JacksGap (Jack & Finn Harries) - Part 2

Filmmucker
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: JacksGap Part 2

Post by Filmmucker »

So he's pretty much completely inactive now, right? Putting up a video someone else shot every several months or so? I think getting called out by Casey really shook the kid. Granted, I think he kind of deserved a slap back into reality. Man, if I was his father I'd be so disappointed in him. Maybe he'll grow out of his phase and end up actually doing something helpful he actually cares about/is good at.

To me, this whole YouTube career seems like a narcissistic teenage phase that went on too long. I think getting viewers just because of his cute face might have gone to his head. Too many of these YouTubers try to jump right into being a talented successful cinematographers. The truth is, it takes years and years of hard work praiseless work, beating at your craft before you can come even close to making something even a little bit good. You need to be a student in some shape or form before you can actually be good at a skill. These YouTube personalities think because they make a video that gets a lot of views it means they are good are videography. But the reason why YouTube personalities are popular isn't because they are cinematographers that are capable of actual creativity. It's because they are personalities. Jack, go to school or work an apprenticeship or something before you think you're actually more than just a pretty face.

FedUpSoDone
Lurker
Lurker

Post by FedUpSoDone »

Who is Casey? What happened?

RubyWooo
Debater
Debater

Post by RubyWooo »

FedUpSoDone wrote:Who is Casey? What happened?
Casey Neistat is a filmmaker on Youtube. Jack was so inspired by him that he (I think unintentionally) copied a lot of his stuff. Not just the editing style, but also complete video ideas ('Jack-knife hack', 'A film for Ella'). Casey called him out in a video when Jack announced he started a company (Casey just started a company too) and when they started vlogging (Jack never vlogged before, but started just 1 month after Casey started vlogging).

FedUpSoDone
Lurker
Lurker

Post by FedUpSoDone »

RubyWooo wrote:
FedUpSoDone wrote:Who is Casey? What happened?
Casey Neistat is a filmmaker on Youtube. Jack was so inspired by him that he (I think unintentionally) copied a lot of his stuff. Not just the editing style, but also complete video ideas ('Jack-knife hack', 'A film for Ella'). Casey called him out in a video when Jack announced he started a company (Casey just started a company too) and when they started vlogging (Jack never vlogged before, but started just 1 month after Casey started vlogging).
Oh, thank you! Wow, I didn't know all of that!

blairwaldorf27
Learner
Learner

Post by blairwaldorf27 »

The real problem of the channel (except the Casey SWF-ing) is that they gained subscribers (mostly teenage girls) by stuffing Fererro Rochers into their mouth and doing dumb shit while being hot. Then they tried to venture into their whole 'enlightened world traveler' schtik, which worked out with india, but that was still mostly shots of cute british boys (often shirtless) frolicking around a foreign country.

I liked shed sessions, but that content could have literally been hosted on any channel ever. Nice songs, great - but there's no Jack/Finn in that.

Their other ''serious'' videos were just....your 13year old viewers do not care about some rando chick you met that, admittedly, does good work. That's just not what they signed up for, and if that was what someone wanted to see - others were already doing it, and better.

I'm glad Finn is getting a degree so he'll have a chance of a normal, working future. Not that Jack will fail in life, but it will more than likely be a result of his background and privilege. Too bad.

Coffee4Me
Debater
Debater

Post by Coffee4Me »

Casey just gave this guys a massive shout out in a recent video for their drone footage, good to see there's no bad blood there.

HHackett
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HHackett »

926val wrote:I did enjoy the channel after they stopped doing stupid challenge videos and started to make travel videos and more creative works but what in the hell are they doing now? Like Finn is doing his thing in NYC which is fine but Jack and his team of people, who just seem to do very little except go on holiday a lot, is making me a very disgruntled subscriber. It's annoying how he is using the channel to work with skype and other brands when he doesn't produce content.
Well... I believe that he has create a film-making company and their "holidays" as you said, are mainly for working reasons. This company is not a YT-related I guess, as they're not posting on their channel.

I'm not a big fan of them anymore, they tried to change their content really fast and it hasn't worked out as they expected. Eventhough, they still make money out of their channel...

ggranger
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ggranger »

Another gigantic shout out from Casey. This time for Jack's poem about Youtube, Casey said it was one of the best videos on Youtube.

Damn it. I love Casey, he's in a league of his own in Youtube, but I'm still slightly bitter about the whole company vlogging thing. I would kill to have Jack daily vlogging, what a missed opportunity.

RoisinDubh17
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RoisinDubh17 »

Not sure which one it was but saw one of them on a bike yesterday and I shouted hey Jack or Finn and he laughed and waved. Whichever one it was was gorgeoussss but so short looking ? Lol. Home from Amsterdam now planning on going back asap - girls the men there are a different league so go go go haha

JackCanny
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by JackCanny »

Their channel has gone to shit especially considering they were the biggest youtubers like 2 years ago

halkatlaa
Debater
Debater

Post by halkatlaa »

JackCanny wrote:Their channel has gone to shit especially considering they were the biggest youtubers like 2 years ago
very true!

I still enjoy there videos when they upload.. but they are nowhere near were they were 2 years ago.. they were the first british youtubers I found, and through them I found Caspar and Joe through him.. it's kinda sad really but I can't really bitch that they decided to follow there passion instead off making videos just for the teens and pre-teens
Icelandic so sorry for spelling mistakes :D

JackCanny
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by JackCanny »

halkatlaa wrote:
JackCanny wrote:Their channel has gone to shit especially considering they were the biggest youtubers like 2 years ago
very true!

I still enjoy there videos when they upload.. but they are nowhere near were they were 2 years ago.. they were the first british youtubers I found, and through them I found Caspar and Joe through him.. it's kinda sad really but I can't really bitch that they decided to follow there passion instead off making videos just for the teens and pre-teens

I have tons of respect for them for not doing videos they don't enjoy just to make money but it is a very good example of how fast some youtubers get passed on I mean remember charlieissocoollike? No one even talks about him anymore and 7 years ago he was the equivalent of PewDiePie. Some youtubers like Shane Dawson, Jenna Marbles and Tyler Oakley have been able to stay relevant for so long but it does prove that if the main reason you get popular is because of your looks you shouldn't count on being famous for very long...

halkatlaa
Debater
Debater

Post by halkatlaa »

JackCanny wrote:
halkatlaa wrote:
very true!

I have tons of respect for them for not doing videos they don't enjoy just to make money but it is a very good example of how fast some youtubers get passed on I mean remember charlieissocoollike? No one even talks about him anymore and 7 years ago he was the equivalent of PewDiePie. Some youtubers like Shane Dawson, Jenna Marbles and Tyler Oakley have been able to stay relevant for so long but it does prove that if the main reason you get popular is because of your looks you shouldn't count on being famous for very long...
ohhh yeah I used to love Charlie! I'm still subscribed, but yeah I agree no one talks about him anymore!
Icelandic so sorry for spelling mistakes :D

ggranger
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ggranger »

We are reaching 6 months without a video.

Will he ever return?

I want that comeback as a daily vlogger, c'mon boy.

Lena
Learner
Learner

Post by Lena »

I stopped watching JacksGap probably a few years ago now. They did funny videos (I loved the video with Marcus in their car with a megaphone! :D ) and it was snappy short videos which killed 10 minutes.... and then it seemed like they didn't want to be associated with the scene .. stopped going to things like Vidcon and Playlist live, then started posting stuff which didn't interest me in the slightest. The big Brits don't hang out with them anymore, it seems? Apart from Louis, and most of the time it looks like jack/Finn give him a 'no filming' rule. Get over yourselves, JacksGap has fallen behind and you are no longer current.

People can argue that they were using their platform to raise awareness, but to be honest I don't care for it and I go on YouTube for some light entertainment.. Not to be preached at. :?

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

Crazy thought - they might just be over it. Unlike YouTubers who strike it lucky and grasp onto popularity and money by any means possible, having filthy rich parents means they can do whatever they want with no fear of financial problems. They don't need YouTube money at all.

Lena
Learner
Learner

Post by Lena »

niki900 wrote:Crazy thought - they might just be over it. Unlike YouTubers who strike it lucky and grasp onto popularity and money by any means possible, having filthy rich parents means they can do whatever they want with no fear of financial problems. They don't need YouTube money at all.
True, I think they are best fading away. It's a shame because once upon a time I quite liked them.

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

It has been a long time since their last youtube posting. I can't see why they have so many subscribers though. I unsubbed about two years ago.

Their obnoxious and pretentious way has been found out they know they (Jack is the main one) who really fucked it all up. He was greedy and wanted too much too soon. It was all zeal without any knowledge or experience. Jetting off to india to take pretentious photos and films doesn't give you the experience you would of spend time with the real people for 6/ a year. It was crass.

Anyone with a passport and 600 quid camera can do that and it doesn't surprise me at all that on these adventures they had some of their equipment nicked. Head up your own arse for such a long time you won't see what's going on.

They ignored any comments and criticisms and now it has come to bite them in their ass. They don't like it. They downgraded their offices pretty quickly as people most likely weren't as welcoming of their pretentious crap.

The first of the Shed Sessions (Shannon Saunders) was utterly abysmal. It was a girl who 'played' the guitar in the most awful way and I got jumped on for daring to criticise it. It was like someone moving the edge of a ruler up and down the strings she had no musical ability but because it sounded "a little alternative" they jumped on it. It was crap.

Just because pretty boy jack and finn put it on their site people lapped it up. Believe me Jack has lost his looks and seems like he needs a damn good wash and a decent meal. Goodness knows what his diet is. At the age of 22 or whatever they are now like Marcus Butler, Caspar Lee and Joe Sugg they haven't a fucking clue what now they are going to do with their channel. There's only so many challenge / react / dare/ Q&A videos people can watch. Especially when most of videos are vacuous and bland.

YouslessTube
Naughty
Naughty

Post by YouslessTube »

Has he broken up with his manly ugly troll looking gf or nah?

fredspoon
Learner
Learner

Post by fredspoon »

No idwa

Return to “The British Crew”