Does anyone else only like 'old' music?

Shameless
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does anyone else only like 'old' music?

Post by Shameless »

I don't know about you guys, but I really can't stand most of the music that is coming out at the moment. Don't get me wrong, some of it is actually quite appealing but it's not something that I would want to listen to more than once or deliberately seek out/download for myself.

Like most people, I listened to a lot of music during high school and then once I graduated and got a job and a life and whatnot I kind of stopped 'following' it as much.

Well now I'm sort of getting back into it and omfg I hate everything. So I've just gone back to listening to my old faithfuls.

Anyone else only listen to 'old' stuff?

When I say old I mean stuff like Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, MxPx, etc. and then further back like Guns n Roses and Bon Jovi.

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Does anyone else only like 'old' music?

Post by RoseHammer »

Older music is a staple for me. I find newer music to just be really contrived and marketing driven. The industry has gotten warped.

Shameless
Debater
Debater

Post by Shameless »

RoseHammer wrote:Older music is a staple for me. I find newer music to just be really contrived and marketing driven. The industry has gotten warped.
Do you ever feel old listening to it? What about wearing band t-shirts from bands that were popular 10+ years ago.

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by RoseHammer »

.... I feel like myself, I guess? Being 20, and always having been called an "old soul" I never really get the sensation of being old persay. I don't see Guns n' Roses or Bon Jovi as being old, considering I've also listened to Frank Sinatra, The Crystals, and operas that were written hundreds of years ago.

cherrybunny
Lurker
Lurker

Post by cherrybunny »

Lol old music blink182 :D "old" music to me sounds even better than what is released now, especially classic rock, pop music.

TheDarkprince600
Talker
Talker

Post by TheDarkprince600 »

I like the music that our grandparents listened to when they were in their youths. Maybe music older than that.
What particular body you currently occupy is trivial.

LaLuna
Stalker
Stalker

Post by LaLuna »

I love 1980s music. It has an atmosphere and a distinction between artists lacking in the current radiopop market. I wasn't even alive in the 80s, I wish I could have been to experience it when it was new and played everywhere.

Honestly up until the 90s every decade seems to have its unique styles but I can't tell music from this decade from music from last decade. There hasn't been much change like there was between every decade up until the 2000s.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

I'm way into early 90s alt rock, and that's probably 70% of what I listen to. I also love the Beatles (obviously) and the Delfonics.
It's not like I can't enjoy new music at all, it just rarely sticks with me. I think the latest album I've loved was from 2012.

fihe
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fihe »

I mostly listen to 80s/90s music, but many of the bands I like are still active today.

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

With 'new music' sucking, it's all down to the genre, I find.
Mainstream pop has gone to shit. It was never groundbreaking or an exquisite art form, but it used to have some soul, it was catchy and relied on good lyrics, good beats and talent. Now... :roll: Everything that comes out of whatever genre Fetty Wap is, is an insult to music.

I listen to a lot of 90s rock, 00s pop-punk and similar genres. I find that I tend to hate new music coming out. I have this weird notion in my head that at any given time, we have achieved the maximum greatness in music and nothing that comes out can ever be good again. So new music coming out, I usually hate just because it's new. It takes me a while to get used to it and by that point it's already a 'song from the past' and is therefore good. :D

But, having said that, I listen to a lot of rock, post-hardcore, metalcore, indie, psychedelic. There are good bands nowadays for that, and just a couple weeks ago I discovered K.Flay when she was supporting PVRIS. She is this cool indie alternative hip hop eclectic artist. I don't usually listen to that kind of music, but I absolutely her voice, intonation and songwriting.
Pastel Rage wrote: I also love the Beatles (obviously)
Unpopular opinion, but I can't stand The Beatles :D
The few songs that I don't mind have been overplayed so goddamn much, and I don't care for the rest of the discography. Don't like the vocals, don't like the genre... Nah-ah

Return to “Music”