D&P Phanfic

spaceguitarr
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: D&P Phanfic

Post by spaceguitarr »

Another fic rec... make a wish when your childhood dies by helenismylover on tumblr
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5040784
Ok so i read this fic in one sitting and it broke my heart. It's kinda angsty, but not overwhelmingly so. It has a feeling of mystery to it, and it's very suspenseful. The author is amazing also. The Phan is kinda non-explicit/ not romantic (well they never date), but them and their relationship is still pretty great.

philbot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by philbot »

joliefolie wrote:Hopefully the following two recs can help someone out if they've (like me) recently joined the fandom and are looking for something meaty and emotionally satisfying.

for you I'd wait (til kingdom come) (15377 words) by blueshirt
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4684244
Summary: 5 times throughout the years that Dan and Phil did the FWB thing, 1 time they didn’t, and 1 time it all worked out.

before we turn into a monster (with two heads) (30730 words) by blueshirt
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4868636
Summary: The 30K Secret Agents AU that nobody asked for, featuring an undercover mission as husbands, annoying coworkers with a betting pool (Dan is going to complain to HR about Felix), and inevitable slow-dancing to Ed Sheeran.

It's been an interesting experience trying to figure out why most fic for this pairing doesn't work for me. In part it may be that the reality/canon manages to be narratively satisfying already. The conflict and UST required for the premise of a relationship story will therefore always feel manufactured to an extent, whereas a lot of pairings are about addressing and fulfilling existing UST. So we're always stretching away from canon rather than towards it.

Curious to hear if anyone else shares this opinion
thanks for these recs, i've fallen in love with blueshirt's writing style! absolutely loved these two and the new one they've put up. t'was a great take on the trope of getting-back-together and i love the way they characterise dan's headspace. probably one of the most enjoyable dan characterisations i've ever had the privilege of reading - healthy doses of self-deprecation, dark humour, genuine softness... great stuff.

i see what you mean about UST generally feeling manufactured, and i do agree to an extent - though i've found that good authors are usually able to make it feel very believable. it's all down to good characterisation, i feel. off the top of my head, ramonaspeaks' Our Threadbare Lies is one that does UST incredibly well. admittedly, it's down in part, to the period of time the fic is set in and the theme; a 2009 fake relationship AU lends itself well to UST. i feel like AUs in general always have that manufactured feel about them (which is understandable, considering there's a common structure to writing AUs... you have to introduce the characters, introduce them to each other, make them fall in love, throw in a bit of conflict, resolve the conflict etc) so it's always a treat when you find one that follows the pattern but manages to avoid feeling manufactured. i think transdimensional_void's So Many Stars is a great example of an AU that manages to escape this seemingly inevitable doom, and a lot of it is due to how 3D the supporting characters are and how descriptive the writing style is.

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

I'm actually re-reading So Many Stars right now. But that's the kind of story that is so well written it would almost work with any pairing. The personalities lend a lot to it but the author just has enough natural talent that I can see it being manipulated to fit just about anyone and still be stunning.

Can I pimp my own fic here? It's weird to write and feel like almost no one is reading it, but this fandom is so big with no central way of easily sharing fic that I'm aware - pretty much no one is actually reading it. I haven't written anything long with them because I don't particularly have any ideas (which I think goes back to being so content with the reality of their situation that I don't need to fall back on AUs) but I still find myself obsessively just writing life-scene type stories. My tumblr for phanfic is slightlydizzier if anyone is looking for stuff to read.

kusunoki masashige
Learner
Learner

Post by kusunoki masashige »

philbot wrote:i see what you mean about UST generally feeling manufactured, and i do agree to an extent - though i've found that good authors are usually able to make it feel very believable. it's all down to good characterisation, i feel. off the top of my head, ramonaspeaks' Our Threadbare Lies is one that does UST incredibly well. admittedly, it's down in part, to the period of time the fic is set in and the theme; a 2009 fake relationship AU lends itself well to UST. i feel like AUs in general always have that manufactured feel about them (which is understandable, considering there's a common structure to writing AUs... you have to introduce the characters, introduce them to each other, make them fall in love, throw in a bit of conflict, resolve the conflict etc) so it's always a treat when you find one that follows the pattern but manages to avoid feeling manufactured. i think transdimensional_void's So Many Stars is a great example of an AU that manages to escape this seemingly inevitable doom, and a lot of it is due to how 3D the supporting characters are and how descriptive the writing style is.
Ooh, I liked all three of blueshirts fics and Our Threadbare Lies.

One of the reasons why "So Many Stars" feels so genuine is, that the person who wrote it experienced the whole English language teacher in Japan thing themselves, I'm pretty sure of it.
It was so strange and funny for me to read, because a really good friend of mine lived and worked in the same area that So Many Stars takes place in. She wasn't an ALT (assistant language teacher) but an CIR (coordinator for international relations), but she knew a lot of the ALTs and also had to visit middle or high schools every now and then. She stayed for three years and I managed to visit her annually, so I'm pretty familiar with the area myself. I remember, when she just started her job there four years ago, she mentioned that the ALTs told her about their legendary halloween party they have every year, so it was kind of surreal to read about it in a phanfic. Also, the hot springs, the mountains, the people, the feeling of living in this kind of bubble you know won't and can't last forever...transdimensional_void really managed to capture it quite realistically/beautifully.
I agree with alittledizzy, its just a beautifully written story that doesn't necessarily need phan, but it's just nice to imagine it with their faces.

Somelikeitpink
Informer
Informer

Post by Somelikeitpink »

alittledizzy wrote: Can I pimp my own fic here? It's weird to write and feel like almost no one is reading it, but this fandom is so big with no central way of easily sharing fic that I'm aware - pretty much no one is actually reading it. I haven't written anything long with them because I don't particularly have any ideas (which I think goes back to being so content with the reality of their situation that I don't need to fall back on AUs) but I still find myself obsessively just writing life-scene type stories. My tumblr for phanfic is slightlydizzier if anyone is looking for stuff to read.
I can only really really highly recommend your fics :love2: :love2:
I've been reading them for years really, even back when it was still another fandom - not knowing I'd find her again in the phandom. They are absolutely beautifully written, with their characters captured just the way I imagine them. Human.
Most of all though I enjoy how close to reality the seem (especially nowadays). So if you enjoy realitybased ones? Go read them. Some of them are achingly bittersweet - some of them just sweet, but all of them have managed to make me smile and feel better so far <3 <3

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

Somelikeitpink wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: Can I pimp my own fic here? It's weird to write and feel like almost no one is reading it, but this fandom is so big with no central way of easily sharing fic that I'm aware - pretty much no one is actually reading it. I haven't written anything long with them because I don't particularly have any ideas (which I think goes back to being so content with the reality of their situation that I don't need to fall back on AUs) but I still find myself obsessively just writing life-scene type stories. My tumblr for phanfic is slightlydizzier if anyone is looking for stuff to read.
I can only really really highly recommend your fics :love2: :love2:
I've been reading them for years really, even back when it was still another fandom - not knowing I'd find her again in the phandom. They are absolutely beautifully written, with their characters captured just the way I imagine them. Human.
Most of all though I enjoy how close to reality the seem (especially nowadays). So if you enjoy realitybased ones? Go read them. Some of them are achingly bittersweet - some of them just sweet, but all of them have managed to make me smile and feel better so far <3 <3

Omg you are so sweet. :love2: :love2:

spaceguitarr
Debater
Debater

Post by spaceguitarr »

alittledizzy wrote:I'm actually re-reading So Many Stars right now. But that's the kind of story that is so well written it would almost work with any pairing. The personalities lend a lot to it but the author just has enough natural talent that I can see it being manipulated to fit just about anyone and still be stunning.

Can I pimp my own fic here? It's weird to write and feel like almost no one is reading it, but this fandom is so big with no central way of easily sharing fic that I'm aware - pretty much no one is actually reading it. I haven't written anything long with them because I don't particularly have any ideas (which I think goes back to being so content with the reality of their situation that I don't need to fall back on AUs) but I still find myself obsessively just writing life-scene type stories. My tumblr for phanfic is slightlydizzier if anyone is looking for stuff to read.
Your fics are really good! They're nice and not very cliche. For reality based phanfic, they're up there with the best ones for me-

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

spaceguitarr wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:I'm actually re-reading So Many Stars right now. But that's the kind of story that is so well written it would almost work with any pairing. The personalities lend a lot to it but the author just has enough natural talent that I can see it being manipulated to fit just about anyone and still be stunning.

Your fics are really good! They're nice and not very cliche. For reality based phanfic, they're up there with the best ones for me-
Aw, thank you!!

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

Love your latest :tu: such a great holiday fic
http://slightlydizzier.tumblr.com/post/ ... xt-to-mine
Credit:amazingfiru

spaceguitarr
Debater
Debater

Post by spaceguitarr »

Ok i gotta post this fic. It has a different than usual take on D+P's relationship post-2012, though its kinda an au. It's also ridiculously angsty and sad (i cried :( ), though there's some fluff w/in the angst.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/522963 ... s/12060026
(Phan ^tm by wordsongs)

kusunoki masashige
Learner
Learner

spaceguitarr wrote:Ok i gotta post this fic. It has a different than usual take on D+P's relationship post-2012, though its kinda an au. It's also ridiculously angsty and sad (i cried :( ), though there's some fluff w/in the angst.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/522963 ... s/12060026
(Phan ^tm by wordsongs)
I usually don't cry, but this one had me with tears streaming down both cheeks at some points, especially during some parts in the middle (kids talk!!). It's very well written and just felt too real sometimes.
sweetmm wrote:Love your latest :tu: such a great holiday fic
http://slightlydizzier.tumblr.com/post/ ... xt-to-mine
Yes, I agree, really enjoyed it. alittledizzy, I love your fics!! <3
Sometimes I prefer to read the most ridiculous AUs because I don't mind them being ooc in some scenario that has nothing to do with real life, but beautifully written reality based stories like yours are the best. You're one of the few writers with the talent to capture them like that (or at least that's what I can imagine them to be like).

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

dizzy's latest fic made me like Dan :o

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5455103
Credit:amazingfiru

rizzo
Learner
Learner

Post by rizzo »

sweetmm wrote:dizzy's latest fic made me like Dan :o

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5455103
Just came in here to comment on this fic as well. SO GOOD. Legit, alittledizzy, everything you write is so on point. Love it and agreed with sweetmm, love Dan in this.

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

Omg this feedback is amazing, thank you all so much!!

deerly

Post by deerly »

alittledizzy, I'm your fan! Love your writing style, love both D&P characterisation they seem so real and alive.
Can't even pick my favourite by you, they are all so amazing. I always come back to reread.

alittledizzy
Informer
Informer

Post by alittledizzy »

Thank you, deerly! :)

Since I got asked for fic recs on tumblr I threw this list together:

a contemplating soul by XaLo (I am obsessed with this, it’s been weeks since it was recced to me by an anon and I’m still going back and rereading it about every three days)
feed my fascination (a way our skin likes silk) By nokimisfics
Tried to do headstands for you (every time I fell on you) by popsongnation
i sing the body electric by nokomisfics (a WIP but part one is 8k and still feels like a nice substantial read)
fifty kisses to christmas by nokomisfics
the problem of the hatstall by snsk
Kinsey Two by thatsmistertoyou

Some that fall into the ‘literally just read everything they’ve written’ category that have posted too many things to list individually in the last couple of months:
loverboylester
snsk
festivecaden has some great longfics if you like to draw out the anticipation with WIPs

itsamy
Learner
Learner

Post by itsamy »

alittledizzy this list is so good! especially nokomis' work (because i'm a sucker for their hp au).
i'm also a big fan of your fics and love your portrayal of d&p. like others said before, very real and authentic. i'm always excited when i see you uploaded a new one. :D

i just want to recommend new blueshirt's fic. give it a shot, their fics are all usually very fluffy and adorable, that secret agents au is one of my all time faves. plus a flaw in the code - another au, i think someone here has already mentioned it. i have to admit some things are too exaggerated, but it was fun to read and i like to come back to this fic every once in a while.

redelep
Talker
Talker

Post by redelep »

does anyone want to cry?

litany in which certain things are crossed out by nokomisfic, recklessfishes. it's wonderfully written and my heart was aching for the both of them, of what could have have been.
do check out nokomisfic's fics on their tumblr; their fics are brilliant.

Phan™ by wordsongs. warning: major character death. i teared up at this. would have cried a lot more if i wasn't in the bus.

also, my heart will howl (till you pull it off the ground) by islet. it didnt make me cry, more of left my heart aching & heavy and was dazed for a few days. it's hopeful, bittersweet and angsty

(soz this wasnt much of a review. but i think good fics are when you can feel the character's emotions through the words and they've made an impact on you for hours/days. and these are meant to be shared and read, even if they make you cry in the end. if the multiverse theory is true, maybe these stories are happening somewhere. so im grateful for the fact that d&p we know are in this universe. where was i going with this? nowhere tbh so pls ignore this paragraph)
if you're wondering where the dnp people have gone to and why did this thread is so f*cking dead and hasnt move in a year, pls google in depth bants and click on the forum bc that's where we are

kusunoki masashige
Learner
Learner

WIP but for anyone who enjoyed So Many Stars and is interested in Phils side of the story:
A Comet Appears (a So Many Stars extra) by transdimensional_void on AO3

I also really enjoyed dizzys i cannot dream tonight, it's been really interesting to read a CharliePOV story (and such a believable one at that!)

spaceguitarr
Debater
Debater

Post by spaceguitarr »

I got another rec- its not a sad one this time:
ghosts like riding elevators, it raises their spirits - by abriata
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5817664

Basically, it is ghost Dan. It's really cute and it has a twist. I'd say its one of the best ghost aus I've read.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”