• Advertisement

Extra(Boring)SunbeamsJess part 3

Re: Extra(Boring)SunbeamsJess part 3

Postby beamingink » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am

I think the coke ad video rubbed me up the wrong way because it was just not at all connected to her style on youtube. There was no Jess in there, and it was actually quite shocking. It's almost as if she didn't make it at all. It would have been more 'her' if she had at least talked throughout the video like a vlog style of thing, but nothing... just some elongated, mundane clips to fill up the timeframe. I can understand that coke would have wanted to be the only product in there (with her following and size of the company I reckon she would have got at LEAST £30k for her video and a further £10k for her instagram promotions, so good on her for taking it up but that video was not the time to introduce a totally new style of film and edit.

I feel sad. I always saw Jess as this little gem on Youtube that would motivate me to be better, whether that be through her study blogs, uni videos or simply her luxurious hauls. She could have been big, but when it comes to growth and views her channel is withering away. I'm presuming she'll come back post September and take it seriously (she's always made it clear that uni is her priority and so it should be) and hopefully things will start to go back to how they were. At this point I feel she makes videos just for the point of it - either to do the work for a sponsorship (I've never seen a youtuber with such a high concentration of sponsored, lifeless videos!) or as random, dull videos to fill in between so her channel isn't one big ad stream. There's no passion there anymore and you can tell. At this point I feel as though she's finished with it but trying to get as many sponsorships as possible before things die out. In a past video she did mention that she intended to Youtube full time after finishing her degree (obviously she then went on to do a masters) in order to 'save up a bit of money for adult things', so that is what she sees it as, her business. I have no problems with you tubers earning money and I think they should if they're advertising a product to a lot of people, and I understand it is a business, but you need a lot of personality and wish to do youtube otherwise it'll just die.

Whilst I appreciate she's always stipulated she puts uni first, I've also undertaken a masters at a reputable London uni and it doesn't take up that much of your time... it really doesn't. Particularly when you're doing an arts degree.
beamingink
Lurker
Lurker

Advertisement

Postby airlocked » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Can someone recap the video please? Just don't have the energy to watch a 45min video...
airlocked
Informer
Informer

Postby me_cago_en_todo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:41 pm

airlocked wrote:Can someone recap the video please? Just don't have the energy to watch a 45min video...

- she's merging her channels so her vlogs are gonna be on her main channel now
- once she finishes her dissertation she's done with studying most likely
- expect a lot of sponsored content because "all of the spons came at once".
- clothing haul + new expensive handbag
- she ate a ramen for lunch even though she hasn't eaten one in "like, four weeks".....
- new vlogging camera
- she went to the library
me_cago_en_todo
Learner
Learner

Postby _iva19_ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

What a snooze fest of a vlog.
It really rubbed me the wrong way, but I don’t find most of her points worthy of discussion. One thing I’ll comment on is that remark about female YouTubers and sponsorship – I honestly thought she was joking when she mentioned that. Yeah, let’s rely on imaginary gender prejudice to rationalize the fact that my viewers have noticed the lifeless, robot-like vibes in my sponsored content, what could possibly be wrong with that? Honestly, how does somebody as privileged as her think it's a good idea to even conceptualize the possibility of that and to offend the intelligence of her viewers like that..?

Maybe there’s a reason why your longtime viewers ‘’get their knickers in a bunch’’ when you provide such dull, unoriginal and disingenuous content. People have been leaving constructive, genuine criticism in the comments and she's too much of a fragile, sensitive snowflake to even glance at them. A legit quote from her vlog: "I didn't have the guts to check." (implying the feedback on the channel merge) Isn't that your job, Jess? Is there anything she doesn't half-ass anymore?
_iva19_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Postby airlocked » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the recaps! There are plenty of people who do sponsored videos, sometimes it is organic. Other times it is literally a 'thank you X for sponsoring this video' then moves onto their normal video content (which I also don't find problematic).

But Jess only posts sponsored content these days. Or, I guess this vlog where she is spending the money from her sponsorships on luxury goods and then displays said goods?
airlocked
Informer
Informer

Postby sororitygirl123 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 pm

I love a good designer bag, but does she really need 2 Chloe backpacks? It's just a little smaller.
sororitygirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Postby smashthebox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 pm

I got a couple minutes into her latest vlog and fell asleep. She is so boring.
smashthebox
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Postby Adem » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 am

_iva19_ wrote:What a snooze fest of a vlog.
It really rubbed me the wrong way, but I don’t find most of her points worthy of discussion. One thing I’ll comment on is that remark about female YouTubers and sponsorship – I honestly thought she was joking when she mentioned that. Yeah, let’s rely on imaginary gender prejudice to rationalize the fact that my viewers have noticed the lifeless, robot-like vibes in my sponsored content, what could possibly be wrong with that? Honestly, how does somebody as privileged as her think it's a good idea to even conceptualize the possibility of that and to offend the intelligence of her viewers like that..?

Maybe there’s a reason why your longtime viewers ‘’get their knickers in a bunch’’ when you provide such dull, unoriginal and disingenuous content. People have been leaving constructive, genuine criticism in the comments and she's too much of a fragile, sensitive snowflake to even glance at them. A legit quote from her vlog: "I didn't have the guts to check." (implying the feedback on the channel merge) Isn't that your job, Jess? Is there anything she doesn't half-ass anymore?

Omg you're so right. Now that you put it that way it really annoys me that she said that. She doesn't care about her followers anymore, she hasn't uploaded regularly in years now and only uploads to make money. She is in this position because of her (longtime) viewers and then insults us by saying that because we're rightfully so annoyed that she doesn't seem to care.
Adem
Learner
Learner

Postby poppedcorn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 am

me_cago_en_todo wrote:
airlocked wrote:Can someone recap the video please? Just don't have the energy to watch a 45min video...

- she's merging her channels so her vlogs are gonna be on her main channel now
- once she finishes her dissertation she's done with studying most likely
- expect a lot of sponsored content because "all of the spons came at once".
- clothing haul + new expensive handbag
- she ate a ramen for lunch even though she hasn't eaten one in "like, four weeks".....
- new vlogging camera
- she went to the library

she really could've split this up into a few videos. would've been less painful to sit through (i still haven't finished it, really struggling) and it could've been spaced out over a few weeks. a channel update (talking about merge + sponsored content), then a haul, then the 'study vlog' portion where she talks about how she doesn't want to continue studying after her dissertation and then her vloggy library stuff.
but no, she has to dump it into one boring 45 min thing which i doubt many people were able to sit through.
poppedcorn
Informer
Informer

Postby BigBerry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:34 am

I feel as if she doesn't even appreciate the things she buys. She bought another Chloe bag just because. There wasn't any excitement there. She must be used to spending that kind of money just like that.

On another note at least it wasn't a terribly boring vlog but it was kinda redundant. I miss her more creative videos like "how to style'. I mean she bought a lot of stuff but that doesn't mean she will use it all. She at least could have made something like a 'what I wore vlog' and then talk more about her outfits.

Or a workout vlog would be good. Just post something with some substance to it.

I didn't comment about her coke ad but that was really boring af. Hope by sponsored content she didn't nean more videos like that :x
BigBerry
Learner
Learner

Postby Mucha » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 am

I actually liked this vlog! She came across as more motivated and more like her old self. I know others mentioned how long it was and struggling to finish it but this was one of the better videos we’ve seen from her in a long time IMO. Also she looked gorgeous around the 17 minute mark with that lipstick and muuuuuch better with her bangs to the side. Fingers crossed that she’ll grow out her hair a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mucha
Learner
Learner

Postby ECH » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

I agree, this felt like old Jess back. Plus she did look really good in that shot with the lipstick and her hair pushed to the side. Hopefully her motivation is real and she comes back around to putting effort into her YouTube
ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Postby minieve » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

Video was ok, she was definitely more upbeat and chatty than she’s been in a long time, but talking about the sponsorships really annoyed me. No one cares about you making money it’s just disingenuous when it’s the only thing you’re posting.
I prefer the luxury hauls to the normal ones. I know it’s crazy to drop that money on a bag when she has a very similar one but at least you know she actually keeps and uses the luxury stuff when the topshop stuff is probably worn twice on average.
Her hair is gorgeous at the moment and it suits her face so much better now that it’s grown out
minieve
Talker
Talker

Postby tiredofblogs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 pm

I loved her hair and makeup mid vid and even though I appreciate that it’s excessive, I love that new handbag too! Now if she would just start wearing some flattering clothes and vlogging something interesting (the Asos trip, the holiday...)
tiredofblogs
Learner
Learner

Postby ninjaduen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Actually, the hair is kind of growing on me. Not especially the bangs, but the length overall looks good with her natural texture. But (and this is a big one), she looks about twelve in almost all of the try on part of the vlog. Why does she dress like this? Her figure is so nice, especially when she pulled the turquoise t-shirt up instead of wearing it over the trousers. The combination looked like pjs! :?
ninjaduen
Lurker
Lurker

Postby beamingink » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:40 am

I personally enjoyed this latest video, and I agree that it'll benefit her greatly to have a more laid back style towards quality because I think she'll upload more as a result. I enjoyed hearing an update from her - although as others have said, certain things rubbed me the wrong way - particularly the male/female youtubers and sponsorship. Clearly she's seen the negative feedback in response to her coke ad and worded it as 'well im a woman and people don't like women succeeding and making money'...????? CLEARLY you don't believe that Jessie otherwise you wouldn't have responded by putting up a vlog type/non-sponsored video on your channel to try and take some of the heat off.

Whilst I enjoyed the video, those initial comments just tainted it for me. I just feel she's posted it to fill up the gaps between each sponsored video so she can come back and say 'I don't only upload sponsored content'.

I also find it very strange that she never seems to take advantage of multiple video opportunities when she could. Often in the past she'll have a 25 min vlog and then add a lush haul on top of that... they get loads of views and people love watching them so why not make another video solely dedicated to the lush haul?

She could have done a bag unboxing, an update vlog, a study vlog, a clothing haul. I don't get it.

I didn't like the attitude I saw at the start of the vlog and felt it quite passive aggressive. She knows full well where she went wrong with he coke ad (it was the video itself NOT the fact she was sponsored) otherwise she wouldn't have said what she did and uploaded this. Tired now. I subscribed in 2013 and I'm done. As her viewers you're on the understanding that her uni comes first (fair enough) so there won't be frequent uploads... fine. But don't fob us off that we're being unreasonable when you made a mistake.
beamingink
Lurker
Lurker

Postby horatio » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 am

Yeah I’m the first to call out sexism and double standards such as she is alluding to, they are rampant in many fields. Not in this specific situation though. First of all, male youtubers do get called out for ads, but more importantly she suddenly did a whole load at once, way disproportionate to her usual ratio of sponsored content to regular. And the coke one was the icing on the cake because it was just so lifeless.
horatio
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Postby poppedcorn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:19 pm

horatio wrote:Yeah I’m the first to call out sexism and double standards such as she is alluding to, they are rampant in many fields. Not in this specific situation though. First of all, male youtubers do get called out for ads, but more importantly she suddenly did a whole load at once, way disproportionate to her usual ratio of sponsored content to regular. And the coke one was the icing on the cake because it was just so lifeless.

I often see viewers praising youtubers (female!) for getting good sponsorships too, like "yes girl get that coin" when the youtuber is like "Hey guys, first of all todays video is sponsored by ___ thank you so much (brief 1min explanation of the service), then they move into the regular video. Its defs not a hating sponsorships/hating females doing sponsorships thing. And I think if she really wants to do that many sponsorships it would be a better way to go. We subscribe for Jess, not an ad.
But instead, as you said she just does something lifeless such as the coke ad. Or its just 100% about the sponsor, like the nasty gal one, so it ends up feeling disingenuous and like an ad.
poppedcorn
Informer
Informer

Postby kingkaty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Did she really earn 30K for that coke ad? Whoa. I mean, it was lacking good aesthetic content really, it was a plain snooze. i agree the godawful bangs have gone she must have realised that they really swamped her face, just did nothing for her. BUT truthfully, i'm not sure what she plans to do post masters in sep? dont think she actually said...just sad that 30K is spent on bags that she already has in every size, colour...shes more materialistic than i thought for years
kingkaty
Talker
Talker

Postby timesnewroman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Haven't been watching or following her that much but wow if she really did get 30k for the coke ad that's wild. Idk how many sponsorships she has done recently but for years we been seeing her drink coke lmao I would have jumped at the opportunity. She seems like someone who actually uses the stuff and buys from the companies who sponsor her though. Off the top of my head asos, top shop, giorgio armani. Maybe I'm wrong though, I would be pretty pissed if it was video after video of sponsored content that she doesn't use. Maybe she's moving out soon after her masters and is trying to save up? No excuse though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
timesnewroman
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Postby sororitygirl123 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

The side part makes her hair look 1000 times better.
sororitygirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Postby ima » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:21 pm

For someone who is very intelligent and eloquent, Jess really drives me insane when she talks about social and ethical issues in her videos. It was the same with the vegan thing last year, she is acting like she's an oppressed minority when she is the complete opposite. I'm all for talks on feminism etc but hers just screams white privilege. She has no clue.
ima
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Postby BrideOfFrankenstein » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Oh great, another #ad.

It's becoming so obvious (and pathetic) that she only uploads those boring ass vlogs to break up her ad after ad after ad cycle a bit so her subscribers won't complain.
BrideOfFrankenstein
Gossiper
Gossiper

Postby _iva19_ » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Has she actually changed her style as a consequence of Instagram influcence( :roll: ) or is it only for the ads?
_iva19_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Postby BigBerry » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Another poorly filmed ad video :roll:

And where is she even? Doesn't look like the farm or her London home. Could this be Zak's place?
BigBerry
Learner
Learner

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to P-T
VigLink badge