Mass riots planned across the U.S over Michael Brown

loljokesss
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mass riots planned across the U.S over Michael Brown

Post by loljokesss »

Saw this on my Tumblr dashboard and thought it was relevant.

If you guys live in or around a large city where these riots are taking place please be safe. I don't think there are any in my area and I am not seeking to participate. In my honest opinion, riots are not the answer.
:toss:

teafreak22
Lurker
Lurker

Post by teafreak22 »

I'm not sure where you're hearing riots from, but I'm hearing non-violent protests. It's the officers and anyone else higher up in power that are responding to it like there automatically will be violent riots. And this totally has to do with race. There has been so much racial oppression in this country for a long long time, you'd have to be living in your own world not to see that. It's unacceptable that a police officer should get away with killing a child who was unarmed, especially if he shot him 6 times.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by white trash sparkles »

This makes me so angry as black Canadians have even planned riots in Toronto. Over something that happened in a completely different country, like really? Could you be that stupid. We have nothing to do with a U.S jury or verdict.

VeronicaSawyer

Mass riots planned across the U.S over Michael Brown

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

Again, riots aren't the proper response, but people aren't allowed to be angry at injustice if it didn't happen in their country? Really? There are protests all the time about things that happen elsewhere. We are all global citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loljokesss
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by loljokesss »

Bi-winning wrote:This makes me so angry as black Canadians have even planned riots in Toronto. Over something that happened in a completely different country, like really? Could you be that stupid. We have nothing to do with a U.S jury or verdict.
And? Doesn't mean that Canadian citizens aren't free to protest an issue that is affecting American citizens. Some Toronto citizens may have family in America.

Being socially aware is a good thing. :tu:

teafreak22
Lurker
Lurker

Post by teafreak22 »

fergusonresponse.tumblr.com
None of this seems "violent" or "riot"-like at all to me. Protest/March/Rally at a location near you.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

loljokesss wrote:
Bi-winning wrote:This makes me so angry as black Canadians have even planned riots in Toronto. Over something that happened in a completely different country, like really? Could you be that stupid. We have nothing to do with a U.S jury or verdict.
And? Doesn't mean that Canadian citizens aren't free to protest an issue that is affecting American citizens. Some Toronto citizens may have family in America.

Most Black Canadians do not have any American relatives and are first or second generation Carribean or African immigrants with zero U.S ties. So that's not the "reason". People here just see something going
On in the states and desire to copy it (like the 1992 copy cat Toronto riots over Rodney king). The G20 riot four years ago in Toronto was chaos as well, there were some people trying to protest for a cause and then all these people just decided to loot, steal and burn things just for "fun".

loljokesss
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by loljokesss »

Hence why I said "Some"

Again, they're totally free to protest or "riot" if they want. As an American, I wish we took Canadian issues more seriously. But at any rate, looks like I won't be getting much further in this argument.

teafreak22
Lurker
Lurker

Post by teafreak22 »

Bi-winning wrote:
loljokesss wrote:

Most Black Canadians do not have any American relatives and are first or second generation Carribean or African immigrants with zero U.S ties. So that's not the "reason". People here just see something going
On in the states and desire to copy it (like the 1992 copy cat Toronto riots over Rodney king). The G20 riot four years ago in Toronto was chaos as well, there were some people trying to protest for a cause and then all these people just decided to loot, steal and burn things just for "fun".
So people can't be in solidarity with each other? Empathize? Injustice is a global struggle. If anything like this happened in Canada, you know I'll be in solidarity with the Black Canadians and support. It's all about peacefully uniting for a cause to make a change. Unless you have asked them why they decided to protest in Canada, and really hear them out, you can't speak for them. I'm a minority, and I think it's very frustrating when people who are not of my race and religion speak for me all the time, especially when they have higher positions in power, for example the media.

Try going over and ask what they're supporting and why. You can't assume that they're doing it for fun for looting, or they want to copy what's happening in the US. That's not just not right, especially when it's not the intention of most people who decide to protest. Please don't belittle the cause they're standing up for their brothers and sisters of the world.

Speaking all from love and peace.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

^ I said some want to do a peaceful protest at the U.S embassy others however (black and white) are planning something else. There will always be bad people willing to take advantage of tragedy. The college aged kids being the worst. Many are pissed off for other reasons here over rising tuition, student poverty ect and just want to take it out on that city.

teafreak22
Lurker
Lurker

Post by teafreak22 »

^Not some. A lot. Some may take advantage and loot and that's not right. I'm just saying don't assume that that is the reason why the majority want to protest or that Black Canadians are stupid for protesting.

I'm from a UC and the UC regents here just passed a 27% tuition hike. We've occupied a building here on campus. Yet tonight, we'll be holding a vigil/protest for Mike Brown tonight. We're not planning on destruction. Just solidarity.

Gaga
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Gaga »

I work for several justice organizations and write for national publications, and NO "planned riots" have been organized. The verdict will most likely not be in Mike Brown's favor, and if people react negatively to that then that's on them, but nowhere in America are black citizens planning or openly talking about planning or starting riots. It's funny how it took hours for cops to show up in riot gear during that pumpkin patch riot situation, but Ferguson was turned into a war zone so quickly.

I'm black, and I can speak for other black people and say that we are tired. Black people (men especially) are being killed on a daily basis for "crimes" or doing nothing at all, that people of other races have walked away from/been detained unharmed. How can you (another race) open fire on a crowd, or carry a loaded weapon in a store, but a black kid brings a clearly obvious toy gun onto a playground and gets gunned down for it??

How is it okay that a video of three white grannies getting high for the first time is cute and goes viral, but Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown and Renisha McBride were all vilified for smoking weed previously, or having weed in their system when they died? Why did the Boston bomber get pegged as a "man with a bright future" or a "rockstar" while Mike Brown was painted as just another thug? How is it okay to kill a black boy for having his music up too loud? How is it okay to shoot an unarmed black woman who is bloody and hurt, and is only asking for help? How is it okay to drag an elderly black woman out of her home and do an unlawful search because she "looked like a criminal?" How is it okay to choke and kill a black man in the streets for selling a cigarette? The list goes on, and on, and this what we as black people are fighting over.

Yes other races get killed everyday, but that's not a justification for us to not be upset or angry. How come people can riot and protest over Joe Paterno but not Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin, or the next black person we will see on tv in the coming days killed by police over something stupid or over nothing at all?

=

Ply
Informer
Informer

Post by Ply »

I live in St. Louis, and I can tell you that it's a scary mess. Everyone is freaking out. It's not good. I'm hoping for justice and peace. <3

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit »

I'm very sad and upset about what has been decided. Everything about this is so very messed up. I hope everyone can protest in peace out of respect for the victim and his loved ones, I would partake myself if I could.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

Bi-winning wrote:^ atypical to be shot 6 times? In Canada a teen threatening people with a knife on a bus was shot a total of 8 times by police and killed. Another case here there was a mentally ill woman who charged at a police officer with a knife, also shot as many as six times and killed. When someone behaves violently they are just asking for trouble. Regardless of their race. In most countries if you mess with police you lose your life.
I just want to start off by saying that I am Canadian as well and you make me sick. You're so ignorant and naive, it's actually sad. You seem like the type of person who watches Fox News. :roll: I really hope you're not from Toronto cause it would be really upsetting to know that you're so ignorant yet you live in one of the most multicultural cities in the world.

I also don't get the point in mentioning the Sammy Yatin case. Yes he had a knife, yes he was shot 8 times, yes he died, but guess what? The cop actually got CHARGED with second degree murder. I don't see why you're comparing the two. Mike Brown didn't have a weapon and was shot to death. What happened to the cop who murdered him? Oh right, NOTHING.
I don't go to school in Toronto (although I am from Toronto). I know a lot of people who go to St George and Ryerson. There were no riots planned - just peaceful demonstrations. Which is amazing and I'm so proud of the people who are doing so because the weather is horrible. The winds are at 70 km/hr and it's raining, yet they're out there. There's also some planned for tomorrow. But who cares about the positive aspect? People like you like to focus on false and negative rumors since it brings you some sort of comfort.

You're saying it's useless for people to focus on this case since it didn't happen in Canada yet you made a post about it? What is going on in that head of yours? You're really confused and it's concerning. Do you feel the same way about people who peacefully protest regarding things happening in war stricken countries as well?
Bi-winning wrote: Most Black Canadians do not have any American relatives and are first or second generation Carribean or African immigrants with zero U.S ties. So that's not the "reason".
You also said most black Canadians have no ties to the states, WRONG. You were better off saying some than most. There are actually a lot of black Canadians with family in the states, especially down south and in the Eastern states. Also, here's a mini history lesson for you. Nova Scotia & Southwestern Ontario has a large black population. They are not from the Caribbean or West Africa like a lot of the black population in the GTA. They're actually people of African-American descent. You know the people who fled Colonial America as slaves. And before you make a petty comment about you not knowing to know this information because you're not black or something along those lines, I'm not black either and this was taught to me in elementary and middle school.

Reading your comments just proves that you're a sad person. You clearly have access to the internet, EDUCATE YOURSELF.

loljokesss
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by loljokesss »

Standing O for you peachesnoranges.

At any rate, I hope everyone stays safe with the ruling now out. I'm incredibly disappointed and saddened for Brown's family and friends and the entire community/United States.

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit »

peachesnoranges wrote: You seem like the type of person who watches Fox News.
This was literally the first thing I thought when she mentioned 'race baiting'.

Well said! <3

Winnie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Winnie »

I feel like the media is trying to encourage riots so they'll have something to cover. It's a great excuse for conservative news organizations to continue painting black people as dangerous animals which will just continue the cycle of violence against innocent people of color. Some of the comments in this thread are just embarrassing. Pick up a book about the politics of racism before you go running your mouth about shit you don't understand.

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn »

Bravo peachesnoranges! The ignorance kills me.

I am listening on my police scanner and there's rioting here in So Cal. I hate opportunists that are just out to 'play' and 'have fun' with this.

Also CNN is a hot mess if you're in the mood. F-bombs like mad, tear gas, stupid reporters...

---
I feel like the media is trying to encourage riots so they'll have something to cover.
Oh, there's no doubt.

kayuhsee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kayuhsee »

I'm so disgusted about the decision. I knew it was going to happen but it all seems worse actually hearing it. I'm kind of nervous since I'm in DC during this, but looking at Twitter and stuff it seems to be pretty peaceful.

Return to “News and Current Events”