Mass riots planned across the U.S over Michael Brown

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Mass riots planned across the U.S over Michael Brown

Post by white trash sparkles »

So apparently riots are planned all over the U.S if Darren Wilson is not indicted (which he likely won't be). This honestly would terrify me if I was an American. Be safe and stay out of the big cities if you can.

frenchfriesandpizza
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mass riots planned across the U.S over Michael Brown

Post by frenchfriesandpizza »

National Guard is already on call in Louisiana, no fly in Ferguson, swat and police have been issued riot gear.. Government clearly already knows the conviction and what's about to happen. Thing is though it won't stop in Lousiana, within a few days the whole nation will be in a state of riots followed by marshall law. This shit's going to be chaos I don't think anyone is aware of what's really going on.

America is about to go nuclear and it's terrifying

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

frenchfriesandpizza wrote:National Guard is already on call in Louisiana, no fly in Ferguson, swat and police have been issued riot gear.. Government clearly already knows the conviction and what's about to happen. Thing is though it won't stop in Lousiana, within a few days the whole nation will be in a state of riots followed by marshall law. This shit's going to be chaos I don't think anyone is aware of what's really going on.

America is about to go nuclear and it's terrifying
It's nuts. And the worst part is loads of these people are opportunists (using this as an opportunity to steal and do whatever they want completely unabated). They think of it as "fun".

kayuhsee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kayuhsee »

I totally get where they are coming from, but riots are not the answer. It's just going to cause more negative attention to the cause and won't help them at all. I know people are all up in arms that the national guard being ready if needed, but it makes sense! These riots have potential to be deadly and there needs to be people ready to keep others safe.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

kayuhsee wrote:I totally get where they are coming from, but riots are not the answer. It's just going to cause more negative attention to the cause and won't help them at all. I know people are all up in arms that the national guard being ready if needed, but it makes sense! These riots have potential to be deadly and there needs to be people ready to keep others safe.
Where are they coming from? No riot is justified. Trust me when I say most of these people are opportunists. There are people looking to exploit the situation just to loot and cause problems.

VeronicaSawyer

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

^They're coming from a place of, this person is getting away with murder, and that's just not acceptable (a murder and subsequent legal proceedings that were also rooted in racism). It's an extremely contentious issue and it's completely understandable that people want their voice to be heard in a clear message that it's not right. Obviously, the more appropriate and helpful response is civil disobedience, but, that's where they're coming from.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

^ behaving like this is unfounded. Because of one police officer? Really? Mass rioting and threats of violence to the innocent. Most of the rioters are grown men who should know better. The children who were interviwed back in August in Ferguson Mo. said they were so terrified of the rioting going on outside their houses they were hiding in their basements and praying with their families. How is that fair for the women and children?

WhatsThePoint
Learner
Learner

Post by WhatsThePoint »

I'm sure we'll have some people who try to riot, but most people who threaten actions like this are pussies and won't actually follow through with it, because they know the police would dominate them if it came down to it.

The nation won't be in some state of chaos or marshall law. There's been equal and worse cases than this and came no where near that type of reaction, because A. most people are smart enough to realize that hurting their own communities does no good, and B. The ones who are too stupid to realize point A are usually at least smart enough to know the police and if need be national guard would retain them with relative ease.

I will enjoy seeing the extremely stupid people who do riot get pepper sprayed and the like, though. Cause chaos and tragedy in your town over a tragedy happening elsewhere. Fantastic logic.

Anonimal
Talker
Talker

Post by Anonimal »

Bi-winning wrote:^ behaving like this is unfounded. Because of one police officer? Really? Mass rioting and threats of violence to the innocent. Most of the rioters are grown men who should know better. The children who were interviwed back in August in Ferguson Mo. said they were so terrified of the rioting going on outside their houses they were hiding in their basements and praying with their families. How is that fair for the women and children?

I wish I could clap forever for this post. Honestly, instead of wasting time rioting, people should be at home trying to educate their kids and keep them from committing crimes. I don't think what the officer did was right in any way, but there would not have been any shadow of doubt about the officer's guilt if Michael Brown had never committed any crime. All the families want to play the victim, and I get that they're hurt, but where were they when their kids were stealing and mugging people.

Stopping violence with violence doesn't work. There's so many other ways people could raise awareness.

ETA: And you're right on point about the opportunists. A lot of the people that get involved aren't even in it for a cause. Usually it ends up with a bunch of people being robbed, and a lot of people being injured.

weetabix
Debater
Debater

Post by weetabix »

^martial law

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit »

Anonimal wrote:
Bi-winning wrote:^ behaving like this is unfounded. Because of one police officer? Really? Mass rioting and threats of violence to the innocent. Most of the rioters are grown men who should know better. The children who were interviwed back in August in Ferguson Mo. said they were so terrified of the rioting going on outside their houses they were hiding in their basements and praying with their families. How is that fair for the women and children?
It's not just because of one police officer though. It's because of one police officer who shot an innocent man and is being protected by the system. It's about an entire idea and system that lives in the US. People are upset because this was a pointless, racist death and they have a right to be angry and complain. I'm not a fan of violence, but I don't think there's anything wrong with peaceful protests. I hope everyone stays calm and decides that there's no point to actual violent riots, but I honestly don't expect horrible chaos or destruction either way.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

^ racism? I think you need to better familiarize yourself with this story. People are killed by the police every single day all over the world! Black, white and Asian. If you act up in front of a police officer then they can assign themselves the right to shoot you (as terrible as that sounds) it has nothing to do with race. From my understanding if you read the actual FBI statistics white on black crime is very rare. The mainstream media in the US has an obvious agenda and is deliberately trying to race bait (turn people against each other). It's really despicable.

VeronicaSawyer

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

^Seriously? No race element involved? An innocent black kid was killed by a white cop, and the white cop is getting away with it is because he killed a black kid, because he's benefitting from white privilege? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you're Canadian. You don't seem to be familiar with race relations in the US. FBI statistics mean nothing. These people see racism from the police and other government institutions every day. Even if there wasn't racist motivation in the killing, or the legal case (extremely unlikely), it will be viewed that way. There is an incredible amount of anger surrounding the issue, and understandably so. As has been stated many times, peaceful protests and other forms of civil disobedience are the proper response, and rioting and violence are never the right answer. Unfortunately these people seem to feel like peaceful protests aren't enough.

And "act up"? A police officer only has the right to shoot you if you are a direct threat to someone else's life. Believe it or not, police officers can murder people. Killing someone for "acting up" is murder, no matter who's pulling the trigger.

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit »

I think you're very naive if you actually believe that Michael Brown being shot had nothing to do with his race. A police officer can't just decide to shoot you if you're not a danger to him or others. The officer shot him six times, twice in the head. That's not trying to protect yourself. If you want to stop someone, you shoot them in the knee or something like that. You can't just kill someone who isn't even pointing a gun at you. Shooting someone the way the officer did isn't the norm, it's not what is taught during police training, it's not responsible and it is very hateful and vindictive. Even if he wasn't actually actively thinking 'he's black, I should shoot him', he did act in a way that wasn't justified. We know there's a problematic relationship between black people and white people in that area. We know black people get judged a lot harsher because of stereotypes. We know black people get arrested more often. The race baiting you brought up is very disrespectful to all the people who have been a victim of racism. I really don't believe the officer would've made the same decisions if the boy had been white.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

^ atypical to be shot 6 times? In Canada a teen threatening people with a knife on a bus was shot a total of 8 times by police and killed. Another case here there was a mentally ill woman who charged at a police officer with a knife, also shot as many as six times and killed. When someone behaves violently they are just asking for trouble. Regardless of their race. In most countries if you mess with police you lose your life.

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit »

He wasn't threatening people with a knife and most likely wasn't charging the police officer according to the autopsy report. To my knowledge, there is no evidence that he was behaving violently? I believe the autopsy report said the shots to Michael Brown's head were fired when he was already falling to the ground. That's not self-defense. I don't remember every detail, so feel free to inform me if I'm mistaken about anything.
Last edited by sillyrabbit on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

VeronicaSawyer

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

A police officer only has the right to shoot you if you are a direct threat to someone's life. If someone is killed by a police officer for "messing with them," it is, in fact, murder. The fact that anyone could simply accept people being killed unlawfully is shocking and sad.

WhatsThePoint
Learner
Learner

Post by WhatsThePoint »

sillyrabbit wrote:If you want to stop someone, you shoot them in the knee or something like that.
Just to clear something up, police officers(speaking only in the US) are not trained to use their firearm to shoot someone in the knee(for a variety of reasons, which include much higher chance of missing, a bullet to the knee can still potentially be deadly, etc), especially in close quarters. You aim for the broadest part of the body which is the torso. The reason for this is police officers aren't supposed to shoot their firearm unless it's because someone's life is in danger.

If they're going for a shot just to stop someone/the use of lethal force isn't necessary, then they turn to pepper spray and/or their taser. Or, at least, they're supposed to.

sillyrabbit
Learner
Learner

Post by sillyrabbit »

WhatsThePoint wrote:
sillyrabbit wrote:If you want to stop someone, you shoot them in the knee or something like that.
Just to clear something up, police officers(speaking only in the US) are not trained to use their firearm to shoot someone in the knee(for a variety of reasons, which include much higher chance of missing, a bullet to the knee can still potentially be deadly, etc), especially in close quarters.
Oh sorry, I know in some countries they are trained to shoot in the knee, but I was wrong to assume they do that everywhere. Thanks for the info!

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

sillyrabbit wrote:He wasn't threatening people with a knife and most likely wasn't charging the police officer according to the autopsy report. To my knowledge, there is no evidence that he was behaving violently? I believe the autopsy report said the shots to Michael Brown's head were fired when he was already falling to the ground. That's not self-defense. I don't remember every detail, so feel free to inform me if I'm mistaken about anything.
Conflicting stories so no one knows. Aren't police officers required to film stops and arrests for legal reasons??

But anyway, this thread was more about the possible riots than Michael Brown and the Officers confrontation.

Return to “News and Current Events”