• Advertisement

I'm Being Bullied Because Of Height

I'm Being Bullied Because Of Height

Postby Justalkin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm really short, 4'11 to be exact. I get it's super short but I get picked on a lot for it. Granted I have to start by saying I'm in my late 20s. I used to get bullied more about this in high school but it stopped after I became an adult and got into college. Recently though it's begun again and people keep pointing out how short I am. Some people are really mean about it others just think they're poking fun but it hurts a lot because it takes me to those high school days. I don't know what to do. It makes me feel ugly that I'm not tall or "statuesque." Can anyone offer advice or words of encouragement? I'm really depressed.
Justalkin
Informer
Informer

Advertisement

Re: I'm Being Bullied Because Of Height

Postby cutelilbunny123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 am

hey sweet, first off being short is nothing to be ashamed about. being short is cute/endearing if anything, and it means you have your pick of all the guys and don't have to worry about wearing heels and being super tall :tu: the people who are picking on you at this age are seriously immature and have a huge insecurity within themselves. distance yourself from these people and focus on you!! i don't know what you do/your hobbies but focus on your career and go to the gym/get your nails done/do your makeup super nice... all to boost your confidence and make you feel gorgeous!
being tall is not that great either, the grass is always greener on the other side. tall people also get picked on, especially women for being too 'manly' and intimidating to men. learn to accept who you are and how you are built because everyone has their demons and insecurities, we all just need to learn to accept them and love ourselves xxxxx
cutelilbunny123
Learner
Learner

Postby nadalinica » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:57 am

Hi! I'm on the completely other end of the spectrum, as a 6'2 woman, but I feel you!
I've had to learn to love my height, because I've been this tall since I was 13, and it wasn't easy. No one really dared to pick on me, because I was so much taller than everyone, but I felt left out and weird in my own body. Finding a boyfriend was a nightmare, especially where I live, because men were mostly intimidated by my height and my overall appearance. But height really isn't something you can change, so you have to accept it. I have learned not to care, and now I'm in a place where I really love my body. I'm special, and I wouldn't be me if I were shorter. And you wouldn't be you if you were taller. Find the positives (and there REALLY are positives to every height), and focus on them (for example, for me, it's that people really remember me quickly and also respect and listen to me because I look more authoritative). Also, your height isn't everything. It doesn't have to define you. As the poster above me said, do other things to make you feel good about other parts of yourself, be it makeup, clothes or reading books.
Always remeber that when people pick on you, for whatever reason, they are projecting their own insecurities and unhappines onto you. They are miserable in their own skin, so they want others to feel that way too, and us super short/tall girs are the obvious target.
Being short has its problems, but so does being tall or average. There really isn't an ideal height.
Sending you loads of love! :love2:
nadalinica
Learner
Learner

Postby ouch+gurl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 am

Hey, another woman on the other side of the spectrum here at 5'10/11 (I use cm). I wasn't bullied in any way, went to a good school in that sense but it has been remarked several times. Remarking that I'm a "giraffe" and other not so nice things. Adding on to the fact that I've always been very skinny for my height there's been a lot of assumptions about me having an eating disorder or "needing to eat more", "you can't possibly eat such portions normally". It's not nice to stick out and be different from the norm. I've had terrible posture at times because of feeling insecure about my height around others. I've embraced my more masculine qualities and personality, while maintaing my feminine side.
If people around you truly pick on you for this time and time again that is really disconcerting! At their age they should know better. Some things are fine to joke about in friend groups if it's all in good spirits, but people would clearly know you don't appreciate it or else you'd chuckle along. You should say the next time that you don't appreciate being made fun of and taken back to a bad time in your life because of it. As said above, your heigh doesn't define you. It wasn't even in your control, you were just born that way! There are ups and down about being both short or tall after all. People who are meanspirited about these things should be ashamed.
ouch+gurl
Lurker
Lurker

Postby orange glow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

You are all beautiful and just because we live in a stupid world that overvalues looks, that is not your fault. People get terrorized because they don't look like the girl on the advertisement poster. How stupid have we become? Lead by example and valuate your inner self more, be the most beautiful version of the inner you and screw the haters who comment on your looks. They value cheap shots, tells all you need to know about them; AVOID.
orange glow
Learner
Learner

Postby Justalkin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 am

Thank you to everyone who replied. Your words of encouragement really mean a lot. I see that a lot of you deal with this kinda stuff too being on the opposite side of the spectrum. I wish society was more understanding that it's ok to be both short, tall, or in between. Next time anyone tries to make me feel bad about my height I just won't pay attention to it. :love2:
Justalkin
Informer
Informer

Postby clocksgotick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 am

being short is the best sister! own ur height!
clocksgotick
Wallflower
Wallflower

Postby VideoVixenAnon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 am

I also am very short, I’m 5ft2 and I thought I was 5ft4 it was hard to here. However I’ve come to realise height doesn’t mean anything. As long as you’re a good person that’s all that matters. And anyone who bullies u because of ur height is not worth ur time because obviously they aren’t very good people. People bully because of their own insecurities it’s not a reflection on you.
VideoVixenAnon
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby VideoVixenAnon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 am

Also, you’re beautiful the way you are. All you gotta do is own it!
VideoVixenAnon
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby MiSSiizZ+ » Sat May 05, 2018 7:31 am

I'm in late 20s with 5'1 and I dont give a f*** when people mock me any more (I used to when I was younger).
I'm not trying to wear heels to impressed them, actually for my case heels draw more attention from these people.
These days when someone try to tease me about my height I just smile back at them and forget about it.
I just focus on whatever makes me happy about myself like putting on makeup, dressed up pretty and other things that pleased me.

Also I find myself enjoy being petite more when I know what my style is and what looks good on me by knowing my body type.
MiSSiizZ+
Lurker
Lurker

Postby Eltive » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 pm

its interesting
Eltive
Wanderer
Wanderer

• Advertisement

Return to GG Advice Column
VigLink badge