Theresa Is Dead

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Theresa Is Dead

Post by lulugirl765 »

Maybe it’s some kind of depression or just worse because of the pandemic. Honestly she has what I’d like to see in a woman on YouTube. She’s a woman who grew up hard knocks with no free pass in life and no advantages, paid her way through college, hell, still paying for college, but making a decent living at a job she clearly enjoys and is good at, in the hella-expensive and dog-eat-dog sh!thole of Manhattan and completely thriving. I want to see this woman enjoy her looks, her success, spend her money however she will and have a great time with no apologies. As far as I’m concerned she can ignore her entire comments section and go right on uploading. I’m not a mega-fan, I’m well older but I hope she can lose the depressive insecurity and look in the mirror and appreciate the talent she has.

frigobar
Learner
Learner

Post by frigobar »

What do y’all think of her collab with Lethal Cosmetics? I kinda like it, I’d get it if it weren’t for the hassle of importing shit. I’m kinda iffy about the name tho lol “Lethal is Dead” had potential but it’s lacking something. Maybe “Lethal is Dead(ly)”? lol idk

On another note, does anyone also get a bit annoyed with the recurring “uncooked chicken” joke? Like, it was humorous at first but now it feels like she’s another pail princesswho needs everyone to know that she’s REALLY WHITE, YOU GUYS. Like soooooooo white, you don’t understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrowningInMelancholy »

frigobar wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:09 am
What do y’all think of her collab with Lethal Cosmetics? I kinda like it, I’d get it if it weren’t for the hassle of importing shit. I’m kinda iffy about the name tho lol “Lethal is Dead” had potential but it’s lacking something. Maybe “Lethal is Dead(ly)”? lol idk

On another note, does anyone also get a bit annoyed with the recurring “uncooked chicken” joke? Like, it was humorous at first but now it feels like she’s another Imagepail princessImagewho needs everyone to know that she’s REALLY WHITE, YOU GUYS. Like soooooooo white, you don’t understand

I think “Deadly Lethal” or “Lethally Dead” would have a smoother flow but I don’t dislike the name. The palette is cute but not something
I’m going to be purchasing, primarily because of how stupid expensive shipping is.

I’m glad you pointed out the 🌟 Pale Princess Syndrome 🌟 lol. Her skin is sooooooooooooo delicately fair and pale 🙄

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

I think the jokes are way old, there is just nowhere to go with any of it except repetition. She said the channel changed when she didn’t have subway stories anymore, and I don’t think she needs the super-long stories. But she did have more variety and I suppose more reasons to wear makeup and joke about it that she doesn’t have anymore. She has announced her job won’t be going back to working in an office. Once she moves, if she does, what will she need all the makeup for, Zoom calls forever? I guess we will see if she finds reasons to keep up doing the channel with no stories and no reason to wear makeup except for fun and going out shopping.

frigobar
Learner
Learner

Post by frigobar »

lulugirl765 wrote:I think the jokes are way old, there is just nowhere to go with any of it except repetition. She said the channel changed when she didn’t have subway stories anymore, and I don’t think she needs the super-long stories. But she did have more variety and I suppose more reasons to wear makeup and joke about it that she doesn’t have anymore. She has announced her job won’t be going back to working in an office. Once she moves, if she does, what will she need all the makeup for, Zoom calls forever? I guess we will see if she finds reasons to keep up doing the channel with no stories and no reason to wear makeup except for fun and going out shopping.
Tbh that sounds like my dream job lol provided I also become my ideal self because there’s no way I’d be able to keep myself mentally stable with all that time at home and my current bad habits ImageI’m pretty sure Theresa has said that she also struggles with self-discipline, so I hope she finds a happy medium that works for her. If she moves to the suburbs I can totally see her telling stories about her encounters with some stereotypical characters, like soccer moms lol

OpinionsOpinions
Learner
Learner

Post by OpinionsOpinions »

This woman’s on-air alcohol consumption has gotten out of hand. Makes me very uncomfortable!

facepainter
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by facepainter »

I started watching Theresa late 2018 and throughout 2019. I think she was genuinely funny during that era, but after she started getting more attention from other "gurus" like Michele Wang and Mel Thompson, I definitely noticed a decline in her content. This also coincided with her gaining a lot more subscribers. I think she realized that most people specifically liked her because they thought she was funny, which resulted in her putting pressure on herself to be funny. Nowadays the humor comes off as forced and like she's trying to fulfill an expectation. The reason I found her funny before was because you could tell that the funny things she was saying just came to her in the moment and she wasn't TRYING to be hilarious.

It also really gets on my nerves that she's back to buying products even though they have terrible shade ranges. She'll mention that something has a horrible shade range and that it's a "shame" in her bingo videos, but it's happened like three or four times recently that she said she's probably still going to buy some of these products despite the crappy shade ranges because they just call to her so much.

I'm not surprised, but it really goes to show how fake and flimsy most of these gurus are when it comes to actually caring about these issues. Last year she deleted all her Jeffree Star reviews from her channel and uploaded a compilation of the story times that she'd used as intros for those videos instead. In a podcast with her husband, she said that she'd done those videos about JS Cosmetics for the views even though she knew he was a horrible person, and she acknowledged that this was a shitty thing to do on her part.

I guess now that we're not in the middle of a national reckoning regarding racism like we were last summer, she feels comfortable easing back into these crappy decisions.
OpinionsOpinions wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:48 pm
This woman’s on-air alcohol consumption has gotten out of hand. Makes me very uncomfortable!
Yeah, she better be careful. She definitely didn't used to drink this much pre-pandemic, at least not that she showed on camera. A lot of people have become alcoholics as a result of not having to physically go into the office to work, and I get the sense that Theresa has increased her drinking a lot. She's even made a couple of self-conscious jokes about it, which is usually a sign that the person themselves is starting to get uncomfortable with their alcohol abuse.

Jellywager
Learner
Learner

Post by Jellywager »

Uncooked chicken isn't even light, it is a pink/grey color, the reference of her skin being that color doesn't really make sense.

padelica
Learner
Learner

Post by padelica »

I started watching her after some other youtuber mentioned her in 2019., I think, and I thought she was hilarious. Even now, when I want to buy some make up, I still check her channel to see if she has a review, because I trust her opinion.
But I unsubscribed because I can't stand that wokeness of hers... when all those super-woke influencers publicly gave up on Jeffree Star, even though they all became popular thanks to him. Yes, he is a bad person, but so are so many other brand owners whose rotten characters we're pretending we don't see.

This week she made a video about that Chantecaille sale raving about its overpriced shit, and today I saw her trashing Hourglass eyeshadows, even though Chantecaille's cost 48 pounds for a single (!), while Hourglass is 28. (I would never buy either, not drunk, not high, not half-dead. Never.)
I think the pandemic has taken its toll on her, as it has on all of us. I hope she really moves to some small town with fresh air and clean food where she will be able to go out, exercise, and live healthier, because she really looks horrible when she doesn't put that uber-expensive shit on her face.

And, god, I hate watching people who belch! It is humiliating. I don't deserve that. I hope she reads this.

WillowWisp
Learner
Learner

Post by WillowWisp »

Jellywager wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 pm
Uncooked chicken isn't even light, it is a pink/grey color, the reference of her skin being that color doesn't really make sense.
I think that every time she says it. Cooked chicken with no sear is lighter than raw.

Muriel Bananafish
Debater
Debater

Post by Muriel Bananafish »

"Uncooked chicken" as a reference to skin tone (and to brands' tendency to cater to fair-skinned consumers) comes from the great MakeupStruggles, who has since left YouTube. So Theresa has beaten to death a once-hilarious quip that belonged to a very astute, VERY funny Black creator.

I no longer laugh with Theresa. Her jokes are tired, and now I just roll my eyes at her gross, "this tickles my dick" and "I'd let it tongue my alien-slut asshole" stuff. And the drinking is SO off-putting. Watching someone who thinks she trademarked the "big, brash, boozy broad" persona as she sloppily belches and slurs, then turns beet red while dropping three figures on shit she'll use once ... it was maybe fun the first of the 4,806 times she's done it.

Jellywager
Learner
Learner

Post by Jellywager »

I agree, she is unwatchable now, and something is off with her husband. He cringes when she tries to act affectionate. I don't think her working from home is going to agree with her, plus her office/commute stories were more interesting that her make-up commentary.

No time for buffoons
Lurker
Lurker

Post by No time for buffoons »

Muriel Bananafish wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:05 pm
"Uncooked chicken" as a reference to skin tone (and to brands' tendency to cater to fair-skinned consumers) comes from the great MakeupStruggles, who has since left YouTube. So Theresa has beaten to death a once-hilarious quip that belonged to a very astute, VERY funny Black creator.

I no longer laugh with Theresa. Her jokes are tired, and now I just roll my eyes at her gross, "this tickles my dick" and "I'd let it tongue my alien-slut asshole" stuff. And the drinking is SO off-putting. Watching someone who thinks she trademarked the "big, brash, boozy broad" persona as she sloppily belches and slurs, then turns beet red while dropping three figures on shit she'll use once ... it was maybe fun the first of the 4,806 times she's done it.
Ugh, she got old really fast. At first I looked forward to every video but then as time went on and the plague hit, I found she was making me grouchy more than anything. I’m ten years older than her so her moaning about being old at 35 got really tiresome and how many times does she have to make jokes about her makeup dick getting hard? Watching her get drunk isn’t entertaining either. I unsubbed fast. I go through beauty gurus like used tissues these days. They almost always repel me in some way.

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

I still watch her scripted bite-size reviews. A couple have been brilliant, scripted comedy monologues. These are her best work recently. I used to work in theatre, and she is really good at (speech delivery) of scripted comedy material. Her improv stuff lately is definitely tired, and not as good. Hey, not everyone is good at both scripted and improv styles. I kind of respect her continuing to try and get better with improv, especially when she doesn’t have her material sources anymore (the subway and office). She has to find new material and that comes from life.

Honestly I see her more as a comedian using makeup as her topic rather than a makeup guru. She can be who she wants, I’m just doing a little art critic stuff here but for me that’s giving someone credit as an artist. It’s not any more watchable for me most days than Michele Wang’s house or Mel’s crying, but I have hopes it will get better. The drinking I see more along the lines of Chelsea Hendler, and yeah she’ll have to go dry for awhile probably.

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

i'd prefer to see her comedic chops.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

Frito Pie
Informer
Informer

Post by Frito Pie »

Totally agree about her making jokes about being "old" at 35. I'm 15 years older, so I guess I'm ready for hospice! Of course she's welcome to feel however she wants about her age, but maybe she thinks that people her age are the only ones watching.

She needs new material. The "makeup dick" and "glitter bukkake" jokes need a little freshening up. There doesn't seem to be any possibility of any new "stories" coming anytime soon, which is really too bad because they were what kept her videos entertaining. I was hoping she might at least have a few more interesting food delivery stories since you know she's got to be using Door Dash or whatever service. There's got to be something!

frigobar
Learner
Learner

Theresa Is Dead

Post by frigobar »

I find these Ipsy/glossybox/etc bag unboxings so boring… maybe it’s because I’m not familiar with most of the brands they include in these boxes but I think Theresa overhypes them? As if she was trying to stay on the companies’ good side

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

The unboxings are easy content for sure. She seems to get most of them free.

I can’t bring myself to watch lately, the makeup content is so subpar. Unboxings and eye palettes. Too Faced and stuff she probably won’t wear. She gets a bit of a pass because she has a full-time job, which most content creators with her sub count don’t.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrowningInMelancholy »

I don't mind the boxings, except that it seems like they're kinda slap and dash.

What do you guys think of the collab with Christan Audette?

frigobar
Learner
Learner

Post by frigobar »

DrowningInMelancholy wrote:I don't mind the boxings, except that it seems like they're kinda slap and dash.

What do you guys think of the collab with Christan Audette?
Is it even a collab when you don’t create anything new? Sigma does these bundles with influencers’ favorite brushes and I’ve never seen any of them call it a collab. I’d say that one Gigi Goode lipstick she put in there was a proper collab, not this

Return to “P-T”