Julia Mazzucato

wafflebunnycone
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Julia Mazzucato

Post by wafflebunnycone »

I'm surprised Julia Mazzucato does not have a thread yet!
While I first started following her due to her proficiency and passion for education and makeup artistry, lately I have been slowly finding her absolutely grating and no longer relatable though her constant humble-bragging, pompous attitude, and lack of self-awareness that keeps unraveling. Also, the fact that she keeps trying to mask how privileged she is to afford such luxuries at a young age, her triggering af eating disorder "book" as well as being a white-passing minority as an excuse to gain some kind of consolation from her viewers-- but wait here is a LOUD MEME to make up for it.

Oh yeah, don't forget that she is pre-med and that she can say "thanks for listening to my ted talk" (because she already had one, just to remid you) in case you haven't already heard it multiple times in one video.

Sorry, pettiness is extra today, but she has gotten so much worse over the year and I don't think I am the only one who thinks so anymore.

aftonrymden
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Julia Mazzucato

Post by aftonrymden »

Woah how fun you just created one, I was looking all over for her... I really liked her too, and have been watching her declutters just because we seem to have a similar taste in palettes, but damn... the MEMES!!! Seriously, we get it, you're 20, but jeez, substituting a seeming lack of personality outside of being *smart* and *special* with old vines and tiktoks is just embarrassing...

Rabidosky69
Informer
Informer

Post by Rabidosky69 »

I think it's great that she is passionate about being a doctor, but when I first started watching her channel I thought she was actually in med school from how much she mentioned it. Then I realized she is 19 and just finishing up her first year in college. She's got a long way to go before med school, I am working in a science field and we were all (mostly) pre-med our first year of college lol. Does anyone know what her Ted talk was actually about? I've thought about watching it but haven't ever bothered

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

WillowWisp
Learner
Learner

Post by WillowWisp »

Rabidosky69 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:10 pm
I think it's great that she is passionate about being a doctor, but when I first started watching her channel I thought she was actually in med school from how much she mentioned it. Then I realized she is 19 and just finishing up her first year in college. She's got a long way to go before med school, I am working in a science field and we were all (mostly) pre-med our first year of college lol. Does anyone know what her Ted talk was actually about? I've thought about watching it but haven't ever bothered

I believe it's about her eating disorder. She's written a book about it as well and I've seen a lot of reviews from people who also suffered from EDs saying it's triggering and unhelpful, advising people not to read it if they've had similar experiences. I don't know if the TedX talk is the same but just in case it is it's probably not a good idea for anyone sensitive to that topic to go looking for it.

Rabidosky69
Informer
Informer

Post by Rabidosky69 »

WillowWisp wrote:
Rabidosky69 wrote:

I believe it's about her eating disorder. She's written a book about it as well and I've seen a lot of reviews from people who also suffered from EDs saying it's triggering and unhelpful, advising people not to read it if they've had similar experiences. I don't know if the TedX talk is the same but just in case it is it's probably not a good idea for anyone sensitive to that topic to go looking for it.
Hmm interesting. I had no idea she dealt with that, makes sense for a Ted talk... I couldn't figure out anything she would have to say that's worthy of a Ted talk? I don't have any sensitivities to that kind of content but not interested in it either so thanks for the info Image

backdoorteenmom
Learner
Learner

Post by backdoorteenmom »

It really just bothers me she brings up her "pre-med" constantly...like we get it....talk to me when you are in actual medical school, Julia lol

wafflebunnycone
Lurker
Lurker

backdoorteenmom wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:34 pm
It really just bothers me she brings up her "pre-med" constantly...like we get it....talk to me when you are in actual medical school, Julia lol
Yeah, I'd like to emphasize there is nothing wrong about being passionate about education or wanting to pursue a high career goal...but to us, she is a beauty youtuber. Once in a while, it would be okay, like as if it was a fun fact for someone who was watching her for a while. She should save the self-aggrandizement for the peers she's competing with in school.

I see this problem with other small/mid-tier youtubers, who for some reason, want to validate their intelligence as some kind of coping mechanism or to show they are not as "hollow" as the bigger youtubers who have established themselves under products and branding... ironically, I feel like just turns into off-handed belittling and brattish behavior because they way they talk about in in such a preachy manner makes it seem that they are pretending their audience is not educated/not in college/haven't completed college. I'm all about encouraging education, but I see people like Julia, who promotes it more as a front to show-off for something no one asked for.

I'd be weary of anyone who is friends with her at UCLA, tbh. She seems like the kind of person that would throw someone else under the bus for a grade. I've studied in a similar field and people like her were the worst to deal with for other students-- as well as professors (I always loved chatting with my professors in my free time on campus and they disliked students with such big heads and egos).

wafflebunnycone
Lurker
Lurker

WillowWisp wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:41 am
Rabidosky69 wrote:

I personally haven't read it myself, but judging by the mediocre reviews and contentious/controversial feedback I've heard about it makes me not want to even bother.
Honestly, the fact that she never responded to any of the criticism made about her "book"/ self-published-diary gives me the feeling it's more of something she's using to sprinkle on her resumes, or to sound more intelligent/accomplished by calling herself an author (giving me Samantha March vibes).

Apparently, it's like she gave a reason to judge a book by it's cover.

sofetchxox
Informer
Informer

Post by sofetchxox »

I just watched her video about all the reasons she loves herself, and while I feel bad about it, I think it might make me unsubscribe. She is SO young and very immature. I noticed it from the start, but it didn’t bother me too much. Now her pious attitude and self aggrandizing have become laughable considering her age. Julia, we ALL think we’ve come so far and are so mature and are the sh*t when we’ve just turned 19... but let me break it to you gently, you’ll look back on yourself in 5-10 years and CRINGE

yellllow
Learner
Learner

Post by yellllow »

Oh she has a thread now, hi!! I've been following her for about a year, and I generally like her, I do think she seems to be smart and ambitious and motivated which is great for her, she definitely has things to be proud of about herself, but then it gets to that cringy humble bragging part.. I mean maybe it's just me but I am always more impressed by people who despite their achievements can stay actually humble and grounded. Maybe she'll grow out of it as she becomes more mature who knows.

What actually bothers me is that she refuses to admit she's well-off. She used to make a lot of jokes about being broke or poor and apparently people called her out (I believe I did too lol) and then in a video about "things she's sorry about" she explained how there's a difference between poor and broke she didn't understand and apologized, which was great. However the real issue is that she is obviously neither. (or even if she was, she could recover easily.. She has so many luxury items??)

Maybe it's just that I am not that well-off and I get kinda triggered when someone with like 20 luxury bags(no matter if they're used or repaired or what) and cartier bracelets and hundreds of dollars worth of makeup and whatnot says they're broke/poor. It's not fair. It's not a cool trendy thing to be a poor college student. Shut up and admit you have money. There's nothing wrong with that.

sp1cypickle
Stalker
Stalker

Post by sp1cypickle »

First post hi!! Okay so i used to like her but I think I'm going to have to unfollow her on IG. It started with her little workout videos (her house is huge and she somehow has a full gym setup with barbells, and always wearing a full gymshark set). It might be because I'm more in the fitness influencer side of IG, but it's a bit tone deaf considering gyms are closed and most people don't have whole gyms to use - hence the upheaval of at home workouts. Then it was her posting snarky screenshots of people lowballing her on Poshmark. No one likes being lowballed, but people are on Poshmark for deals. It just rubs me the wrong way and feels... Icky? Shaming people isn't cute. The main issue I have is that she clearly is in a privileged bubble and doesn't realize (or chooses not to acknowledge) that she is clearly extremely well off. Her parents afford to send her to UCLA and she is constantly flaunting her luxury bags & jewelry, plus that giant wall of high end makeup behind her? Come on girl. Very out of touch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gummo_Sevigny
Informer
Informer

Post by Gummo_Sevigny »

I had to unfollow her on Insta and Twitter because of her bitching and narcism :roll: I had to laugh when she accused Forever 21 of "copying" her unoriginal merch design, the one with a hand holding a rose :rofl: Google will give you a million brands and websites like RedBubble that sells sweatshirts with that design.
THESE HOES AIN'T LOYAL

Gummo_Sevigny
Informer
Informer

Post by Gummo_Sevigny »

I had to unfollow her on Insta and Twitter because of her bitching and narcism :roll: I had to laugh when she accused Forever 21 of "copying" her unoriginal merch design, the one with a hand holding a rose :rofl: Google will give you a million brands and websites like RedBubble that sells sweatshirts with that design.
THESE HOES AIN'T LOYAL

velvetmuse
Talker
Talker

Post by velvetmuse »

Thanks for making a thread— I was going to make one myself. There is a thread on Reddit about her casual use of AAVE/potential digital blackface. Does anyone here have thoughts? It bothers me, along with other things mentioned here (tone deaf wealth, self-aggrandizing UNDERGRAD SOPHOMORE lol), and while I do generally really enjoy her channel and appreciate how career-oriented she is, I am growing increasingly turned off by her leaning on clips and sound bites of black women featured in memes as humor for her videos. She also adopts mild AAVE (“chile”, “it’s ____ for me”) when she wants to be ~sassy~ in declutter or anti hauls and it’s just ... ahhh, it’s noticeable. She and her sister have talked about the fact that she is white passing in the past, and it just feels like treading into dangerous water sometimes with her overrepresentation of black women as memes to make her videos funny. Overall I do not think she’s engaging in digital blackface intentionally, but her reliance on that content to provide ~sass and humor~ is frequent enough to be noticed, and I think should be discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabidosky69
Informer
Informer

Post by Rabidosky69 »

This neon green/yellow pantsuit posted on her Instagram is a choice. Am I just old now and don't get fashion, or does anyone else also find this absolutely hideous???? I'm all for people wearing whatever they want, but how do people actually follow her as a "fashion Instagram-er"?Image

wafflebunnycone
Lurker
Lurker

Is it just me or is her channel really boring lately?
Last edited by wafflebunnycone on Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wafflebunnycone
Lurker
Lurker

Rabidosky69 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:58 pm
This neon green/yellow pantsuit posted on her Instagram is a choice. Am I just old now and don't get fashion, or does anyone else also find this absolutely hideous???? I'm all for people wearing whatever they want, but how do people actually follow her as a "fashion Instagram-er"?Image

ugh that tiny purse really kills it. Being skinny is not all that fashion is about-- her lack of figure is clearly being emphasized here. Sometimes I see her stories and her outfit pics (esp in a home setting) makes her look SO AWKWARD. She's trying very hard to keep up with the "I'm like you, except I'm perfect and so put together at everything" schtick she wants people to believe.

It's very obvious she's taking advantage of makeup PR so she could spend less on makeup to get more luxe pieces and fashion, I guess in an attempt to "branch out" and go back to her blogging days. Her sense of fashion is every boring instagrammer-- all names and a poor attempt at couture.

To be honest, her fashion expedition and constant decluttering has made her channel SO BORING. Most of her new makeup is just stuff she's getting for free, and gives her nothing really interesting to talk about. I clicked on one of her latest videos in a while and she sounds less enthusiastic than she used to be? Maybe it's school wearing her down or she's too hyperfocused on overspending on other things besides makeup.
Last edited by wafflebunnycone on Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velvetmuse
Talker
Talker

Post by velvetmuse »

wafflebunnycone wrote:ugh that tiny purse really kills it. Sometimes I see her stories and her outfit pics (esp in a home setting) makes her look SO AWKWARD. She's trying very hard to keep up with the "I'm like you, except I'm perfect and so put together at everything" schtick she wants people to believe.

It's very obvious she's taking advantage of makeup PR so she could spend less on makeup to get more luxe pieces and fashion, I guess in an attempt to "branch out" and go back to her blogging days[i. Her sense of fashion is every boring instagrammer-- all names and a poor attempt at couture.

To be honest, her fashion expedition and constant decluttering has made her channel SO BORING. Most of her new makeup is just stuff she's getting for free, and gives her nothing really interesting to talk about. I clicked on one of her latest videos in a while and she sounds less enthusiastic than she used to be? Maybe it's school wearing her down or she's too hyperfocused on overspending on other things besides makeup.
I think she had a recent death in her family also, someone she was close with.

I can’t take her seriously to be honest. Every time I remember she’s 19 with a boob job and a closet full of designer things I shake my head - she does not check her privilege nearly enough

wafflebunnycone
Lurker
Lurker

velvetmuse wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 pm
wafflebunnycone wrote:ugh that tiny purse really kills it. Sometimes I see her stories and her outfit pics (esp in a home setting) makes her look SO AWKWARD. She's trying very hard to keep up with the "I'm like you, except I'm perfect and so put together at everything" schtick she wants people to believe.

It's very obvious she's taking advantage of makeup PR so she could spend less on makeup to get more luxe pieces and fashion, I guess in an attempt to "branch out" and go back to her blogging days[i. Her sense of fashion is every boring instagrammer-- all names and a poor attempt at couture.

I think she had a recent death in her family also, someone she was close with.

I can’t take her seriously to be honest. Every time I remember she’s 19 with a boob job and a closet full of designer things I shake my head - she does not check her privilege nearly enough

That could be it-- she just looks worn out, and I feel bad for her.

Other than that, I do think the "less makeup consumerism" thing sounds like a stretch to seem more relatable and more like an everyday gal, but the fact that she is redirecting that money into having more designer pieces is an example of how blind she is to her privileged behavior... because not everyone can even have the liberty to change their spending like that for their interests. Don't get me wrong, girl can spend however she desires (and I use that mentality too), but she has a beauty-focused youtube she is taking seriously as a job to an audience she is going to lose connection with as her good intentions are unraveling.

velvetmuse
Talker
Talker

Post by velvetmuse »

Julia and her Skillshare “class” Image

Return to “F-J”