Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BotoxCrush - Samantha Maria Pt20

Post by loveherhateher »

n0seyneighbour wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:43 am
Does anyone remember that video of Sam and Jason sort of being a bit dicky about people asking them of they'd raise Indie to know her black side/culture??

Sent by my nosey fingers
I don't remember the video but that would make anyone respond in a dicky way, don't you think? Just because she's on youtube doesn't mean people have the right to police how she plans to raise her child. If those same folks saw an interracial couple walking in the street with their child, would they ask them that? In my opinion, Sam doesn't know a lot about being black for exactly the reasons she explained in her video...she lives in England where the majority of people don't look like her. Had she had a black mom and a semi-involved white father, she would have been raised around black family members and would likely have black siblings. Grace (Uglyfaceofbeauty) doesn't know much about being black either. She just doesn't have to deal with the questions about race because she has loose curly hair and doesn't wear weaves. I just think that Sam has had to deal with some crazy racial shit both within her family (growing up a black woman around only white people can FUCK YOU ALL THE WAY UP) and from social media. She sort of fell into the influencer thing and it was not the right place for her -- she has the wrong constitution for constant public scrutiny.

jelly-slug
Talker
Talker

Post by jelly-slug »

loveherhateher wrote:
n0seyneighbour wrote:
Does anyone remember that video of Sam and Jason sort of being a bit dicky about people asking them of they'd raise Indie to know her black side/culture??

Sent by my nosey fingers
I don't remember the video but that would make anyone respond in a dicky way, don't you think? Just because she's on youtube doesn't mean people have the right to police how she plans to raise her child. If those same folks saw an interracial couple walking in the street with their child, would they ask them that? In my opinion, Sam doesn't know a lot about being black for exactly the reasons she explained in her video...she lives in England where the majority of people don't look like her. Had she had a black mom and a semi-involved white father, she would have been raised around black family members and would likely have black siblings. Grace (Uglyfaceofbeauty) doesn't know much about being black either. She just doesn't have to deal with the questions about race because she has loose curly hair and doesn't wear weaves. I just think that Sam has had to deal with some crazy racial shit both within her family (growing up a black woman around only white people can FUCK YOU ALL THE WAY UP) and from social media. She sort of fell into the influencer thing and it was not the right place for her -- she has the wrong constitution for constant public scrutiny.
Yeah I think Sam really did enjoy YouTube in the beginning. But the constant criticism can take its toll on anyone. I also feel that Sam is someone who is really impacted by social media comments etc. which is understandable of course. But yeah you need really thick skin these days to be online.

At the end of the day I feel like she’s doing the best she can but other factors (i.e. Jason, being a mom, etc) are really taking their toll on her you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jelly-slug
Talker
Talker

Post by jelly-slug »

n0seyneighbour wrote:Does anyone remember that video of Sam and Jason sort of being a bit dicky about people asking them of they'd raise Indie to know her black side/culture??

Sent by my nosey fingers
I don’t remember the vid but I can understand them getting upset about that question. The thing is, Indie is 1/4 Guyanese. It would be one thing if that side of her family were in the picture and she spent time with her Grandpa etc. But it seems that they’re not really close to that side. So Indie spends most of her time around her English side. I think she’ll know her background, but just like Sam she’ll identify as white despite being mixed race.

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

loveherhateher wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:04 pm
n0seyneighbour wrote:

Sent by my nosey fingers

If I remember correctly it was the podcast when they were asked about raising Indie + race the video and for me, it was less that his response was dicky, and more that he literally said: "of course, we'll teach her about slavery". That made me realise that it's lucky that Indie doesn't look phenotypically mixed because if she ever comes across racism she has two very ignorant parents. In my opinion, we shouldn't be policing parenting, but especially in terms of Indie and race because at the end of the day, she's not black or even half black. Indie looks white and doesn't have much connection to the black side of her family so logically her racial make-up probably won't have a big impact on her life.

I understand that Sam doesn't feel connected to her black side but I think saying she lives in England so "the majority of people don't look like her" is ridiculous. It's not like she's from Norway of a small village in the middle of nowhere. She has always lived in or around London, there are tons of people that look like her. I think the issue with Sam is that she never took it upon herself to be inquisitive about her Guyanese side or "black" culture and for a big chunk of time it really seemed like she was pretending to be someone else like she was passing as "exotic" rather than half black. Personally, I think Sam gets a lot more slack compared to Grace or even Tasha is beyond just her hair, but the way she approaches race and presents herself to the world.

loveherhateher
Informer
Informer

Post by loveherhateher »

monki wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:03 am
loveherhateher wrote:
n0seyneighbour wrote:

Sent by my nosey fingers

If I remember correctly it was the podcast when they were asked about raising Indie + race the video and for me, it was less that his response was dicky, and more that he literally said: "of course, we'll teach her about slavery". That made me realise that it's lucky that Indie doesn't look phenotypically mixed because if she ever comes across racism she has two very ignorant parents. In my opinion, we shouldn't be policing parenting, but especially in terms of Indie and race because at the end of the day, she's not black or even half black. Indie looks white and doesn't have much connection to the black side of her family so logically her racial make-up probably won't have a big impact on her life.

I understand that Sam doesn't feel connected to her black side but I think saying she lives in England so "the majority of people don't look like her" is ridiculous. It's not like she's from Norway of a small village in the middle of nowhere. She has always lived in or around London, there are tons of people that look like her. I think the issue with Sam is that she never took it upon herself to be inquisitive about her Guyanese side or "black" culture and for a big chunk of time it really seemed like she was pretending to be someone else like she was passing as "exotic" rather than half black. Personally, I think Sam gets a lot more slack compared to Grace or even Tasha is beyond just her hair, but the way she approaches race and presents herself to the world.
To be fair, though, his response is not different from what many people (not black) think of when they think of "black history". Personally, I remember what I was taught in middle school and high school about African American and African history and most if not all of it revolved around the slave trade and Jim Crow (the latter, very minimally). And I went to a a private, top-tier institution. Luckily, I had external forces filling in the blanks for me, and also took a few related courses for my degree, but it's startling how many holes are in the high school curriculum when it comes to black history. I don't imagine that British History curriculum fills in those blanks any better, so I don't really fault Jason (or Sammi) for that matter.

I agree that England isn't necessarily homogenous, but again, her mom raised her alone, amongst her own family and don't forget she's very, very fair with light eyes...I can see that making her feel isolated from the black community as well. With her father being less involved, I can imagine that she wasn't told a lot about her culture or his family. (Has she ever even been to Guyana?!?) She may have felt that she would be disrespecting her mom if she wanted to find out a lot about her dad and his family. Family dynamics are a twisted, twisted web. I will say though that for England...seeing how the media has been reacting to and portraying Meghan Markle, makes me absolutely certain that Sammi didn't have an easy time of it and that all comes together in the way she never corrected anyone who thought she was "exotical" and that her curly weaves were her hair. I mean her husband didn't even know that wasn't her hair and we don't even know how long she let him think that.

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

loveherhateher wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:17 pm
monki wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:03 am
loveherhateher wrote:
n0seyneighbour wrote:

Sent by my nosey fingers

To be fair, though, his response is not different from what many people (not black) think of when they think of "black history". Personally, I remember what I was taught in middle school and high school about African American and African history and most if not all of it revolved around the slave trade and Jim Crow (the latter, very minimally). And I went to a a private, top-tier institution. Luckily, I had external forces filling in the blanks for me, and also took a few related courses for my degree, but it's startling how many holes are in the high school curriculum when it comes to black history. I don't imagine that British History curriculum fills in those blanks any better, so I don't really fault Jason (or Sammi) for that matter.

I agree that England isn't necessarily homogenous, but again, her mom raised her alone, amongst her own family and don't forget she's very, very fair with light eyes...I can see that making her feel isolated from the black community as well. With her father being less involved, I can imagine that she wasn't told a lot about her culture or his family. (Has she ever even been to Guyana?!?) She may have felt that she would be disrespecting her mom if she wanted to find out a lot about her dad and his family. Family dynamics are a twisted, twisted web. I will say though that for England...seeing how the media has been reacting to and portraying Meghan Markle, makes me absolutely certain that Sammi didn't have an easy time of it and that all comes together in the way she never corrected anyone who thought she was "exotical" and that her curly weaves were her hair. I mean her husband didn't even know that wasn't her hair and we don't even know how long she let him think that.
I think i probably learnt about slavery from a t.v. show or something, as a black British person it's not our culture, most of our parents aren't sitting us down and teaching us about American slave trade. That's why it was an ignorant and strange answer because slavery isnt the response you'd get from most non-black British ppl when asked about black people.

Again, I'm not arguing that it's wrong that Sam feels a disconnect from her Guyanese culture but as she got older she chose to continue and maintain that disconnect - which is totally her prerogative. But it's not like Sam didn't spend anytime with her Dad growing up, she's mentioned spending time with him over summer.

Also Sam would have had contact with general black British culture, living in London/around London but has also stayed away from that. Sam's not the first mixed girl to grow up in a white family in London, look at Grace and Tasha both who seem to be perfectly comfortable in their race.

Yes I'm sure that Sam didn't have an easy time growing up but thats just being an ethnic minority in Europe... but being a similar age as Sam growing up in a town close to here's I can tell you for a fact that her pale skin and and green eyes made it a little easier for her with both white & black communities because everyone loves a fair skin green eyed mixed girl, as long as she doesn't join the royal family. I grew up with tons of mixed kid with similar family dynamics to Sammi's not one of them were isolated by black communities.

Sam has never been to Guyana but she's mentioned it a handful of times over the years. The girl has money to travel, she does travel, so if she wanted to go she'd just go.

I've basically written this long novel bashing the Sammi, but that's not really my point. Of course Sam feels closer to the white community I don't fault her for that, it's natural. She also obviously has some internal battles going, for example how difficult it was for her to get a braided hair style. So I'm not saying Sam didn't live through some traumatic stuff being mixed and having 4c hair surrounded by most white family members but at this point she's a near 30 year old Londoner that knows less about black British culture than a lot of white/Asian people, that's a choice she made. I just find it all very sad.

ohnoitsher
Learner
Learner

Post by ohnoitsher »

"because everyone loves a fair skin green eyed mixed girl, as long as she doesn't join the royal family."
-Oop!
SHIT, MY FUCKING WIG JUST FLEEEEEWWWW
Everything you said above was perfect. Trying to explain life as a minority BRITISH person always seems to get lost in translation some how. Hit the nail on the head and then some! Like someone else said, I feel sad for Sam.

ohnoitsher
Learner
Learner

Post by ohnoitsher »

"because everyone loves a fair skin green eyed mixed girl, as long as she doesn't join the royal family."
-Oop!
SHIT, MY FUCKING WIG JUST FLEEEEEWWWW
Everything you said above was perfect. Trying to explain life as a minority BRITISH person always seems to get lost in translation some how. Hit the nail on the head and then some! Like someone else said, I feel sad for Sam.

frizzzx86
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by frizzzx86 »

following

emmagossiper
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by emmagossiper »

She would be a foreigner in Guyana. It’s complicated topic. Actually it looks similar to what asian American adoptees experience when they go to Asia. Look at Claire Marshall. She was raised by her white single mother. I think it creates a lot of personality issues.

It’s like you aren’t accepted into white society even though you’re white inside and you’re not gonna be accepted in your historic homeland because everything is foreign to you.

n0seyneighbour
Debater
Debater

Post by n0seyneighbour »

emmagossiper wrote:She would be a foreigner in Guyana. It’s complicated topic. Actually it looks similar to what asian American adoptees experience when they go to Asia. Look at Claire Marshall. She was raised by her white single mother. I think it creates a lot of personality issues.

It’s like you aren’t accepted into white society even though you’re white inside and you’re not gonna be accepted in your historic homeland because everything is foreign to you.
That comparison isn't right.. Claire has no connection to her Asian family and she was adopted, Sam was raised by her bio mum and she had access to her father as she's mentioned previously.. Going to Guyana may be a bit much for her, she's not exactly smart or socially aware or interested in learning but I'm sure there's a community of islanders in London, look at Tia Ward and all the sort of people she hangs out with, even she jokes that she has too many mixed race (B&W) friends .. If a foreigner like me can find a community of people to relate to in London so can she.. She's has no interest and that's her choice..

Sent by my nosey fingers

Juni18
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Juni18 »

Long time lurker here...

Although I agree Sam shows no interest in her Guyanese heritage, I myself am half Guyanese half white and unlike Sam was raised fully around my Guyanese family as it’s my mum who is form Guyana. However despite this I’ve never been, and my mum hasn’t been back since she left when she was 9. Guyana isn’t the type of country in my opinion that you can just hop on a plane and go to without any knowledge of the country. As much as I love my heritage and know all about it, my family often say Guyana is not very ‘tourist friendly’ unlike other Caribbean countries so I wouldn’t go without a family member who knows it well

saywhatyouwant2me
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by saywhatyouwant2me »

Juni18 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 am
Long time lurker here...

Although I agree Sam shows no interest in her Guyanese heritage, I myself am half Guyanese half white and unlike Sam was raised fully around my Guyanese family as it’s my mum who is form Guyana. However despite this I’ve never been, and my mum hasn’t been back since she left when she was 9. Guyana isn’t the type of country in my opinion that you can just hop on a plane and go to without any knowledge of the country. As much as I love my heritage and know all about it, my family often say Guyana is not very ‘tourist friendly’ unlike other Caribbean countries so I wouldn’t go without a family member who knows it well

Fair that she might not have family to go Guyana with but she went to Palestine??? I'm sure not every single inch of Guyana is a no go area. I went to Jamaica, not being Jamaican myself, with no Jamaicans, not knowing anyone there and during a state of emergency because there have been that many homicides. If people want to travel somewhere they will. She has no interest.

Juni18
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Juni18 »

saywhatyouwant2me wrote:
Juni18 wrote:
Long time lurker here...

Fair that she might not have family to go Guyana with but she went to Palestine??? I'm sure not every single inch of Guyana is a no go area. I went to Jamaica, not being Jamaican myself, with no Jamaicans, not knowing anyone there and during a state of emergency because there have been that many homicides. If people want to travel somewhere they will. She has no interest.

Jamaica is different from Guyana in terms of safety/ tourism. Sam clearly has no interest going despite all this however I wanted to point out that even if she did want to go it’s not as simple to visit as some may assume. I’d love to go to Guyana however my family have acknowledged it may not be safe for me to visit without someone with knowledge of the country.

BoobyJ16
Lurker
Lurker

Post by BoobyJ16 »

Did you see her repost of "Inthefrow's" long-winded rant about how "unfair" it was that Instagram has changed up the algorithm, and how it has affected the mental health of so many people, because they are no longer getting as many likes and comments on their pictures. It was framed as sympathy for small business owners who can no longer use the platform to reach new customers, but of course it was actually about influencers like them. She even had the cheek to scold Instagram for putting the profit of their own company above the profit of users. Give me a break!

The fact that she could relate to that was a little insight into Sam's mind. She is floundering because she is losing followers across the board. And everything she is doing is a stunt. Is she even 30? How long before she has to find a regular job?

I can't believe Grace, as horrid as she is, is doing far better than Sam at this point. As lazy, moany and as tired as she always is!

plantlady4eva
Debater
Debater

Post by plantlady4eva »

Juni18 wrote:
saywhatyouwant2me wrote:
Juni18 wrote:
Long time lurker here...

Jamaica is different from Guyana in terms of safety/ tourism. Sam clearly has no interest going despite all this however I wanted to point out that even if she did want to go it’s not as simple to visit as some may assume. I’d love to go to Guyana however my family have acknowledged it may not be safe for me to visit without someone with knowledge of the country.

Absolutely agree. Sam has no interest in her heritage (thinking black culture = slavery is just disgusting and gross), but travelling to Guyana isn’t easy and best done with someone who knows the place, and even then, these countries are developing and changing rapidly.

I’m diaspora from a war torn country. Wasn’t safe to go back for decade of my life and when I did, I went with my mum and it was very hard for her (more so than me) because it was still very unsafe and everything changes so it’s disorienting.

The thing I think says it all about Sammi is that there is a huge black community in the UK. There are also books and libraries and museums and lots of other ways you can connect to culture. She didn’t have to wave a flag if she didn’t feel comfortable but she didn’t have to marry an ignorant douche and now that being black is getting her hits and likes, she suddenly connects. It just doesn’t sit well with me.

I still wish her the best but I just can’t pretend she isn’t doing some questionable things.

weasi
Stalker
Stalker

Post by weasi »

Jason trying out a new "career" again. I wonder what happened to the documentary he was filming!
C30B1299-FB56-4455-BA28-DD1409392D78.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

^^^^ 🙄🙄

Just. Get. A. Damn. Job.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

weasi wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:06 am
Jason trying out a new "career" again. I wonder what happened to the documentary he was filming!C30B1299-FB56-4455-BA28-DD1409392D78.png
This made me laugh. It's not really an announcement is it? It's not like he's leaving one job to pursue another, he's going from doing nothing to doing something.

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

weasi wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:06 am
Jason trying out a new "career" again. I wonder what happened to the documentary he was filming!C30B1299-FB56-4455-BA28-DD1409392D78.png
Fair enough if it's his passion or whatever and I always encourage people to go for their dreams but I'm also very practical. Jason has a family to support and a wife with a dwindling career he should be concentrating on bringing in money. He's had 101 projects that haven't just failed but he's not really bothered to try to succeed.

I don't know why but I actually thought he was going to try and make the whole woodwork thing a real business because he's actually talented at it and with Etsy he's customers would have been wider than his wife's followers and subscribers.

Also, there has been no mention of his documentary

Return to “BeautyCrush”