Razzmatazz
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jack and Conor Maynard

Post by Razzmatazz »

Disney_Wolf wrote:
halkatlaa wrote:shame he is off... not gonna bother watching it now.

If it's because off the tweets than I think its unfair, and I'm not saying that he should get away with saying those things online, but the fact is that two other contestants have said similar things on there twitters and they are still on there. kinda double standards.

if its because off the pictures he sent, its a totally different story!
was the fan underage or no?
Nothing more has been said on the fan front just that he's being accuse of sending an inappropriate message to a fan. No age of the fan has been given or any context/idea to what the message has said x
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jack ... s-11565983

Screenshots of the texts are here.
It was in 2011, she was 14 and he was 17.

Persephone_moon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Persephone_moon »

there is no "less offensive" way to use the Nword, and just because it's repeated in a rap song doesn't mean it's okay for white people to repeat it.
just. don't. say it.
because if you intend to use a racist slur in the same way black people are using it as a term for "friend" or "homie", then you're performing cultural appropriation. it's not your word to use.
so just STOP using it.
If you can't say anything nice, say something clever but devastating ;)

miserlou
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by miserlou »

Persephone_moon wrote:there is no "less offensive" way to use the Nword, and just because it's repeated in a rap song doesn't mean it's okay for white people to repeat it.
just. don't. say it.
because if you intend to use a racist slur in the same way black people are using it as a term for "friend" or "homie", then you're performing cultural appropriation. it's not your word to use.
so just STOP using it.
Exactly. Yes it’s used in rap songs and by black people to mean friend or homie, but people have always known that it has strong racist connotations and that non black people shouldn’t use it. People can try and hide behind false ignorance all they want but Jack (and anyone like Jack) was wrong for using it back then and they knew exactly what it meant when they did it. Saying all of that I don’t actually believe that he is racist.

shite+++
Debater
Debater

Post by shite+++ »

Persephone_moon wrote:
shite+++ wrote:I don't agree that he hasn't changed. I'm a year older than him and back when I was in school people were using the same homophobic slurs he said willy nilly like it was nothing. It may only be 6 years ago but things have actually dramatically changed and most wouldn't dare to say them nowadays.
racial and homophobic slurs weren't more "acceptable" in 2011, than they are now. Go ask anyone from a member of the LGBTQ community or any person of colour of any age, born in this century or last, and they would most definitely tell you that they would NOT like to be called that. Maybe he didn't have friends who weren't white or who were gay, but that doesn't excuse anyone using words like that. Just because you heard it in school, doesn't mean you need to repeat it. And no, the world hasn't "dramatically changed" in the last 6 years: what's changed is that voices that were marginalized by racial and homophonic slurs started to speak up. Besides, you don't need to be a person of colour or identify as LGBTQ to have any empathy towards someone who is different from you: would you like to be called names based on your skin colour and sexual orientation? No. then why would you, if you are a white cis-gender person think it ok to use derogatory terms to describe someone who's different. It's uneducated, insensitive and shows a complete lack of empathy, which btw, isn't a concept that just came about in 2017.
I really don't think that if you've ever had a real ounce of empathy for anyone's right to be themselves that you would use the words that he did.

Firstly, not once did I say it was ever acceptable to say homophobic slurs. I said people used to use them LIKE it meant nothing. Yes it was uneducated and offensive of people to do so, but just because someone said something 6 years ago, that does not mean they still think like that today.

'if you are a white cis-gender person think it ok to use derogatory terms to describe someone who's different. It's uneducated, insensitive and shows a complete lack of empathy' You're not assuming my identity here are you? :| But anyway, where exactly are you trying to go with this? Are you saying that only white cis-gender people can be racist or homophobic, because that is a stupid comment

azure_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by azure_ »

Persephone_moon wrote:
azure_ wrote:On the topic of the N word: I know it's a really big thing in America because of slavery, but as a European I genuinely did not know about the history behind the word in 2012 when I was a kid on Twitter. I said the N word too, because I saw it being used as a term of endearment, and I did not have a clue about the origin of the word. Jack used it as a term to mean "friend" too, which is how it was being used back then.
No, sorry you and jack are wrong. Only people who identify as black, or African American are allowed to use that term to mean "friend", "brother", "homie" or any other variant of that. White people should never use this word. end of argument.
Although, i do concede that in non-english countries the word doesn't have the same weight, the equivalent term in French has different connotations as well. I grew up in North America, speaking both English and French, so the definitions of the terms are pretty straightforward. Just to clarify I am Canadian, and our history of slavery is nowhere near as similar as the on-going racial scarring that defines America, but regardless, the N word is not a word I would EVER utter. I've lived in the UK as well, and i vacation often in the US, but i think people highly underestimate the similarity in racial prejudices between the US and the UK. just because the US has had a longer history of slavery doesn't negate the fact that slavery was invited by European (particularly British and french colonialism) forces. The UK is very racist, despite what some people like to think.
So Jack's use of the Nword is endemic of larger racial issues that are never addressed.
Just because you hear rappers referring to the word in songs doesn't make it ok for you to use. i would really commend any one watch the Netflix show, "Dear White People", it makes things a lot clearer in my opinion.
I'm definitely not saying it's okay to say the N word! I definitely would never use it again nowadays as I now know what it stands for, but the Dutch 'equivalent' of the word is not actually taboo and I did not know about the history of slavery in the US in 2012, so I used it. I don't know how education is in the UK but I'm pretty sure Jack wasn't too spectacular of a student so who knows how much he knew about it.

On the topic of those texts: There's currently two conflicting statements of the girl out there, one saying she did not feel harassed at all and it was all harmless, and one saying she did feel offended and harassed. There's also people saying the screenshots are fake. So let's wait this one out...

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

I've noticed many flaws with the text story as well to be honest. Like for example as you pointed out one claims the girl says it was all harmless and another saying that she's offended.
As well as the fact that these articles have claimed she was a big fan of his but how could she be a fan of someone who was never in the public eye back then (keep in mind this was before Conor was even that much in the eye). Jack was just a 16/17 year old in high school.

And as for the screenshots to me personally they do look fake mostly because
1) his profile picture is different in both screenshots
2) the time and battery percentage is also different
3) (i don't know how true this one is because I don't remember seeing it, it was pointed out to me by someone else) the network in both screenshots are also different, one has 4g and the other doesn't.

And how this is came out now (along with the nudes and tweets) all just seem really convenient to me. But I don't know, I'm not an expert obviously. It's just there are definitely some holes in the story. If anyone can fill them in I'd be happy to listen :rofl: x

miserlou
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by miserlou »

^ I agree and I wouldn't put it past Gleam to fake something like this, get publicity for Jack and for YouTubers.
1) It makes no sense to me that the girl would sit on these screenshots for so long if they were real - there have been plenty of times when she could've easily leaked them before now.
2) She's asked to remain anonymous or maybe she doesn't really exsist
3) She was underage at the time but she specifically says that she doesn't think Jack knew that.

All the tweets and Facebook comments I've seen have been defending Jack. I honestly think Gleam were banking on this kind of response. They send Jack into the jungle, get publicity for him and for YouTube. This "scandal" happens and Jack gets pulled out of the jungle, because to me it sounds like his management pulled him out rather than ITV kicked him out. He still gets paid (even if it's not the full salary) and they still get their promo. Even if the reaction had been bad they could've just said the screenshots were fake, which they could back up by the fact that the screenshots are such bad quality.

That's just my take on it, but I have been off sick all week watching conspiracy theory videos so who knows ...

halkatlaa
Debater
Debater

Post by halkatlaa »

[youtube][/youtube]

I actually think this is a valid apology!
Last edited by halkatlaa on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icelandic so sorry for spelling mistakes :D

EST
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by EST »

[youtube][/youtube]

Finally, a response. I suspect he had to wait for Gleam to approve the script. To summarise the video: "I was young and stupid, sorry."

It's disgusting that he told a 14-year-old she was an "ugly freak" because she wouldn't send him photos. From the article I read, I understand he was 17 and her "age may not have been known to the YouTuber at the time".
I wouldn't put it past Gleam to fake something like this, get publicity for Jack and for YouTubers.
This is certainly an interesting theory, but doesn't make any sense to me. If the aim of going into the jungle was to gain exposure and boost his earnings (now and in future) then I think it's fair to say it hasn't quite worked out how he hoped it would...regardless of what people think about the reason/s for him being removed from the show, it seems he won't get paid for it and the negative publicity is sure to put brands off working with him in future, because he's clearly a liability.

elizabethhtaylor
Learner
Learner

Post by elizabethhtaylor »

at least he wasn't making dumbass excuses in the apology video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

I actually feel like it was a good and genuine apology tbh.

As to the theory, I wouldn't put anything past gleam tbh. They must've realised how much attention Zoe got when things came out about her.

But I personally just think there is something weird about the whole thing and the timing of it all and the weird quality of the photos as well as the inconsistencies.

As for Jack not getting paid, he will most likely get some pay for it. People who have been in the show before but had an early leave still got paid, maybe not their full amount but they got some pay for their troubles. So I imagine he'd get something.

And if the hypothetical thing about gleam being behind this I really hope they let Jack know because damn imagine doing that behind him and him being like wtf is going on. But then again imagine him giving the get go to potentially ruin his career. It's definitely a weird story that's just got a lot of holes in it to me.

Is it bad that I'll still watch his videos and stuff? :rofl:

azure_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by azure_ »

The video only seems to be about the tweets though, and not about those messages to the girl? I wonder if he'll post more about that?

Also, I do agree that everything seemed to suddenly fall down at the same time. Those tweets, the messages, and some kind of leaking of his nudes (pretty sure those have been out there for a while, but the press is suddenly reporting on them now), they all came out in the same day or two, which is a bit strange. Like some journalist really went out of their way to fck things up for him.

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

azure_ wrote:The video only seems to be about the tweets though, and not about those messages to the girl? I wonder if he'll post more about that?

Also, I do agree that everything seemed to suddenly fall down at the same time. Those tweets, the messages, and some kind of leaking of his nudes (pretty sure those have been out there for a while, but the press is suddenly reporting on them now), they all came out in the same day or two, which is a bit strange. Like some journalist really went out of their way to fck things up for him.
Dan Wooten would be the reporter that released the tweets, even though he himself had made horrible comments about anorexia, calling females sluts and other names and using the R word (when he was an adult, nevermind a child). And he works for the paper that has released all of the stories about Jack so he could *possible* be behind the rest.

As for him not addressing it directly it could fall under the things he said he regrets or he just didn't address it at all because the whole thing might've been faked to begin with. It's such an awkward thing because if he goes out and says the messages are fake, he will have no proof just his word even if he was telling the truth. Maybe the questionable holes and weird screenshots will play apart in it though.

I don't think this is how he imagine he'd be spending his birthday huh.

pseudonyme
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pseudonyme »

On his apology video, I don't like that he made a big emphasis on "don't put anything online that you wouldn't say to your mum" as if it's fine to say in real life. At the same time though, he did make it clear that the shit he said was unacceptable/disgusting/horrible and that he's grown enough to realize it, so I hope that the emphasis meant more "I fucked up and it's come back to bite me in the ass even after I realized I was wrong and shitty" and not "I fucked up and got caught." I really hope those words aren't shit he still says today, ugh.

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

It came across to me more of a I fucked up and it came back to bite me, the mum thing is just a saying that's tossed around.

As for the messages thing I don't know how to post screenshots (if anyone can help it would be very appreciated)
But this is the statement that the girl has apparently given (I say apparently because I'm still convinced this whole story is fake, I'm sorry)

Speaking about the incident, the girl, now 20, said: “He was 16, I was 14. It was something that happens to everyone.

“I never once felt harassed. We were kids, it’s not once harmed me at all in any way. It’s in the past. It is a serious allegation to make, but you’re a kid, you make mistakes.

“He didn’t know how old I was, and I didn’t know how old he was at the time. I cannot stress enough that the messages were harmless.”

If you want to see the actual article it's on the sun (obviously, it's them that has wrote all the articles about him :rofl: )

meowelseh
Informer
Informer

Post by meowelseh »

the apology vid seemed v genuine, i'm impressed (especially compared to zoe's the other week)
i'm not convinced by this story about the girl/nudes, even less so that the only sources that seem to have picked it up are the daily mail and the sun

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

What do you mean? The sun and daily mail are TOTALLY reliable sources, no? :rofl:

But yeah, I'm definitely not convinced about the story either as I've been very vocal about in my recent posts.

But can we take a moment to acknowledge that the guy who brought all of this out in the first place and that put the hate Jack Maynard thing out on Jack in the first place is promoting a Stop Funding Hate thing... I'm sorry I just found the irony/hypocrisy really funny there x

Persephone_moon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Persephone_moon »

shite+++ wrote:
Persephone_moon wrote:
shite+++ wrote:I don't agree that he hasn't changed. I'm a year older than him and back when I was in school people were using the same homophobic slurs he said willy nilly like it was nothing. It may only be 6 years ago but things have actually dramatically changed and most wouldn't dare to say them nowadays.
racial and homophobic slurs weren't more "acceptable" in 2011, than they are now. Go ask anyone from a member of the LGBTQ community or any person of colour of any age, born in this century or last, and they would most definitely tell you that they would NOT like to be called that. Maybe he didn't have friends who weren't white or who were gay, but that doesn't excuse anyone using words like that. Just because you heard it in school, doesn't mean you need to repeat it. And no, the world hasn't "dramatically changed" in the last 6 years: what's changed is that voices that were marginalized by racial and homophonic slurs started to speak up. Besides, you don't need to be a person of colour or identify as LGBTQ to have any empathy towards someone who is different from you: would you like to be called names based on your skin colour and sexual orientation? No. then why would you, if you are a white cis-gender person think it ok to use derogatory terms to describe someone who's different. It's uneducated, insensitive and shows a complete lack of empathy, which btw, isn't a concept that just came about in 2017.
I really don't think that if you've ever had a real ounce of empathy for anyone's right to be themselves that you would use the words that he did.

Firstly, not once did I say it was ever acceptable to say homophobic slurs. I said people used to use them LIKE it meant nothing. Yes it was uneducated and offensive of people to do so, but just because someone said something 6 years ago, that does not mean they still think like that today.

'if you are a white cis-gender person think it ok to use derogatory terms to describe someone who's different. It's uneducated, insensitive and shows a complete lack of empathy' You're not assuming my identity here are you? :| But anyway, where exactly are you trying to go with this? Are you saying that only white cis-gender people can be racist or homophobic, because that is a stupid comment
no, not all, I would never presume to know what colour/sexual orientation you identify as. I obviously wasn't clear enough in my original post, and I apologize. I merely meant "you" as a general statement like " if one were such and such thing" . From what I understand, Jack didn't use racial and homophobic slurs in the same tweet, i should have made that more clear. and obviously you don't have to be white or cis-gender to be racist or homophobic, I'm not a complete idiot, so I'll thank you for not misinterpreting my words.
we can agree to disagree about jacks "intent" when using those words back when he did, but I just don't think willful ignorance excuses people when they spread hate and intolerance, and unfortunately, the words he used were invented and used as a specific tool to harm people. he didn't use a homophobic slur as a means to say "friend" as he did a racial slur, which just further proves his ignorance on both terms.
And just because people hear terms like that used at school and don't think twice about their impact shows a whole level of privilege that needs to addressed.
If you can't say anything nice, say something clever but devastating ;)

Post by Guest »

Unfortunately -- or unfortunately for the perpetually offended -- living in a melting pot of a culture that we do in the western world, pop culture is also a part of that melting pot and we are exposed to the lexicon of different groups that we interact with or like. If you think white kids aren't n-wording it up behind closed doors when their favorite rap song is on, you're daft. And as a black person -- not that this makes me a subject matter expert of speaker of all black people or everything black -- I don't give two craps about a non-black person saying the n-word because it is not a word I give any agency to... and guess what? Not saying it doesn't make you any less of a racist person if you are racist or make you racist for saying it when you are not.

I don't understand how a word that was once derogatory but has now been adapted to mean something of endearment (and not all the time is it used endearingly) suddenly loses that context when a non-black person says it with the same endearment or without malice. My stance is simple: everyone say it or no one say it. If you really want to remove the sting or venom from words, dilute them so that they lose all remnants of their origin. Granted, my opinion is not a welcomed one overall, but I have never cared about being liked or conforming to groupthink. I just don't get seeing someone who isn't even black acting extra offended over something that has no effect in any way on their life. There are guns in the world... I mean, guns. Words can hurt, but let's calm the hell down, huh?

LauraMongeau
Learner
Learner

Post by LauraMongeau »

I do feel sorry for Jack. I'm not excusing what he did at the time but it is clear he has changed, not just from his apology videos but from his current tweets and videos. Everyone has said stuff they would later regret, whether it be something racist, sexist, homophobic, or something else. I can't speak for POC but as a part of the LGBT I know that people can change and grow, and as minorities and those at a social disadvantage have been given voices/platforms, other people (like Jack) can mature and have a changed perspective (I don't think he was ever proper racist or homophobic but his perception of words that can and cant be used has changed). Anyone judging him for what he said on twitter when he thought it would solely reach his friends, are hypocritical. Everyone has said shitty stuff in the past. There are much bigger issues than someone saying something douchey 5 years ago when they were just a kid. How about we focus on police brutality in America or all the countries that have illegalised homosexuality and some that even punish it with the death sentence? But sure someone that said something 5 years ago is the issue. If he had made those tweets recently itd be another story, but it is clear he has changed. Find someone that is still racist and sexist to attack.
And this is all coming from someone who doesnt even like Jack very much
Bye bitch :love2:

Return to “The British Crew”