Learner
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hannah Louise Poston - Part 2

Post by Gurudodo »

ChicagoFlavoredPetty wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:23 pm
ann260 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:59 pm
Hannah is 100% pushing for an Ofra collaboration in her latest video.
Ofra is a slightly more classy Colourpop. They'll do a collaboration with just about anyone. I don't think they'd do one with Hannah, considering how gaudy she is.
They did the collaboration with Samantha March who is just as tacky and gaudy, so that is questionable. Lol

Rabidosky69
Informer
Informer

Post by Rabidosky69 »

Her bangs look really tragic in her more recent thumbnails... I would just let them grow out in quarantine vs trying to cut them herself ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Lol "luxury skincare just isn't worth it any more"

Unless they send it to me for free. - Then I'll shill it to you all til next Sunday.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

Pet-nat
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pet-nat »

I thought her "What's cheering me up right now" video was one of the best she's put out in a while. I like hearing her talk about books/authors, and lifestyle stuff - I think she can be pretty creative and thoughtful when she tables the shopping addiction for 30 minutes. Would heartily endorse a pivot away from beauty guru into just (spending-free) lifestyle guru.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

I heavily endorse her getting the hell off YouTube and doing what she purports to love doing.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

fluffball
Learner
Learner

Post by fluffball »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:54 am
I heavily endorse her getting the hell off YouTube and doing what she purports to love doing.
Truer words have never been said :cheer:

TheMakeupMarauder
Lurker
Lurker

Post by TheMakeupMarauder »

I do find it interesting that HLP always says how these luxuries (like skin care for higher prices) aren't worth it or it isn't worth investing in short-term staples, but then goes on eternal rants about needing those "Indulgences" like 9$ toothpaste, more bougie bath stuff that she said she already had some of, as well as taking any luxury item possible she can get her hands on- or when it comes to her "budget", making allowances for "upgrade items" like those silk pajamas that were more rayon than silk but over 100$. Of course, people can spend their money as they please, but it's kind of a joke to preach that luxury anything isn't worth it when you shill luxury everything and consistently make allowances for them in your "budget" while responding negatively to anyone saying anything to you/making comments on how you're not REALLY a budget channel anymore.
I wouldn't mind HLP becoming a review channel, dead on, if she'd just admit that. Her reviews aren't the worst reviews I've seen- in the one about the new Roen quad she, of course, went on in her Hannah-like verbosity- but she was more thorough than a lot of reviewers who have more subscribers than her are. I would prefer her being a lifestyle channel, if only because her lifestyle choices are more interesting to me than hearing her rave about a 50$ Gucci sheer red lipstick while bashing drugstore alternatives, constantly making allowances in her budget--and I get progress is linear, but it seems like she isn't trying to continue on that progress she said she made in both of her past years (even though the budget year was questionable with the streams and streams of subscriber gifts and PR.). I feel like at some point, it would just be better if she would pick what sort of channel she was going to be, instead of trying to hang on to the "conscious consumer crowd" when that's not the lifestyle she's choosing to lead at this point or it even seems like she'd want to lead. Gucci isn't bohemian. Gucci is a fashion house corporation that just wants to make money off of people like her, when real "punks"/alternative people question those concepts. (I know I sound like such a hipster, but honestly? If she wants to hang on to a subculture, I don't know why she'd want the corporate version of that instead of the rawness of it all.)
She has to be more self-aware than she lets on. I try to let myself be kind with her, as I would myself when I slip up on a regressive behavior- but the difference is seemingly that I hold myself accountable, and I don't see her doing that- which makes it harder to not be critical.
Last edited by TheMakeupMarauder on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:42 pm
I do find it interesting that HLP always says how these luxuries (like skin care for higher prices) aren't worth it or it isn't worth investing in short-term staples, but then goes on eternal rants about needing those "Indulgences" like 9$ toothpaste, more bougie bath stuff that she said she already had some of, as well as taking any luxury item possible she can get her hands on- or when it comes to her "budget", making allowances for "upgrade items" like those silk pajamas that were more rayon than silk but over 100$. Of course, people can spend their money as they please, but it's kind of a joke to preach that luxury anything isn't worth it when you shill luxury everything and consistently make allowances for them in your "budget" while responding negatively to anyone saying anything to you/making comments on how you're not REALLY a budget channel anymore.
I wouldn't mind HLP becoming a review channel, dead on, if she'd just admit that. Her reviews aren't the worst reviews I've seen- in the one about the new Roen quad she, of course, went on in her Hannah-like verbosity- but she was more thorough than a lot of reviewers who have more subscribers than her are. I would prefer her being a lifestyle channel, if only because her lifestyle choices are more interesting to me than hearing her rave about a 50$ Gucci sheer red lipstick while bashing drugstore alternatives, constantly making allowances in her budget--and I get progress is linear, but it seems like she isn't trying to continue on that progress she said she made in both of her past years (even though the budget year was questionable with the streams and streams of subscriber gifts and PR.). I feel like at some point, it would just be better if she would pick what sort of channel she was going to be, instead of trying to hang on to the "conscious consumer crowd" when that's not the lifestyle she's choosing to lead at this point or it even seems like she'd want to lead. Gucci isn't bohemian. Gucci is a fashion house corporation that just wants to make money off of people like her, when real "punks"/alternative people question those concepts. (I know I sound like such a hipster, but honestly? If she wants to hang on to a subculture, I don't know why she'd want the corporate version of that instead of the rawness of it all.)
She has to be more self-aware than she lets on. I try to let myself be kind with her, as I would myself when I slip up on a regressive behavior- but the difference is seemingly that I hold myself accountable, and I don't see her doing that- which makes it harder to not be critical.
I saw part of the 'What's Cheering Me Up' video (I think), where she mentioned books and making a quilt?? I thought that this would mark a change in her content. She said they've brought a machine over and Joe's been making masks. However, they didn't show any of those, did they. She also quite categorically stated that she 'wasn't feeling' doing more of that content on her channel. I realised that this is how she is. If she can't be bothered, it's not going to happen. It was a kind of demarcation point between people who discipline themselves to do things and apply themselves, and people who drift on their whims. OK, if YouTube was just her hobby, but she says it's one of her main sources of income.

She'll never be successful as a writer, because she doesn't have the iron self-discipline required. She's invested heavily in YouTube as a possible means of getting out of having to sew for a living. It's only tenuously about talent at the end of the day; there has to be the application. The old hare and the tortoise. I noticed her subs had dropped and her views are not increasing, even with the captive audience of lockdown. I thought it was interesting that she chose the Gucci products, tbh, because no one else was reviewing them (I don't think), and there was a strong art theme in that Gucci campaign (the photographer who shot it and the 'retro-'80s concept), but she missed it completely. It was just another expensive lipstick in fancy packaging. She has all this education behind her, been in so many environments that have nurtured her literary and artistic knowledge, but it never comes through. Meanwhile, you get some girl who works in a factory in Georgia or somewhere and does YouTube on the side and gets the references, can put a look together, doesn't need everything to be bougie the whole time to be 'inspired'.

I haven't bothered watching anything else she's done recently. It's just not interesting, not even to be triggered by her nonsense. I know the Roen quads were a request, but she's still just doing these pointless reviews. Time and time again, her subs have mentioned other content. She just bullishly continues along her chosen path. While her subs and views drop. I watch a few other make-up artists from time to time and they have adapted their content. They are always more interestng and skilled than HLP anyway, but they've still tried to improve their content for the situation. Moreover, they interact with their subs on YouTube and Instagram and respond to suggestions. It's just plain silly to see a thumbnail of HLP reviewing a highlighter, when people are hardly going out, and if they do, their faces are covered, the shops are closed, businesses are on hold. Moreover, there are some pretty famous people posting content online at the moment. That's tough competition. Maybe her subscriber base is now only a small posse of comfortably off women who live alone with their cat(s) and say things like, 'Don't ever change, Hannah, we love you just as you are'.

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

Pet-nat wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 am
I thought her "What's cheering me up right now" video was one of the best she's put out in a while. I like hearing her talk about books/authors, and lifestyle stuff - I think she can be pretty creative and thoughtful when she tables the shopping addiction for 30 minutes. Would heartily endorse a pivot away from beauty guru into just (spending-free) lifestyle guru.
But in it, I think she said she wasn't interested in doing videos about other content. She said she has to want to do things for it to work out. She's a lost cause I'm afraid.

fuzzypickles
Talker
Talker

Post by fuzzypickles »

her views are steadily going down, even her check in video is only at 10k. You can't be a review channel and make hour long review videos for one thing.

TheMakeupMarauder
Lurker
Lurker

Post by TheMakeupMarauder »

EmptyVessel wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:57 am
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
I saw part of the 'What's Cheering Me Up' video (I think), where she mentioned books and making a quilt?? I thought that this would mark a change in her content. She said they've brought a machine over and Joe's been making masks. However, they didn't show any of those, did they. She also quite categorically stated that she 'wasn't feeling' doing more of that content on her channel. I realised that this is how she is. If she can't be bothered, it's not going to happen. It was a kind of demarcation point between people who discipline themselves to do things and apply themselves, and people who drift on their whims. OK, if YouTube was just her hobby, but she says it's one of her main sources of income.

She'll never be successful as a writer, because she doesn't have the iron self-discipline required. She's invested heavily in YouTube as a possible means of getting out of having to sew for a living. It's only tenuously about talent at the end of the day; there has to be the application. The old hare and the tortoise. I noticed her subs had dropped and her views are not increasing, even with the captive audience of lockdown. I thought it was interesting that she chose the Gucci products, tbh, because no one else was reviewing them (I don't think), and there was a strong art theme in that Gucci campaign (the photographer who shot it and the 'retro-'80s concept), but she missed it completely. It was just another expensive lipstick in fancy packaging. She has all this education behind her, been in so many environments that have nurtured her literary and artistic knowledge, but it never comes through. Meanwhile, you get some girl who works in a factory in Georgia or somewhere and does YouTube on the side and gets the references, can put a look together, doesn't need everything to be bougie the whole time to be 'inspired'.

I haven't bothered watching anything else she's done recently. It's just not interesting, not even to be triggered by her nonsense. I know the Roen quads were a request, but she's still just doing these pointless reviews. Time and time again, her subs have mentioned other content. She just bullishly continues along her chosen path. While her subs and views drop. I watch a few other make-up artists from time to time and they have adapted their content. They are always more interestng and skilled than HLP anyway, but they've still tried to improve their content for the situation. Moreover, they interact with their subs on YouTube and Instagram and respond to suggestions. It's just plain silly to see a thumbnail of HLP reviewing a highlighter, when people are hardly going out, and if they do, their faces are covered, the shops are closed, businesses are on hold. Moreover, there are some pretty famous people posting content online at the moment. That's tough competition. Maybe her subscriber base is now only a small posse of comfortably off women who live alone with their cat(s) and say things like, 'Don't ever change, Hannah, we love you just as you are'.
I just watched that video, and you're right. I mean, I know you're right. HLP doesn't want to do anything other than do reviews and swatch eyeshadows/get PR and keep repeating content. This is what she wants, and I wish she'd be honest about it- so that no one is deluded and pulled into her Hannah web. Heather Moorhouse is one of my favorite beauty YouTubers, and she does far more interesting makeup than Hannah, does amazing reviews (but sparingly during these times) and has incredible tutorials. I'm not saying Hannah would ever have to be like Heather (who has her own podcast about mythology), but her content would then set her apart from her clique.
A lot of the women in her comments that I always see reposting her on Instagram seems to be incredibly well-off and acts like Hannah is a goddess and the only person who ever thought of "conscious consumerism" then they both rave about all the hauls they're currently doing- but they're "restricting" their spending.
The cognitive dissonance pulls me out of so much content, but I feel like HLP specifically enables this in her audience by not being honest that she's not this conscious consumer. She's going to keep on this until she can make it her career, and honestly, I wouldn't be so mad if I didn't feel fleeced by it all.
Can you give me the name of the girl from Georgia? I'm from Mississippi originally, so seeing any Southern people who aren't horrific always makes my soul soar. <3
You definitely don't only have to have bougie products to make something more interesting than I see most people who get sent drawers and drawers of PR doing ever. I'm not one of those people who are jealous of people who get PR, but.. I feel like if you claim to adore makeup, you'd try some different styles. I'd love to see Hannah do something inspired by her favorite poems, but.. she's clearly not going to do that.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

I'm starting to think she doesn't even have any favourite poems..... Except her own 😉

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:14 am
EmptyVessel wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:57 am
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:

I just watched that video, and you're right. I mean, I know you're right. HLP doesn't want to do anything other than do reviews and swatch eyeshadows/get PR and keep repeating content. This is what she wants, and I wish she'd be honest about it- so that no one is deluded and pulled into her Hannah web. Heather Moorhouse is one of my favorite beauty YouTubers, and she does far more interesting makeup than Hannah, does amazing reviews (but sparingly during these times) and has incredible tutorials. I'm not saying Hannah would ever have to be like Heather (who has her own podcast about mythology), but her content would then set her apart from her clique.
A lot of the women in her comments that I always see reposting her on Instagram seems to be incredibly well-off and acts like Hannah is a goddess and the only person who ever thought of "conscious consumerism" then they both rave about all the hauls they're currently doing- but they're "restricting" their spending.
The cognitive dissonance pulls me out of so much content, but I feel like HLP specifically enables this in her audience by not being honest that she's not this conscious consumer. She's going to keep on this until she can make it her career, and honestly, I wouldn't be so mad if I didn't feel fleeced by it all.
Can you give me the name of the girl from Georgia? I'm from Mississippi originally, so seeing any Southern people who aren't horrific always makes my soul soar. <3
You definitely don't only have to have bougie products to make something more interesting than I see most people who get sent drawers and drawers of PR doing ever. I'm not one of those people who are jealous of people who get PR, but.. I feel like if you claim to adore makeup, you'd try some different styles. I'd love to see Hannah do something inspired by her favorite poems, but.. she's clearly not going to do that.
I think maybe some of the people who have felt enraged by her cared at one point, and thought she cared too??? I mean, that her channel and subs and being a more conscious consumer really mattered to her. That's the sense of being fleeced I guess. It was the money it cost that bothered her. Everything else was incidental. She found out what it was like not to buy everything that took her fancy and talked about her feelings on YouTube. If she had the money, everything would have a whopping price tag on on it... oh wait... it pretty much already does. I think you have a point about HLP staying with the content that keeps this subscriber base, who represent her clique I guess. She has mentioned other content and tried to introduce it at intervals, but maybe noticed a dip in views and scuttled back to the usual serving. That's so disingenuous. For a while, I felt like I was watching her crash in slow motion, because I thought she genuinely wanted to make it as a writer, and proceeding down this path did not bode well, what with GG and Reddit crackling with goss about her. She was losing her credibility and seemingly working at it with a vengeance. Now, I think so few people are bothered about her, it probably doesn't make any difference, and more importantly, writing doesn't seem to be on her radar. She would honestly prefer to earn some dollar pushing products.

The name Heather Moorhouse rings a bell, I'll look her up! I like it that she has a podcast about another topic. In HLP's case, I don't find any influence from tango or her dressmaking coming through in her make-up looks, let alone anything literary. One YouTuber whom I find very creative is Atleeeey - she references quite a lot of things like music and movies. She likes vintage as well. Lisa Eldridge, of course, she's always doing something new and drawing upon diverse influences. The girl from Georgia that I was thinking of is CeeCee Walton - really small channel, but one wonders why, when there are people spouting nonsense and bringing nothing interesting to the table, but still have thousands and thousands of subscribers. There's someone called Mel Thompson with a stunning look as well - total make-up geek and time-served Mac MUA. She's from Tennessee. Her channel has grown, maybe partly due to Wayne Goss giving shouts out to her, but she is prolific, creative and original anyway. She really knows about a lot of products and not just the expensive ones. I guess YouTube is just overcrowded with people doing good make-up and reviewing things that are worth buying, but some people might promote themselves better, or have a gimmick. A lot of it is about being working class too. So many people are trying to claw their way up and feel threatened by attainable, humble things. We are used to seeing a fake world on a screen, all bathed in glamour and selling a lifestyle that doesn't really exist. HLP had that right, when she was questioning what she was buying into. In her case, though, I think she just realised that's what she liked, that's what fed her soul. She didn't care if it wasn't real, it was real to her. In truth though, you could probably put CeeCee on a film set or campaign shoot and she would make a pretty decent fist of the make-up, even without formal training. I wouldn't want HLP anywhere near me with make-up. She wouldn't even care if she messed it up. There are of course other people on YouTube who are trained professionals. There's no reason for anyone to bother watching HLP's uploads now. As you say, her subs are just women who can afford her kind of hauls. Birds of a feather...

ChicagoFlavoredPetty
Talker
Talker

Post by ChicagoFlavoredPetty »

Will a new thread be made? A part 3 of Hannah Moochsie Poston?

Nope nope
Informer
Informer

Post by Nope nope »

I'm really confused about her putting out these long review videos on one single product, not even a popular product. Clearly nobody's interested. That's not the kind of content she'd be producing if she wanted to get more views and grow her channel. I mean cool if she's doing whatever the f*ck is trending in her soul but you'd think she'd want to develop her channel now that the tango business is on hold?

I've said this before but 'year of less stuff' really is the exact opposite of her life that revolves entirely around talking ad nauseam about every single product that comes her way.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:29 pm
We usually wait for a mod but whatever, I'll do it - or whoever!

NOMINATIONS FOR THREAD NAME PLEASE

I have only one request - Moochise.

What else was good? - Landfill.

brm1618
Lurker
Lurker

Post by brm1618 »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:50 am

Leech, glitter trash, maybe something about her constant cycle of buying and throwing away?

Post by Guest »

brm1618 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:40 am
WORDSALAD wrote:

Leech, glitter trash, maybe something about her constant cycle of buying and throwing away?
Hanna Moochise Poston - the glittering cycles and recycles of a trashy shopaholic

Post by Guest »

brm1618 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:40 am
WORDSALAD wrote:

Hannah Moochise Poston - the glittering cycles and recycles of a trashy shopaholic

Hannah Moochise Poston - covered in glitter, full of shit

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

^^^ Oof. Nice.

Ima go back and look at what everyone else suggested and cobble something together

Return to “F-J”