Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 2

twosugars
Debater
Debater

Re: Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 2

Post by twosugars »

Saffity wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:13 am
Just watched Abby's couture video and while she had the memes she seemed a bit calmer than normal and I quite enjoyed looking at the differences with extant garments. Also lets me know that if I whip stitch my seam allowances rather than a proper fell, eh, it can be 'influenced by the couture' rather than me being lazy XD.

Also on the Peacock Dress issue, I see DSA and Muse jumping in the fray again.

And CD praising Angela's Chemise a la Reine seems to be a different feel compared to what was going on a few months ago in relation to the dress. I'm wondering if Angela will get any push back on it. (also... I typed this out using AC for Angela then realized everyone would likely think I meant Abby.... there are too many people in Costube with similar initials!!!)
With all the views on Angela's video, I'm shocked that there's no blowback. Though I honestly think the bubbly, fun tone of Angela's overall content helps. She's not here to make mea culpa style videos over historical fashion, but to share her projects & have fun with it.

On the note of the much-discussed style, I finally found a costuber video where someone says "We don't actually know the origin there needs to be a lot more research on it."

LadyWhistleblower
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LadyWhistleblower »

Julienne wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:46 pm
I see her bravely naming Cathy Hay when everyone is coming out of the woodwork to name Cathy Hay. Yet Bernadette's name remains censored, even though she was the one shutting down the criticism and harassing the critics and surely someone still has the receipts.
I think that just comes across to me as fear that she's going to get in more shit by calling out BB. Kind of don't blame her for being nervous about it because of BB's rabid fanbase.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

LadyWhistleblower wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm
Julienne wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:46 pm
I see her bravely naming Cathy Hay when everyone is coming out of the woodwork to name Cathy Hay. Yet Bernadette's name remains censored, even though she was the one shutting down the criticism and harassing the critics and surely someone still has the receipts.
I think that just comes across to me as fear that she's going to get in more shit by calling out BB. Kind of don't blame her for being nervous about it because of BB's rabid fanbase.
I'd definitely be more worried about the fanbase than BB herself at this point. BB has kinda separated herself out and put herself in a bubble. She doesn't really comment or get involved in anything now. The fact that she commented on that video at all surprised me.

Saffity
Talker
Talker

Post by Saffity »

I just saw a story screenshot in the BB thread that appears to have been deleted by TCA and it appears to very clearly point to BB in no uncertain terms getting as close to naming her without naming her. I'm wondering if she got some blasting from the community already.

I have a feeling BB commented on the video to get ahead of comments like TCA's pointing out that she was so rabidly defensive of CH and the dress. She probably thinks if she posts an apology there then all the poor behaviour she did prior will just.... fade away.

Also thank you Twosugars for that video.

NastySkankBitch
Learner
Learner

Post by NastySkankBitch »

LadyViorica wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:13 am
What's up with McKenna Kaelin? I've never heard of her.
Well, she's arguably peaked around 2016-2017, I don't think she's all that relevant now. She used to go by simply_kenna but rebranded herself as cozykitsune, perhaps to break away from her past controversies. Apart from being the most special snowflake of them all and thinking that liking autumn is a personality, she had two major fuck-ups:

1. She stole/traced over some drawings and tried to pass them as her own. Funnily enough, she kept telling her fans that they need to properly credit her if they want to tattoo/recreate these drawings. In one case, she even told her follower not to tattoo the painting at all because it was her own original concept that was very personal to her, but it turned out that it was just some generic bullshit that you could find all over pinterest. The best known case of Kenna's plagiarism was the logo for her own personal Hogwarts house, which she created because none of the standard houses could fully capture her uniqueness.

2. During her boho phase, she claimed to be a Buddhist for the ☆aesthetic☆. However she also kept a severed Buddha head in her house despite it being majorly disrespectful for actual Buddhist and when she was called out, she basically just said that Buddhists should get over it.

She also kept attacking people with similar aesthetic as her and liked to accuse people of copying her/her art. Her apology video was also a piece of art, she recited this cringy-ass poem about how she's misunderstood and basically didn't apologize at all.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

NastySkankBitch wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:13 pm
LadyViorica wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:13 am
What's up with McKenna Kaelin? I've never heard of her.
Well, she's arguably peaked around 2016-2017, I don't think she's all that relevant now. She used to go by simply_kenna but rebranded herself as cozykitsune, perhaps to break away from her past controversies. Apart from being the most special snowflake of them all and thinking that liking autumn is a personality, she had two major fuck-ups:

1. She stole/traced over some drawings and tried to pass them as her own. Funnily enough, she kept telling her fans that they need to properly credit her if they want to tattoo/recreate these drawings. In one case, she even told her follower not to tattoo the painting at all because it was her own original concept that was very personal to her, but it turned out that it was just some generic bullshit that you could find all over pinterest. The best known case of Kenna's plagiarism was the logo for her own personal Hogwarts house, which she created because none of the standard houses could fully capture her uniqueness.

2. During her boho phase, she claimed to be a Buddhist for the ☆aesthetic☆. However she also kept a severed Buddha head in her house despite it being majorly disrespectful for actual Buddhist and when she was called out, she basically just said that Buddhists should get over it.

She also kept attacking people with similar aesthetic as her and liked to accuse people of copying her/her art. Her apology video was also a piece of art, she recited this cringy-ass poem about how she's misunderstood and basically didn't apologize at all.
Wow, she sounds like a piece of work. I'm dying over the Hogwarts house in particular. Everything else is awful, but that is the icing on the cake. She isn't just awful, she's ridiculous.

Side story: when the patronus quiz thing came out ages ago on Pottermore, I remember someone posting in outrage that her Patronus was a cat when she KNEW is was a rainbow unicorn or something equally ridiculous. I bet she and Kenna would either get along well or be mortal enemies competing over who is the more unique.

SnarkySnax
Informer
Informer

Post by SnarkySnax »

Saffity wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm
I just saw a story screenshot in the BB thread that appears to have been deleted by TCA and it appears to very clearly point to BB in no uncertain terms getting as close to naming her without naming her. I'm wondering if she got some blasting from the community already.

I have a feeling BB commented on the video to get ahead of comments like TCA's pointing out that she was so rabidly defensive of CH and the dress. She probably thinks if she posts an apology there then all the poor behaviour she did prior will just.... fade away.

Also thank you Twosugars for that video.
I'm of two minds. Part of me thinks that if you're going to name names, you should name names and not just drop hints, even if "everyone knows" who you're referring to.

The other part of me is sympathetic to the fact that it takes a lot of nerve to put yourself out there like that, and if you've faced backlash in the past for trying to point out unpopular opinions, it could make you nervous about laying it all out there.

Also, isn't TCA actually Mode Historique? Did she change her name or something? I was looking at her IG and I'm pretty sure she's MH under a different name.

Julienne
Debater
Debater

Post by Julienne »

twosugars wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:51 pm
When the video still is already a research fail: There are at least four left. In addition to the two in the video, Kent State and the private Kamer-Ruf collection each have one.

And even those might not be THE. ONLY ONES!111! LEFT IN THE UNIVERSSSSSSE!!!1! because that is a total bullshit thing to assume. The V&A on its lonesome already misplaced more clothing in their storage than that costuber ever owned.

I can't even bring myself to click because this still is so fucking dumb.
Saffity wrote:

CH has an advantage here over BB because CH hasn't done what people tell her she shouldn't do. She hasn't done the dress. She has not made the dress for the last ten years. Cathy Hay can say that no one thought about this dress more than she did and then continue to not make the dress.

But BB didn't just think about bullying people. She bullied people. And there are screenshots. No one will care that BB de-coupled from the dress project if those surface. Because the defense of the dress is not gonna be the problem. It's gonna be the bullying.

SnarkySnax
Informer
Informer

Post by SnarkySnax »

Ok, I got even more curious looking at TCA's insta and I am certain she's Mode Historique. I also came across this post:

Argh, the image won't imbed. Here's what she wrote:

"I used to sew stuff once upon a time… why’d I stop? Life got crazy. The last 3 years have been a time of chaotic transition, but I’m in a much happier place now. Doing way better emotionally and mentally. Photo is of the last 18th century outfit I made, in 2018. It was the last time I went to Paris before my relationship with my ex finally ended. I was told that my name had come up on the internet recently and someone said I went away because I was “pushed out” by more popular costumers, which is funny because 1) someone out there still remembers me, even if negatively, and 2) it’s kind of hard to maintain enthusiasm for a hobby when your fiancé is busy having affairs with half of it. So, there you go. Not pushed out, just a wicked case of PTSD.

PS I am much better now. 😎"

I do recall someone posting on one of the costuber/BB/CH threads here that MH was "pushed out" of the costuming scene by some new costumers (Virtuous Courtesan? I'm too lazy to look it up). Apparently word got back to her. Sounds like her ex was a real piece of shit, but also, do you think this could also be what's she's alluding to when she wrote that CH "massively betrayed" her?

If so, DAAAAYUM.

steph87
Lurker
Lurker

Post by steph87 »

Look you know I love drama (i follow this forum after all), but the costubing community is EXHAUSTING. These people don’t seem capable of taking a measured response to anything or idk go outside and interact with the real world once in a while (could it be the pandemic has exacerbated the weird instagram echo chamber?). I’ve just seen Lizcapism’s stories in IG and girl… that’s just sad. She’s now basically apologising about being white and how that meant she took too much of a ‘measured response’ to criticism about the peacock dress because she wanted to people-please. What?? So now any response that isn’t frothing at the mouth anger is internalised racism???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AwwwSweet
Learner
Learner

Post by AwwwSweet »

It is always funny to me that the people who are always saying to don't talk over and listen to POC voices and not make issues about yourself are usually the same people who chime in first making the issue about themselves.

twosugars
Debater
Debater

Post by twosugars »

Julienne wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:03 pm
twosugars wrote:
When the video still is already a research fail: There are at least four left. In addition to the two in the video, Kent State and the private Kamer-Ruf collection each have one.

And even those might not be THE. ONLY ONES!111! LEFT IN THE UNIVERSSSSSSE!!!1! because that is a total bullshit thing to assume. The V&A on its lonesome already misplaced more clothing in their storage than that costuber ever owned.

To be fair to the costuber, just like what ended up happening with the Retrospectjournal article where they were claiming Marie Antoinette wrote 'robe de creole' in her diaries, their information is coming from a supposedly well researched source--in this case, she got her information from the "A Stitch in Time" chemise a la reine episode, which says there are only 2 in existence. Though that episode is chock-full of misinformation (repeats the myth of Marie Antoinette pretending to be a peasant at the hameau, frolicking around, etc) but most people don't know that I would assume.

Though I don't agree with the videos' overall points, such as a theory that the gown wasn't really worn that much, when we have extant sources saying that it was so popular that no one 15 to 50 didn't have one, letters where you see people ordering muslin or gauze fabrics to chemise gowns, etc. I'm just happy someone flat out admitted that we don't know the origins instead of repeating something was a fact, tbh.

BeaLynne
Learner
Learner

Post by BeaLynne »

Saffity wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:13 am
Just watched Abby's couture video and while she had the memes she seemed a bit calmer than normal and I quite enjoyed looking at the differences with extant garments. Also lets me know that if I whip stitch my seam allowances rather than a proper fell, eh, it can be 'influenced by the couture' rather than me being lazy XD.
I just watched it and I really liked this video, the memes kind of worked for me this time when I usually find them a bit over the top as well. When I was starting out I was also told how unique and different Worth was so it was really fun to see Abby basically debunk some of that and I always love it when she shows close ups of pieces from her collection, especially the insides. It's educational of course but I also just really enjoy looking at it, it's so chill.

I think Abby and Nicole are slowly becoming my favourite channels. They're not always correct but honestly, who is? I just feel like they just put a lot of effort into their stuff, even the non-sewing videos. (And their sewing/shoe making in Nicole's case is always pretty cool as well of course.)

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

SnarkySnax wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 pm
Ok, I got even more curious looking at TCA's insta and I am certain she's Mode Historique. I also came across this post:

Argh, the image won't imbed. Here's what she wrote:

"I used to sew stuff once upon a time… why’d I stop? Life got crazy. The last 3 years have been a time of chaotic transition, but I’m in a much happier place now. Doing way better emotionally and mentally. Photo is of the last 18th century outfit I made, in 2018. It was the last time I went to Paris before my relationship with my ex finally ended. I was told that my name had come up on the internet recently and someone said I went away because I was “pushed out” by more popular costumers, which is funny because 1) someone out there still remembers me, even if negatively, and 2) it’s kind of hard to maintain enthusiasm for a hobby when your fiancé is busy having affairs with half of it. So, there you go. Not pushed out, just a wicked case of PTSD.

PS I am much better now. 😎"

I do recall someone posting on one of the costuber/BB/CH threads here that MH was "pushed out" of the costuming scene by some new costumers (Virtuous Courtesan? I'm too lazy to look it up). Apparently word got back to her. Sounds like her ex was a real piece of shit, but also, do you think this could also be what's she's alluding to when she wrote that CH "massively betrayed" her?

If so, DAAAAYUM.
Wow. If they were once good friends, but not in business like CH and BB, and MH says she was “massively betrayed” that’s pretty much where my mind goes.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

I've been getting a bad feeling about CH between her business cult/MLM vibe and very unhelpful advice videos, but all of this makes me want to stay completely away from her.

stormpie
Informer
Informer

Post by stormpie »

herewego2 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 pm
I've been getting a bad feeling about CH between her business cult/MLM vibe and very unhelpful advice videos, but all of this makes me want to stay completely away from her.
MLM vibe hits it in the head!!!! That’s exactly what her “advice” videos feel like

groguchic
Lurker
Lurker

Post by groguchic »

I've been lurking for a while and just made an account to post this so sorry if the ink doesn't work. I don't know what I'm doing. this is a video from a year ago with an actual historian (professor of history) saying that it was absolutely a symbol of the British Empire in India and lady Curzon would have picked it out herself. but they made a mistake talking about the construction of the dress so the Cathy fans in the comments are totally discrediting everything said. the comments are a complete dumpster fire.

stormpie
Informer
Informer

Post by stormpie »

steph87 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm
Look you know I love drama (i follow this forum after all), but the costubing community is EXHAUSTING. These people don’t seem capable of taking a measured response to anything or idk go outside and interact with the real world once in a while (could it be the pandemic has exacerbated the weird instagram echo chamber?). I’ve just seen Lizcapism’s stories in IG and girl… that’s just sad. She’s now basically apologising about being white and how that meant she took too much of a ‘measured response’ to criticism about the peacock dress because she wanted to people-please. What?? So now any response that isn’t frothing at the mouth anger is internalised racism???

Maybe I am an oddity but if I feel passionate about something I speak out and if I don’t I keep my mouth shut.

If she didn’t feel enough of a way about it to speak out before then her speaking out now seems to be people pleasing.

stormpie
Informer
Informer

Post by stormpie »

Julienne wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:03 pm
twosugars wrote:

Saffity wrote:

CH has an advantage here over BB because CH hasn't done what people tell her she shouldn't do. She hasn't done the dress. She has not made the dress for the last ten years. Cathy Hay can say that no one thought about this dress more than she did and then continue to not make the dress.

But BB didn't just think about bullying people. She bullied people. And there are screenshots. No one will care that BB de-coupled from the dress project if those surface. Because the defense of the dress is not gonna be the problem. It's gonna be the bullying.

When they talk about the chemise dress an important part of that is the “chemise” but - it isn’t just the style so much as the fabric that make it reminiscent of a chemise. So when stitch in time or this video says 2 left they mean 2 actual chemise dresses not two in the style of a chemise dress - there are only two fine muslin dresses left - both your examples are the same style but not the same fabric (one is silk I don’t know what the German one is but it’s not muslin).

Julienne
Debater
Debater

Post by Julienne »

stormpie wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 pm

When they talk about the chemise dress an important part of that is the “chemise” but - it isn’t just the style so much as the fabric that make it reminiscent of a chemise. So when stitch in time or this video says 2 left they mean 2 actual chemise dresses not two in the style of a chemise dress - there are only two fine muslin dresses left - both your examples are the same style but not the same fabric (one is silk I don’t know what the German one is but it’s not muslin).
Undergarment chemises were made of linen never out of cotton "muslin" like the Manchester chemise. Your logic is flawed and at odds with the actual fashion journals at the time. They show quite a number of non-muslin chemises, like this one:

http://www.mimicofmodes.com/2013/05/galerie-des-modes-41e-cahier-bis-1ere.html

18th c dresses are usually defined by cut, not fibre content, even by actual 18th c people. Your quick ad-hoc redefinition of an entire dress type because of criticism of a mere video still is doing a lot over a little.

To address another question: isn't M&D a "they" because they're a couple sharing the account?
stormpie wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 pm
Maybe I am an oddity but if I feel passionate about something I speak out and if I don’t I keep my mouth shut.

If she didn’t feel enough of a way about it to speak out before then her speaking out now seems to be people pleasing.
Plenty of people on this forum feel very passionate about CH but criticism of the dress was way more focused on her not making it then making it. But I always thought that the passionate "the Peacock Dress is racist" shitstorm was always waiting for CH to actually have the embroidery made, just like Abby and Sewstine waited for the Juneteenth group to go to CW before airing their grievances.

And if lizcapism can string together more two non-platitudes about British colonialism, I would be surprised. Her white guilt would be more convincing if she had had any educated insight that she withheld, rather than some uneducated gut feeling she was too lazy to examine. There are enough uneducated, emotional responses from people who center the discussion around themselves.

Return to “Costubers”