Talker
Talker

Re: Cimorelli Pt 2

Post by gg208 »

aames2911 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 am
And Cimorelli is back
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP3QvfIFKVo/
that sounds boring af. I thought they were gonna do a reality show for sure.

talldecafcappuccino
Talker
Talker

Post by talldecafcappuccino »

gg208 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:22 pm
aames2911 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 am
And Cimorelli is back
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP3QvfIFKVo/
that sounds boring af. I thought they were gonna do a reality show for sure.
:rofl:
When they said they were working on a "sister series" I guess this is what they meant. The trailer definitely made it seem like a reality show.

talldecafcappuccino
Talker
Talker

Guys they spent SO much money on this guess who's singing thing. Did you all see the billboard post?!

I feel like they put a lot of money into it hoping it'll become really popular but the only people who are going to watch are people who already know about them.

allycatt
Talker
Talker

Post by allycatt »

Omg the billboard actually killed me lol. I don’t know how much it cost to set one up but I imagine it’s not cheap, and tbh… it kinda feels like a waste to me.

I just can’t see this picking up in the ways they’re probably expecting it to. I don’t think it has any kind of appeal to strangers and people who aren’t already following them. I know who they are and it still doesn’t appeal to me lol. And even if I was an avid fan, I still don’t think I’d be interested in this. I feel like it’ll get dull too fast because there isn’t really anything intriguing about it.

stocktonslap209
Learner
Learner

Post by stocktonslap209 »

I feel like they are hyping it too much lol. I was really looking forward to a new album or something. But who knows maybe the series will be really good???

25scuba
Learner
Learner

Post by 25scuba »

cimorelli honestly doesn't feel like a band anymore, but a brand. they haven't put out original music in so long. everything about them seems so gimmicky and corporate. it's really a shame because i really do like their covers and harmonies, but can't really find another such cover band. anyone got any suggestions?

25scuba
Learner
Learner

Post by 25scuba »

also i guess the billboard is to attract people outside of their target audience, presumably people who haven't heard of them before. but don't you have to be knowing their voices to participate in this? what's the point of getting people who haven't heard them before to watch??

Juliaemonaco8
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Juliaemonaco8 »

I dont know if this is allowed on here, but does anybody else get a closeted queer vibe from Amy?

Shantel
Learner
Learner

Post by Shantel »

It looks like the girls brother Alex just got engaged. The Cimorelli kids seem to be settling down one by one.

talldecafcappuccino
Talker
Talker

Shantel wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:15 pm
It looks like the girls brother Alex just got engaged. The Cimorelli kids seem to be settling down one by one.
Omg!
They're SO cute together but is it just me or was his caption about their engagement REALLY weird?? It was mostly about how they work through all of their problems, lol I would have expected something a little more romantic???

talldecafcappuccino
Talker
Talker

Juliaemonaco8 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm
I dont know if this is allowed on here, but does anybody else get a closeted queer vibe from Amy?
I definitely get that vibe also! I wonder (if she is) if she'll ever be open about it or if she'll stay in the closet for life because of her upbringing. I think she did say in a video recently that she is dating?

lunacy_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lunacy_ »

Ok so I wasn't that excited by their series announcement but I was actually hoping it would be good because of how excited and passionate they seem. However, I had to turn it off a few minutes in. I've followed Cimorelli since their first cover- yeah I'm not a huge fan anymore but, being the same age as Amy, I kind of feel like I've grown up with them. But that's the thing - they haven't grown with their audience. If they want to have a children's fan base that's fair enough but I feel like their target audience is a bit all over the place. The 'acting' as celebrity hosts and silly costumes is just so cringey, especially as they've spent so much time and money marketing this as a professional series. Plus I totally agree with what someone said earlier about the billboard- even if people who don't know them watch this, how will they guess the voice or the clues? I don't know..maybe it's just not my thing but I would have loved to have seen them do something like a virtual singing competition where they all got to coach and judge (kind of like when they recorded a song with a fan) or a behind-the-scenes documentary instead.

simbiplays35
Stalker
Stalker
Been thanked: 0

Post by simbiplays35 »

lunacy_ wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:37 am
Ok so I wasn't that excited by their series announcement but I was actually hoping it would be good because of how excited and passionate they seem. However, I had to turn it off a few minutes in. I've followed Cimorelli since their first cover- yeah I'm not a huge fan anymore but, being the same age as Amy, I kind of feel like I've grown up with them. But that's the thing - they haven't grown with their audience. If they want to have a children's fan base that's fair enough but I feel like their target audience is a bit all over the place. The 'acting' as celebrity hosts and silly costumes is just so cringey, especially as they've spent so much time and money marketing this as a professional series. Plus I totally agree with what someone said earlier about the billboard- even if people who don't know them watch this, how will they guess the voice or the clues? I don't know..maybe it's just not my thing but I would have loved to have seen them do something like a virtual singing competition where they all got to coach and judge (kind of like when they recorded a song with a fan) or a behind-the-scenes documentary instead.
Yea it really sucks honestly, I think I will always be a fan of them just because of how long I followed them but its getting harder to watch their content.

Really surprised they invested so much into this tbh, curious to see how it will do tho. Ngl kinda hope it flops so they focus on something else

mysterylovescompany
Learner
Learner

Post by mysterylovescompany »

I can see how the show might be entertaining for their current viewers, but I think I've outgrown Cimorelli. I watched the entire first episode, but kept checking how much of the video was left. The intro was WAY too long and over-explained the premise. We get it, we have to guess who is singing. This isn't difficult to comprehend.

I think the problem is that this new show doesn't have anything that appeals to me. I like harmonies, and this has each sister singing separately. I like their live or at least minimally edited vocals, and these have been pitched to high heaven. I like creative original songs and new covers, and this is even a song that they've covered before! They're not popular enough for people to obsess over every aspect of their character or personality. The part where Lisa listed their stats and accolades was cringe. How long ago did they win that Teen Choice Award? Lisa's host voice annoys me. Not sure if she's being serious or sincere... the words are sincere but her tone makes me think the whole thing is a big joke.

And how long are they going to milk their last original song "I Am Enough", which came out almost a year ago? If they were focusing on being a band then they would write and release more original music. With 3/5 of them either mothers or expecting, I don't expect them to have the same level of output they had a few years ago, but nowadays they don't seem to be a band as much as a general YouTube "content creator" channel with somewhat of a focus on singing. The fact that the viewers have to know trivia about the girls for the clues sounds like they're appealing to their fanbase, but that's not the kind of thing that will grab new viewers. Why should they know or care who changed her hairstyle or got a concussion?

I wonder if any of the other girls have ever thought about leaving the band. Sometimes I sense "get me out of here" vibes from Lauren. But if she left and continued to make solo music, maybe the others (esp. Christina) might take it personally? Idk.

Lastly, I feel a bit weird commenting on this, especially since she's pregnant but... Kath has gained a lot of weight recently. Maybe they just carry their weight differently or it's due to the fact that Kath's having twins, but Lisa hasn't gained nearly as much in comparison. I remember a while ago Kath was raving about "intuitive eating", which (although it may sound like a good principle) can unfortunately lead to binge-eating and other bad habits. I hope Kath hasn't fallen into that trap. :?

25scuba
Learner
Learner

Post by 25scuba »

mysterylovescompany wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:21 pm
I can see how the show might be entertaining for their current viewers, but I think I've outgrown Cimorelli. I watched the entire first episode, but kept checking how much of the video was left. The intro was WAY too long and over-explained the premise. We get it, we have to guess who is singing. This isn't difficult to comprehend.

I think the problem is that this new show doesn't have anything that appeals to me. I like harmonies, and this has each sister singing separately. I like their live or at least minimally edited vocals, and these have been pitched to high heaven. I like creative original songs and new covers, and this is even a song that they've covered before! They're not popular enough for people to obsess over every aspect of their character or personality. The part where Lisa listed their stats and accolades was cringe. How long ago did they win that Teen Choice Award? Lisa's host voice annoys me. Not sure if she's being serious or sincere... the words are sincere but her tone makes me think the whole thing is a big joke.

And how long are they going to milk their last original song "I Am Enough", which came out almost a year ago? If they were focusing on being a band then they would write and release more original music. With 3/5 of them either mothers or expecting, I don't expect them to have the same level of output they had a few years ago, but nowadays they don't seem to be a band as much as a general YouTube "content creator" channel with somewhat of a focus on singing. The fact that the viewers have to know trivia about the girls for the clues sounds like they're appealing to their fanbase, but that's not the kind of thing that will grab new viewers. Why should they know or care who changed her hairstyle or got a concussion?

I wonder if any of the other girls have ever thought about leaving the band. Sometimes I sense "get me out of here" vibes from Lauren. But if she left and continued to make solo music, maybe the others (esp. Christina) might take it personally? Idk.

Lastly, I feel a bit weird commenting on this, especially since she's pregnant but... Kath has gained a lot of weight recently. Maybe they just carry their weight differently or it's due to the fact that Kath's having twins, but Lisa hasn't gained nearly as much in comparison. I remember a while ago Kath was raving about "intuitive eating", which (although it may sound like a good principle) can unfortunately lead to binge-eating and other bad habits. I hope Kath hasn't fallen into that trap. :?
I totally agree! honestly i have no idea why lauren is still in the band. she could have a pretty decent solo career if she focussed more on her original stuff. it's great, catchy and sharply written. there's no reason why she couldn't form a band or an act of her own, maybe even team up with another artist (maybe even dani). i get the feeling that she's sticking with cimorelli because of the financial security. she probably doesn't feel as stifled as dani, but i wonder if she doesn't cringe at some of their content. like cimorelli try too hard to come off as wholesome and "uplifting." so much so that it feels like an artificial part of their brand, a box to tick off. it's quite a pity, because they've all got pretty great voices, and could easily pursue more artistic endeavours - more albums, collabs, writing for other artists. isn't the music scene in nashville pretty big? they're doing the kind of stuff they could've done in LA. it would probably be easier to do this singing show in LA.

rant over, but i honestly just want them to make actual music and stop pretending like they're still 12. honestly, it comes off as condescending when christina talks about wanting to be a "big sister"/"role model" for her fans. people pick role models organically. just because you're squeaky clean doesn't mean that you're a perfect role model.

allycatt
Talker
Talker

Post by allycatt »

I haven’t seen their new series so I can’t comment on any of that, but I still feel like what you guys are saying is pretty spot on in general.

Tbh, I get the feeling that they don’t really want to be a band anymore, but they aren’t going to just drop Cimorelli and the brand because it’s a nice, easy income for them and it keeps them relevant to their fans. But yeah, they haven’t been working on any new creations *as a band* in a long time.

Before their YouTube hiatus, they rarely were posting actual musical content unless it was silly videos like the harmonizing challenge. And while those aren’t bad necessarily, anyone could do them. You don’t NEED to be a band to post challenge videos relating to singing, if you know what I mean. They were just average videos. Their channel started to feel less and less like a band and more like a normal (for lack of a better term lol) channel. Which, again, isn’t necessarily bad but they continue to promote themselves as a band when they haven’t acted like one in quite some time.

I honestly wish they’d just… decide what to do. Like, they can drop the band persona for now and continue as normal content creators, and pick Cimorelli the band back up later on if they decide they’re ready/they want to. Or they can continue being a band, but actually do things related to their band and songs and musical content. This weird in-between just feels messy and incoherent to me, like they can’t decide what they want from this so they’re trying to do it all. But that only results in things feeling rushed or sloppy and not at all as put together as they probably hope it is.

allycatt
Talker
Talker

Post by allycatt »

Also, re: Lauren.

I get the vibe that she wants to split off sometimes too, and I think she could do pretty well for herself with her solo music. But I also get the vibe that she doesn’t bother leaving and doing her own thing because she’s kinda lazy lol. I don’t mean that in a bad way either haha, but she puts out her own music and projects at her own pace and whenever she feels like it. I’ve always felt her solo stuff was a side project and so she treats it as such, instead of putting her everything into it all the time. If she were to leave Cimorelli, I feel like her music would still remain a side project that she’d pick up whenever she wanted to. But I’d be fine with that still, I’d rather her release music that she made on her own terms.

But I would really love to see what an ex-Cimorelli band Lauren would be like. Would she be similar to Dani and appear more realistic, adult and serious? Or would she uphold the Nice, Friendly and Conservative image? Would her music have more mature lyrics and sounds, or would it carry the same “this is about an adult situation but written with child friendly lyrics” as the band? It’s kinda fun to wonder lol.

25scuba
Learner
Learner

Post by 25scuba »

yeah i totally agree with both your takes. they need to decide what to do instead of half-assing it. this singing show isnt all that revolutionary, so im genuinely confused that they spent so much time and energy on it.

about lauren, yeah she actually said in one of her personal videos that she's not a particularly motivated or driven person. so maybe she'd struggle outside of a cimorelli format. but i do think that she'd flourish if she had a creative space all to herself.

she actually said in an instagram q and a that she's less censored and more "savage" in person, because she doesnt wanna say anything offensive online. she gives me that vibe as well, i think she'd be really into dark humour. i can totally hear her swearing lmao.

again, im wondering if the whole squeaky clean image was christina's idea and she is the main person enforcing it. because idk how to believe that a bunch of kids who mostly grew up w the internet have never uttered a swear word in their lives. or atleast mentally done it. even lisa said that there's stuff that she'd laugh about in private but wont post about. im just curious, lol.

talldecafcappuccino
Talker
Talker

I ended up watching their "show" because it's actually not that long. It's ok? You can tell they spent so much time/money on this. I'm curious to see if it's actually going to be as hard as they made it seem it was going to be. So far fans seem pretty sure on who is singing and have the knowledge to back it up.

But I agree with you all. I feel like they should have released new music first. They're also coming out with new merch...which seems backwards. What's the point of having new merch if they don’t even have new music released?

It does seem like they want to shift from being a band to being youtubers, but can't decide (probably because they've been a band for so long).
Sometimes Lisa and Lauren don't really seem all that invested but they don't want to leave because of the financial security/expectation from family. With three of them being moms I don't know how they're going to keep going in the long term.
I agree this whole in-between thing is messy.

Juliaemonaco8
Learner
Learner

Post by Juliaemonaco8 »

I remember back in the days when they used Formspring some people asked if their parents were strict and they said no, they've never really had a lot of rules except for Christina since she's the oldest. I really think its peer pressure from each other/expectations of fans as to why they have squeaky clean images I've never gotten a crazy strict vibe from either parent.

Return to “Music”