Daniel J Layton

BreeGal
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Daniel J Layton

Post by BreeGal »

I wonder if he and Reb Day are dating - she's shown up with him in a bunch of videos recently, even ones not on his channel (Hazel's "Would You Rather" video). I guess that even if they are, he probably wouldn't mention it; he's had long relationships in the past apparently and not said anything about them, but I just wonder.

adanya
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by adanya »

Dan seems to have a picture in his mind of what he thinks his life should be and constantly waits for that life to start, meantime days pass and he gets older waiting for everything to fall into place like a sitcom. He has epiphany after epiphany thinking he finally figured out how to be better, be more creative and more successful when the truth is being an adult and succeeding isn't something that "clicks" and happens over night. It takes hard work and luck to get what you want and he just seems to give up on things too easily. The sad truth is most people are not going to be the lead character, they are just extras and there is nothing wrong with that. Really wonder if he will be able to follow through with his latest project.

EST
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by EST »

He quit his job to do whatever it is he's doing full-time? Really?

Monster_Guru33
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Monster_Guru33 »

What is his project exactly?

I haven't been following Dan that much. And by the grace of this thread, neither has Guru Gossip.

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

I don't know what he's doing, but it's a bit concerning if youtube is his sole income now. Hopefully he's got acting gigs? His latest project is the Aspects series right?

doggo47
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by doggo47 »

(Been lurking here for a while but finally decided to take the plunge and make an account lol)

Honestly, I really like Daniel J. He seems like a genuinely sweet guy, and of all of them he definitely seems like he'd be easiest to get on with as a mate. But I too am concerned tbh about his income. Particularly given the level of his content (...what content more like) and audience engagement, I have no idea how he's affording a £200pw flat. Teach me your ways Daniel. I too would like to afford a comfortable flat in London and watch Friends all day.

doggo47
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by doggo47 »

doggo47 wrote:(Been lurking here for a while but finally decided to take the plunge and make an account lol)

Honestly, I really like Daniel J. He seems like a genuinely sweet guy, and of all of them he definitely seems like he'd be easiest to get on with as a mate. But I too am concerned tbh about his income. Particularly given the level of his content (...what content more like) and audience engagement, I have no idea how he's affording a £200pw flat. Teach me your ways Daniel. I too would like to afford a comfortable flat in London and watch Friends all day.
lol perhaps he read this because now there's a book/patreon/in-coming store with merch and the works :D :rofl:

I think the book sounds like a cute idea, but I'll be v interested to see what the merch will be...

MissEm
Talker
Talker

Post by MissEm »

doggo47 wrote:
doggo47 wrote:(Been lurking here for a while but finally decided to take the plunge and make an account lol)

lol perhaps he read this because now there's a book/patreon/in-coming store with merch and the works :D :rofl:

I think the book sounds like a cute idea, but I'll be v interested to see what the merch will be...
Full disclosure, he gets in my nerves a bit sometimes but I really do like Dan a lot. I just watched his announcement video and what fascinates me about the book is that he's apparently self publishing it? Which honestly makes me feel a little more optimistic and excited about it.

It seems like this is something he wanted to do but no one came knocking offering a get-rich book deal? I know there are a couple legit Youtuber books out there but this one rings more true for me than a lot of the nonsense precisely because of the self-publishing thing.

Is that silly/naive?

kitzlig
Debater
Debater

Post by kitzlig »

I'm a bit over him now, in all honesty. I really liked him, I LOVED Baking with Layton and his videos with the Fratocrats, but what does he even do now? He seems makes videos less now that it's his full time job and they're pretty pointless and dull, or an ad. Might unsubscribe tbh, which sucks now that he brought out his baking book, if only he actually did those videos more.

doggo47
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by doggo47 »

I have to say, for all my positivity the other day, I was really unimpressed with the latest video with Tomska. It was such a non-video I felt - nowhere near as funny or entertaining as previous baking vids. I really don't like Tomska and his 'I'm obese and hate myself and this is my brand' attitude (dude, you're not well, please don't glorify it) so that may have influenced it, but for Dan to come out with the "buy my book, c****" right into the camera??

Maybe I'm being over sensitive, but I'm chill with swearing most of the time and that caught me off guard. C'mon Dan. You being a sweet guy is the best thing you've got going for you. And I'm sure as hell not going to buy anything if you talk to your audience like that, even in jest.

BreeGal
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by BreeGal »

honestly I love Dan and what he does, but his merch so far (the lemony eggs poster and baking with Layton poster) aren't that visually appealing? idk, the lemony eggs one is slightly better, but something about the other one rubs me the wrong way, I wish it looked... better? no discredit to Chloe, since she drew it, just wish it was a bit different. The font is kinda eh in the speech bubbles, I think that's my main issue. That being said, I have preordered the book and bought a lemony eggs poster.

Stalker
Stalker

Post by 382939832 »

I don't understand how he makes enough money to live when he barely uploads on his channel, and they're not sponsored either? I know he's writing a book and he has some posters, but surely that wouldn't be enough to live on?

Oh my sea
Learner
Learner

Post by Oh my sea »

He's doing VEDJ which isn't really worth watching. There all just him being so pretentious which for some reason is now his branding. I gave up watching them after the first few, as this current Dan is just not interesting enough to keep up with. Even social blade says he's losing subscribers for pretty much every video he put out so far this month. shows that the content he is making is not working. It also suggests that at most he's making £1,200 which would cover his rent.

Post by Guest »

I'm new here, but I'd love to know people's opinions on Dan's tendency to co-opt not only queer aesthetics but also queer culture as a straight man. I'm not LGBTQ+, so it may not even be an issue to people who are, but I can't help but notice he does this a lot.

fighead
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fighead »

sugashoozdelete23 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:51 am
I'm new here, but I'd love to know people's opinions on Dan's tendency to co-opt not only queer aesthetics but also queer culture as a straight man. I'm not LGBTQ+, so it may not even be an issue to people who are, but I can't help but notice he does this a lot.
This is reaaally interesting because if he hadn't made that overly defensive video about how straight he is and how men can be camp and not be gay, I wouldn't pay as much attention and I'd think fuck it, nothing wrong with a non-gender conforming man but the fact he sooo forcefully denied it and acted offended at being asked if he was gay...

Post by Guest »

fighead wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm
sugashoozdelete23 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:51 am
This is reaaally interesting because if he hadn't made that overly defensive video about how straight he is and how men can be camp and not be gay, I wouldn't pay as much attention and I'd think fuck it, nothing wrong with a non-gender conforming man but the fact he sooo forcefully denied it and acted offended at being asked if he was gay...
I agree. My standpoint isn't coming from a place of "oh, he MUST be LGBTQ+ if he dresses like that/is interested in those things" because that just upholds outdated stereotypes about LGBTQ+ people and is generally quite problematic, but I do think he has a habit of treading on territory a little bit. From my perspective it sometimes comes across like he's trying to be a part of that community...

Post by Guest »

Heey everyone. I realize this thread may be totally dead but there’s something about Daniel’s content that I’d like to throw out there anyway. Just to vent. Firstly, I totally agree with the posts here wondering what he has actually been doing lately. I used to enjoy his content a while ago, when he did more vlog style stuff, or he had his own video series. These days I still occasionally check up on his channel and Instagram.

I’ve noticed that he’s been doing quite a lot of complaining lately on instagram about not knowing where to take his career, stressing about money, not being accepted by a management agency, videos that he really liked himself not getting a lot of views… it’s honestly getting kind of exhausting, and it got me thinking about what I think his main issue is.
I think it’s entitlement. It seems he just expects people to be interested in his channel, without offering much in return.

Lately, his content feels incredibly rehearsed. As in, it’s full of quippy jokes that he’s trying to pretend he thought of spontaneously, when he clearly thought them out long before. He has a habit, especially in his Instagram stories, of acting like he suddenly thought of something funny, and then ending the video in the middle of an incredibly fake laugh.

I think all of that illustrates that he is not comfortable sharing his personal life on youtube, or really opening up about his personal struggles. Instead all he does is make vague jokes about his life that give the impression he is being open. Which is totally fair, of course, he doesn’t need to be any more open than he wants to be. But then what does he expect people to be pulled in by? His channel isn’t based on a niche, some topic he can share a unique view on because of his expertise or life experience. He also isn’t one of those personality based youtubers/vloggers; like I said, he comes across very rehearsed and guarded. So then ultimately, he seems to just expect everyone to care about his opinion on things like the US electoral college (why??) and the Eurovision. Just because he is the one sharing the opinion. That reeks of entitlement to me.

The best example of that I can think of was his reaction to his video on marvel not doing very well. He said, on insta, that he was very disappointed it didn’t do well because he ‘tried so hard’ to explain to even non-marvel fans why marvel is good. And it made me think, what makes him think people should seek out his opinion on marvel movies? There are already sooo many interesting channels out there that consistently offer great analyses of pop culture. What makes him specifically the person who people should turn to for marvel analysis videos? But again, he seems to just feel entitled to people’s interest and views, and to be able to live off that.

So. That was my rant. This stuff has bothered me for a while, especially because I used to enjoy his content, and wanted I to get it off my chest. This seemed like the right place to do that.
I do hope he can figure it out though, he does have some talent, general knowledge, comedic timing, he’s good at editing… it’s like he has all the skills he needs, he just needs to do some real self-reflection and figure out who he is and where he wants to go.

Return to “The British Crew”