Dr. Dray

ana3kie
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dr. Dray

Post by ana3kie »

Dermatologist who does skincare videos and daily vlogs. Not sure how I feel about her... Thoughts?

Shoulda_Left_It
Debater
Debater

Re: Dr. Dray

Post by Shoulda_Left_It »

ana3kie wrote:Dermatologist who does skincare videos and daily vlogs. Not sure how I feel about her... Thoughts?

I tried to watch a few of her videos but can't stand her. I can't get past how she is obviously severely underweight and looks like a bobblehead doll. All I keep thinking is You are a Doctor!!! You have to know you are NOT healthy. Can't take advise from someone like that, no matter what they're supposed credentials.

Ingot
Learner
Learner

Post by Ingot »

I think she is totally gross. Bad skin, obviously anorexic and thinks she can give advice.

ana3kie
Learner
Learner

Post by ana3kie »

I don’t really mind her skincare videos, but I can’t watch her vlogs (she makes me too uncomfortable). I’m guessing her comment section is highly monitored, I’ve never seen any comments on her appearance. Does she still practice? Also strange her obsession with the sun and the way she doesn’t associate with anyone but her mom. I honestly thought she was a cancer patient when I first started watching her...

chergui
Stalker
Stalker

Post by chergui »

I left a fairly innocuous comment about her using Moon Juice products/the pseudoscience used to market it and it was deleted very quickly. I'm guessing there are certain key words she filters - I did use the verb "eat" in my comment :roll:

bwuppie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bwuppie »

Watching her skincare videos has definitely helped me improve my skin on a budget. My acne was so bad before taking her advice. However, it is difficult to watch her vlogs. I feel like she acts older than she is? She doesn't have kids and isn't married, the only real commitments she has are Youtube and her job. I feel like she is kinda wasting her life away by being around her mom all the time.

tara incognita
Informer
Informer

Post by tara incognita »

I'm fascinated by her. She's obviously deeply in her exercise addiction and orthorexia; I think she uses veganism to restrict. When she includes clips of doing blogilates or weird dance moves (trying to look cute/quirky), she looks like a skeleton puppet. Her food is disgusting: cauliflower oatmeal with fruit and nutritional yeast and dulce and random steamed vegetables.
:barf:

I'm guessing no one in her life can talk to her about her weight because she's an MD (maybe a MD/PhD?) and "knows best." All the sunscreen in the world won't help the wrinkles she'll get from not having any subcutaneous fat.

She wants to live in the same apartment complex as her mom/BFF. I wonder if she'll continue to sleep over every weekend once they're neighbors? Between Andrea's loud, nasal twang and her mom's high-pitched, gravel voice, they probably can't find anyone else who can stand listening to them. No wonder Tybee's face is permanently tear-stained.

tadahhhhh
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tadahhhhh »

She looks like E.T...
I like her skincare advice but I can't watch her. Too triggering :(

emmygues
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by emmygues »

Her skincare advice is sound. I mainly found her after lurking on SCA and looking for videos on the most raved about products.

However, I can't watch her videos without thinking she's sick. It bothers me too much to watch her.

ludirudi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ludirudi »

Finally. A topic about her. Been watching her on and off for a while now and it's so strange how she either is sick or has some kind of eating/exercise disorder despite working in the medical industry. It's obv she moderates the ever loving heck out of her comment section too.

Cutepuppy1
Learner
Learner

Post by Cutepuppy1 »

I think she gives pretty solid information. She's not the glorified salesperson type, such as Caroline Hirons (steer clear of most of her advice, read about this in Abhorred Bloggers section). I watched several of Dr. Dray's videos and put together a my own very simple but effective skin care routine without fancy products. However, I'm not subscribed. She posts too frequently, and I have no interest in her vlogs. Her voice is harsh. She's so thin it's a bit disturbing to watch. I'm not sure she has an eating disorder or just super high metabolism combined with a lot of running. But I would search her channel if I had a topic come up that I wanted to learn more about from a dermatologist's perspective.

flopflop
Informer
Informer

Post by flopflop »

Yes, I'm so glad there's finally a topic on her! There was once a topic on the gossip bakery but they shut it down because apparently we weren't gossiping about her nicely enough. Not suspect at all.

Anyway.

I trust her skincare advice way more than any other youtuber shilling whatever brand throws some $ their way. But something about her is off and she makes me sad. Her world seems really small. She has such a weird codependent relationship with her mother and does the same couple things every single day. Whenever she's with her mother and shows her on film, the first thing she says is "you look nice" to her mother. Like every single time. I can predict the exact moment she will say it. It just comes across as robotic and insincere. And in almost every skincare talk video she makes a big production of her Totoro mug. I get that these are weird things to nitpick, but they're just a couple of many things that give me weird vibes with her.

artheusa
Debater
Debater

Post by artheusa »

I'm disappointed in her that when she does sponsored videos, she never clarifies it in the video itself, but puts an itsy bitsy disclaimer in the information box below amongst affiliate links. If you're sponsored to do a video, it's considered an ad and you have to be completely clear about it. Not nice Dr, I was rooting for you.

Whiterose90
Talker
Talker

Post by Whiterose90 »

I used to watch her but I can't anymore. Im not one to diagnose over the internet but I think its blatantly obvious that she has an eating disorder. It is actually is disturbing to watch and therefore I can't trust her advice at all.

ludirudi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ludirudi »

Anyone else feel like she is lurking in that beautyguruchatter thread about her on reddit making the defensive comments?

I know for a fact that she deletes any mention of weight, food, nutrition in her comment sections and it's blatantly obvious she has something going on.

flopflop
Informer
Informer

Post by flopflop »

She legit looked like a cancer patient in today's vlog when her mom showed her in that chair at Ikea. It's not healthy how obsessive she is with covering every square inch of her skin from the sun. Like yeah, put on some sunscreen and do your best to stay protected, but live your life a little. I think she has some OCD tendencies.

anaeuropa
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by anaeuropa »

I find it disturbing how little she eats yet goes to the gym every day. She basically eats zero carbs. Her being vegan is just a way of limiting the stuff she allows herself to eat. I could not even function with that little calorie intake, let alone work as a doctor. I feel sorry for her, she seems like a really nice and down to earth person. She is obviously battling her inner demons.
:(

flopflop
Informer
Informer

Post by flopflop »

I think she went through some hard times when she was younger. I did some internet detective work because that's what I do when I'm nosy and can't sleep, and it looks like she had a sister who passed away at 4 years old when Andrea was around 10. That explains why her mother babies her so much. Super sad.

Shoulda_Left_It
Debater
Debater

Post by Shoulda_Left_It »

ludirudi wrote:Anyone else feel like she is lurking in that beautyguruchatter thread about her on reddit making the defensive comments?

I know for a fact that she deletes any mention of weight, food, nutrition in her comment sections and it's blatantly obvious she has something going on.
Yes! I thought that might be her...especially when they got defensive and started comparing it to fat shaming and saying they didn't know how the mods weren't shutting the sub down.

Tsubaki
Informer
Informer

Post by Tsubaki »

They shut down a topic on her in Gossip Bakery? What?! What were you guys even going on about to make them close the thread? I mean, if K.Braly's board is OK... I don't even know. Dr Dray gives solid skincare advice so I reckon the only thing you guys would go on about is her appearance and very likely eating disorder.

I can't watch her videos either. Call me a skinny shamer but she legitimately looks unhealthy, as in she doesn't have balance in her eating and exercise.

Return to “Dr. Dray”