Where are the British crew going wrong?????

eevee
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where are the British crew going wrong?????

Post by eevee »

I'll contribute the best I can...I used to really like Zoella, never really watched the rest of them...watch SprinkleofGlitter sometimes too. Zoe was really relateable and made videos constantly, lots of vlogs showing her day which are my weakness, a good amount of beauty videos and hauls etc...I used to really like her as a beauty blogger and from there liked her as a vlogger.

Lately her videos are few and far between and they're mostly about her new products out...and the boyfriend does my makeup challenge is just so overdone...i'm so sick of those videos...does anyone really like them?? i think the #1 thing a youtuber can do to mess up is to stop making consistent content. she stopped beauty blogging other than favorite videos essentially. She still daily vlogs which I do watch sometimes but her main channel has really gone to shit and I think it's because 1. her beauty line and book are taking up all the video time and 2. she hardly ever uploads

SprinkleOfGlitter is the same way! She just does sponsored stuff now, all her videos say | Ad on them!! And she has a book now too?? ugh...

QueenBitch
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by QueenBitch »

Acting like 12 year olds on crack and having euphoric episodes over a certain shade of lipstick never helped anyone. I also think I speak on behalf of many of us when I say that the blatantly condescending way they all talk to the camera makes me want to cut a bitch.
“Finn raised his coffee öug to me. "That's my girl. A bitch to the bitter end."
I saluted him with my sadwich. "Always”

― Jennifer Estep, Spider's Bite

mermaid vic
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by mermaid vic »

the only ones im currently into from them is joe and occasionally caspar i feel like theyre the ones who put more effort into videos at times. i started unsubbing from a majority of them after everyone started adding |AD to the end of their videos or when they all magically got book deals and all just happened to have dreamed of being writers since they were kids :roll:

Stagger
Learner
Learner

Post by Stagger »

Joe I feel puts so much effort in which is why he managed to get so many viewers from his friends so quickly. The rest have all become so famous that they feel like they don't have to put effort in and just do it to keep a steady income of the wide eyed teens that are happy to watch the same boring vids day after day. They've all lost touch as well, now they don't have to work for anything they just sit around talking about their sad content lives.

Turn Left at Irony
Talker
Talker

Post by Turn Left at Irony »

I have lurked along time, but never registered as I have never felt the need to add much. However the past month has seen me get more annoyed at Alfie Deyes apparent cynical attempts at Empire Building and money making.

First we had to endure the excitement of seeing his new office.. Sheah right, you are going to pay decent money, (the office has the space for a small to medium business), just to solve procrastination issues. How long before we see other You Tube by The Sea members using the space, (and no doubt paying for the privilege), or some new vacuous entity that you have chosen to be Vlog Messiah to, posting inane videos under your management?

The last sentence brings me to irritation No 2. It is clear you are grooming your sister to enable her to join the not so Bright-on crew. Forget recipes to bake cakes, this is the real recipe Alfie is working to.

Create Website with lots of prettiness but little content
Pimp out to adoring You Tube fans
Get the followers to a certain level whilst including Sister in your own videos
Sister creates You Tube account with first video featuring you and probably Zoe
Repeat Step 2
Count the money

Result - Money for Old Rope Pie

Cynical? Moi?

grumpysod
Talker
Talker

Post by grumpysod »

Turn Left at Irony wrote: Create Website with lots of prettiness but little content
Pimp out to adoring You Tube fans
Get the followers to a certain level whilst including Sister in your own videos
Sister creates You Tube account with first video featuring you and probably Zoe
Repeat Step 2
Count the money

Result - Money for Old Rope Pie

Cynical? Moi?
^^ This times 100. You are right, in the long run they are going to try and launch her as a you tuber in her own right ...... even if she is half a successful as Alfie that is still a lot of money to be made.

Although personally I think youtube fad will fade at some point in the not to distant future.

romantictea16
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by romantictea16 »

I feel it's not just british youtubers who are like this, a lot of american youtubers are as well. I just feel like they are all fake and fighting with each other behind the scenes. I am starting youtube and I really am trying super hard to figure out a way to be different and not like them. I geniunely want to sit down and talk about things. I am striving for a career off of youtube. I want to do youtube because it seems like so much fun and watching somethhing you published be liked and have others relate would be cool but my real passion is nursing. I think if these youtubers has something outside of youtube it'd be like youtube in 2006. when it was honest and real and people didn't care as much.

Layla0606
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Layla0606 »

romantictea16 wrote:I feel it's not just british youtubers who are like this, a lot of american youtubers are as well. I just feel like they are all fake and fighting with each other behind the scenes. I am starting youtube and I really am trying super hard to figure out a way to be different and not like them. I geniunely want to sit down and talk about things. I am striving for a career off of youtube. I want to do youtube because it seems like so much fun and watching somethhing you published be liked and have others relate would be cool but my real passion is nursing. I think if these youtubers has something outside of youtube it'd be like youtube in 2006. when it was honest and real and people didn't care as much.
yes but it will never be the same since people have realized you can earn sh*tloads and tons of money off it... so everybody is trying to be quirky and unique :roll: tbh i don't watch them anymore.. every once in a while i might look at some joe or caspar videos but that's it

mab
Learner
Learner

Post by mab »

clairey21 wrote:I think Joe is the only one (and sometimes Caspar) who puts a lot of hard work and thought into his videos. The other Youtubers are just looking for views to get some money in. Alfie only daily vlogs for that exact reason. They need to take a page out of Joes book and start to put some hard work into their content.

I totally agree with you, the only one who really makes me laugh any more is Joe. I used to like Jim but oh dear he really annoys me since he
Joe is the most relatable by far. He's always worked hard, in the early days still keeping his thatching job and doing Sunday vids, to now actually putting up watchable content. His Username:Evie graphic novel is so original compared to all the other YT books. :tu:

FedUpSoDone
Lurker
Lurker

Post by FedUpSoDone »

I feel like most creators (sans Joe and Caspar) don't care about their viewers anymore. They see us as moneybags and that's it. They don't care about quality content or originality. They just want us to praise them, buy their crap, and then leave them alone.

It makes me so sad because YouTube used to be my escape from people or situations like that. It was my time to watch people that cared about what they did because they actually enjoyed doing it. I didn't have to worry about having products shoved in my face or people trying to take advantage of me.

Post by Guest »

FedUpSoDone wrote:I feel like most creators (sans Joe and Caspar) don't care about their viewers anymore. They see us as moneybags and that's it. They don't care about quality content or originality. They just want us to praise them, buy their crap, and then leave them alone.

It makes me so sad because YouTube used to be my escape from people or situations like that. It was my time to watch people that cared about what they did because they actually enjoyed doing it. I didn't have to worry about having products shoved in my face or people trying to take advantage of me.
Honestly, I watch YouTube to look at clips and episodes of old shows that aren't on Hulu and animal stuff. I didn't even know about most of these Gleamers and YouTubers until I started watching the Fine Brothers and they created YouTubers React... and even then, I thought most of them were musicians and actors because of how polished they looked, and then I checked out their channels and thought... "Is this them in their downtime on sets and from touring?".... 3 months later, "Oh... this is all you do? Dafuq??"

I don't get them... I get IT, but I don't get them. I don't understand how people like Alfie Deyes think them leading their mediocre lives and filming themselves on their next venture into milking their fans dry is compelling or warrants the amount of attention they get from these tweens. And if you notice, the big advertisers still aren't biting because they aren't stupid. These are nothing but little girls fawning over quasi celebrities, but they're not going to buy half the crap they would hock on their channel.

jadkhistoryday
Learner
Learner

Post by jadkhistoryday »

I can't believe some of them actually have the nerve to complain about how "difficult" youtube is. Like, no, its your Job, you're making money off it and it is your committment- you can't just cancel things when you don't feel like doing them- just like someone can't cancel meetings or appointments in a 9-5 job just because they're feeling 'poorly'. It's not that hard to just do your job. Joe's been on tour for like the past 2 weeks all across the world- still managed to put up his videos/vlogs & not flake out on any of his meet and greets- and not a hint of complaint from him. Zoe can't even be bothered to complete her (one week long) book tour. I mean, fans paid money to book hotels, rides, even flights- not to mention time- to see you! That's the thing that really bothers me.. Is how they (With the exception of Joe & Caspar cause they're the only ones who are genuine and have real work ethic) think the world is at their beck and call and they don't have to follow through with their committments.

videostar
Debater
Debater

Post by videostar »

The whole situation seems really strange. I'd guess her illness will be put down to anxieties around flying to Dublin/being away from home in Dublin, but she's been away from home on this tour and flown already? I understand anxiety can be really difficult to deal with but surely she or someone around her understands how she responds and knows ways of assisting her to overcome her anxieties so she can fulfil commitments. We all have to do it.

HHackett
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HHackett »

Maybe I'm the weirdo out here but honestly, I only watch dailyvlogs from the British Crew (besides Joe's main channel vids).
They're becoming huge internet personalities and the pressure is having an impact also on its videos. IMO they've been trying to WHITHEN* their content to gain more subscribers (and money also)

*I don't know if you use this word in English, but in Spanish means that its opening its target market, ie. from girls to boys and girls.

Layla0606
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Layla0606 »

videostar wrote:The whole situation seems really strange. I'd guess her illness will be put down to anxieties around flying to Dublin/being away from home in Dublin, but she's been away from home on this tour and flown already? I understand anxiety can be really difficult to deal with but surely she or someone around her understands how she responds and knows ways of assisting her to overcome her anxieties so she can fulfil commitments. We all have to do it.
all i can do is roll my eyes, she is a 25 year old ADULT who hasn't done shit to manage her illness and speak out about it, also it's not like she had to fly over the atlantic or anywhere far, it's just from england to ireland, ffs :roll:

Hollyb14
Learner
Learner

Post by Hollyb14 »

The only one i can still tolerate is Joe Sugg and that's mainly because his occasional impersonations of Alfie give me SO MUCH LIFE.

LIFEandSOUL
Learner
Learner

Post by LIFEandSOUL »

I completely agree with you, I used to watch all the British youtuber crew such as Alfie Deyes, Zoe Sugg, Jim Chapam, Tanya Burr, marcus Butler etc etc. I used to love watching them and seeing the next video that they would post.
Now I honestly hate watching most of them with a few exceptions, The exceptions being Joe Sugg (when Not with other youtubers such as Alfie Deyes) & Sprinkleofglitter again when not with other youtubers such as Marcus Butler.
I think that their are a few reasons I hate watching some of these people now:

1: they don't do orignal content
2: always copy each other
3: certain members of the British youtube crew do videos and no not give credit (*Cough* Alfie Deyes *Cough*)
4: I used to be able to relate to them as the kid from next door but now they are all millionaires living in massive houses with book deals, merchandise lines etc.
5: They don't seem to interact with there viewers anymore like than used to.
6: only interested the numbers and don't seem to care who and how got them to were they are today.
7: doing anything they can to get views or 5* reviews (for example Aflie Deyes offering people on twitter Follows and DMs for 5* reviews.

These are just a few of the examples I can think of off the top of my head. But as I have already said I completely agree with you

xx

ughmygosh
Informer
Informer

Post by ughmygosh »

JuniperJones wrote:I wonder what the actual subscription number would look like if YouTube had an algorithm that automatically unsubscribed to YouTubers we didn't watch for a certain amount of time. I'm just saying... A lot of these guys have millions of subscribers and barely pass the million mark after a week, with the exception of Joe, Caspar, Zoella, and Alfie, and even Alfie's million count is starting take longer now if it's just him in a video. When I see advertisements for YouTube on TV, I'm trying to figure out exactly how they think this is supposed to appeal to young adults.... because it doesn't. The majority of people watching them are pudgy shut ins with low self-esteem, vicariously living through their favorite YouTube "star."

THIS! I stopped watching the majority of "The British crew" a while ago, but for some reason I was still subbed to Zoe (and a bunch of Americans) until 30 minutes ago. I haven't fully watched any of their videos (I still like/watch SprinkleofGlitter and Joe, though.) in MONTHS.

If I've opened any videos at all, I haven't watched them for more than a minute. They've been sat in my sub box for months on end and every time they upload my reaction was "Ugh, are you serious? Why don't you just feck off?" and never thought to just un-sub from them.

I'm willing to bet there are hundreds, if not thousands of others who have either stopped using YT altogether, but have stayed subbed, or just people like me who just haven't yet took the initiative to un-sub.

Like you said, if YT actually had an algorithm that automatically un-subbed YT's that weren't actually watched by certain accounts, then I'm willing to bet that the majority of their subscriber counts would cut in half.

Monster_Guru33
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Monster_Guru33 »

The Ukelele background music really grates me. Its trying to create this indie fluffy happy atmosphere that may work with one or two youtubers, but after the 847th youtuber does it, its just irritating. Once more, its all lazy background music Youtube provides for free. So you end up hearing the same tunes in a number of different youtube channels.

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

My personal pet peeve with the ukuleles is that ONE particular song. The one Joey Graceffa uses with whistling. It annoys me SO MUCH.
This entire video gave me PTSD. It's like every single British vlogger in one video.

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “The British Crew”