Daniel J Layton

fighead
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Daniel J Layton

Post by fighead »

I only watched one of his videos for the first time this year, but everything I've seen him in has made him seem insufferably self-important and fake-deep to me. I think he finds himself very interesting and intellectual but I don't think that really translates in video form. He has covered some interesting topics but there's just something about his personality that I find really grating and unenjoyable. I think it's his smugness, like he thinks he's "above" being a Youtuber while also relishing it as if he's part of an exclusive club, but he's only doing it as a gateway to acting. Which I find weird in itself, firstly because I think he'd be a very over-the-top and therefore bad actor, and also because that's a really convoluted route to take. It just sounds like an excuse instead of actually pursuing acting directly because he's too aware of the difficulty and likelihood of rejection.

Post by Guest »

clover123 wrote:His latest video on body image started off okay but when he started complaining about a few comments about his hairy chest I couldn't help sighing. Like he has NO idea what girls have to go through. "what should I do wax it? NO" mate, try being a girl and being expected to have no hair from the eyebrows down.
imagine if a girl YTber constantly had hairy legs... the abuse they'd get would be unreal! Again he came across quite privileged... oh poor Dan, a few people comment on your hairy chest! His appearance is not scrutinised like it would be if he was female. I dunno first the gay thing now this I'm starting to find him a bit moany, which i never used to!

I get that body image issues apply to everyone but I felt like this was just a moan when most people have it so much worse than him... if he doesn't care about a hairy chest (i've seen VERY few comments of people saying they don't like it tbh!) why did he make a video on it lol
Even if that's your opinion, you don't get to go challenge someone else's body image perceptions by diminishing them when comparing it to someone else's. Okay, he doesn't know what girls go through because he's not a girl. That doesn't make anything he says less valid or make what you do any more valid, especially when the standards of beauty are heavily applied by OTHER WOMEN. Do you think Zoella or Niomi Smart would have the fanbases and inspire as many young girls as they do if they didn't look the way they did, all put together, not a hair out of place and made up? Go after makeup gurus if you care that much about pressure of body images. This is why third wave feminism is grating.... using victimhood as a leg up on men.

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

JuniperJones wrote: This is why third wave feminism is grating.... using victimhood as a leg up on men.
Ok they didn't say they're a feminist or mention it at all, so this was unnecessary. Also they're allowed to feel frustrated at someone complaining about something that is clearly not an actual issue they face in society. A few youtube comments do not compare to societal pressures. They also didn't say that these beauty standards are enforced by men either. Maybe have a go at feminism somewhere else, but at least read what they've said properly first, seems you're the only one motivated by "victimhood" here.

Post by Guest »

kitzlig wrote:
JuniperJones wrote: This is why third wave feminism is grating.... using victimhood as a leg up on men.
Ok they didn't say they're a feminist or mention it at all, so this was unnecessary. Also they're allowed to feel frustrated at someone complaining about something that is clearly not an actual issue they face in society. A few youtube comments do not compare to societal pressures. They also didn't say that these beauty standards are enforced by men either. Maybe have a go at feminism somewhere else, but at least read what they've said properly first, seems you're the only one motivated by "victimhood" here.

And hair on legs is a societal issue? Oh, get off of it... maybe your mind works simplistically and you need things spelled out for you, but any idiot can read between the lines and see exactly that the insinuation is. "His hairy chest is nothing compared to my hairy legs because society." "He has no idea what girls go through because he doesn't have pressure to shave his legs." Okay, where's the pressure coming from to shave the legs, I wonder?

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

You don't really make much sense, and again you're making a lot of weird assumptions. To an extent hairy legs are a societal issue, because unshaved legs on a woman are looked down upon by others - same goes for underarms, too much or any pubic hair, and even if arm hair is too dark or thick. Not sure why you're putting in those bizarre quotes but yes, there is pressure on women to have a hairless body, it comes from both men and women. And the pressure on women is more than that on men, so that's why Clover123 was frustrated. That's really not something to get upset about. Relax.

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

People share their opinions here on what youtubers say, if you hadn't picked that up.

Post by Guest »

kitzlig wrote:You don't really make much sense, and again you're making a lot of weird assumptions. To an extent hairy legs are a societal issue, because unshaved legs on a woman are looked down upon by others - same goes for underarms, too much or any pubic hair, and even if arm hair is too dark or thick. Not sure why you're putting in those bizarre quotes but yes, there is pressure on women to have a hairless body, it comes from both men and women. And the pressure on women is more than that on men, so that's why Clover123 was frustrated. That's really not something to get upset about. Relax.

Frustrated at what? A standard that both men and women put on women? And you have the nerve to say I don't make much sense? If you don't want to shave your freaking legs, don't shave them. Should we also do away with the societal standard that men pay for the dates? That men get longer prison sentences than women? That men do the most dangerous jobs and constitute the majority of workplace fatalities? But, noooooooooooo, Daniel's bitching about a hairy chest, so his first world problems are no match for girls' first world problems of letting others dictate their body hair standards.

Pssh.

Post by Guest »

kitzlig wrote:People share their opinions here on what youtubers say, if you hadn't picked that up.

And the same forum also allows for others to share their opinion on said opinions of others about Youtubers... "if you hadn't picked that up."

Post by Guest »

But, it's all good. I was just feeling like pushing back a little on the gender-societal BS. Nothing personal.

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

JuniperJones wrote: Should we also do away with the societal standard that men pay for the dates? That men get longer prison sentences than women? That men do the most dangerous jobs and constitute the majority of workplace fatalities?
Yes, because that's what gender equality is. You're the one getting really deep into the gender-societal BS.

Post by Guest »

Not to be harsh but I've recently came to the revolution that this wee guy is pure thick as fuck. Honestly, scratch off the top layer of "oh I'm so smart I read books and remember a few big words" and you're left with a fucking dumb cunt.

Good_Bake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Good_Bake »

JuniperJones wrote:
clover123 wrote:His latest video on body image started off okay but when he started complaining about a few comments about his hairy chest I couldn't help sighing. Like he has NO idea what girls have to go through. "what should I do wax it? NO" mate, try being a girl and being expected to have no hair from the eyebrows down.
imagine if a girl YTber constantly had hairy legs... the abuse they'd get would be unreal! Again he came across quite privileged... oh poor Dan, a few people comment on your hairy chest! His appearance is not scrutinised like it would be if he was female. I dunno first the gay thing now this I'm starting to find him a bit moany, which i never used to!

I get that body image issues apply to everyone but I felt like this was just a moan when most people have it so much worse than him... if he doesn't care about a hairy chest (i've seen VERY few comments of people saying they don't like it tbh!) why did he make a video on it lol
Even if that's your opinion, you don't get to go challenge someone else's body image perceptions by diminishing them when comparing it to someone else's. Okay, he doesn't know what girls go through because he's not a girl. That doesn't make anything he says less valid or make what you do any more valid, especially when the standards of beauty are heavily applied by OTHER WOMEN. Do you think Zoella or Niomi Smart would have the fanbases and inspire as many young girls as they do if they didn't look the way they did, all put together, not a hair out of place and made up? Go after makeup gurus if you care that much about pressure of body images. This is why third wave feminism is grating.... using victimhood as a leg up on men.
whoa! Calm down! I just found it irritating, especially as it was quite soon after his video about how hard it was that people thought he was gay... poor me poor me etc. It wasn't meant to be anything more than a little rant lol.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I don't think beauty gurus are to blame for expectations here... girls didn't just wake up one day and decide to shave all leg hair off lol. You can't blame one person for it! Beauty standards have developed over time and there is a degree of sexism behind it, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Obvs there are bigger issues than leg hair etc, forgive me for getting annoyed, but isn't that what this forum allows us to express?

But anyway. I don't think it's you worth getting cross about my opinion! I just personally found it annoying and a bit ignorant of him. You're totally free to disagree!

Post by Guest »

Oh, we're good. I was just having a go. We shouldn't take things on here too seriously to where it messes up your day. I tend to forget the way I come across/at others can be very intense and confrontational. But, I'm cool.

maddie__c
Lurker
Lurker

Post by maddie__c »

i used to like him a lot (along with hazel, dodie, jack, etc) but now... not so much. i still watch his videos sometimes but idk i feel like he's too fake-deep like jack and he's just a bit pretentious. i quite liked his time of the month but that was also pretty cringe and his like little ending of them were too cringe and i had to turn it off before it reached that point lol

i also sometimes feel he gets annoyed with dodie a bit? and maybe some others, but i don't blame him considering they're all in their 20s (minus hazel) and i'd get sick of my friend acting like a teenager all the time

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

I'd get annoyed with Dodie too, with how much she squeals and screeches. I agree though, he seems to overthink everything, like he feels the need to be really deep about everything?

BreeGal
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by BreeGal »

I wonder if he and Reb Day are dating - she's shown up with him in a bunch of videos recently, even ones not on his channel (Hazel's "Would You Rather" video). I guess that even if they are, he probably wouldn't mention it; he's had long relationships in the past apparently and not said anything about them, but I just wonder.

adanya
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by adanya »

Dan seems to have a picture in his mind of what he thinks his life should be and constantly waits for that life to start, meantime days pass and he gets older waiting for everything to fall into place like a sitcom. He has epiphany after epiphany thinking he finally figured out how to be better, be more creative and more successful when the truth is being an adult and succeeding isn't something that "clicks" and happens over night. It takes hard work and luck to get what you want and he just seems to give up on things too easily. The sad truth is most people are not going to be the lead character, they are just extras and there is nothing wrong with that. Really wonder if he will be able to follow through with his latest project.

EST
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by EST »

He quit his job to do whatever it is he's doing full-time? Really?

Monster_Guru33
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Monster_Guru33 »

What is his project exactly?

I haven't been following Dan that much. And by the grace of this thread, neither has Guru Gossip.

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

I don't know what he's doing, but it's a bit concerning if youtube is his sole income now. Hopefully he's got acting gigs? His latest project is the Aspects series right?

Return to “The British Crew”