The Off Topic Part 3:Don't Be A Drama Llama

nineteen
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Off Topic Part 3:Don't Be A Drama Llama

Post by nineteen »

I don't know how off topic this is so I came here, but has anyone made a playlist or something of how many times Dan or Phil (or both) have said "try new things"? I'm curious to know when it began, especially since they say it a lot. I will start one today if anyone is curious, it'll probably be a long list :rofl:

i'm new here, so feel free to correct me on mistakes :love2:

felucca
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by felucca »

nineteen wrote:I don't know how off topic this is so I came here, but has anyone made a playlist or something of how many times Dan or Phil (or both) have said "try new things"? I'm curious to know when it began, especially since they say it a lot. I will start one today if anyone is curious, it'll probably be a long list :rofl:
I think it's just the LessAmazingPhil vlogs?
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

majitzu
Informer
Informer

Post by majitzu »

felucca wrote:
nineteen wrote:I don't know how off topic this is so I came here, but has anyone made a playlist or something of how many times Dan or Phil (or both) have said "try new things"? I'm curious to know when it began, especially since they say it a lot. I will start one today if anyone is curious, it'll probably be a long list :rofl:
Yeah I'm pretty sure is only on LessAmazingPhil

nineteen
Lurker
Lurker

Post by nineteen »

majitzu wrote:
felucca wrote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure is only on LessAmazingPhil
Hmm...I might be watching his channel too much then. I could've sworn I saw them say it a few times on the gaming channel, oh well. I'll keep searching. Actually, have they said it in any liveshows? Seems a bit too specific of a thing to say, but I'm pretty sure they've said it more than three times (wait right? I lost track). Just figured I'd contribute something since they've been so inactive, but thanks for the help!

i'm new here, so feel free to correct me on mistakes :love2:

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

Yeah I think I did come across outside LAP too but I can't remember which channel/video.
Credit:amazingfiru

felucca
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by felucca »

Since I remember a bunch of people saying they liked Epic Rap Battles - you haven't missed Whitney Avalon's "Princess Rap Battles", right?

[youtube][/youtube]
(why yes that's Sarah Michelle Gellar)

Not just for princesses yo:
[youtube][/youtube]
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

peeeepins
Informer
Informer

Post by peeeepins »

[youtube][/youtube]

What a wonderful time to be alive :D
my watermelon ball brings all the :purr: to the yard and they're like meow meow meow meow

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

IRL Digital Ltd is pretty busy his week; they are operating 3 shops this XMas season. Last week crabstickz announced his new merch and today is Carrie's turn. They seem to have a good arrangement with Spiral bags as Carrie now carries her own backpack design too.
Credit:amazingfiru

Delta503
Debater
Debater

Post by Delta503 »

peeeepins wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

What a wonderful time to be alive :D
I cracked up when I first saw this in my sub box. I'm liking PJ's version of vlogmas, it's cool how he always uses his second channel to provide his audience with low pressure snippets. It definitely allows for far more of a personal connection, compared with just uploading his highly edited, and often sketch based main channel videos. I liked his Tiny Tree video as well, can he and Sophie come and decorate my space pls?

I've also been liking Rosiana's vlogmas. I've been starting to watch Jessica Jones recently, now I've got more free time, and her thoughts on it were really interesting (no spoilers beyond the first episode). Oh, and I have watched Jenn Im's december vlogging thing. Her and her boyfriend are pretty nauseating, but she's cute and I like her editing style. :roll: easily placated.

I'll jump on the Adrian Bliss bandwagon, really enjoyed his Vlogvember and the final one was curiously heart rending haha. It was kind of a smush of genres, as the emotional (those scenes where the 'manager' was monologuing enforced plans down the phone to him actually made me feel bad for 'Adrian'). The ~intentionally bad~ bad style is pretty deceptive because he obviously worked very hard and thought it through quite substantially. I guess one thing that made me kinda uneasy, like niknakool said, is that he does have all of these youtube connections. Tons of very popular youtubers promoted him, effectively endorsing and giving him 'permission' to make fun of them, so the fans seem to have given him a free pass as well. You kinda already need to be in the weird youtube bubble to have a chance of commenting freely on it. But it's still great he did of course, just thinking out loud here. Perhaps I should take it over to gasp's new thread lol, sorry.
sweetmm wrote:IRL Digital Ltd is pretty busy his week; they are operating 3 shops this XMas season. Last week crabstickz announced his new merch and today is Carrie's turn. They seem to have a good arrangement with Spiral bags as Carrie now carries her own backpack design too.
Yeah, I saw this. Martyn has really found a niche for himself, and it's interesting the spiral deal has been extended to Carrie as well. The backpack in the D&P shop must have sold well. I quite liked some of the crabstickz merch, but unfortunately I can't bring myself to purchase it. However, the product captions....
The difference between the two colours may seem at first to be futile and completely absurd but it is vital as a supporter to The Chris Kendall to wear the correct colour. The purple design is for those from the 'Church of Crab' who believe he will return one day riding on the backs of a thousand crabs as the heavens open up and trumpets blare the theme tune from Dallas. The white design is for those of the 'Kendallarah' faith who believe we are all in fact living inside the mind of The Chris Kendall in a virtual world of his creation. x
and the tweets Chris sent out directly after the launch...
[tweet][/tweet]
made it totally worth it though. We're truly taking whatever Chris content we can get nowadays :lol:
felucca wrote:Since I remember a bunch of people saying they liked Epic Rap Battles - you haven't missed Whitney Avalon's "Princess Rap Battles", right?
Thanks for the rec, fel! I hadn't seen these before, can't believe they managed to get SMG involved - wonder if Phil's seen it ;)

It's nice being back here, this was always my favourite thread :P Hope everyone's doing well. :love2:
Dan Howell wrote:Remember kids, this is just me talking shit.

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

For those of you who enjoy some academic-style reading, a friend of mine who is a privacy lawyer is doing a really fascinating series on her tumblr about coming out. The post she made today involves the moral obligation of public figures to come out.

(The first few paragraphs reference some things in another fandom but just scroll down to the bolded question if you want to skip that. I've also spoken with her about Dan and Phil at times in the past just to gauge her thoughts on their situation, so there's a chance if she ends up name dropping specific situations she might talk about them directly.)

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

So it's pretty safe to say that Dan had quite good music taste when he was a bit younger whatever happened aye, and listening to TBS tonight on the radio show got me thinking to what other good songs he could drop. These are some of the totally emomyspace songs I rinsed to death in my stereo, what were some of yours?

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

ImageImageImage

Paulie_walnuts
Learner
Learner

Post by Paulie_walnuts »

^Waaah that is so nostalgic! :) Ah Brand new, how I loved you.. soundtrack to so many teenage make out sessions. I'm always surprised when people are asked about quintessentially 'emo' bands, the most common answers seem to always be fob, mcr, and panic... there's so much more! (sorry i'll rephrase WAS so much more).
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Thats enough... Back away..

deerly

Post by deerly »

Hi everyone! I'm Kate, 19, Russia, studying counseling psychology at uni crying in my pajamas at home. Been lurking here for about 3 months and finally joined you bc i really like this board. People are not afraid of discussions and sharing their opinions (you can't really do that on tumblr) but still seem very friendly and not agressive.
My story of discovering dp is not very original but still a lil bit funny. I was aware of their existence for about 2 or 3 years but never really watched them. Me and my friend stumbled upon them this spring while drunkbrowsing youtube and we assumed they are a couple. We were like wow cool fellow q*eer youtubers with great content, no pointless luxury-life-vlogs and great interests similar to ours. So their super-platonic-bros demeanor after a few videos came as a big surprise :D We were like WHAAAT THEY ARE NOT OUT

I'm not sure if the following would be considered OT in the main thread so I'll say it here. Dan and Phil and their relationship really remind me of Pete and Carl (of the Libertines). I just can't stop comparing them after the new Q magazine article: "They bicker constantly. Barat is suprisingly shy; Doherty’s confident but self-deprecating. Both are passionate, literate, hyper-sensitive, vulnerable, but where Barat bottles up his grievances, Doherty obsessively needles at them."
And Pete's answer about sexuality in the old Boyz interview sound a lot like something 2015Dan would say:
"Interviewer: Can i ask if you’ve actually had sex with a man?
Pete: No, you can’t ask me that. I get asked that all the time, every night some curious kid or whoever. But you can’t ask me if I’ve had sex with a woman either."
Not trying to prove anything, it's just something that's been on my mind for a while. Maybe it's because indie rock fandom was one of my first fandoms ever and the only one involving real people shipping. And here I am 7 years later shipping another british boys.

imphanaf
Talker
Talker

Post by imphanaf »

deerly wrote:Hi everyone! I'm Kate, 19, Russia, studying counseling psychology at uni crying in my pajamas at home. Been lurking here for about 3 months and finally joined you bc i really like this board. People are not afraid of discussions and sharing their opinions (you can't really do that on tumblr) but still seem very friendly and not agressive.
My story of discovering dp is not very original but still a lil bit funny. I was aware of their existence for about 2 or 3 years but never really watched them. Me and my friend stumbled upon them this spring while drunkbrowsing youtube and we assumed they are a couple. We were like wow cool fellow q*eer youtubers with great content, no pointless luxury-life-vlogs and great interests similar to ours. So their super-platonic-bros demeanor after a few videos came as a big surprise :D We were like WHAAAT THEY ARE NOT OUT

I'm not sure if the following would be considered OT in the main thread so I'll say it here. Dan and Phil and their relationship really remind me of Pete and Carl (of the Libertines). I just can't stop comparing them after the new Q magazine article: "They bicker constantly. Barat is suprisingly shy; Doherty’s confident but self-deprecating. Both are passionate, literate, hyper-sensitive, vulnerable, but where Barat bottles up his grievances, Doherty obsessively needles at them."
And Pete's answer about sexuality in the old Boyz interview sound a lot like something 2015Dan would say:
"Interviewer: Can i ask if you’ve actually had sex with a man?
Pete: No, you can’t ask me that. I get asked that all the time, every night some curious kid or whoever. But you can’t ask me if I’ve had sex with a woman either."
Not trying to prove anything, it's just something that's been on my mind for a while. Maybe it's because indie rock fandom was one of my first fandoms ever and the only one involving real people shipping. And here I am 7 years later shipping another british boys.
WELL WELL WELL WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE.

i think they main difference here is that peter does not give a fuck about what people think of him, so he doesn't go around hiding things. And also, carl tells the truth when he drunk, good thing he's drunk like 99% of the time. But i get what you mean, I see in P&C the same sort of "soulmates" thing that i see in D&P. Along the lines of what peter posted in .org about the time Carl wanted to commit and he told him that together they'd go far into infinity.

I sometimes think its not a coincidence that im just so interested in relationships like D&P and P&C! Glad im not the only one!

deerly

Post by deerly »

imphanaf, yeeees fellow libs fan! Maybe we have a type :D Fun fact: I've had your userpic printed and pinned to my corkboard since forever.
Yep, P&C and D&P are obviously very different people but their chemistry and relationship dynamic (at least what they allow us to see) seem quite similar to me. I just can't stop thinking about Arcadia when dp talk about ~their world~.
Re hiding things: sometimes I feel like C&P revealed a lot more than intended bc of obvious reasons like Carl's drunken confessions. Completely offtopic: I wanted to meet drunk Carl bc I thought it would be funny but he seemed prtty sober at the recent jackals gig in my city so I didn't even bother waiting for him.

annetamiau
Talker
Talker

Post by annetamiau »

Can I talk about something personal and completely irrelevant? I'll post it with a spoiler tag
So, today I've sat the CAE exam, after many months of preparing for it and after paying 208 €. I'm so frustrated right now, I will have failed for the most stupid reason: I had to sit in a classroom near a window (it was in a secondary school) and some kids were playing a basketball match just outside. They were super loud, and I couldn't concentrate and couldn't finish my Reading Paper, which is what I'm good at. This got me so depressed I couldn't focus for the rest of the exam, even though the kids had stopped. It was exhausting, and I will probably have to sit it again in a few months (I want to have the C1 level because I think I'll get better job opportunities).

I'm really envious of you people that speak perfect English without it being your first language ¬ ¬

Thanks for reading this :)
Have a very nice day / night! ^^
Tant de bo dos i dos sumin quatre

joliefolie
Learner
Learner

Post by joliefolie »

imphanaf wrote:I sometimes think its not a coincidence that im just so interested in relationships like D&P and P&C! Glad im not the only one!
Oh wow, I had to post in response to this. When I first discovered D&P and tried to explain them to a friend, I said that they were basically like Peter & Carl but with a happy ending. Because at their essence Peter & Carl are a duo who created an "us against the world" narrative when they met - after years of loneliness they found someone who shared their world view, aesthetic and sense of humour and together created a universe so strong, appealing and romantic that all these young people wanted to inhabit it with them. (Also, everyone who ever met them IRL says they are a comedy double act and stuck in their own world.)

I believe what makes an RPF fandom work (aside from being basically canon) is the creation of a 'mythology' around the central couple and the narrative of their meeting. The difference here being that Peter & Carl purposefully mythologized themselves - insert 'young Pete Doherty, aspiring rockstar' psychoanalysis here - whereas most of Dan and Phil's romantic mythology comes from a leaked private video. They've started to self-mythologize more with the book and tour, but it's latter days.

I was very amused when the "You're My Waterloo" video came out a few days ago - who would have thought that in 2015, P&C would continue to self-mythologize their youth, literally inserting themselves as a straight couple. Can't wait for Dan and Phil to do something similar when they're almost 40. 8-)

[video][/video]

Anyway, it made me a bit sad when Dan dismissed the Libs in a liveshow. I suppose that logically he was one of those kids voting for Matt Bellamy instead of Carl Barat on NME Sexiest Male polls.

deerly

Post by deerly »

joliefolie, ty, you made me watch the video. I haven't already because I didn't want to witness the amounts of nohomoing going on.

Lold at the comments

imphanaf
Talker
Talker

Post by imphanaf »

Ah, the waterloo video. Yes. One can't help to draw comparisons between the two. When reading stories about their times in different stupid jobs when they first met and the crazy things they did together versus dan tweets about visiting phil and "being busy being happy" it's just like it's the same story, different Universe.

The Waterloo video, boy was I pissed about the no homo-ing. Specially because of Carl's retweet, kinda like playing us a bit, wasn't it?

If there was a competition between d&p and p&c on who was more ambiguous, ...

I just hope dan and phil get to do this cute shit while they're in the 40s too.

imphanaf
Talker
Talker

Post by imphanaf »

im having some sort of emotional breakdown so ..
here's some pics

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”