lmao if that’s her screenplay it sounds like shit

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: bestdressed r/ihavesex (Part 2)

Post by DreamyCat »

Looks like the only screenplay award Ashley will ever be getting (if she’s lucky lmao) is a Razzie. Her writing ideas sounds like the kind of movie Michael Cera would starr in. Whoever told her she had talent in writing was cruel. It looks like she only majored in film because she wanted to be different and quirky and not because she actually had a passion or talent for it. The movies she lists as her favorites are so mainstream and basic.

Backstreet51
Learner
Learner

Post by Backstreet51 »

DreamyCat wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Looks like the only screenplay award Ashley will ever be getting (if she’s lucky lmao) is a Razzie. Her writing ideas sounds like the kind of movie Michael Cera would starr in. Whoever told her she had talent in writing was cruel. It looks like she only majored in film because she wanted to be different and quirky and not because she actually had a passion or talent for it. The movies she lists as her favorites are so mainstream and basic.
And apart from Before Sunrise/Thelma & Louise, they're all like from 2000+

Majority are 2010s.

Where is the history? Kids these days don't look back. Like what about some CLASSICS? There's a reason they are what they are, and probably a shitload of her faves are influenced by them in some way. I know so many actual film buffs who went to film school and their taste is not only varied, but varied by decades.

It's the same issue she has with fashion. She doesn't actually have knowledge/interest in styles of actual subcultures, or designers. Everything nowadays is this mishmash and you can pick and choose what you like from past decades. But she is a prime example of not having actual knowledge of these while claiming to love ~faShioN~

bitterbitch
Learner
Learner

Post by bitterbitch »

DreamyCat wrote:
I think Ashley’s mentioned before that she only made one actual student film before applying to film school and that applying was kind of a spur of the moment decision. If that doesn’t prove that she doesn’t have any real interest in film, I don’t know what does.

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

bitterbitch wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:27 pm
DreamyCat wrote:
I think Ashley’s mentioned before that she only made one actual student film before applying to film school and that applying was kind of a spur of the moment decision. If that doesn’t prove that she doesn’t have any real interest in film, I don’t know what does.
Wow. This tells me that she really did major in film because she wanted to be the “different” one from her family. Now I understand why her parents didn’t want to pay her college. Not only did she choose to go out of state to a very expensive school and not only did she choose a risky major; she wasn’t even interested in it to begin with. The love and passion for the arts is not something that tends to come out all of a sudden. I know people that I went to high school with who majored in some art field. A girl I knew majored in dance; she started dancing since elementary. Another majored in music; had been in band since 6th grade. Another one majored in art; was in the art club throughout high school and was always drawing.

From what we know she got great grades and was rightfully accepted to the film program but now I’m thinking how sad it was that she probably took the place of someone who had a huge talent and passion for film and who could have gotten in. She wasted someone’s spot on a pathetic attempt at being different. I’m kind of surprised that she got in with just one student film. Either the film was so good they had to let her in, her grades were good and film talent/interest did not matter, or the standards were so low for film that it was enough that she had good grades. Idk what the acceptance requirements for her program were though. Makes the program look not as prestigious as it is claimed to be. Seems fishy.

This is a reach but maybe she majored in film to spite her parents? I mean, she had the grades to manage being in a STEM field as her parents probably wanted her to, and she had no interest in film yet chose it as a major. Or was her desire want to be different so bad that she majored in a field she had no previous interest in? I know many of go into college not knowing what to major in but it seems she decided on film right when she applied to UCLA which seems oddly specific and not a good fit for her.

toTheBasementPeople
Informer
Informer

Post by toTheBasementPeople »

ashley's application for the film major was clearly impressive enough for her to get in. i do agree that it's sad that the spot could've gone to somebody who actually wants to be a screenwriter, but it is what it is.

btw, i think ashley has loved the process of making videos/films because she had an animation channel as a kid and participated in the all american high school film fest. so it wasnt completely out of left field necessarily.

also, i dont think that she needs to like the classics to actually be into film. that's like saying that if somebody was into music, they need to have favorite artists from different decades which is totally not true. her taste is contemporary and she pretends to be way less mainstream than she is, but i think she's into film.

i dont know if you watched any of the aesthetic yters from '13-16, but they were virtually all film majors and i think that ashley wanted to fit into that crowd

sidenote: while i like her video editing style for yt, her student films are puuurrrreeeee shit. yt is the best option for her (not in a rude way). the little animation she made was shit, the short films she made were shit, that one music video she made was shit, pure shit. i know that its student work but it looks like work from a community collage film class. i adore her yt editing and i think it works for yt but her student film projects 🥵

bitterbitch
Learner
Learner

Post by bitterbitch »

Ok I found the video I was talking about, at around the 4:30 mark, Ashley talks about her college application process. You guys can make what you want of it, I definitely do think Ashley is interested in film, but I’m not sure if she’s just quite passionate enough to make a career out of it.

Backstreet51
Learner
Learner

Post by Backstreet51 »

toTheBasementPeople wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:39 pm

also, i dont think that she needs to like the classics to actually be into film. that's like saying that if somebody was into music, they need to have favorite artists from different decades which is totally not true. her taste is contemporary and she pretends to be way less mainstream than she is, but i think she's into film.

nah I disagree. Of course people can be a big fan of music/film and only like new stuff. But I'm talking about if you want to work in the field. That's what's weird. So it's the same with film for me. I work in music and it would just make no sense to not be aware of what's happened before. You'd look ridiculous if you didn't know anything. And I think her taste reflects the fact she is not looking back at all.

makemeasquare
Informer
Informer

Post by makemeasquare »

i dont know if you watched any of the aesthetic yters from '13-16, but they were virtually all film majors and i think that ashley wanted to fit into that crowd
Ohhh - like who? I wasn't big into the aesthetic youtube years - I was in grad school so I basically just watched meditation videos to keep from crying on the reg.

FWIW I agree with you about it being fine to prefer one genre. I'm an art historian by education (and sometimes profession) and going to a museum with my mum kills me because she expects me to be able to interpret any futzy old painting in the museum to her. Bitch, I don't know rococo still lifes. You wanna find a Kent Monkman or an Ai Wei Wei we can talk - I deal with post-modern art.

I think Ashley would have been best served by a program that did offer more opportunities for in-depth study about digital media - which she referenced in a few videos as being pretty lacking at UCLA and the professors being out of touch with contemporary issues and developments. But what programs offer that kind of responsive and pace-kept approach to modern online media, I simply do not know.

toTheBasementPeople
Informer
Informer

Post by toTheBasementPeople »

makemeasquare wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 pm
Ohhh - like who? I wasn't big into the aesthetic youtube years - I was in grad school so I basically just watched meditation videos to keep from crying on the reg.

FWIW I agree with you about it being fine to prefer one genre. I'm an art historian by education (and sometimes profession) and going to a museum with my mum kills me because she expects me to be able to interpret any futzy old painting in the museum to her. Bitch, I don't know rococo still lifes. You wanna find a Kent Monkman or an Ai Wei Wei we can talk - I deal with post-modern art.

I think Ashley would have been best served by a program that did offer more opportunities for in-depth study about digital media - which she referenced in a few videos as being pretty lacking at UCLA and the professors being out of touch with contemporary issues and developments. But what programs offer that kind of responsive and pace-kept approach to modern online media, I simply do not know.
lol! Like radhaggis, bertie gilbert, kickthepj, jack howard, hazel hayes, and a few smaller ones (the names i listed weren't all necessarily aesthetic yters but they have the aesthetic that ashley wants to go for)

i think you should be well-versed in the history of your profession, obviously, but like you said, you dont have the like older stuff. having contemporary tastes does not make you any less professional. as long as you are aware of influential works, there's nothing wrong with it. im 100% positive that she had to sit through countless of influential old films and write about them.

i think she should've taken a communications course because they do deeper into new media and depending on where you go to school, you can specialize in new media. although i dont think she would go for it because

1. communications is seen as an inferior, basic major
2. she probably assumes that she doesnt need a degree to learn about it
3. film will make her seem more intellectual and i think if yt didnt take off she would be doing something in the film industry. you dont just take the internships she did if you didnt want to work in the film industry at all.

buuutt she really should've majored in communications and minored in film (idk if thats possible) because it would've taught her more about ethics in media...

i might be wrong but i think conan grey was going to study communications at ucla and he talked about his experience briefly

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:16 pm
makemeasquare wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 pm

lol! Like radhaggis, bertie gilbert, kickthepj, jack howard, hazel hayes, and a few smaller ones (the names i listed weren't all necessarily aesthetic yters but they have the aesthetic that ashley wants to go for)

i think you should be well-versed in the history of your profession, obviously, but like you said, you dont have the like older stuff. having contemporary tastes does not make you any less professional. as long as you are aware of influential works, there's nothing wrong with it. im 100% positive that she had to sit through countless of influential old films and write about them.

i think she should've taken a communications course because they do deeper into new media and depending on where you go to school, you can specialize in new media. although i dont think she would go for it because

1. communications is seen as an inferior, basic major
2. she probably assumes that she doesnt need a degree to learn about it
3. film will make her seem more intellectual and i think if yt didnt take off she would be doing something in the film industry. you dont just take the internships she did if you didnt want to work in the film industry at all.

buuutt she really should've majored in communications and minored in film (idk if thats possible) because it would've taught her more about ethics in media...

i might be wrong but i think conan grey was going to study communications at ucla and he talked about his experience briefly
I don’t think a film “scholar” or whatever should be exclusively in love with old classic movies or even know all about them. There’s plenty of modern films that are considered among the best of all times. If loving old movies made someone a good screenwriter/film historian then no more movies would be made or even considered for critique. Many would even argue that old classics are extremely inferior compared to modern films in regards to acting, image quality, sound, etc. But I digress. I think the observation here is that for someone who is an “intellectual” and is supposedly passionate about film, most of Ashley’s favorite films are basic AF and not exactly a representation of the best contemporary movies. Yes yes people are allowed to like what they like but we aren’t talking about a regular member of the audience, we are talking about someone who wants to be a screenwriter. Sorry, but for a person who majored in film from a very prestigious college and who thrives on pretending she’s a deep, unique thinker I would expect more intellect and individuality in her tastes.

bunny__
Informer
Informer

Post by bunny__ »

I'm just amazed her perfectionism and fear of failure is so strong that she graduated with the major she got in with. You seldom find a college kid who doesn't switch majors at least once. I imagine she got jaded after her internships and instead of sucking it up to change majors and redo coursework she decided to graduate incredibly fast instead because she knew she wouldn't really need her degree but the piece of paper makes her more impressive. I've met more hobbyist movie watchers who exude more passion for movies than what she shows.

She has nearly 0 film content on her YT when she could be doing shit like recreating or reinterpreting fashion in film, listicles, video essays, hell even showing off or doing photos at LA film spots. Her love of fashion and movies could have made for great content.

jelly-slug
Talker
Talker

bestdressed r/ihavesex (Part 2)

Post by jelly-slug »

wondering if there’s a new video this week or if she’s still off for the holidays. she’s been pretty quiet on socials lately

neonbunny
Learner
Learner

Post by neonbunny »

jelly-slug wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 pm
wondering if there’s a new video this week or if she’s still off for the holidays. she’s been pretty quiet on socials lately
She did upload a video a few moments ago. And it's just... sex jokes... weird back shots... her flashing her bra for no reason, talking about movies and her screenplay, yada yada yada....

I must say tho, I almost puked when she started cleaning her bathroom. This girl says she cleans it every week and lol nope, that seems like it haven't been touched in forever... :roll:

heresyourfuture
Learner
Learner

Post by heresyourfuture »

lol she conveniently touched on almost every criticism brought up in this thread within the last video... & why is she STILL going so far out of her way to make awkward sex jokes her personal brand? it’s not as charming, endearing, or funny as she thinks it is

Post by Guest »

idk why it's annoying me so much that she's coming to NYC :roll: she's just going to romanticize the shit out of the city with her pictures of tall buildings and shit, and she's going to conveniently ignore all the issues that the city is going through rn like the increased homeless population and the increase in attacks against the orthodox jewish population. there was a student from my sister school who was stabbed to death from a mugging just a few weeks ago too.... i can totally see her trying to live in the east village where all the "cool" kids are, ugh. i'm so annoyed

abidot
Talker
Talker

Post by abidot »

One of her 2020 goals is to make more meaningful content yet she persists on inserting her sex comments/jokes (which are getting more painfully annoying with every upload) and self-deprecating jokes in!! every!! video!! And her subs eat it up and validate the shit out of her for it. Jesus why is she so intolerable.

She also calls herself a basic bitch for liking bullet journaling and it’s like,, sis you are ALLOWED to like things that other people like. Stop shitting on yourself and posting it for over 2 million people to see it!!

Post by Guest »

This latest video made me realize something: Ashley is the real life Margo Roth Spiegelman from John Green's Paper Towns.

- Tries too hard to be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl

- Drags guys into her ~qUirKy~ adventures so frequently that they get sick of her and drop her (like how Q does to Margo by the end of the book)

- r/im14andthisisdeep

- Runs off to God knows where once every three months because she doesn't want to be "defined"

- "'Interesting capitalization,' I said.
'Yeah. I'm a big believer in random capitalization. The rules of capitalization are so unfair to words in the middle.'" - Paper Towns (this is definitely in reference to the random ass capitalization in her bullet journal lol)

LoveNow
Informer
Informer

Post by LoveNow »

The reason she continues to make sex jokes and self deprecating comments in the name of humor is bc her young and dumb fans eat that shit up. I’ve seen so many comments saying how they love her sense of humor, how she’s so relatable bc of it, and that she should have her own Netflix show. This just tells you that she appeals to the immature, fake deep 14 yr olds with nothing better to do

jelly-slug
Talker
Talker

Post by jelly-slug »

I think it’s part of her marketing and branding strategy but it’s just so weird that she tries to appeal to younger viewers so much. what’s wrong with making videos for people your own age or people who are in a similar stage in life?

sure teenagers are probably more likely to watch but this whole big sis Ashley thing is kind of silly in my opinion. It’s better that she makes quality videos rather than trying to appeal to so many people. plus the topics she addresses aren’t really catered for younger viewers. it’s more so her approach to them is what draws younger people in.

she says she doesn’t want to appeal to the lowest common denominator when it comes to making videos. but her jokes are doing exactly that.

“Chunky period” is a phrase I never want to hear again...Blegh.

Return to “A-E”