emilynoel83 part 3

andsheleft
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: emilynoel83 part 3

Post by andsheleft »

norilangdon wrote:I can't believe I've never seen this before, but here's a video of Emily leaving the news:

This just solidified my opinion that leaving was a huge mistake.
Oh my goodness. That actually made me tear up a little. She left expecting huge things for her youtube career, and, not that she doesn't have a youtube career, but I can't help but wonder if she knew then what she knows now if she would have still left her anchor position.

Emily annoys me so much of the time with her hair awkwardness and her rust transition shades, haha, but it's difficult to fake a sadness over a coworker leaving. I think it's obvious she was loved and in a position that lent her far more support than she gets doing what she does now. Watching that clip just made it so much more obvious to me why she panders to her minions. She misses that connection, love, and support she got on a day to day basis at the station. She'll make the same eye look tutorial a million times over to get just an ounce of that feeling of being loved. It's sad really. And I don't mean that in a bitchy "omg gurl, you gotsta get a life" kind of way, my heart genuinely goes out to her more now than it ever did before.

I know that this is the trash a guru section, and you all know I'm usually right there with you! But it's refreshing to me to see her as more of a human and less of a robot. For me that clip just cemented in my mind that no matter what she says and how often she says it, she is lonely. I don't know, maybe I'm just super hormonal tonight, haha. But I feel for her. :love2:

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

andsheleft wrote:
norilangdon wrote:I can't believe I've never seen this before, but here's a video of Emily leaving the news:

This just solidified my opinion that leaving was a huge mistake.
Oh my goodness. That actually made me tear up a little. She left expecting huge things for her youtube career, and, not that she doesn't have a youtube career, but I can't help but wonder if she knew then what she knows now if she would have still left her anchor position.

Emily annoys me so much of the time with her hair awkwardness and her rust transition shades, haha, but it's difficult to fake a sadness over a coworker leaving. I think it's obvious she was loved and in a position that lent her far more support than she gets doing what she does now. Watching that clip just made it so much more obvious to me why she panders to her minions. She misses that connection, love, and support she got on a day to day basis at the station. She'll make the same eye look tutorial a million times over to get just an ounce of that feeling of being loved. It's sad really. And I don't mean that in a bitchy "omg gurl, you gotsta get a life" kind of way, my heart genuinely goes out to her more now than it ever did before.

I know that this is the trash a guru section, and you all know I'm usually right there with you! But it's refreshing to me to see her as more of a human and less of a robot. For me that clip just cemented in my mind that no matter what she says and how often she says it, she is lonely. I don't know, maybe I'm just super hormonal tonight, haha. But I feel for her. :love2:
OMG!! As long as I've been watching Emily, I had never seen this either. It does make me sad. However, most local news people stay at the local level their entire careers. They may move to a larger area, but rarely do they move beyond local news. You don't see local news people suddenly appearing on CNN or Fox News. I'm not sure her career would have "grown" that much if she had stayed as an anchor, but I do think it made her world bigger and gave her more to think and talk about. Actually, I live in a rather large metro area in N.C. Most of the local anchors have been at our news stations for 20-30 years. We recently had a few retire after spending their entire careers at the same stations. I don't think there was really anywhere for Emily to go advancement-wise even if she had stayed. Just my 2 cents.
Never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts you, know what? It was probably worth it........Leonardo DiCaprio

andsheleft
Learner
Learner

Post by andsheleft »

Oh I agree Mustard! I don't think there was anywhere else for her to go from her anchor position. But I do think it added quality of life more so than her youtube job. I agree with everything you're saying! I just haven't had my coffee yet, haha!

razzledazzle
Informer
Informer

Post by razzledazzle »

i have seen that clip before and was one of the reasons why i thought leaving was the worst idea. she had a good thing going there and she dropped it all for youtube-- it makes no sense and i guess is something only she can understand. i think that she made a decision based on emotions rather than thinking through the best long term plan. i know that she could have dropped down to part time work, worked a different shift, been an on-call person. to drop it and move to Paris, go to grad school-- all of those things would have made more sense. for youtube-- no, i can't accept that.

as for moving on career wise, i have a lot of local people who have made it to CNN. I can name 3 off the top of my head. I do live in a major metro area in CA, though, but it does happen. However, staying local for your whole career is a great job and i think better than going to a big station because look at how personal it can be!

i think for me, she was so good at it and enjoyed it and it fit her personality. it is hard to see someone fall and give that up and not have anything come out of it. her choice of course, but not a good one. nothing in her life has changed as far as youtube. her vids have gone down in quality, not interseting, she doesnt even post on the vlog channel anymore...

when you are very busy, it is easier to compartmentalize things and get stuff done efficiently because you have to . when you have too much time, it is very easy for things to slip and fall to the wayside, because there is always tomorrow. this is what has happened to her.

plus, you can't be 50 and making youtube videos. (i mean you can, but come on). you can be 50 and still on the news with a stable job. i really think this whole "follow your dreams" mantra has led many people astray. follow your dreams to an extent, but be smart about it and think long term. wouldn't you like to have something to look back and say you are proud about it, rather than a collection of videos with makeup for youtube, something that may not even be around in a few years??

last thought: i also wonder if she would have made a different decision based on what she knows now about how nothing would come out of her youtube stuff. why would you walk away from something at the height of your career, when things are clicking and gelling??? i think that there is more to the story, what, i don't know. it has never added up to me. i don't fully buy her reasoning. i never have. i think she wrapped it up in a pretty package for us to believe, but it doesn't make total sense to me.

razzledazzle
Informer
Informer

Post by razzledazzle »

plus, you can't be 50 and making youtube videos. (i mean you can, but come on). you can be 50 and still on the news with a stable job. i really think this whole "follow your dreams" mantra has led many people astray. follow your dreams to an extent, but be smart about it and think long term. wouldn't you like to have something to look back and say you are proud about it, rather than a collection of videos with makeup for youtube, something that may not even be around in a few years??

razzledazzle
Informer
Informer

Post by razzledazzle »

last thought: i also wonder if she would have made a different decision based on what she knows now about how nothing would come out of her youtube stuff. why would you walk away from something at the height of your career, when things are clicking and gelling??? i think that there is more to the story, what, i don't know. it has never added up to me. i don't fully buy her reasoning. i never have. i think she wrapped it up in a pretty package for us to believe, but it doesn't make total sense to me.

MantisShrimp
Informer
Informer

Post by MantisShrimp »

I would understand if she had genuine makeup artist or makeup line ambitions so the videos would be
like fodder for that. Her channel would showcase her process whether it's brand building for a makeup line or new techniques she's working on for her aspirations towards become an mua. But her current channel basically does nothing but showcase her se go-to makeup techniques that she thinks work for her. Over and over again and feature reviews on products that are going to be obsolete in a few years.

I completely understnad why she left - she just didn't like the job. Simple as that. She enjoyed the work environment, yes, because her coworkers
Loved her as did he audience but she hated everything else about that job from the hours to the script, were talking about a woman who can't even let other people speak in her videos, you think she's gonna enjoy sharing airtime and having to read someone else's words of cue cards?

Anyway I think the point I'm getting at is that no matter how much she loves doing the videos she does now, her channel has no where to grow towards bcs all it does is montages the different day to day faces of Emily Noel and nothing more.

Like that stupid glitter video she made - it was three shimmery eye looks we've seen herso a thousand times with the same products she's raved about a thousand times. Snooze fest! Couple of days later Lisa Elsridge
Posts a glitter look and I'm literally salivating at the colors and totally inspired by the technique she uses with the glitter liner. Lisa is constantly updating her techniques and learning both the history and future of makeup. But for Emily this is just soooo beneath her. Instead of admitting she never learns anything new or shoes any new techniques or ideas in her videos she denies that and points out the fact that she has 600+ videos that couldn't all possible be the same. News flash lady, you never educate yourself on new trends (and I don't mean by watching other gurus!) and you only ever do makeup on yourself so yea. They're all the same look.

I don't know why I went on this rant but I guess
My point is that emit doesn't have a realistic view of herswlf her skills or her future in YouTube or beyond.

anat4ever
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by anat4ever »

tbh, I don't think Lisa Eldridge's videos are all that either... Maybe things would change if she were doing makeup on me lol, but that'll never happen so her videos are not as impressive as people hype them to be?

Anyway, Emily doesn't seem to have aspirations outside of youtube... Idk if she's settling and I don't really care that she's got nothing else makeup-wise going on. But I've said this a thousand times, the problems people are finding with her video quality has to stem from the lack of stimulation she's getting from not interacting with people. I mean she went from being spoiled and doted on by family to popular head cheerleader in high school AND college to loved coworker in a constantly changing work environment. There's no way she'd be completely happy not having people around doing the same things every day. She LOVES being around people. She loved being active in school and work. Even if she did expect to only be doing youtube for years to come and nothing extra, you'd think she'd realize by now she needs some changes for her own peace of mind if not for her viewers.

Avalicious
Talker
Talker

Post by Avalicious »

Thank you to the person who linked that news video. It was definitely a tear-jerker. She seemed to be loved by all, and I would think that they would welcome her back with open arms if she ever chose to return to the news. I think she needs a year or two to feel out the YouTube gig, or at least fully recharge from the sleep deprivation over the years, maybe start a family, then consider returning to news eventually.

diance
Learner
Learner

Post by diance »

mustardmoon1 wrote: Does anyone even know the name of the car dealership Em is doing voice overs for? We might be able to find her ads that way...
Marion Nisaan, I believe. I've only seen them later at night. There are more commercials featuring Tyler and they're all just as bad.

CheshireCat
Informer
Informer

Post by CheshireCat »

That video was so sweet! Emily never should have left that channel! Those coworkers really cared about her and I think she was a pretty good newswoman, although I've only seen a few short clips. Its especially sad since she hasn't done anything with her channel really :( I wonder if she's where she hoped to be with youtube after quitting? What did she expect to change?

anat4ever
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by anat4ever »

I was watching her videos about getting into the news and while I have no idea if the advice was actually good, I still got the feeling she was really knows what she's saying. Like friendly advice from someone who's been through it. For some reason, it's a different feeling from when she gives makeup advice even though she was still saying do this do that. On BB, I feel like she's too high on her horse.
Oh, Idk if it's relevant but she has a degree in media communications so it seems general enough that she has more career choices than just the news. If she wanted more career choices.

Fat Shark
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fat Shark »

Maybe it's because at her old job I assume she had people to hold her accountable, which made her more grounded in that career. I'm sure she got negative feedback, that she would be required to work on to improve. That is how it is at all jobs. As a result when she gave career advice she could draw from that experience. Where as with YT she doesn't have that. Her minions just kiss her ass, her "peers" (ex, Kristin Gehm) just kiss her ass, her family probably says nothing or just humors her, and so when she does get a negative comment she gets defensive. Being supportive of each other is all well and good, but how can a person grow in their job if they never receive or accept any negative feedback? She doesn't have a boss or co-worker to tell her straight up what areas she needs to work on with her channel. She's not going to listen to GG or negative comments because she's convinced herself those people don't know what they are talking about.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

Fuchsiarama wrote:Maybe it's because at her old job I assume she had people to hold her accountable, which made her more grounded in that career. I'm sure she got negative feedback, that she would be required to work on to improve. That is how it is at all jobs. As a result when she gave career advice she could draw from that experience. Where as with YT she doesn't have that. Her minions just kiss her ass, her "peers" (ex, Kristin Gehm) just kiss her ass, her family probably says nothing or just humors her, and so when she does get a negative comment she gets defensive. Being supportive of each other is all well and good, but how can a person grow in their job if they never receive or accept any negative feedback? She doesn't have a boss or co-worker to tell her straight up what areas she needs to work on with her channel. She's not going to listen to GG or negative comments because she's convinced herself those people don't know what they are talking about.
Like I've said before, I don't think Emily has ever gotten anything but praise from anyone around her. She went from spoiled baby to popular high-school and college cheerleader to news woman. YT is probably the first time in her life she has experienced any negativity. I don't think it's good for a person's character to be surrounded by "yes" men all the time. Some constructive criticism is good for her whether she likes it or not!! If she would take some of the advice we have given her here on GG to get out of her 80's time warp, it would help her a great deal.
Never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts you, know what? It was probably worth it........Leonardo DiCaprio

Fat Shark
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fat Shark »

She mentioned dealing with criticism or negativity in her self esteem videos from a few years back. She talked about having to deal with that working as a newsanchor. I always thought that gave her an advantage and made her more grounded than other beauty gurus who never worked a day in a regular job. Maybe Emily has forgotten some of those coping skills she learned working in the news. I think it helps to have that senior co-worker, friend, or boss to keep you inline. None of the YT beauty have that so I think it creates alot of monsters. They are able to create vaccuums where they don't have to improve themselves. They can act unethically without getting in trouble. Any type of constructive criticims is labeled "bullying" and ignored. It's kind of bizarre.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

shermansown

Post by shermansown »

Fuchsiarama wrote:She mentioned dealing with criticism or negativity in her self esteem videos from a few years back. She talked about having to deal with that working as a newsanchor. I always thought that gave her an advantage and made her more grounded than other beauty gurus who never worked a day in a regular job. Maybe Emily has forgotten some of those coping skills she learned working in the news. I think it helps to have that senior co-worker, friend, or boss to keep you inline. None of the YT beauty have that so I think it creates alot of monsters. They are able to create vaccuums where they don't have to improve themselves. They can act unethically without getting in trouble. Any type of constructive criticims is labeled "bullying" and ignored. It's kind of bizarre.
Not saying you're wrong, but that just speaks to the immaturity of all of these gurus. If every business owner needed their employees or friends to point out areas they could improve or learn from, there would be no successful or growing small business at all. It seems that the people who NEED someone else to tell them how to improve are not cut out for making a "career" in this particular (weird, nebulous) business.

Return to “Emilynoel83”