIA because why not Image

teenagers18
Learner
Learner

Post by teenagers18 »

oh wow.

timtam
Informer
Informer

Post by timtam »

I don't wanna clog up the main thread with this but can anyone else see the message about mods and admins being exempt from all rules. That's very odd. Does that mean they are exempt from all the rules about personal attacks, making psychological diagnosis' as well? Because that seems like an abuse of power.

And odd that jhamba got banned from gg for a 'personal attack' and yet I see personal attacks all the time on this website and those users never get banned. Was it just because the attack was against a mod?

boredtears
Talker
Talker

Post by boredtears »

timtam wrote:I don't wanna clog up the main thread with this but can anyone else see the message about mods and admins being exempt from all rules. That's very odd. Does that mean they are exempt from all the rules about personal attacks, making psychological diagnosis' as well? Because that seems like an abuse of power.

And odd that jhamba got banned from gg for a 'personal attack' and yet I see personal attacks all the time on this website and those users never get banned. Was it just because the attack was against a mod?

Yeahhh that message freaks me out - the lack of accountability for people in power in this place is going to run it into the ground

Also hi everyone i made an acc on twitter in light of recent events @boredtearsgg

daphenaxa
Informer
Informer

Post by daphenaxa »

modies and admins are "EXEMPT FROM ALL RULES, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED BY AN ADMIN".

yeah, not a recipe for disaster and abuse in the slightest.

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

The rules were not made by current mods and were made at the start of GG years ago. Current mods just 'enforce' the rules.

If ANY user posted a public personal vendetta about any other user or any other mod, they would receive a permanent ban. It is not excessive and it is fair as personal attacks are not acceptable, neither will they be tolerated. No one should be single-out publicly on a forum or ganged up against by mob mentality or harassed to the point they cannot feel comfortable posting anywhere on GG without being attacked.

If a poster had targeted any of you and called you 'an asshole', a 'shitty' person etc, publicly (excuse the language :? but it is quoted from the post linked below) ) they too would be banned permanently.

teamug
Learner
Learner

Post by teamug »

let's not publicly gang up on anyone.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”