Has thanked: 0

Re: BestDressed - Ashley aka BarelyDressed Pt. 2

Post by Lena999 »

toTheBasementPeople wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 pm
lomlyhm wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:07 pm
some comments on the account "dresslikebestdressed"
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.51.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.51.19 PM.png
honestly not surprised, she's been getting a bunch of comments asking her to wear her mask outside in the most recent outdoor one as well as people begging her to do the bare minimum to post about myanmar and the uptick of hate crimes against asian american elders but nothing...
not posting about hate crimes against AsAm is one thing but she's literally ethnically from Myanmar... she's pretty much the only Burmese person I can think of and she's not posting about it which is extremely upsetting because when she *does* talk about AsAm issues, it's either about being fetishized or some surface-level bobal liberal bs
This is going to be controversial but bringing up world atrocities like what is happening in Myanmar just for the sake of having mentioned it is just virtue signaling. Seriously, what value does an influencer who mainly talks about fashion, relationships and sex have to add about world issues like that? If you're going to bring up something with that amount of gravity, you can't afford to be superficial about it. Ashley's platform really doesn't lend itself well to that, so I definitely understand her avoiding it.

Like, if she just makes some generic statement about how absolutely horrible it is, people will say that isn't enough or that she's virtue signaling. If she does go in depth, people will jump on her because it diverges from her usual content and they also will probably police every single word she says, because these kinds of subjects always bring out the armchair experts. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Might as well not burn yourself, especially since she is ethnically linked to it and probably has her own personal feelings surrounding it, if she has actual ties there.

Her bringing up stuff like AsAm being fetishized is a much less touchy subject, plus it's actually relevant to her channel because that kind of thing affects relationships and sex, two things she frequently discusses.

Lena999
Talker
Talker

Post by Lena999 »

himeyoko wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:18 pm
I must admit I do like Ashley's content. Not a fan of all of her choice but such is life. I do think she needs to go to a therapist like, yesterday. I also really am incredibly disappointed at her uploading videos on Youtube. A quick update would be nice. I remember a while back she asked if her audience would prefer amazingly edited longer videos (frequent) or maybe not as amazingly edited and shorter but more frequent videos. I understand that it's a panoramic but it's a bit ridiculous at this point. Even Youtubers who have a proven record of not being consistent have gotten their shit together a bit (I'm looking at Sierra Furtado- at least in terms of uploading). I get she moved to NYC right before the world stopped, I get that she probably has felt displaced and depressed and everything. I get it. I moved into my first apartment during these crazy times and it's been incredibly lonely and strange because it's not like I can go to parties or anything to meet people BUT I'm making the best of it and being an adult and handling my stuff. I just do not understand. She states she's a film major proudly and does nothing to prove to us that she wants to do something with that.She is not consistent and it bothers me so much because she remains someone that I want content from. I know for a fact that lots of people (including me) DM her on Insta/TikTok asking her to come back to Youtube or at least really address/ make a post saying that she's taking a break from Youtube but radio silence. It is incredibly frustrating.

Sorry that I went off on a rant.
I think a lot of influences/youtubers get to that point where they are in a slump, content wise. Add a pandemic on top of that, and her mental health struggles, that's not a good combination. I can def understand her having a hard time coming up with content that feels somewhat new and fresh. As for the film major stuff, honestly, I think trying to get into that industry is super hard work (and who wants to do that, not Ashley), and back when she graduated her channel had taken off in a big way, so I think she just got complacent like so many influencers do when they start making good money. She probably has a good base income from all her popular old videos and stuff. Easy to sit around and do nothing. I've seen it with Nikki Blacketter as well. Once she hit the big numbers in followers and subs she just stopped doing much because there's zero incentive.

himeyoko
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by himeyoko »

Lena999 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:50 am
himeyoko wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:18 pm
I must admit I do like Ashley's content. Not a fan of all of her choice but such is life. I do think she needs to go to a therapist like, yesterday. I also really am incredibly disappointed at her uploading videos on Youtube. A quick update would be nice. I remember a while back she asked if her audience would prefer amazingly edited longer videos (frequent) or maybe not as amazingly edited and shorter but more frequent videos. I understand that it's a panoramic but it's a bit ridiculous at this point. Even Youtubers who have a proven record of not being consistent have gotten their shit together a bit (I'm looking at Sierra Furtado- at least in terms of uploading). I get she moved to NYC right before the world stopped, I get that she probably has felt displaced and depressed and everything. I get it. I moved into my first apartment during these crazy times and it's been incredibly lonely and strange because it's not like I can go to parties or anything to meet people BUT I'm making the best of it and being an adult and handling my stuff. I just do not understand. She states she's a film major proudly and does nothing to prove to us that she wants to do something with that.She is not consistent and it bothers me so much because she remains someone that I want content from. I know for a fact that lots of people (including me) DM her on Insta/TikTok asking her to come back to Youtube or at least really address/ make a post saying that she's taking a break from Youtube but radio silence. It is incredibly frustrating.

Sorry that I went off on a rant.
I think a lot of influences/youtubers get to that point where they are in a slump, content wise. Add a pandemic on top of that, and her mental health struggles, that's not a good combination. I can def understand her having a hard time coming up with content that feels somewhat new and fresh. As for the film major stuff, honestly, I think trying to get into that industry is super hard work (and who wants to do that, not Ashley), and back when she graduated her channel had taken off in a big way, so I think she just got complacent like so many influencers do when they start making good money. She probably has a good base income from all her popular old videos and stuff. Easy to sit around and do nothing. I've seen it with Nikki Blacketter as well. Once she hit the big numbers in followers and subs she just stopped doing much because there's zero incentive.

Yeah. Like I understand struggling with content and mental health and all that stuff. I think my issue is more along the lines of Youtubers like Ashley tend to really own the fact that Youtube/social media is their job. BUT they often disappear for months on end (which is fair! mental health and life and all that..it's understandable that sometimes people need breaks) without giving warning or updates or a quick "Yo I am going to need a break from posting on X but I'll still be active on Y." IF you say Youtube is a real job then there is a level of accountability needed. Like she's obviously posting on Instagram, sometimes multiple times a day. There is no reason why she cannot address her absence on Youtube on Insta, in a five second story. It's what I did with my channel when I took a break due to mental health and pandemic and everything last year. but oh well.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

I wish "content creators" would just stop claiming a schedule and then breaking it before even uploading 2 or 3 things on their new supposed schedule. Look at Taylor Swift. Her fans didn't EXPECT her to come out with a new album every set amount of months, they were just stoked when she created new albums for them to listen to at her own pace and based on when she felt inspired to. I totally get that social media sites tend to favor regular uploads, but look at Safiya, still breaking the algorithm every time she uploads her twice-yearly video about soap. Ashley would get plenty of boost from the YT algorithm if she just created a vlog or outfit video as she felt inspired to, and her fans would be excited for as much new content as she wanted to put out, but I also think they'd be 100% supportive if she said "I want to give you guys videos that I'm excited to make, which means sometimes I might make 3 in a week, and sometimes I might go months without having inspiration."

JessicaLovejoy
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by JessicaLovejoy »

Her hair looks really bad lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ciaokitty
Learner
Learner

Post by Ciaokitty »

Tiffany Ferg made a video called "Why do popular YTers stop uploading" with Ashley in the thumbnail:

acelesbie
Stalker
Stalker
Been thanked: 0

Post by acelesbie »

It looks like her main subreddit that worships her (r/bestdressed) is shutting down, and that there's a newer one: r/best_dressed. I guess they're more critical, so maybe something will happen?

chesh_cat
Talker
Talker

Post by chesh_cat »

Her manic pixie dream girl poem was the most cringe thing ive ever seen lately oh wow

“Sincerely signed,
The manic pixie dream girl in your bed”

Lmao

Ciaokitty
Learner
Learner

Post by Ciaokitty »

Looking at her instagram pics from the last months: This woman had a glow DOWN.

fluffer
Lurker
Lurker

Post by fluffer »

I wonder if tiktok's influenced her change. That little girl look on her bed is disturbing. I know it's not new for her to be dressing in short miniskirts and bralettes, but it seems like another level now. That half pink/ black hair too. I'm not entirely sure what her aim is these days. Hope she'd doing okay, but it doesn't seem likely.

Ciaokitty
Learner
Learner

Post by Ciaokitty »

Maybe it's an rebellious phase?

avocadocat
Learner
Learner

Post by avocadocat »

Is anyone in her subreddit still? I left a few days before it was locked. (I’m assuming because broey deschanel misappropriating screen shots from the sub for her crap video — also comparing Ashley to princess diana was a BIT MUCH)

avocadocat
Learner
Learner

Post by avocadocat »

fluffer wrote:
> I wonder if tiktok's influenced her change. That little girl look on her
> bed is disturbing. I know it's not new for her to be dressing in short
> miniskirts and bralettes, but it seems like another level now. That half
> pink/ black hair too. I'm not entirely sure what her aim is these days.
> Hope she'd doing okay, but it doesn't seem likely.

When she had her significant weight loss I noticed her showing more skin and I guess it just slowly devolved from there. Pre weight loss she actually put wearable clothes together to showcase an outfit. Now, she puts non-functional Instagram clothes together to showcase her body. Her style weirdly reminds me of Eugenia Cooney now. Remember when people were excited she was moving to NYC because we thought she would put together more realistic cold-weather outfits?? Yeah me either.

Ciaokitty
Learner
Learner

Post by Ciaokitty »

avocadocat wrote:
> Is anyone in her subreddit still? I left a few days before it was locked.
> (I’m assuming because broey deschanel misappropriating screen shots from
> the sub for her crap video — also comparing Ashley to princess diana was a
> BIT MUCH)

Whoops,I missed that! So did Broey Deschanel a video on her which was put offline again?

Gummo_Sevigny
Informer
Informer

Post by Gummo_Sevigny »

avocadocat wrote:
> Is anyone in her subreddit still? I left a few days before it was locked.
> (I’m assuming because broey deschanel misappropriating screen shots from
> the sub for her crap video — also comparing Ashley to princess diana was a
> BIT MUCH)
That was so dumb lol BD is just another moron hipster who went to film school and thinks she knows EVERYTHING about film.

Ciaokitty
Learner
Learner

Post by Ciaokitty »

Aha. Thanks for the clarification - NOT.

avocadocat
Learner
Learner

Post by avocadocat »

Broey deschanel made a video and used screenshots of posts from the subreddit. Although many of the posts she used were valid criticism, she read them in a very— for lack of a better word— bitchy tone to intentionally misconstrue the meaning. She got a lot of backlash for it and her comments section was going wild. Basically broey accused ashelys fans of having a toxic parasocial relationship with Ashley, and in the comments people were calling out broeys blindness to valid criticism equally toxic and parasocial. Idk if it’s still on her channel, but it was about influencers in general and Ashley was the third act topic in which she was likened to princess diana.

Off the top of my head, from what I remember.

avocadocat
Learner
Learner

Post by avocadocat »

Ciaokitty wrote:
> Aha. Thanks for the clarification - NOT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPxktlHjKEU&t=2197s

This is the video. The bit about Ashley comes up towards the end.

Ciaokitty
Learner
Learner

Post by Ciaokitty »

Thank you! :) <3

avocadocat
Learner
Learner

Post by avocadocat »

Ciaokitty wrote:
> Thank you! :) <3

No problem, let me know what you think! I think she scrubbed a lot of the comments. When I watched there was a pinned comment from broey acknowledging that in particular Ashley’s COVID criticisms were at least reasonable, and backtracked a bit, but then argued with people under the pinned comment. Very messy.

Return to “A-E”