Josh Pieters

hazh
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Josh Pieters

Post by hazh »

Caspar's friend Josh has just joined Gleam Futures. He's been making videos for only four months but already has nearly a quarter of a million subscribers! I certainly don't think his videos are bad - but his channel just shows that Youtube is now all about who you know....

Thoughts? :)

halkatlaa
Debater
Debater

Re: Josh Pieters

Post by halkatlaa »

He is in the same category as Oli for me.. he is just there and I don't really care at all about him..

I like his video's with Jack Maynard tho! I'm developing a crush on him! <3
Icelandic so sorry for spelling mistakes :D

grumpysod
Talker
Talker

Post by grumpysod »

Well he is friends with the popular boys isn't he? So he is going to get some reflected glory as the 250k subs proves.

I don't see him being anywhere near as big as Joe or Caspar because his personality is somewhat average in front of the camera and he isn't as good looking. Don't get me wrong he isn't ugly but the fan girls aren't going to swoon over him like they do the other boys.

Lets be honest success for youtube vloggers is about filling some kind of niche or being exceptionally cute and appealing to 12 year old girls. Josh just doesn't tick either box. He is very much like Oli White or Pointlesstwat's mate MynameisChai.... a nice enough guy but ultimately a bit dull.

Just goes to prove youtube is all about who hang around with. There are thousands of wannabe "content creators" who churn out reasonably well produced 'me too' content but never get more than a few thousand subs....... yet a few hangers on like Josh and Oli can hit it big just through knowing the right people.

UnderTheOcean
Lurker
Lurker

Post by UnderTheOcean »

I find his videos boring. Nothing special

lovelyaura
Debater
Debater

Post by lovelyaura »

Some of his videos were actually funny but that's it's really otherwise he's pretty dull. All the big Youtubers have a personality, something that's makes them special but literally everyone knows he's just doing it because of Caspar and thought it's an easy job to make money to live in London

halkatlaa
Debater
Debater

Post by halkatlaa »

I liked his new video.. it had a good message! :tu:
Icelandic so sorry for spelling mistakes :D

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

My general rule of thumb for judging these sort of YouTubers who get their start off of their famous friends is - if this person was just some random YouTuber I bumped into, would I enjoy them?

Josh? Dear god no. He has the charisma of a cardboard box; he's dull, plain and you just want to put him away in the basement with all the other boxes once you're done with his video.

httpspace
Lurker
Lurker

Post by httpspace »

holy fuck, I'm watching his new video and he just compared being made fun of for having red hair to being made fun of because of skin color????

and i thought he wasn't too bad yikes

ClipClap
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ClipClap »

He's way too awkward and it doesn't really work for me.

That said I think he works well in group situations where someone else does the video and he appears with one or more others. Like some of the pranks Joe did or the phone video.
I usually use my phone - autocorrect (Swype) mistakes are unintentional.

hazh
Informer
Informer

Post by hazh »

httpspace wrote:holy fuck, I'm watching his new video and he just compared being made fun of for having red hair to being made fun of because of skin color????

Haha. When I watched his video - which I thought was very helpful and touched upon an important point - I just knew that certain people would take it this way. :FU: You're completely twisting what he was saying. He was pointing out that we (hopefully) condemn prejudice on the basis of skin colour and so we should likewise condemn prejudice on the basis of hair colour. It is fundamentally the same concept; both traits are equally meaningless.

He explicitly acknowledged that racism has a long history and he wasn't trying to minimise that. As a South African, I'm sure he's very aware of this...

(As an aside, I feel like some people overlook the basic fact that racism is wrong at a level because judging a person just because of their physical appearance is an unpleasant, ignorant thing to do. Whether that is their hair colour, skin colour, height, or any other part of a person's appearance they have no control over. The long history and institutional racism just makes that particular prejudice all the more poignant and harmful. )

httpspace
Lurker
Lurker

Post by httpspace »

hazh wrote:
httpspace wrote:holy fuck, I'm watching his new video and he just compared being made fun of for having red hair to being made fun of because of skin color????

Haha. When I watched his video - which I thought was very helpful and touched upon an important point - I just knew that certain people would take it this way. :FU: You're completely twisting what he was saying. He was pointing out that we (hopefully) condemn prejudice on the basis of skin colour and so we should likewise condemn prejudice on the basis of hair colour. It is fundamentally the same concept; both traits are equally meaningless.

He explicitly acknowledged that racism has a long history and he wasn't trying to minimise that. As a South African, I'm sure he's very aware of this...

(As an aside, I feel like some people overlook the basic fact that racism is wrong at a level because judging a person just because of their physical appearance is an unpleasant, ignorant thing to do. Whether that is their hair colour, skin colour, height, or any other part of a person's appearance they have no control over. The long history and institutional racism just makes that particular prejudice all the more poignant and harmful. )
Ahh alright!! I stopped watching after he had said that to be honest lmao. I'll try to watch the rest of the video later. From what you've said it doesn't sound so bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

x

lemonflamingo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lemonflamingo »

http://joshuapieters.tumblr.com/post/14 ... huapieters
http://joshuapieters.tumblr.com/post/14 ... ted_post=1

Apparently he thinks he is in a position to start critiquing successful youtubers? :| :rofl: (pretty sure this is his actual tumblr)

marablake
Learner
Learner

Post by marablake »

lemonflamingo wrote:http://joshuapieters.tumblr.com/post/14 ... huapieters
http://joshuapieters.tumblr.com/post/14 ... ted_post=1

Apparently he thinks he is in a position to start critiquing successful youtubers? :| :rofl: (pretty sure this is his actual tumblr)
i dont think this is his blog hahahah it seems too memey n not really like his humour.
im like 99% certain it's just a troll but it would be kinda funny if it really was him

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

He's so boring, seriously I don't even want to give my opinions about him... :roll:

knee_svcks
Informer
Informer

Post by knee_svcks »

I actually really like Josh---granted I've only seen him in other people's videos/him with another guest on his channel, but he seems pretty harmless and quite funny when he's with others.

And to each his own, but comparing him to a lazy simpleton like Alfie is a bit much. And Sam Pepper? Really?

ClipClap
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ClipClap »

I've watched most of his videos now and he's VERY hit and miss. I'd say a third made me laugh or I enjoyed them and two thirds made me cringe and never want to watch him again.

He wouldn't have more than a few hundred subs without Joe and Caspar and appearing in their content. He wouldn't have the equipment if it wasn't for Oli.

BUT, that's how life often works, I don't begrudge him that, it's what he makes of it that matters. I mean look at Mynameischai, he never got anywhere despite going to conventions and having an agency and ages ago appearing on some well known YouTuber's channels. Josh may or may not bake it, time will tell..

Pariszai
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Pariszai »

I've just recently started watching this whole group (I used to only watch Joe -still can't face Caspar though) and Josh simply knows the right people and would have, in my opinion, zero chance of making it as a successful youtuber if it wasn't for his connections to Caspar and Conor.
He's dull, so awkward to watch and even just listen to and has no charisma.

Good job on riding those coattails though, Pieters :tu: I don't blame you at all.

ClipClap
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ClipClap »

Pariszai wrote:still can't face Caspar though
I know not the thread for it, but I'm curious - how come?

Pariszai
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Pariszai »

ClipClap wrote:
Pariszai wrote:still can't face Caspar though
I know not the thread for it, but I'm curious - how come?
I just don't think i get his sense of humour. Whenever I see him in other peoples videos I just find him to be completely unfunny and a nuisance, and I'll be the first to admit that I have a childish and silly sense of humour.
Granted though, because of this I've never actually watched one of his own videos so I might be completely off!

Return to “The British Crew”