Help! How to get more weight

Moe424
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help! How to get more weight

Post by Moe424 »

Hey guys and gals! Okay, I have a problem: I'm very underweight, so much that you can see my ribs. I think that's very un healthy and I'm getting hate from people claiming I'm under-weight on purpose. I can assure you I'm trying for more weight but it's not happening. Here is some key things that I found out have a lot to do with it: I do eat all of my food until I'm full. I eat healthy but I snack on junk food. I started puberty but I haven't had my period yet. (I heard once you get deeper into puberty it messes with weight?) I try to get sleep, and run for at least 20 minutes. Nothing works!!! I have searched the web and the stupid stuff pops up. "Lay on the couch and eat chips! It's not to hard to get fat!" I want to be healthy, not over weight but in the middle. Does anyone else have this problem? Can you guys help a fellow girl? Please? :love2:
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look pretty.

lagunabiotch
Learner
Learner

Re: Help! How to get more weight

Post by lagunabiotch »

I completely understand where you are coming from I'm 24, have a BS in Nutrition and know everything about losing weight, but I have struggled to gain weight since high school. And the ridicule can be hard to deal with. Plus, it's an internal battle of wanting to eat healthy and wanting to gain weight at the same time. So here are some tips you can try.

Try getting more healthy fats into your diet. Fats are calorically dense so that you don't have to eat a lot of them to get a lot of calories. You can do little things such as: if you eat salad with olive oil try adding double the amount of oil that you usually do. Add peanut butter to your smoothies, cereal, and if you eat a banana or apple eat peanut butter with them. Instead of buying 0% fat yogurt get the full fat ones. Fats are always unfairly called the "bad guys" but your body needs fat for daily functioning, especially during puberty because fats make hormones ;)

Another thing you can do is instead of water with meals you can drink a glass of milk, soy milk, almond milk- what ever you like. This option is way better than drinking juice or soda but still keeps you hydrated like water with added benefits of vitamins, protein, fat, and the extra calories.

You don't need to snack on junk food for extra calories, your body is going to like you more if you snack on healthy things. Try a veggie of your choice with hummus (for extra calories), a fruit with some string cheese (again choose the cheese containing fats not the one that's fat free), nuts pack a big caloric punch in a small serving so try a yummy trail mix.

Add in some weight lifting to your running, adding more muscles to your frame will change your body shape and will help you gain weight and will likely increase your appetite as well.

Don't worry too much though, you are still young, your body is growing and changing as long as you are nourishing it with good things and exercising you are doing the right thing. I've been through/am going through the same thing as you are. People will never stop judging you but believe me if you have confidence in your body that is what will make you happy and their comments will just roll off your back.

hellocupcake
Debater
Debater

Post by hellocupcake »

lagunabiotch gave you some excellent and qualified advice, so I won't repeat what she said, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone! I was underweight until just a few years ago (I'm 31 now) and got similar comments growing up. You're not alone!

Moe424
Learner
Learner

Post by Moe424 »

Thanks you guys! I'm going to try it. Hopefully it will work. <3

seanymph
Debater
Debater

Post by seanymph »

I used to be really skinny and i was so insecure about it, these should help:
-Eat right before you go to sleep. This way your body does not have the chance to burn the calories off. Ensure is great for this, they are full of vitamins/nutrients.
-Ensures are great for anytime if you're trying to gain weight, actually, but if you drink one of these right before you go to sleep you should start to gain weight a lot faster...i also think they taste amazing lol.
-Whenever you can't decide what you want to eat--say its a toss up between 2 things--choose the one with the most calories.
-You can also do strength training...try to avoid excess cardio.

writerly
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by writerly »

Switch up your cardio for weight training. Even something like pilates will be great. Like others above said, it will help change your body structure. Further, you sound young (I'm assuming since you haven't started your period that you are at least younger than 13) and your body weight can fluctuate come puberty.

Moe424
Learner
Learner

Post by Moe424 »

Well, thanks you all, but I don't need anymore advice. I was sitting in my friends car, and my friends where in the back, and I got shotgun. My friends mom said this "I just can't lose weight. You don't know how good you and your family gots it. (My whole family are sticks :D ) I was soo shocked because no one has envied me of my weight. It's always been pity or hate. (Pity that they think I starve myself, and hate because they just hate me. ) That little comment changed my whole aspect of my mind. So, I would like to thank everyone for writing in this thread. <3 Moe out! 8-)

morganliz
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by morganliz »

If you're genetically underweight, you might want to try eating small amounts of protein powder while continuing a healthy diet!

Mottly92
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Mottly92 »

You can also add a high carbs gainer to your diet. Mixing it with milk for example. It really helped me to gain a couple of extra kilos. But notice, gainer works well mostly before and after weight training. And is probably senseless if you prefer cardio over barbells. Completely support the "more calories out than in" motto.

thisisbillie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by thisisbillie »

Not a solid suggestion but; I've been trying Slim Fast shakes to lose weight and have gained 5kg in about two months. Maybe add those on top of your regularly scheduled meals.

BernaTo
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by BernaTo »

You need to count daily calories first of all. Then, eat more frequently and add extras to your dishes for more calories. Take treats but remember they should also be healthy, don't abuse fast food or snecks.

Return to “Health”