Caspar Lee

Re: Caspar Lee

Post by Guest »

BONTBFW wrote:
pseudonyme wrote:
BONTBFW wrote: I just think youtubers get more shit for the same things others of their caliber do. Harry got shit for his t-shirts from the media, mainly because he was selling extra for larger sized t-shirts. Most times with mainstream celebrities fans usually complain about the prices, but the media usually don't pick up on it. With celebs who put their names on these things, attend the same meetings about these things, are literally directors in companies controlling their merch - "Oh it's their management!". For some reason with youtubers, they're always fully to blame? Why? I personally think a lot of people don't like change, and they don't like that youtubers and ~influencers are the new celebs, so they tear them down quicker.

Zoe definitely made a mistake with that calendar pricing, but I just don't for a second believe she would've priced it at that if this was 100% on her own. I think if she was on her own, she would've made a standard calendar at the pricing of others she's seen when she grew up. Just like other celebrities with overpriced things, their management whose biggest interest is making as much money as possible (I mean can't fault them entirely, it's their job. They just need to be smart about it) has a huge influence on these pricing decisions.

Zoe definitely needed to be called out about the calendar, but people just took it too far for me. I just can't hop on that train.
I don't know, I feel like there is a difference between youtubers and other celebrities. Celebrities sell a lot of things—some sell music, some sell character roles/acting, some sell beauty "goals." What do youtubers (particularly vloggers) sell? Themselves. They sell the (if not false, certainly not completely true) image of themselves as the perky friendly/quirky/nerdy/etc. but attractive girl/boy next door who is your friend and BFF. They sell the illusion of friendship and closeness.

Should celebrities screw over their fans with over priced merch? Obviously they shouldn't, it's a dick move. But isn't it way worse when people who act like their fans' BFF do it? "I love my fans so much," "the merch is for you guys" they say, constantly giving off the impression of being fans' friends, and then treat them like little ATM machines who whine until their parents dispense money. Zoe's crappy advent calendar is just so ridiculous, and it isn't the first time she's put out this type of money-grubbing product (the disastrous Hello World and the lazy PB x SL merch to name the recents), so it's increasingly difficult to give her/them the benefit of doubt.

Sorry Caspar, I don't give a damn how well you know Zoe and how sweet she is in life and how positive you think everyone should be when ya'll sit on mountains of cash siphoned from children and their hassled parents—if she keeps doing crappy things, I'm going to start calling her a crappy person. One's a chance, two's a coincidence, three times is a pattern man.
Youtubers are a form of entertainment, just like someone on a TV show is. Every celebrity and youtuber sells themselves. They all have a brand. One of the most popular brands with celebrities is "I'm just a normal person", especially among celebrities aimed at teens. This isn't some brand new strategy. Yet again though, youtubers get more shit for it. I think youtubers and mainstream celebrities connect more than people would like to admit imo.
But they aren't normal people... celebrities are selling an image of themselves in film, movies, television shows... they are playing a role and people become attached to the person playing said role, but that is a fantasy. The cast members of Stranger Things aren't their characters, and they don't advertise to people that this is who they are, so no offense, but there IS a huge layer between YouTubers and celebrities. YouTubers are in more intimate settings and create a persona that wants to be your friend but advertises it as real. Do you really think Zoella puts on that phony act of being bubbly and kind because she knows her fans realize it's fake? Of course not... she uses their one-sided friendship to sell them things because they feel that it will make her like them, especially when they tweet pictures of themselves buying her stuff.

So yes, celebrities have a brand, but by far and large, their brand is not selling themselves in the same way that YouTubers do, especially since -- hello? Celebrities have OLDER demographics that will buy good products and will discern between overpriced crap and genuinely good products (i.e. Jessica Alba's Honest Company empire) whereas YouTubers have overwhelmingly younger fanbases that will still buy crap because it's from their favorites. So YouTubers not only deserve more shit for it, but they actually get less shit because YouTube is still this isolated little world from the mainstream whereas celebrities can have their names plastered all over the world in minutes and on the news.

I'd say reality TV stars and YouTubers have more in common. But your Zoellas and your Jennifer Lawrences? No

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Post by LadyBugB »

Caspar should never lend his opinion on a controversial topic ever unless he's willing to do research and put together strong valid arguments. His defending of Zoe was all over the place, very weak with so many holes, it's a wonder why he posted it. For views most likely but I can tell he was never one who is good at debate unlike Josh. And why does he have so much spit gathered at the corner of his mouth when he talks, gross.

BONTBFW
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by BONTBFW »

JuniperJones wrote:
BONTBFW wrote:
pseudonyme wrote:
BONTBFW wrote: I just think youtubers get more shit for the same things others of their caliber do. Harry got shit for his t-shirts from the media, mainly because he was selling extra for larger sized t-shirts. Most times with mainstream celebrities fans usually complain about the prices, but the media usually don't pick up on it. With celebs who put their names on these things, attend the same meetings about these things, are literally directors in companies controlling their merch - "Oh it's their management!". For some reason with youtubers, they're always fully to blame? Why? I personally think a lot of people don't like change, and they don't like that youtubers and ~influencers are the new celebs, so they tear them down quicker.

Zoe definitely made a mistake with that calendar pricing, but I just don't for a second believe she would've priced it at that if this was 100% on her own. I think if she was on her own, she would've made a standard calendar at the pricing of others she's seen when she grew up. Just like other celebrities with overpriced things, their management whose biggest interest is making as much money as possible (I mean can't fault them entirely, it's their job. They just need to be smart about it) has a huge influence on these pricing decisions.

Zoe definitely needed to be called out about the calendar, but people just took it too far for me. I just can't hop on that train.
I don't know, I feel like there is a difference between youtubers and other celebrities. Celebrities sell a lot of things—some sell music, some sell character roles/acting, some sell beauty "goals." What do youtubers (particularly vloggers) sell? Themselves. They sell the (if not false, certainly not completely true) image of themselves as the perky friendly/quirky/nerdy/etc. but attractive girl/boy next door who is your friend and BFF. They sell the illusion of friendship and closeness.

Should celebrities screw over their fans with over priced merch? Obviously they shouldn't, it's a dick move. But isn't it way worse when people who act like their fans' BFF do it? "I love my fans so much," "the merch is for you guys" they say, constantly giving off the impression of being fans' friends, and then treat them like little ATM machines who whine until their parents dispense money. Zoe's crappy advent calendar is just so ridiculous, and it isn't the first time she's put out this type of money-grubbing product (the disastrous Hello World and the lazy PB x SL merch to name the recents), so it's increasingly difficult to give her/them the benefit of doubt.

Sorry Caspar, I don't give a damn how well you know Zoe and how sweet she is in life and how positive you think everyone should be when ya'll sit on mountains of cash siphoned from children and their hassled parents—if she keeps doing crappy things, I'm going to start calling her a crappy person. One's a chance, two's a coincidence, three times is a pattern man.
Youtubers are a form of entertainment, just like someone on a TV show is. Every celebrity and youtuber sells themselves. They all have a brand. One of the most popular brands with celebrities is "I'm just a normal person", especially among celebrities aimed at teens. This isn't some brand new strategy. Yet again though, youtubers get more shit for it. I think youtubers and mainstream celebrities connect more than people would like to admit imo.
But they aren't normal people... celebrities are selling an image of themselves in film, movies, television shows... they are playing a role and people become attached to the person playing said role, but that is a fantasy. The cast members of Stranger Things aren't their characters, and they don't advertise to people that this is who they are, so no offense, but there IS a huge layer between YouTubers and celebrities. YouTubers are in more intimate settings and create a persona that wants to be your friend but advertises it as real. Do you really think Zoella puts on that phony act of being bubbly and kind because she knows her fans realize it's fake? Of course not... she uses their one-sided friendship to sell them things because they feel that it will make her like them, especially when they tweet pictures of themselves buying her stuff.

So yes, celebrities have a brand, but by far and large, their brand is not selling themselves in the same way that YouTubers do, especially since -- hello? Celebrities have OLDER demographics that will buy good products and will discern between overpriced crap and genuinely good products (i.e. Jessica Alba's Honest Company empire) whereas YouTubers have overwhelmingly younger fanbases that will still buy crap because it's from their favorites. So YouTubers not only deserve more shit for it, but they actually get less shit because YouTube is still this isolated little world from the mainstream whereas celebrities can have their names plastered all over the world in minutes and on the news.

I'd say reality TV stars and YouTubers have more in common. But your Zoellas and your Jennifer Lawrences? No
I said especially among celebrities aimed at teens. Yes youtubers are more intimate, but it's really not that much different. The go to way to sell things to teens and younger is that "we're just like you" "we have a relationship with our fans" approach. Youtubers didn't just randomly sprout this branding. The only thing different is youtubers are more accessible.

kimdoyeon
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kimdoyeon »

BONTBFW wrote:
JuniperJones wrote:
BONTBFW wrote:
pseudonyme wrote:

I said especially among celebrities aimed at teens. Yes youtubers are more intimate, but it's really not that much different. The go to way to sell things to teens and younger is that "we're just like you" "we have a relationship with our fans" tactic.
i agree, how would you know that whatever personality a celebrity or singer shows on a camera is their true personality? jennifer lawrence is 'known' to be quirky, and relatable to many people, but how would you know if she isn't faking it? no offence, i do love her. but it's just funny how people thinks most youtubers are faking an image but they dont doubt celebrities' images? most celebrities fake a good image to gain more fans but many of them get whine up in scandals and shit too. don't singers and celebrities say things like "i love my fans" too?

i actually feel bad for zoe, it feels like everyone who is making a video to mock at her calendar or 'apology' is just trying to ride on the topic to gain more fans and i think that's really shallow. if you're that good in churning out good content, you dont have to pull someone down to bring yourself up. i think caspar made a few good points in his video, and if he says zoe is a nice person, idk why we have any reasons to not believe him? i wouldn't trust him if he was alfie but i dont think caspar has anything to gain by complimenting zoe. :?

Post by Guest »

Okay, well then in the specific case of celebrities aimed towards teens, you're right. Your Kylie Jenners, your Bella Thornes (I see her name a lot but I don't know who the hell that is) do sell these images of themselves to their tween base when it's probably nothing like who they really are. But, I don't have an ounce of sympathy for Zoella or any other YouTuber that gets caught up in crap like this because they don't get to put themselves out there as these approachable friends to their fans and then pull themselves back when it gets too dicey, like overpriced calendars. I'm not buying her lack of input as it is, namely because even if she didn't set the price, she sure as hell was taking her cut of the sales, so it's not like she would have said anything if there wouldn't have been such a stink raised. I would respect it more if Gleam and its subsidiaries weren't obvious quick cash grabs that aim at just splashing the faces of their stars on merchandise made in bulk at cheap rates... as it is, for Zoe to say she spent a year on that calendar is an obvious lie.

And Jennifer Lawrence wasn't that great of an example on my end because she appeals to a wider age range... and is an Oscar winner.

tctp
Informer
Informer

Post by tctp »

I agree that people were especially mean to zoe, but mainstream celebrities get lots of unfair hate too. people shit on bella thorne for sport. jennifer lawrence said something vaguely anti-trump, and people made up headlines about how she thinks trump caused global warming and called her terrible things. everything taylor swift does gets criticized because of a few mistakes she made years ago. someone admitted that they made up a story about gal gadot being horrible to them, but now people spread the fake story around like it's real and attack her. traditional celebrities have it just as bad as youtubers. that doesn't make it right, obviously, but i get so frustrated by this claim that they only get hate because they're youtubers.

i'm frustrated that whenever a youtuber does something wrong, they have no control over it, but when everything is going well with their brand, we're supposed to believe it's all because of them. caspar says that tons of people are employed by youtubers (which is ridiculous because as people have said, books would still be published and delivered without youtuber books. you didn't save that entire industry.), but he also says that youtubers have zero control in pricing? you're either savvy entrepreneurs or you're not.

kimdoyeon
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kimdoyeon »

tctp wrote:I agree that people were especially mean to zoe, but mainstream celebrities get lots of unfair hate too. people shit on bella thorne for sport. jennifer lawrence said something vaguely anti-trump, and people made up headlines about how she thinks trump caused global warming and called her terrible things. everything taylor swift does gets criticized because of a few mistakes she made years ago. someone admitted that they made up a story about gal gadot being horrible to them, but now people spread the fake story around like it's real and attack her. traditional celebrities have it just as bad as youtubers. that doesn't make it right, obviously, but i get so frustrated by this claim that they only get hate because they're youtubers.

i'm frustrated that whenever a youtuber does something wrong, they have no control over it, but when everything is going well with their brand, we're supposed to believe it's all because of them. caspar says that tons of people are employed by youtubers (which is ridiculous because as people have said, books would still be published and delivered without youtuber books. you didn't save that entire industry.), but he also says that youtubers have zero control in pricing? you're either savvy entrepreneurs or you're not.
^i agree, it's like pushing all the blames away when it's not in their favour, i just dont know why they cant admit that it's somehow zoe's fault. i honestly believe that zoe doesn't have a control in pricing because zoella beauty/lifestyle is not exactly her own company, it's her brand, but she has a management and a team, so imo she's more of an ambassador and like what she said, she's more of the ~creative~ person in the company who simply designs and picks the products. i dont think she's doing it for the money either because let's be real here, she's earning more than enough on her affiliate links and youtube alone, she can charge $5 for the calendar and it probably wouldn't make a difference to her. but i must say that the calendar was indeed crap and her response to it was even crappier. people obviously bought it because it had her name on it but all she did was push the blame to boots which imo was very irresponsible.

BONTBFW
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BONTBFW »

His skin has been consistently bad recently with so much spots, and he looks tired. Earlier this year his skin was clear and he looked healthy. He should cut down on the partying, clearly it's starting to catch up to him.

binlova
Informer
Informer

Post by binlova »

interesting on his insta story to see all the people at the influener dinner?! looks like a few girls and KSI is there. Wonder who that girl he is with with brown hair is... (i like how no one really speculates about it being his girlfriend unless she is blonde)

binlova
Informer
Informer

Post by binlova »

did he already delete his day 1 vlogmas already?!

BONTBFW
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BONTBFW »

binlova wrote:did he already delete his day 1 vlogmas already?!
I knew he wouldn't complete it, but only 1 Day? :lol:
It's funny cause I found that vlogmas vlog more enjoyable than anything recently on his main channel. He should consider doing more vlogging on there.

binlova
Informer
Informer

Post by binlova »

BONTBFW wrote:
It's funny cause I found that vlogmas vlog more enjoyable than anything recently on his main channel. He should consider doing more vlogging on there.
why delete that single vlog?! strange

Riz
Informer
Informer

Post by Riz »

binlova wrote:interesting on his insta story to see all the people at the influener dinner?! looks like a few girls and KSI is there. Wonder who that girl he is with with brown hair is... (i like how no one really speculates about it being his girlfriend unless she is blonde)
Lmao :rofl:

Was it Eva, the girl from the tinder vid?

BONTBFW
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BONTBFW »

binlova wrote:
BONTBFW wrote:
why delete that single vlog?! strange
No clue. He seems to be continuing with vlogmas as well. Maybe he'll put it back up.
Riz wrote:
binlova wrote:interesting on his insta story to see all the people at the influener dinner?! looks like a few girls and KSI is there. Wonder who that girl he is with with brown hair is... (i like how no one really speculates about it being his girlfriend unless she is blonde)
Lmao :rofl:

Was it Eva, the girl from the tinder vid?
No it wasn't. It was a girl called Santa, according to his vlog she's gonna be in a new video.

binlova
Informer
Informer

Post by binlova »

Just watched his nick crompton interview after seeing the tweets saying how he wants to show a different side of people etc...
there are was literally nothing interesting in that video, i could watch 3 of team 10 videos and probably find out the same shit.
Obviously nick doesn't comment on much because he doesn't want to start that much trouble but really not interesting.

teenycattiny
Lurker
Lurker

Post by teenycattiny »

Who is this Santa girl thou? There's a photo of caspar and her in ascot back in july and they look quite couple-y BUT SHE ISN'T BLONDE!
Also, he really should've stayed out of the zoella mess.

BONTBFW
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BONTBFW »

teenycattiny wrote:Who is this Santa girl thou? There's a photo of caspar and her in ascot back in july and they look quite couple-y BUT SHE ISN'T BLONDE!
Well from the video I can see why that didn't go anywhere. Zero romantic chemistry.

tctp
Informer
Informer

Post by tctp »

BONTBFW wrote:
teenycattiny wrote:Who is this Santa girl thou? There's a photo of caspar and her in ascot back in july and they look quite couple-y BUT SHE ISN'T BLONDE!
Well from the video I can see why that didn't go anywhere. Zero romantic chemistry.
yeah, i don't like her much. i'm not sure what it is. maybe she just seems too into herself or something... she's probably a nice girl though, what do i know

LauraMongeau
Learner
Learner

Post by LauraMongeau »

It's on private but I think her instagram is @santaagolli (she hasn't followed me yet). And in her bio she links a website that can enter you into a competition to win a bunch of stuff like a house, legal fees, car insurance, etc... weird stuff that aren't normally part of competitions. I'm wondering if she's a creator or investor or something?
Also it's funny we assume she's not a thing with Caspar because she's brunette when he could easily be reaching out of his comfort zone if he got to know and like her, but that would be unusual for Caspar because have we EVER seen him date/have a thing with anyone besides blondes?
Bye bitch :love2:

tctp
Informer
Informer

Post by tctp »

LauraMongeau wrote:It's on private but I think her instagram is @santaagolli (she hasn't followed me yet). And in her bio she links a website that can enter you into a competition to win a bunch of stuff like a house, legal fees, car insurance, etc... weird stuff that aren't normally part of competitions. I'm wondering if she's a creator or investor or something?
Also it's funny we assume she's not a thing with Caspar because she's brunette when he could easily be reaching out of his comfort zone if he got to know and like her, but that would be unusual for Caspar because have we EVER seen him date/have a thing with anyone besides blondes?
yeah, the "win a mansion" thing is her company. also she must have just made her insta private. i think i was looking through it either yesterday or the day before.

Return to “The British Crew”