These two did not age well.

LazyGaga
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: JacksGap Part 2

Post by LazyGaga »

LadyBugB wrote:These two did not age well.
Channel-wise or physically?
I am Jack's inflamed sense of entitlement.

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LadyBugB »

LazyGaga wrote:
LadyBugB wrote:These two did not age well.
Channel-wise or physically?
Les deux.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

I read that the reason Jack stopped posting videos was because Casey Neistat made a comment regarding how annoying it is to spend time on a video only to have other content creators copy it. Around the time he made the video Jack stopped uploading videos. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Post by Guest »

^ I recall not long after that, Casey and Finn (who lived in NYC at the time) would greet each other on the street and they were quite civil to each other; maybe Casey was more annoyed with Jack, especially as it was he who was 'inspired' by the going-halfway-across-the-world-to-surprise-my-girlfriend video. I stopped watching all these guys a while back so don't know if things have changed between them. I'm guessing JacksGap also ran out of ideas and weren't feeling Youtube anymore, especially as a lot of their fans thought their videos had become too hipster and pretentious.

Citrine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Citrine »

Yeah, it was a bit of a blow-up. Ben Brown made a video about it trying to smooth it over for jack as I recall, but.. Imo Jacksgap videos were going downhill by that time anyway so a bit of drama just paved the exit.

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

They were accused of blatantly ripping off Casey Neistat which was correct. J and Finn were pretentious especially with those awful Shed Sessions. Shannon Saunders was the first and her ridiculous scratching of her guitar and whiny voice was somehow supposed to be cool. It wasn't it was dreadful.

Things lost their spontaneity and excitement when they did those dreadful India films 'Rickshaw Run'. It isolated their fanbase who were hell bent on defending them no matter what crap they posted. When they reached their 20s they couldn't keep their looks and teenage fan base found other better people. They should have stuck to what they were good at was being themselves.

tctp
Informer
Informer

Post by tctp »

he uploaded yesterday for the first time in 2 years lmao

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

oh I can hardly wait

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

Just had a look not exactly groundbreaking and he looks nothing like the cute person he used to be.

Post by Guest »

I tend to forget I ever commented on this thread when there's a new post every 9 months or so and and unsubbed ages ago, lol. Will check out this belated upload now, thanks for letting us know...

hazh
Informer
Informer

Post by hazh »

.....I wish I was a rich, privileged douche who could waste years "thinking of myself as a documentary film-maker". ;)

Meh2016
Talker
Talker

Post by Meh2016 »

I enjoyed parts of his speech such as him saying that they were successful due to right place right time. Thats far more self aware then the rest of the old brit crew who think they are talented. It was a good topic as over here in the uk they are really pushing about male depression and how important it is for men and friends and relatives of men to recognise there may be a problem. Overall it was an ok first video back his views are ok for someone who has been away for years but I wonder how many of his 4 mill subs will now unsubscribe.

heymela
Learner
Learner

Post by heymela »

i really liked the video he posted yesterday.

FunLizzie
Talker
Talker

Post by FunLizzie »

heymela wrote:i really liked the video he posted yesterday.
Me too! Loved how raw it was
English isn't my first language.

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

I watched bits of it and he came across as someone utterly defeated by the whole experience. That spark of excitement he used to have in the good old days when things seemed to be going well for him. The whole change from silly videos to serious filmmaker in two weeks was a disaster and yet his fangirls seem to cheer and congratulate him on anything he posted. He could film a turd for two hours and still people would say stupid things like it is brilliant or you 'inspire me' or the worst 'he has come such a long way'.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

So I’ve just learnt from Instagram strories that he’s releasing a book of pictures from the Headed East trip. And he’s signing 500 of them to encourage what’s left of his young impressionable fan base to buy without question. Not thaaattt different to a regular old YouTuber is he?

Also how much traction is he trying to get out of this one quite average short film that seems to be basically all he’s done for about five years ?

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

Oh my goodness. Really? How about doing something that isn't horribly pretentious. Hasn't he learnt from the last 4-5 years? The shed sessions. The horribly pretentious Indian films. And the climate change stuff. Nothing original and nothing worth while that hasn't been said before.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Oh god , the shed sessions. That was a serious low point. I didn’t mind the India vlogs, partly because it’s hard to make India boring . Though it was nothing special and hideously over hyped. I seem to remember it was massively delayed in being released or something ?

Also while we are reminiscing let’s not forget the trio of Casey Neistat rip off videos...

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

They were incredible naive to think that they could get away with copying those videos and format and think that no one would notice. It shows that they were not producing anything that was original and of quality. Surely as a business as theres they would have meetings to come up with new content for the channel. Sitting down and making good content. But they were happy enough to look at someone else's work and basically do what they did.

The India films took so look as in the beginning their equipment was stolen. Very silly for a lot of people to go to a country with very expensive camera equipment and think that no one would notice you. They weren't robbed or anything which shows there lack of awareness and the ability to keep things safe. It was safe that they had filmed so much material that they didn't know how to present it all and editing took a long time. All of the people who went out had a camera with them which means they didn't plan who was going to do the films and who was going to be on the other side of the camera.

Jack was incredibly naive and wanted too much too quickly. He wanted to save the planet and was very silly thinking that everyone would adapt to the sudden change in the channels content. The channel still has 4 million subscribers although he's losing 7 thousand subscribers per month according to social blade. His recent video only got just over 200k in one month and working out thats only 5% of your subscribers who have watched the video.

No one wants to see pretentious brats banging on about climate change. People who haven't experienced world etc

Return to “The British Crew”