Eva in the City

daddyoh
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eva in the City

Post by daddyoh »

i feel like she would have been in a better spot financially if she'd have been better with money. she didn't need multiple pairs of the same common project sneakers, tods loafers or chanel flats. those have zero resale value, especially with the way she takes care of her things.

i appreciate that she's realistic about needing to sell items vs having a ton of unused bags just for a cute video background, at least.

i think it's time for her and alen to ease up on the city breaks and take a more stable job than just temping.

Lillian_nicole
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Lillian_nicole »

notsosilly10 wrote:Eva us selling her Chanel reissue.

She paid £3300 and is selling for £3200 :rofl:

She also said that she is not looking at making profit but let's be honest the fact that she is selling so close to the price that she paid is a joke.

This bag has been overly used and abused and we don't actually know the real condition of the bag as she doesn't seem to look after her stuff.
Seriously? I thought the video made a few good points regarding debt but she literally just lost all (albeit small) credibility she gained. It’s also ironic how she’s going on about not being able to pay off a credit card but recently bought that Loewe bag that goes for at least $2000 (idk how much in pounds) :roll: girl has no idea what she’s on about

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

It is interesting that she made a video talking about her finances.

What doesn't make sense to me is that she is willing to sell her Chanel bag to pay off her debt so then she can go and go on trips and go shopping again.

She keep talking about those maison margiela boots and I bet once she sell the bag she will buy them.

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

We all know why she is finding herself in this position.

She travelled a lot last year and did a bit of travelling this year as well.
On top of that she has so many expensive perfumes that she doesn't need all that.

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

daddyoh wrote:i feel like she would have been in a better spot financially if she'd have been better with money. she didn't need multiple pairs of the same common project sneakers, tods loafers or chanel flats. those have zero resale value, especially with the way she takes care of her things.

i appreciate that she's realistic about needing to sell items vs having a ton of unused bags just for a cute video background, at least.

i think it's time for her and alen to ease up on the city breaks and take a more stable job than just temping.
I agree, she could have been better with money but that's all stuff she used to do. What matters now is if she continues to buy so much luxury and (honestly none-luxur) items going forward.

She got a permanent job sometime before they moved in together, not sure what Alen does. And shes definitely cut down on the bag & fragrance purchase i just don't think she realised that they would need to cut down a lot less than they have once they had bills and rent to pay

fjordr
Lurker
Lurker

Post by fjordr »

I have a feeling she will regret it once she sell it? She said she wanted a medium size which is even more expensive it will take ages to save up for that or maybe she has to buy on credit. Point is, the reissue is the most valuable in her collection and as someone mentioned in the YT comments, she should sell the loewe or something more contemporary instead of selling the reissue and then she basically is at scratch again. Also seems like she has swapped the luxury goods shopping with travels, the spending need is still strong.

fjordr
Lurker
Lurker

Post by fjordr »

I have a feeling she will regret it once she sell it? She said she wanted a medium size which is even more expensive it will take ages to save up for that or maybe she has to buy on credit. Point is, the reissue is the most valuable in her collection and as someone mentioned in the YT comments, she should sell the loewe or something more contemporary instead of selling the reissue and then she basically is at scratch again. Also seems like she has swapped the luxury goods shopping with travels, the spending need is still strong.

Coffeelover23
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Coffeelover23 »

Eva came across as pretty clueless with regards to money when she was (totally waffling) on in the last vlog. She is basically robbing Peter to pay Paul with all this juggling. It sounded like she has absolutely no savings whatsoever and if she has credit card debt then her net worth is actually a negative figure. Surprising that someone is their late 20s would not have squirreled away at least a small savings pot for the future- does she ever want to own a property?
Its clear that her former 'luxury lifestyle' persona was entirely fabricated and a false representation of her means. She should have just owned who she was/what she could afford and worked with that, although I guess she isn't the first Youtuber to BS.

Post by Guest »

monki wrote:
adel220 wrote:She must have some really bad money issues. The fact that she is having trouble paying a couple grand off her credit card is sad. Let’s be real, a couple grand isn’t exactly chump change but one should be able to pay off the entire balance without having to make payments.
I'm not sure how a person with an average wage and no savings would pay off 2 grand without payments? I feel like we watched two different videos. Its not that she was having troubles paying it off, she just wanted to pay it off faster so she could be in a more secure financially straight away.

As someone same age as Eva I think it was a great video and she made some really good points. So many of my friends and colleagues are in the same position. And instead of making better choices all they do is complain or worse get another credit card to pay off the first one.
I guess I didn’t realize that she didn’t earn as much as I thought. Nor did I realize she didn’t have any savings. I haven’t watched Eva in a long time; actually this video is the first video I’ve watched in months.

Personally for me I don’t like the idea of making payments on something long term unless it’s for a car or a house. I’m sure the couple grand was an accumulation of other things as she hasn’t bought luxury in a long time, but if I’m not earning a lot of money, I’d try to avoid that situation if possible.

graylights
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by graylights »

She clearly lacks a lot of knowledge in the personal finance department if she doesn't have any savings or retirement contributions by 28... but I think the video topic opens an interesting discussion in the luxury community on YouTube that is long overdue... If all these luxury YouTubers would state what their total CC bill is before they do another "unboxing" and Hermes haul video, it would put these purchases into a lot more perspective for a lot of people and feed less into this materialistic, consumerist mindset that the community breeds. Like yeah, that Birkin looks nice, but yikes that you're making $600 monthly payments on a $15k credit card bill. How many channels are just keeping up with appearances and how many channels are truly wealthy (like Amelia, etc).

It drives me insane when YouTubers make videos like "How I saved for my first Chanel!" and it's stupid shit like "I didn't buy coffee for a month!" like yeah, you and I both know that that isn't how any of this works.

These idiots all go around calling these bags "investments" and whatnot but are constantly selling and reselling and rebuying and losing hundreds, if not thousands, per sale. That is the WORST investment I've ever heard of in my life. If this is their idea of investing and resale value, I have no doubt in my mind that their finances are just as big of a mess.

anonymous123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by anonymous123 »

Eva needs a reality check. She is constantly trying to keep up with the Jones's... not just when she was buying Louis Vuitton and Chanel, but even with her "minimalist" persona, thrifting designer, living in London, traveling (buying experiences), etc etc. You just can't have it all sometimes. And that's ok. I think she's having a very hard time accepting or even understanding that.

Post by Guest »

graylights wrote:She clearly lacks a lot of knowledge in the personal finance department if she doesn't have any savings or retirement contributions by 28... but I think the video topic opens an interesting discussion in the luxury community on YouTube that is long overdue... If all these luxury YouTubers would state what their total CC bill is before they do another "unboxing" and Hermes haul video, it would put these purchases into a lot more perspective for a lot of people and feed less into this materialistic, consumerist mindset that the community breeds. Like yeah, that Birkin looks nice, but yikes that you're making $600 monthly payments on a $15k credit card bill. How many channels are just keeping up with appearances and how many channels are truly wealthy (like Amelia, etc).

It drives me insane when YouTubers make videos like "How I saved for my first Chanel!" and it's stupid shit like "I didn't buy coffee for a month!" like yeah, you and I both know that that isn't how any of this works.

These idiots all go around calling these bags "investments" and whatnot but are constantly selling and reselling and rebuying and losing hundreds, if not thousands, per sale. That is the WORST investment I've ever heard of in my life. If this is their idea of investing and resale value, I have no doubt in my mind that their finances are just as big of a mess.
Seriously!

Look. I'm all for spoiling yourself, whether it means going on a nice trip or buying a luxury handbag. I know that making payments over time can help build credit. But if you have to make long term payments on whatever it is you're spending your money on, I don't think it means you can afford it. Especially if you don't have extra money put away for emergencies or savings. I know everyone's priorities are different and it's none of my business to tell people what to do with their money, but I don't know how people can think that this type of spending is okay.

daddyoh
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by daddyoh »

i forgot about those boots, oh my god. they're fucking hideous. she's dumber than i thought if she's selling a classic bag just to buy them.

bells77
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bells77 »

I think she's in the middle of a reality check. She had some very sensible goals in the video: financial independence, no more credit card and starting to save/get a private pension. Then she says she's still eyeing-up the trotter boots :o I know she didn't say she'd be going straight out to get them, but I don't think she's got as far as realising that luxury goods and lots of travel have to be a low priority now. She could still get good quality items without paying the designer price tag. The Tabi boots are £600. I don't understand how a trend item can be on your radar even a little bit at that price when money's tight and you want to save. If she wanted a pair of quality boots she could find some for much less than £600 without having to resort to false-economy shopping.
Oh my glob! I always wanted to write trashy books for lay-dees!

lavieenrose
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by lavieenrose »

I agree with what has been said. I do feel a bit dumbstruck because she never mentioned using a credit card to fund her luxury purchases. She always said she saved up by not eating out, not taking cabs, etc.. and selling other bags in collection, now she's in debt because of that? She must not have been truthful during those years. I guess she was hoping she would take off as a luxury youtuber but it never happened and reality hit.

lemonlyman
Learner
Learner

Post by lemonlyman »

Eva's rationalising just doesn't make sense to me... she wants to sell the Chanel reissue to pay off her credit card debt- fair enough. But then she says she is planning on rebuying one in a year or so time! So she'll just be back in the same financial situation as before. If she really wants to save money, she needs to actually change her spending habits, and the harsh reality is that she probably can't afford the constant European minibreaks or buying clothes just because they fit her "minimalist" aesthetic.

Brizgos
Informer
Informer

Post by Brizgos »

I remember watching Eva do her unboxing of the Chanel reissue bag. She was so excited as she peeled away the paper wrapping. It is so sad to see her sell her only decent luxury bag in my opinion. Perhaps her credit card bills have increased due to buying furniture for the new place she shares with the bf. I don't know why they have to travel so much unless they plan to have a baby and that would curb travel in the future.
Her fashion sense was never great but now she looks absolutely awful. The haircut looks bad on her and I can't bear to watch her videos anymore but I had to tune in the sale of her Chanel out of curiosity. I just feel sad when I see what she has become.

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

If we take everything Eva said in that video at face value, i don't think her luxury bag purchase have much to do with her credit card debt. She said he has no savings but would always save for her bags. To be fair it seems like money troubles have more to do with moving, they would have put down a deposit, buying their own food and paying bills, and they bought all that furniture and they've still been travelling like mad.

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

If she is selling her bag to have some savings and change the way she shops is one thing, but if she is selling the bag to actually end up buying other things, continuing to travel and do things that she shouldn't then it does not make sense to sell the bag.

What I see is that Eva she enjoys buying expensive stuff, but she doesn't have the budget for it. I wish she could change her mindset and step down a notch.
Why pay £200 on something when she can have one that it is £80. She needs to realize that she is not rich.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

Has she ever mentioned what she did with all the bags her mom handed down to her? Did she sell those too?

I’m glad someone’s talking about finances, budgeting and paying off debt on YouTube, but like someone mentioned above, selling all these things just to replace them with other things is a little misguided. Significant debt is obviously a huge issue with Millenials, especially in the US, but part of being an adult is learning to live within your means. I can’t imagine the traveling is helping save any money, though I’m positive they stay in hostels.

And what about the Loewe?!? I would’ve sold that and kept the Chanel.

Return to “#-E”