John Maclean

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: John Maclean

Post by PinkyPunch »

As I was reading this topic, I went back to his earliest videos and he does sound very-very different now. Both his accent and his voice and I just don't understand why. I looked up his comment section and people were complimenting his voice, so it really makes no sense.
I don't think he is racist or ripped off Nyma Tang's darkest shade series (lots of small youtubers who are on the extreme end of the color spectrum have series like that) and I kinda can/could relate to his "struggles" of finding light enough shade.
I used to have much-much lighter skin than I have now and struggled to find a good match for myself. And I've never been as pale as he is. I mean no offense but he resembles to a sheet of paper. :D

PS.: sorry for any grammatical errors, it's not my first language (your constructive critiques are much appreciated, since I can learn from them).
-most bespoke packaging experience like no other- Kitchen Cosmetics

makeupmenace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by makeupmenace »

PinkyPunch wrote:As I was reading this topic, I went back to his earliest videos and he does sound very-very different now. Both his accent and his voice and I just don't understand why. I looked up his comment section and people were complimenting his voice, so it really makes no sense.
I don't think he is racist or ripped off Nyma Tang's darkest shade series (lots of small youtubers who are on the extreme end of the color spectrum have series like that) and I kinda can/could relate to his "struggles" of finding light enough shade.
I used to have much-much lighter skin than I have now and struggled to find a good match for myself. And I've never been as pale as he is. I mean no offense but he resembles to a sheet of paper. :D

PS.: sorry for any grammatical errors, it's not my first language (your constructive critiques are much appreciated, since I can learn from them).
Having trouble finding a foundation shade because you're pale is a singular problem that doesn't stem from, or lead to, a variety of other issues. You can start a channel for fair skin without constantly conflating this problem with those of deeper skintones, make sense? This is why I am very critical of him.
Blending is my cardio.

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

Ah, I get it. It's true, he is really emphasizing the fact that he has very fair skin (with no reason, we can see it clearly), and several times in a video.
One thing that bothered me always is the way that he tries to say 'seamlessness' so damn smoothly.
But still, compare to another beauty gurus, he is something new (and weird lmao) and sort of unique. And I kinda like the way he speeks (I mean his vocabulary), because I'm tired to hear the 'YAAAASS', 'BIIIIITCH', 'SLAAAY' and crap like these all the damn time.

Natori_Umi
Learner
Learner

Post by Natori_Umi »

PinkyPunch wrote:And I kinda like the way he speeks (I mean his vocabulary), because I'm tired to hear the 'YAAAASS', 'BIIIIITCH', 'SLAAAY' and crap like these all the damn time.
But there has to be some middle ground? I'm really annoyed by all those youtubers who just yell random swear words, but can't you just speak normally and calm without sounding as if you've swallowed a dictionary?

I sometimes watch him, but it's really not to learn anything about make up, more because his whole way of speaking is just so bizarre to me. I had to laugh so much at the Willam Beatdown about his channel.

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Green Eyed Gemini »

Natori_Umi wrote:
PinkyPunch wrote:And I kinda like the way he speeks (I mean his vocabulary), because I'm tired to hear the 'YAAAASS', 'BIIIIITCH', 'SLAAAY' and crap like these all the damn time.
But there has to be some middle ground? I'm really annoyed by all those youtubers who just yell random swear words, but can't you just speak normally and calm without sounding as if you've swallowed a dictionary?

I sometimes watch him, but it's really not to learn anything about make up, more because his whole way of speaking is just so bizarre to me. I had to laugh so much at the Willam Beatdown about his channel.
Hahhahaha omg off to find that Beatdown episode. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q61xxeQFWo
Beatdown with Willam episode 24, John is in the first half of the vid. It was pretty damn funny. :D

Fire in Her Eyes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Fire in Her Eyes »

Personally, I don’t like John’s fan base. Ugh. They seem like those wannabe Stepford-wives types that spend an hour painting their nails Revlon red and measuring the circumference of their waistline. Plus some of them seem to think he’s Irish??? I think he’s previously stated he’s from the Upper Hebrides in his skin manifesto video. I guess that’s what happens when you distort your voice to sound like, as another member stated, Margaret Thatcher. Or, some of the mental gymnastics fans go through to cover for their idol’s ego is Olympic level in proportion.

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

PinkyPunch wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q61xxeQFWo
Beatdown with Willam episode 24, John is in the first half of the vid. It was pretty damn funny. :D
Omg that was so great! Thank you for sharing!! Willam had me cracking up with his first word! ImageImage And man, John’s accent just sounds so forced and exaggerated. It must be exhausting to do videos.

-n3rvacid-
Talker
Talker

Post by -n3rvacid- »

He always appears constipated to me, or like he is trying to hold back from screaming.

Beckettinga
Learner
Learner

Post by Beckettinga »

In his new video about hair removal he pronounces 'feminine' as fem-in-EYE-n. Really? Why are you going out of your way to pronounce words are awkwardly as possible? We get it, you're a special snowflake... :roll:

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

Beckettinga wrote:In his new video about hair removal he pronounces 'feminine' as fem-in-EYE-n. Really? Why are you going out of your way to pronounce words are awkwardly as possible? We get it, you're a special snowflake... :roll:
Dont forget about the fan-fave "filum". :D Not sure why he can't just say film or video.

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Beckettinga wrote:In his new video about hair removal he pronounces 'feminine' as fem-in-EYE-n. Really? Why are you going out of your way to pronounce words are awkwardly as possible? We get it, you're a special snowflake... :roll:
Not only awkward, but isn’t that technically incorrect? As well As the “filum.” Definitely correct me if I’m wrong—I’m from America and I know we pronounce some things differently than our friends from across the pond. So maybe those are correct pronunciations where he lives. But if they’re not, and he’s just trying to be different, then I just find it funny bc he tries to sound so high-class and posh but he says things incorrectly.

f_fitness
Talker
Talker

Post by f_fitness »

Green Eyed Gemini wrote:
Not only awkward, but isn’t that technically incorrect? As well As the “filum.” Definitely correct me if I’m wrong—I’m from America and I know we pronounce some things differently than our friends from across the pond. So maybe those are correct pronunciations where he lives. But if they’re not, and he’s just trying to be different, then I just find it funny bc he tries to sound so high-class and posh but he says things incorrectly.

He's Scottish, and the way that he pronounces things isn't how Scottish people do, so we can come to the conclusion that he's just a bit of a dick who's trying to appear more posh than he is.

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

f_fitness wrote:
Green Eyed Gemini wrote:

He's Scottish, and the way that he pronounces things isn't how Scottish people do, so we can come to the conclusion that he's just a bit of a dick who's trying to appear more posh than he is.
ImageImageImage Ahhh okay I would definitely agree with that (even if he was saying things correctly). It’s just so odd and admittedly fascinating. I’d love to know how he goes about his everyday life, whether he acts the same way or if this is all for show (which I’m sure he does play up for his “filums” to be different). Another thing I found odd was when, in his new video, he said something like, “The filums I make for this platform, w-w-w-dot-YouTube-dot-com.” Like, who does that? He sounds robotic and kind of like that Poppy character lmao

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

Green Eyed Gemini wrote:

He sounds like he is trying to mimic Margaret Thatcher rather than keep hIs original Stornoway accent, which comes off as really unnecessary and dated. You wondered about how Scots pronounce 'feminine', here is a video on period poverty taken from the Scottish Parliament.

[video][/video]

Beckettinga
Learner
Learner

Post by Beckettinga »

Green Eyed Gemini wrote:
f_fitness wrote:
Green Eyed Gemini wrote:

Ahhh okay I would definitely agree with that (even if he was saying things correctly). It’s just so odd and admittedly fascinating. I’d love to know how he goes about his everyday life, whether he acts the same way or if this is all for show (which I’m sure he does play up for his “filums” to be different). Another thing I found odd was when, in his new video, he said something like, “The filums I make for this platform, w-w-w-dot-YouTube-dot-com.” Like, who does that? He sounds robotic and kind of like that Poppy character lmao

It's the most inconsistent accent I've ever heard. Like ok whatever put on a fake old english accent if you want to but at least stick with it, when he does pronounce words strangely, it always reminds me of these vines.

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Beckettinga wrote:
Green Eyed Gemini wrote:
f_fitness wrote:
Green Eyed Gemini wrote:

Ahhh okay I would definitely agree with that (even if he was saying things correctly). It’s just so odd and admittedly fascinating. I’d love to know how he goes about his everyday life, whether he acts the same way or if this is all for show (which I’m sure he does play up for his “filums” to be different). Another thing I found odd was when, in his new video, he said something like, “The filums I make for this platform, w-w-w-dot-YouTube-dot-com.” Like, who does that? He sounds robotic and kind of like that Poppy character lmao

It's the most inconsistent accent I've ever heard. Like ok whatever put on a fake old english accent if you want to but at least stick with it, when he does pronounce words strangely, it always reminds me of these vines.
Lmao those vines were great!! ImageImageImage

And thank you all for your input on the accent and for doing it so kindly! That’s an interesting point about Margaret Thatcher. I definitely think you’re on to something there!!

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

On the one hand I find him fascinating. On the other he is terrifying and I get a horrible feeling of dread if I watch more than one of his videos or look into his eyes for too long :rofl: uncanny valley to da max

Also I find it so weird that he says he's never been in a relationship? Idk.

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

I guess he is asexual. I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the case.

PinkyPunch
Informer
Informer

Post by PinkyPunch »

I thought (and commented) first that he might be asexual, than I realised that he could be sexually active, without being in a relationship. No idea what's up with him.

Return to “F-J”