Surrounded by anti-kpop fans

Red jellyfish
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Surrounded by anti-kpop fans

Post by Red jellyfish »

I'm so sick of people hating on kpop like its Hitler, I understand that not everybodies going to like it but most people i know who hate it, haven't actually listened to anything but Psy's hit songs. I'm not sure about other countries, or the attitudes towards it there, but australians act like you hate australia, if you like things from other cultures or that you support North Korea. I can't actually talk about kpop at school or listen to it outloud because I dont want to be a target of others.
//Rant over
But seriously, is there anybody else here on GG, who have the similar issues.

HatsuneMiku
Talker
Talker

Re: Surrounded by anti-kpop fans

Post by HatsuneMiku »

Red jellyfish wrote:I'm so sick of people hating on kpop like its Hitler, I understand that not everybodies going to like it but most people i know who hate it, haven't actually listened to anything but Psy's hit songs. I'm not sure about other countries, or the attitudes towards it there, but australians act like you hate australia, if you like things from other cultures or that you support North Korea. I can't actually talk about kpop at school or listen to it outloud because I dont want to be a target of others.
//Rant over

A lot of people hate k-pop, or just say "Well, why can't you listen to something similar in ENGLISH?"
People mostly can understand if they've like anime, j-pop, other culture's music, etc. (Well, at least in my area.)
I don't understand why people hate k-pop so much where you live, it's just music in ... Korean.
I don't really have that much issues, just a few k-pop/anime/asian people haterzzzz around where I live.
It's best just to find people with similar tastes on the internet until you stumble into someone who likes k-pop.
♥*Keep fighting~*♥

Red jellyfish
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Red jellyfish »

Thank you for replying. I guess the people where i live hate it so much is because it is a small coastal town with no minorities. If your not a surfie bum, retiree or rich you dont really fit in here.

babotokki_
Learner
Learner

Post by babotokki_ »

Im surrounded by people who are overly obsessed with it which actually annoys me. lol... But I still like Korean culture and all that jazz. The funny thing is that all my Korean friends dont like kpop either. So in my case its just a matter of personal preferences, its just stupid that people think negatively about me because I dont like their kpop music. I used to like kpop 7 or so years ago, is it wrong for me not to like it any more? Seriously.. lol.
But Ive never heard of Australians thinking you hate Australia because you like different cultures stuff... I was born in Victoria~ so it could be different here from where ever you live. xD

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

Things like that don't really bother me. I have loved folk music and opera for years and had to put up with people making stupid ignorant remarks. I love Bollywood films and get stupid remarks over that. Who cares! People are ignorant and you are not going to change that.

friedpotato
Learner
Learner

Post by friedpotato »

I have this one friend who hates Kpop so much that she hates anything Korean. She purposely broke a Kdrama CD because it's in Korean. I mean, sure, she doesn't like the music, it's fine by me, but to the point where she just had to be disgusted by any item that has a slightly Korean wording on it is just...ugh. On the other hand, she's a Jpop and an anime lover. I'm not trying to compare or anything but I find both Kpop and Jpop to be somewhat similar in a way. They are still music and not in English, and I love them both. I just don't get it lol

mtbjp
Learner
Learner

Post by mtbjp »

where i live all the kpop haterz are more like projapanese people, weaboos and stuff like that

i kind of like kpop and korean culture as well as japanese and chinese culture, but i dont get why the hate to the others if you like just one

Enviado desde mi GT-S7500L usando Tapatalk 2

blueandsilver

Post by blueandsilver »

I would love to get into K-Pop!
...But I just don't know how. :shy:

I want to know all the popular bands, and all the members everyone talks about.

CannibalCrayon

Post by CannibalCrayon »

blueandsilver wrote:I would love to get into K-Pop!

I'm really or of touch with what's 'popular on kpop'. I'm still shoved Snsd and suju whenever they have comebacks but I personally only like snsds Japanese songs and I never like suju. Exo's pretty popular, and they're good. Big Bang is a good place to start, but it's been awhile since they made a comeback (unless they did very recently, I've been a but out of touch)
But I personally love Block B, B.A.P, Infinite, Miss A, Girls Day, and Brown Eyed Girls just to start.

Once you get into the kpop part of YouTube, bands just kind of fall in your lap. I started when I stumbled across a Lee Jung Hyun video like 6-7 years ago (she's basically irrelevant now, but I still love her.) Then I was introduced to Epik High and Big Bang and I've been involved ever since. You just have to find a band you like and go crazy in the YouTube sidebars, but memorizing member names and faces is a bit more challenging. Personally I can't be assed to do it most of the time,I usually remember them by exposure alone.

BUT I DIGRESS, I only have one other friends who likes kpop and she's more on the obsessed side, so I don't even like discussing it with her. Everyone else I know hates it. I have yet to find someone who just listens to it because they like the music, it's insane. Either people hate it or they're crying in a corner because some girl on YouTube claimed she was going to marry their bias. It's so ridiculous.

CannibalCrayon

Post by CannibalCrayon »

blueandsilver wrote:I would love to get into K-Pop!

I'm really out of touch with what's 'popular in kpop'. I'm still shoved Snsd and suju whenever they have comebacks but I personally only like snsd's Japanese songs and I never like suju. Exo's pretty popular, and they're good. Big Bang is a good place to start, but it's been awhile since they made a comeback (unless they did very recently, I've been a bit out of touch)
But I personally love Block B, B.A.P, Infinite, Miss A, Girls Day, and Brown Eyed Girls (just to start.)

Once you get into the kpop part of YouTube, bands just kind of fall in your lap. I started when I stumbled across a Lee Jung Hyun video like 6-7 years ago (she's basically irrelevant now, but I still love her.) Then I was introduced to Epik High and Big Bang and I've been involved ever since. You just have to find a band you like and go crazy in the YouTube sidebars, but memorizing member names and faces is a bit more challenging. Personally I can't be assed to do it most of the time,I usually remember them by exposure alone.

BUT I DIGRESS, I only have one other friends who likes kpop and she's more on the obsessed side, so I don't even like discussing it with her. Everyone else I know hates it. I have yet to find someone who just listens to it because they like the music, it's insane. Either people hate it or they're crying in a corner because some girl on YouTube claimed she was going to marry their bias. It's so ridiculous.

amiieey
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by amiieey »

I used to love KPOP. I still listen to it sometimes these days, but I liked it ever since middle school and I swear, nobody else in my grade at the time knew what it was. I was the only one (well maybe others did, but they never said so) to really express how much I liked it, and I admit I was obsessed. People would think it was weird and make fun of me for it and eventually you get used to it. I don't know why but I got a lot of hate for it. I stuck with it because I liked it, besides, you're the one listening to the music. I didn't have anyone to talk to about kpop either so I had to just hang around online. I drifted away from it once I hit highschool, but it was a memorable time for me.. I enjoyed it and I wouldn't change a thing.

yteri
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yteri »

A few years ago I used to almost exclusively listen to K-Pop, this must've been about 2011 to 2012? Bands like 2NE1 and Orange Caramel I particularly like. In fact, I remember being one of the first people to listen to Gangnam Style not because it was viral but because I just liked K-Pop haha (hipster moment). At that time, where I lived it wasn't really popular at all, actually it was considered kind of weird but Psy kind of normalised it after Gangnam Style. I used to be really into J-Pop also, namely Perfume and Capsule and also Vocaloid music (which really isn't my thing anymore). I really think those years helped shape my music taste now, which is very electronic based.

In regards to anti k-pop fans, I wouldn't consider myself "anti" K-Pop but I don't like it very much anymore as I find it very... formulative? If that's a word. I hate to use the word but, mainstream K-Pop tends to be very cardboard cut out-y. I don't really understand music theory very much but I'm sure if you were to properly analyse popular Korean music, groups such as SNSD or EXO, the dynamics, structure and whatever would be fairly similar. However, just because I don't listen to it anymore doesn't necessarily mean I hate all K-Pop. I still really enjoy some Orange Caramel songs and 2NE1 and I recently discovered Epik High's 'Born Hater' and 'It G Ma' by Keith Ape (which I know is basically a remake of OG Maco's 'U Guessed It') which I like. The only thing I really dislike about K-Pop, more specifically, a particular type of K-Pop fan is when someone will only ever listen to Korean musiching I really dislike about K-Pop, more specifically, a particular type of K-Pop fan is when someone will only ever listen to Korean music and refuse to listen to any other type of music just because it's not in a specific language. I know a person who I guess you would call a Korea-boo who will absolutely refuse to listen even a second of "western" music down to the fact that it's in English.

Language doesn't mean very much to me for my enjoyment of music, take Sigur Rós who are an Icelandic band but make music in a variety of languages, real and fictional. Some of their songs are sung in a language which they call "Vonlenska" which really is just gibberish. Another artist who I like who doesn't always use real languages in their music is Björk (if you can't tell by my profile picture already, I adore her). In her music she occasionally uses gibberish to express emotions that words can't really express. For example, in her song 'Pagan Poetry' at around the 3:35 mark she starts belting gibberish in this song about her new lover to express this immense love that she felt for him. In comparison in her recent song 'Family' at 5:25 she begins to use gibberish to express her mourning for "the death of her family". However I think the emotion or meaning behind the lyrics is important. I discovered a K-Pop song recently which from what I understand was only about ice cream cake...? I've kind of rambled but I hope that my mini-essay was interesting enough.

TL;DR - I don't like K-Pop anymore but the fact it's in a different language doesn't matter to me but I feel like it's too a bit of a piss take when people rave about K-Pop artists with stupid lyrics

princezuko
Informer
Informer

Post by princezuko »

People will dislike things we all like and vice versa, such is life. I think if racism or intended ignorance is involved then yeah, it's unfortunate but bigots are everywhere and it's best to just distance yourself from that behavior or hate. I have friends who dislike it because it's not their thing but never personally met someone willfully hating it. You can rarely change one's opinions, especially when it boils down to willful ignorance or hate.

I used to be big into K-pop in 2010-2012. Over time I've naturally become less interested. Like another user commented it's all very formulated and the forced interactions, roles, mediaplay, fanbase etc. can be a big turn off. The music itself is still fine though imo. It seems the "Hallyu Wave" is slowing down a lot but is at the same time gaining more international 'acceptance.' The biggest turn-off for me is honestly the Koreaboos, but I won't get into that since I just started my account and the last thing I need is getting in trouble lol

yteri
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yteri »

princezuko wrote: I used to be big into K-pop in 2010-2012. Over time I've naturally become less interested. Like another user commented it's all very formulated and the forced interactions, roles, mediaplay, fanbase etc. can be a big turn off. The music itself is still fine though imo. It seems the "Hallyu Wave" is slowing down a lot but is at the same time gaining more international 'acceptance.' The biggest turn-off for me is honestly the Koreaboos, but I won't get into that since I just started my account and the last thing I need is getting in trouble lol
I think it's that after Gangnam Style went viral, all these big businesses like YG and whatnot have tried to cash in on Gangnam Style's success as everyone was betting that K-Pop would be the new thing to the point where they thought that K-Pop bands would often be in the top 10 but clearly not. So whilst these companies (because let's face it, nowadays the majority of K-Pop bands are better defined as brands and products rather than doing it for the music) thought that they would be able to make loads of money they oversaturated the industry with what seemed to be rookie groups after rookie groups all in a similar genre to Gangnam Style and Gentleman, this upbeat dance track. There's not much variety anymore, I don't know if 2NE1 would do a song like It Hurts again. I think that's why a lot of people got disinterested around that time, or at least I did.

smars27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by smars27 »

Red jellyfish wrote:I'm so sick of people hating on kpop like its Hitler, I understand that not everybodies going to like it but most people i know who hate it, haven't actually listened to anything but Psy's hit songs. I'm not sure about other countries, or the attitudes towards it there, but australians act like you hate australia, if you like things from other cultures or that you support North Korea. I can't actually talk about kpop at school or listen to it outloud because I dont want to be a target of others.
//Rant over
Lol to the people, who think that listening to K-pop is supporting to North-Korea. I mean do do you really want fans that ignorant anyway.

I have the opposite issue. Everyone thinks just because I'm half-Korean that I want to watch Kdrama and listen to K-pop music. :| Not all Asians take pictures of Food, like K-pop, and really other harmful stereotypes I don't wanna get into.

I think the biggest issue is that some people are a bit "too rabid" that people just want to be like, (in their head) will you just shut-up!!??) K-pop is actually really popular, but it's still niche. Just find other people that like it too, and they won't mind the fangurling..

bloomingpeony
Talker
Talker

Post by bloomingpeony »

I'm into foreign music and many different genres (only a few people are directly weird about it). I think some people are scared of what they don't know (closed minded), I agree if they searched for the lyrics or even tried to listen to more than 1 song in different genres. Then I'd understand that they don't like it, it's annoying to be so ignorant lol. I think I get away with it, like the poster above since I'm asian (but, not korean).

Return to “Music”